Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I'm apparently clueless about copyrights and regions and such, but I don't get why streaming stuff is blocked for other countries? It's not just Netflix, I also hear that people even who are in Canada can't see stuff from like, ABC.com and the like, and I don't get why that is. In terms of Netflix, I can see why the mailing system might be exclusive to the US, but not the streaming system.

Also, in terms of this movie, lol, (ahem) it would be great if indie producers could start taking advantage of things like iTunes and Netflix to get their movies out there sooner.
Cristofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Elite Fan

It's probably more to do with each country's media organizations freaking out that their income would be going to Netflix USA instead of them. I'm sure Netflix would be thrilled to have subscribers from everywhere if they were allowed.

Amen to the bottom comment.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Do you think that also has to do with why things like ABC.com get blocked? So strange to me, lol. At least there's always YouTube.

Indies have such a tough time with distribution- this seems like an easier way to control it more on their turf.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Elite Fan

I would think so. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but here in Aus, our ratings season is on an entirely different schedule to the US. If streaming was available for all US shows to the whole world, then I'm sure the networks in each country would have an aneurysm trying to get people to watch shows live when they've already been legally online for months.

The movie thing baffles me a bit. I don't know anything about how distribution works, but maybe there is a more guaranteed financial incentive to be backed by an actual distributor than hoping people pay for your movie on iTunes.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Well, that causes problems here in a way too, lol. There are so many ways to watch- DVR, On Demand, Netflix, online...and the ratings system just can't seem to catch up, shows get cancelled and they have way more viewers than the ratings reflect. You factor in DVR and streaming alone, and Fringe gets bumped up to 10 millions viewers and at least double the demos. Nikita was the third most popular Netflix streaming choice this week.

I know iTunes has actually helped independent bands, but I don't know how that would equate to independent films- sadly, Netflix might be better there, lol, because people are always looking for something new to stream and if you have one name to draw, such as Mischa, that could really help. But that could maybe be the case on iTunes as well.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, it's really bad that they are basically still measuring success in the same way they did years ago.

Hopefully we'll get to see this movie some time in the near future, whichever way they choose to go.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

The people in charge seem really dedicated to the project, which has always been frustrating.

The refusal of advertisers and network execs to acknowledge the rapidly shifting way people watch TV is really aggravating.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Elite Fan

Ben Banks on Wikipedia.
{Melody} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Elite Fan

According to Cinando.com, Ben Banks is now titled "The Misadventures of Ben Banks".

I really like the new name! If that is indeed the new name. Plus, there is a company called Spotlight Pictures listed with the movie.

Also, there is a log line:
Quote:
A fairy tale about beauty and the least.
And a synopsis:
Quote:
Ben Banks is the Forrest Gump of the slacker generation. He’s a young man without much drive or ambition, who stumbles into a series of strange and fascinating (mis)adventures. When he falls in love with a beautiful girl (Mischa Barton) with a mysterious past, he begins a journey that makes him discover being a grown-up isn’t so bad after all.
I don't know how accurate Cinando is as a source, but that all seems pretty official. Although, they have previously attached Mischa to a movie called "Passing Ships" that never happened. So who knows.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I agree, that's a sharper title.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Elite Fan

They did mention how they were getting lots of good advice from varying places. It seems to be working a treat, cause the movie is sounding more and more cohesive as new details emerge.

Really looking forward to a trailer since this was made on the tiniest of budgets. I wonder what the look and feel will be like.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I do really appreciate, as we've said before, how enthusiastic and involved everyone working on this project is. Even though it's a really small budget, people are really committed.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Elite Fan

The official title hasn't changed on IMDb yet, but under the "Also Known As" section it now says The Misadventures of Ben Banks USA (new title).
Old 11-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I really hope they stick with the new title- it's a lot more memorable.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Elite Fan

And gives the movie a description in the title. Ben Banks by itself didn't say anything.
Reply   Post New Thread