Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I think ABC Family should probably check its policy on statutory rape and illegal conduct with a minor before they tackle cheating, lol.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle (View Post)
I think ABC Family should probably check its policy on statutory rape and illegal conduct with a minor before they tackle cheating, lol.
Because it just seems like on shows like SAB its a national offense to have characters cheat or something.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Cheating just seems so mundane in the face of Ezra, lol. At least no grown ass man is putting cameras in the rooms of teenage girls, I hope?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Cheating just seems so mundane in the face of Ezra, lol. At least no grown ass man is putting cameras in the rooms of teenage girls, I hope?
No....not on Switched at birth
Old 03-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Elite Fan

I used to think I was deadset opposed to characters cheating, and then it started bothering me less. I guess it just depends on the circumstances and the particular characters involved.

If Derek cheated on Meredith, I would want him stoned and killed for being a jerk. But if someone noble like a Scott or Allison cheated, then I'd be less angered but more shocked and disappointed and it would suck more. Just cause you hold some characters to a higher regard cause they're legitimately heroes.

But then if we had Aria cheating on Ezra, I'd throw a a party every day. And Wade did cheat on Zoe on Hart of Dixie, but they still remain the OTP.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I fully acknowledged my lack of concern with cheating as long as I liked the cheaters on Sex and the City, lol- Carrie and Big's affair was WRONG WRONG WRONG, but I loved every last second of it. I feel like it's really the storyline that elevated the show into something more serious. So it sort of depends on how it's written.

ETA: and of course, then there's Scandal, which is essentially based on an affair.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It really does depend on the character. Aria desperately needs to cheat on Ezra. Like Liz said Scandal is based off of cheating and their are people rooting for Fitz and Olivia no matter how much Shonda tries to make him into a jerk. Lol Lucas and Peyton were cheating but damn how could you not root for them at the time? It was so tragic. Lol

With Big and Carrie I rooted for it because she clearly was not feeling Aidan and at least with Big he wasn't best friends with Aidan the way Peyton was with Brooke. And also kelly Taylor...
Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Yeah, there was at least that- Big didn't owe Aidan jack, lol. And I don't think the show ever pretended it was right (*cough*justhot*cough*). Carrie and Big were two people who had a connection that neither one understood or was really able to handle, and they massively screwed up. Everyone acknowledged that, and everyone called Carrie and Big to the mat. No one pretended either Natasha or Aidan was to blame for what happened, and Natasha was ultimately allowed to leave the marriage with her dignity. At the same time, the affair was actually the first time that Big was shown to have real layers, to be human and vulnerable and deeply flawed instead of Mr. Charming But Emotionally Unavailable. I remember being so shocked when he showed up at Carrie's door, looking trashed and rambling about how ****ed up he was.

Sigh. Sometimes I think TV was better in the late 90s-early to mid 00s.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's because tv was better in the 90's and 00s. Even award worthy shows now were not as great as the ones from back then. I also think Social Media screwed with writing. I just don't see Ezra and Aria making it as a big couple in the 90's. First us kids in the 90's thought adult/child relationship was gross back then. lol Second the are the driest couple to ever exist in fiction.

Could you imagine if Twitter was on during the 90's when people were fighting over Dylan, Brenda and Kelly? Or even during Dawsons Creek or One Tree Hill in it's hay day. The trending topics that goes on between the Se and DE stans would be nothing compared to the what was going down in the 90's early 00s. lol

When ever a writer denies that social media influences their storylines I always assume they are lying. TVD and PLL are huge about that.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Dude, don't make me imagine Twitter during DC, lol. As it was, the ship wars were brutal enough. I got in my fair share of scrapes about Aidan versus Big too, actually. And I will not back down, lol. Aidan was a nice enough guy, but he was thoroughly wrong for Carrie, and I was pretty seriously irritated in S4 when I felt like he was being protected at her expense (which might be why the plot of the second movie didn't bug me as much as some- yeah, Aidan was probably OOC, but better him than crucifying her further to protect him).
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Only reason I asking is because it just seems to be a big deal on a show like switched at birth because its suppose to be a family oriented show.. so when the main girl does its like all hell breaks loose about it.

and to be more specific... She got caught up in the moment with her ex boyfriend who was beat up by a classmate who pulled a prank on him.. But she was causally dating someone else, who she was't even sure she was into him all that much.

So I am just wondering if there is certain standards of morality issues such as cheating on family oriented shows..

I mean I for one don't think they should be because it just seems like every writer on every network wants to put that aspect in the show to some degree.

Last edited by ~AnastasiaGrey~; 03-30-2014 at 11:54 AM
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Oh, wait. This is a teenager? Dude, I barely even count that as cheating. LOL. And if she was casually dating, I'm even less likely to count it. Teenagers probably shouldn't be in exclusive relationships to begin with, and only enter into them for the romance of it all for the most part. Life will go on if you're cheated on in high school, lol.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Dude, don't make me imagine Twitter during DC, lol. As it was, the ship wars were brutal enough. I got in my fair share of scrapes about Aidan versus Big too, actually. And I will not back down, lol. Aidan was a nice enough guy, but he was thoroughly wrong for Carrie, and I was pretty seriously irritated in S4 when I felt like he was being protected at her expense (which might be why the plot of the second movie didn't bug me as much as some- yeah, Aidan was probably OOC, but better him than crucifying her further to protect him).
That's how i felt about Veronica in S3 and maybe even Lucas in S5 of OTH. Mark did a way better job with Peyton realizing she was still in love with Lucas without looking like the bad guy. I know Brooke fans will say Mark threw her under but I think Brooke was just a teenager who felt betrayed by two people she cared about so i didn't even mind how she took it out on Peyton. I don't think Brooke would've acted the same way with some random girl. I still to this day thinks she loved Peyton more than Lucas tbh.

I think SAB is just trying to amp up the drama with the cheating because this is the same network that wants us to root for a student/teacher relationship and a boy and his soon to be adoptive sister relationship so yeah cheating is easy peasy on ABCFamily.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

You mean in S1? The only time Veronica really approached cheating was on Leo, and they were very casually dating so I don't really count it, lol. I'm not saying it can't be hurtful, obviously it can be, but viewers have this bizarre tendency to view teenage cheating like it's the same thing as what happens in a marriage.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oops sorry, I didn't mean cheating. I mean making her a terrible character because of Piz. She didn't cheat. I just mean I don't like writers throwing characters under for relationships. And when she cheated on Leo she quickly dumped him so Veronica is not completely heartless. lol

Fitz cheating on Mellie is terrible but damn him and Liv are hot so... lol I really want Mellie to tell Fitz what happened to her but in her own terms. I felt awful for her when he was running his mouth. I love him but Shonda likes to put him in these positions where we're suppose to be annoyed by him. And this is another example of how writers like to throw people under. TVD did it with Elena when she started dating Damon and it's just tragic. Blech.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread