Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Elite Fan

This feels like it'll at least get some kind of indie release around LA and NY or something.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

The faster it gets an indie release, the faster we can see it on DVD, which is what counts, lol. Or maybe it'll even be released in DC when I'm around, like The Oh in Ohio.
Cristofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Elite Fan

Preach.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Elite Fan

I accidentally stumbled on this movie review, it gives quite a few details.

'Ben Banks' movie pre-screened, critiqued

Ben Banks: The Movie

Last semester there was a big to-do among DSC students and St. George residents alike as a flock of filmmakers descended upon southern Utah to film "Ben Banks: The Movie", which is in post-production and will be available to the masses soon."

Writer/director Bryce Clark returned last week with a special screening of the movie, and I had the pleasure to attend. Because the film wasn't in its final format, I'm not going to give it a star rating. Well, that and I feel a little biased because the movie was full of people and places I know, and the story actually follows a topic that's near and dear to my heart: journalism.

Clark's friend Ben Banks inspired the story. So who better to play the character than the person who inspired it in the first place? Since the character was based on a real person, then shouldn't things that actually happened inspire the plot as well? To quote the opening titles: "This movie is based on actual events. Sort of."

The movie opens with shots of St. George at night. It was a joy to see such landmarks as The Sands Motel, the Sugarloaf (aka, "Dixie Rock") and the LDS Temple in the first few moments of the movie. The audience is then taken up to the Sugarloaf overlook where we see Banks' hand reach out of a car window and flick a doobie on the ground.

It's a wacky little trip with Banks as he hangs out with his stoner friends and tries to succeed as a student journalist in order to graduate.

While working in the newsroom late at night, Banks receives a cryptic phone call from a person who tells him to get the story on a local RV shop owner. As it turns out, the shop owner and one of his employees seem to be up to something shady.

But Banks is sometimes distracted by a local coffee shop girl, Amy, played by Mischa Barton. The two eventually end up going on a date, but only after Banks discovers something about Amy that creates some doubt about her character.

The movie switches tone from comedy to drama and back again while Banks discusses life with his buddies, mulls over going back to church on the advice of his mother, and tries to reconcile with his love, Amy.

Add in a few appearances by Katherine Towne and "The Office's" Melora Hardin, and the audience gets a funny and inspiring movie that leaves folks with a sense of accomplishment. This isn't one of those independent films that leave you feeling sad or let down.

"Ben Banks" was submitted to The Sundance Film Festival, but Clark said it was a long and rough cut. So after the submission, the post-production crew decided to take their time and create a very polished product.

"Ben Banks" isn't going to win any awards, especially since it's a first attempt for Clark. It definitely has an independent feel to it, what with low budget and just under a month's worth of actual shooting. Banks (the real one), is an interesting character, but I'm not sure acting is his forte.

Is it an edge-of-your-seat ride that keeps you guessing? Not really. Is it a roll-on-the-floor comedy that relentlessly makes you laugh? Not necessarily. Is it a tearjerker drama that makes you compare it to the end of "Titanic?" I don't think so. But it is a fun story that follows a man who -decides to make a change and ends up falling in love in the process. When it is available in its final form, I will definitely see it again.

Bravo, "Ben Banks!"

'Ben Banks' movie pre-screened, critiqued - A & E - Dixie Sun - Dixie State College of Utah
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Interesting review. Sounds like a fun, if not awe-inspiring, movie.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Elite Fan

It has a Don't Fade Away feel to me. Not as serious, obviously, but that kind of small-town storytelling.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

Interesting. This should be a fun movie.

Don't say Don't Fade Away, Sam. It might not come out for 500 years.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

It's been awhile since we got much news on this one?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Elite Fan

BEN BANKS DISTRIBUTION

We have learned a lot about distribution and the Independent film business. With many changes in how movies are being distributed, we’ve had to play catch up after finishing the movie at the end of July.

Even from the time we finished the shoot, the independent film industry has changed - in some way quite dramatically. Whereas there used to be a model of finishing the movie, getting into a festival, and getting a theatrical release, the reality is that the # of screens open to low budget independents has been shrinking…

BUT alternative models have emerged from online streaming to VOD (Video of Demand), iTunes, Netfilx, RedBox, Hulu, etc. and we have many options and we are trying to figure out what makes the most sense from a financial standpoint.

OUR POST PRODUCTION

When we finished shooting at the end of August last year, we had planned to finish the movie by the end of 2010 - well… lack of funds and also getting tons of feedback, extended that by about 7 months… in the film business, this is totally normal and par for the course, but we, and people who worked on the movie, had expected the movie to be finished sooner. The reality is that we got to use many really talented people who worked for well below their normal pay - this meant that we had to spend more time finding ways to make schedules work. Also, we got some great feedback from a big time editor in January that led us to recut the movie.

We are now done and as we’ve explored the various options we have, some people have understandably wondered what’s going on with the movie - we are exploring our options and we will announce distribution when we figure it out - but no matter what Ben Banks will be available to watch soon!!

-Bryce

BEN BANKS THE MOVIE FILMMAKERS BLOG | BEN BANKS DISTRIBUTION
Old 10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Um, Netflix streaming would be awesome. Ahem.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Elite Fan

I vote for iTunes. Mainly because I can't see myself overcoming the country restrictions on Netflix.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

iTunes would also work, it's just that I can stream Netflix stuff directly to two of my widescreens- the one in my bedroom through my Blu Ray and the one in the living room through my Wii. Better picture that way, lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Elite Fan

*is envious of all Netflix users*
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

The streaming feature is pretty awesome despite their ridiculous management errors over the past couple months, particularly if it's streaming a television show- if it's on there, you have the whole series stored and can just flick from episode to episode, no need to change out discs or anything. It makes it much easier to catch up on a given series.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, thanks for that ringing endorsement of a service I cannot use
Reply   Post New Thread