Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's good, focus is good!

I won't get to post mine today, trying to hurry through before I hit the two hours of live watching happening on Supergirl board tonight But I'll get it there in the morning In the meantime, if you wanna get my short reactions from the last time I watched the series a few months back, you can hit the BMW season threads, they're all there
Awesome Nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ I'm sure the only thing you would have found in my post about the episode would have been "I liked it!" Giving me something to look for made me really watch the episode.

It's all good. I'll check it out when I get a chance. Do you mind if I move on to 1x02? I'm planning on watching the episode in about 12 hours.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't mind at all! I need to type my notes through episode six and won't get to it til tonight due to audition interview prep today
Old 08-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Setting up these next three episodes! (And I swear I will post my notes from the first six episodes, it's been hot and I've been cleaning, haven't felt like typing )

---------

[1x07] Grandma Was a Rolling Stone (Aired 12 Nov 1993)
Feeny's niece comes for a visit and Eric gets Morgan to help in asking her out. Cory and the kids grandma comes for the weekend and she makes a promise to Cory but he is disappointed when she leaves early, and he misses out on the fishing trip with Shawn and his dad.

[1x08] Teacher's Bet (Aired 19 Nov 1993)
Feeny makes a bet with Cory to teach his class for a week, if more students pass Cory wins, and if more students fail, Feeny wins.

[1x09] Class Pre-Union (Aired 26 Nov 1993)
Mr. Feeny gives an assignment to the class to predict where their life will be by their 20th class reunion.

When you are done, if you're looking for a few starting points, here are some quick questions (feel free to answer some or all or none at all):
  • If this was your first time watching, what were your impressions
  • If you're rewatching, what are your memories of this and do they hold up?
  • What made you laugh most?
  • Did anything make you cry?
  • How about them 90s?
  • Overall impression?
  • Notable quotes?
  • Parallels to Girl Meets World you noticed?
  • Anything else?

Finally, if you would like to carry on the conversation beyond this week and this thread, feel free to browse the thread guide for any number of Boy Meets World related discussion threads!
Old 08-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Elite Fan

My issue is I tend to take a lot of notes.
Quote:
she tossed her doll away so that Cory could have a seat at her tea party.
I know, so hilarious! Morgan is the best. She's all innocence and naivete until there's a touch of darkness or odd wisdom about her that makes a hell of a mix. She tosses that doll off like she knows it's not real and doesn't care if her 'sentient' friend lives or dies, then proceeds with all the courtesy gestures she's been taught accommodate a tea party as Cory joins her. It's like a much older person is trapped inside the body of a 5 yr old and still subject to the whims and pitfalls of that age (much like Stewie on "Family Guy").

Quote:
1x01

If you're re-watching, what are your memories of this and do they hold up?

Yeah, the first episode felt very familiar. I've probably watched it the most. In particular, I'll never forget:
  • Cory watching Feeney through the window. His date is not coming.
  • The Cory/Morgan tea party!
  • Eric telling Cory he's not taking him to the baseball game.

And some new impressions ...
  • So sweet of Morgan to offer Corey her doll. His rejection now comes off as harsh.
  • The mom is a lot more playful as a parent than I noticed before.
  • F: "How blissful it must be to have lived so little and yet already reached your conclusions about the greatest wonder of the universe [Love]." IRL, if I were to hear that sarcastic remark from my teacher, it'd strike fear into my heart and stress me out for days.

What made you laugh most?

Cory/Feeny interaction (see Quotes below), and Cory/Morgan.

Did anything make you cry?

No. Cory watching Feeny make a dinner for two one was and still is a somber moment. I totally bought the initial impression of him being alone and heartbroken, and was as shocked as Cory to learn it was Feeny's sister who cancelled, not some great love.

How about them 90's?
  • Eric: "Get real!" (takes tickets away)
  • Old school computer in the background while Cory's in detention
  • Cory playing Nintendo's "Duck Hunt"

Overall Impression

Pilot episodes are often quite bad. This is stellar for a pilot.

Notable Quotes

• Cory's immediate sarcasm with Mr. Feeny
C: "And how's that high vitamin astronaut drink you're sucking down?"
F: "There's no gravity in space. Therefore, astronauts suck UP. Learn from them."

• F: "Shakespeare wrote plays and sonnets, the Greeks wrote tragedies and comedies. Robert Burns, Emily Dickinson, the Brownings examined the depths of human emotions, and do you know what each one of these poets, playwrights, and philosophers have in common?"
C: "They all took your class?"

Parallels to GMW?
  • Feeny talks to Cory about the all-consuming nature of love. "… Are you aware that I'm only 11 years old?" <--- Did Riley ever say something like that on GMW? I feel like she may have, or at least someone.
  • Maybe having an enacted kiss scene from "Romeo and Juliet"
  • Cory and Riley both have an overdramatic mindscape and make exaggerated statements. I didn't even make this connection until now.

Cory being adorably overdramatic
  • Boys comparing lunches. Cory considers himself an orphan now. "It was mutual. They're keeping the house."
  • Detention is a "cruel and unusual life-sucking torture".
  • C: "… Because I don't understand anything about my entire life."

Other Stuff
  • Cory and Shawn's original "other" friend
  • Competition over who stayed up latest watching the late night talk shows. Real stakes when you're that age.
  • Man, I wish I had a treehouse like that.
  • Lesson: There is no greater aspiration than to have love in our lives (family, lovers).
I have my notes for 1x02 and 1x03, but will leave this post for now.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That is not an issue that is a marvelous, marvelous thing! More, more! Makes my notes seem minimal
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Elite Fan

Looking forward to your notes. Cool. Well, here's the next one.

Quote:
1x02

The only thing I really remembered from the episode was that Cory's paint job messed up Feeny's fence. It's kind of like how Stephanie driving a car into her family's living room on Full House stays as an indelible memory from your youth, because you already know what it's like to make a mistake in the adult world and fear the world is over (or in Cory's case, just his free time, lol).

• The appropo intro to Minkus!
  • Morgan cluelessly dialing 911, saying her family is busy shooting each other and she can't get down off the kitchen counter

No. It was really sweet that Cory ends up buying twin water guns for him and his dad, following his conclusion, "My dad is Superman". It wasn't too heavy-handed, and in lesser hands it might have been.

Hey, but here's kind of a dark moment. Cory explains working life/adulthood. He did the job 2-3 times, new issues came up, lost his free time, took in only $58 but in the end owes - $8 (debt). Then his dad says, "Well, at least you got this gun (the Super Soaker)." There it is, kids: the American quest for material possessions while being overworked/stressed by a system that leaves you in debt. ... I sure did not pick up on that when I first watched.

How about them 90's?

• Plaid vests
  • Super Soaker water guns
  • Eric's snazzy new "digital" watch
  • Eric's desire for the "Buns of Steel" video series
  • Alan's Nike pumps
  • C: "Get a pulse!" (aka, "Oh, please!")
  • Loose jean shirts

Overall Impression

Solid episode, as to be expected. I really miss simple TV plotlines like 'Cory wants a water gun, but how?' If you can get in the mindset of an 11 yr old (especially in 1993, about a year or two after the Super Soaker craze became popular), you know how overwhelming these desires are. Water fights were everything. I had the Super Soaker 50. Hell, even Minkus gets wild-eyed and blood-thirsty at one point.

Notable Quotes

Minkus: "I'm going to retaliate!" Of course he knows that word.

C: "I want to afford stuff!"
Alan: "So do I!"

Morgan: "I don't know how to tie a bow."
Eric: "So why did you tell me you did?"
M: "Because I'm self-confident."

Parallels to GMW?
  • Not really, but I know Riley and Maya stand in front of the class and shoot water guns in one episode.

Cory being adorably overdramatic (this category might become less than temporary )
  • C: "I've been out of work for 11 years!"
  • C: "If they can't afford to buy toys for 3 children, why did they HAVE 3 children?!"
  • Cory lies flat on his back after Feeny notices new undesired paint marks.

Other Stuff
  • Cory and Shawn have a new third friend. This one looks super familiar (the actor) but I can't place him.
  • The third friend's shirt says, "Everything On Money Free Up Education". Huh?
  • Lesson: Stay a kid as long as you can.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yay, more stuff!

They shot ping pong ball guns

As for the third friend, gotta love that rotation early on in the series
Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I expect to see more temporary friends.
Quote:
They shot ping pong ball guns
That's right. You know, the more I think about it, there probably are some parallels for 1x02 because I know there was one episode where Topanga tells Auggie to never grow up/not grow up too fast and I think Riley and her friends were also dealing with that theme.

I'm going to miss a lot of connections because I've only seen each GMW episode once and the detail of my memories is kind of lost unless it's a scene that comes up continuously in fan videos.

Quote:
1x03

Vague recollections of Feeny getting reflective with Cory on a deck.

C: "Does that really work, can she [mom] ground you?"
Alan: "In certain ways, yes."

Whoa. This reference to sex totally went over my head as a kid.

• Eric admitting to his mom that he'd given a hickey to a girl (see Quotes)
  • Cory 'sneaking a drink' at Feeny's, then realizing it's apple juice and being disgusted

Nope.

How about them 90's?
  • "Major Nozzles" (aka, losers)
  • "Feeny's a butt"
  • Mention of Perrier bottles crashing at the store. Perrier used to be the only bottled water of prominence, along with Evian.
  • Lenny saying that "call waiting is only pennies a day".
Overall Impression

Compared to the other two, this episode feels slightly less focused. But it's still excellent and funny, as I expect all S1 episodes to be. Nice to see Cory and Feeny just chilling in his backyard for once.

Notable Quotes

Eric to mom: (beat) "Okay, I sucked a neck."

Shawn: "Suck up."
Minkus: "Future Plumber."

F: "Understanding and condoning are too entirely different concepts." Wise words.

Parallels to GMW?

• Father/son bonding like this? Not so prevalent on GMW. I can't even think of a one-on-one scene between Cory and Auggie!
  • Alan sees that Cory's mom was right. The way she holds herself, it's similar to Topanga always being right with grown-up Cory.

Other Stuff
  • Parents full-on kissing! This is rare.
  • Alan is so similar to Cory
  • Lesson:
    - Sometimes two adults can think different things and both be right
    - Hold on to your kids/protect their interests over your own
    - There's more than one right way to raise a child
  • Demented POV: Imagine that Cory was affected so much by the themes of this episode that, in adulthood, he decides to take the teaching job as a means of spending a lot of time with his own kids.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great read as always!

A GMW rewatch might be in your future then? I sort of figure once we get through the BMW rewatch we would carry on into a GMW rewatch, but that is so far away
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, might be. We'll see.

I was just checking IMDB to compare number of episodes per season for each and discovered both shows are on Amazon Prime Video.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Do let us know if/when you do it

They're on my DVR and there they shall remain
Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

I find random streams of both shows, but have the first couple seasons of BMW on DVD if I choose to make it easy on myself.

Quote:
1x04

T: "Every time you're not true to yourself, the earth weeps." <--- As an adult, you learn this is actually kinda true. As a kid, it was just another strange saying out of Topanga's mouth.

I distinctly remember Topanga being the only one who doesn't laugh when Cory reveals his new hair in class. "Your hair looks different. Why would I laugh?" Immediately, you (and Cory) feel her potential for friendship and acceptance.

• Cory and Shawn's tag team presentation: overconfident, under-researched, and relating the pollution of our planet to their favorite baseball team.
  • Topanga's initial performance of "Donut In the Sky", with Cory narrating.
  • Shawn barges in to check on his hapless friend, sees Scary Topanga with lipstick smeared all over her face, and quips, " -- Use a mirror, babe."
  • Cory resigns himself to the weirdo table. Minkus reaches out his chopsticks and offers him some tofu.
  • Cory asks Derek why he wears a cape to school and he replies, "What cape?"
  • The first kiss between Cory and Topanga, chained and pinned to a locker after much protest (pun intended)

How about them 90's?
  • Reference to "Barney", which Cory apparently sings along to when his little sister is watching.
  • Cory's whole outfit. Shawn's whole outfit. Topanga's choker.
  • Cory fears his hair is like a "Chia Pet"
  • Morgan says "Hey, it's Punky Prewster!", when she sees Cory's new hair (because yes, the show was still on the air)
  • Normal students watch "Beavis and Butthead"
  • Polaroid camera
  • Mockery of "New Age" stuff, as the movement was experiencing a bit of a resurgence at the time. Performance art, Yanni-like music, tofu eating, being 'too in touch' with the earth and one's feelings.
  • Don King reference
  • Topanga's crimped hair

Notable Quotes

Topanga: "… You're vibrationally acceptable."
C: "Thanks …"

C: "Look, Topanga, is there any way we can do this assignment on the phone? Or by telepathy?"

M: "Mommy, if my dolly is cold, can I put her in the toaster oven?"
Amy: "No, honey, that would be a mistake."
M: "Mommy? I made a mistake."

C: "The ozone layer: It's got a hole. Wear a hat. (puts cap on) We're in, we're out."

T: "When people laugh at you, they're depleting their own karmic reservoir."
C: "You're gonna be one of those girls who doesn't shave her legs, aren't you?"

F: "Too many years of sixth graders have bled me of my humanity."

Minkus: "I'll take it [the petition]. I'm used to having objects hurled at my head."

C: "You don't know a thing about them. What do they like to do after school, what do they watch on TV …"
Nerd 1: "Crossfire?"
Nerd 2: "McNeil-Lehrar Report" (obviously)
Minkus: "I enjoy anything with Angela Lansbury."

C: "Life is strange and, now, so am I."

T: "It's not what you look like on the outside that matters. It's what kind of person you are."

Overall Impression

This is one of my favorite episodes of the series, if not THE favorite. And it's not even about being a fan of Cory and Topanga, though their scenes are awesome. It's just so damn funny, especially the portrayal of the contrasting lives/attitudes of the friend groups. The script is everything, and it's kept light-hearted. Cory is in a lovable stretch of extreme sarcasm and self-pity.

As a sidenote, I love that Cory got everyone in the school to sign the petition by appealing to their base desires as kids rather than understand the injustice being done to the librarian, because it's more realistic to his character at that age, funnier, and he still gets to inadvertently impress and join in with Topanga.

Parallels to GMW?
  • Topanga caring that Mrs. Rosemead, the librarian, not be fired as the result of age discrimination and developing a petition is very in tune with the grown up Topanga on GMW. Makes me think not just of her being a lawyer, but the old woman who worked at the bakery before she took over and that whole plotline. Which is appropirate, seeing as I think it was in that GMW episode that they included flashbacks to BMW 1x04.
  • The S1 episode where Riley decides to change things up and become Queen of the Nerds, changing her dress and hair, and gaining new friends
  • The GMW cast of characters are very accepting of their "weird table" friends (Farkle, Smackle) from the get-go, but there's maybe a common thread with the bullying episodes (in particular, Farkle's).
  • Cory willfully relegates himself to the weirdo table at lunch vs. Riley willfully standing in that weird H.S. staircase ditch. Such different tones between the shows, though. It's the element of the action being self-imposed that I'm looking at.
  • Cory and his alternative friends form a human wall in protest for Mrs. Rosemead. Was a human wall formed once on GMW? Not sure what I'm thinking of.

Cory being adorably overdramatic
  • C: "Shawn, I'm gonna rip my head off!" Rinses out hair. "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"
  • Corey believing that, because of his unfortunate hair treatment, he is now officially part of a new, lower class social tribe and banished from his previous life.

Other Stuff
  • Topanga's dad's name is Jedidiah? Really?
  • Shawn has an older sister, Stacey.
  • The classmate who was first in charge of the petition is an actress we know. She starred on a TNBC Saturday morning series.
  • Also, Marla Sokoloff as one of the cool girls in the beginning
  • Omg, there is a new third friend between Cory and Shawn at the end.
  • Aw, Cory gave Topanga his Philadelphia Phillies cap
  • Lesson: It's not what you look like on the outside that matters. It's what kind of person you are.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do so look forward to your notes

As to the making a wall thing, there wasn't so much a barricade kind of situation, but they did lock in together at the end of High School 2, to not get knocked around, that might be what you're thinking?

Shawn's sister that ceased to exist after that

I guess this could parallel a bit with Girl Meets Smackle, message wise...
Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I swear my notes will be posted eventually, I blame the house cleaning

---------

[1x10] Santa's Little Helper (Aired 10 Dec 1993)
Shawn's dad gets laid off right around Christmas, so Cory vows to get Shawn a present for Christmas this year. Santa Claus has a heart attack when Morgan sits on his lap, traumatizing her.

[1x11] The Father/Son Game (Aired 17 Dec 1993)
Cory and Eric don't want to play in the annual father/son baseball game and they both make excuses not to play in the game. Alan lies to them and says the game is canceled when it never was. Cory and Eric feel bad so they set up make-up game.

[1x12] Once in Love with Amy (Aired 7 Jan 1994)
Cory and Eric find out Amy has been lying about going to bowling and think she is having an affair. Mr. Feeny gives a math riddle to the class and Minkus gets it wrong while Topanga gets it right. Cory spends time trying to figure out the answer.

When you are done, if you're looking for a few starting points, here are some quick questions (feel free to answer some or all or none at all):
  • If this was your first time watching, what were your impressions
  • If you're rewatching, what are your memories of this and do they hold up?
  • What made you laugh most?
  • Did anything make you cry?
  • How about them 90s?
  • Overall impression?
  • Notable quotes?
  • Parallels to Girl Meets World you noticed?
  • Anything else?

Finally, if you would like to carry on the conversation beyond this week and this thread, feel free to browse the thread guide for any number of Boy Meets World related discussion threads!
Reply   Post New Thread