Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's awesome and sounds like a really hopeful and positive meeting!

Big lights will inspire you
Old 02-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

I always try to stay positive. Believe me, the other teachers in the room were not so happy with the change and increased rigor for next year. While I am here just excited to get the new curriculum already and getting started on learning more about how it all works!!! We have not gotten it yet but should get it before the end of the school year (by May). I will have fun exploring it all this summer. Who needs a true summer break when you have new stuff to discover!?!?! You all probably have never met anyone like me.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^None of that is surprising to me about you, and that's a wonderful thing. It's great to want to continue to learn and grow.

Luckily you guys are receiving the info prior to summer; so, you'll have plenty of time to implement the new curriculum into your plans.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Good to hear that you're excited about it Cece. Although I can appreciate that some of your co-workers might have plans for their summer break other than learning a new curriculum.

Lizzy - some holidays are set by the individual provinces. Schools, banks, post offices were closed yesterday, but many businesses remained open.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:00 AM
Elite Fan

Morning all.

Sorry I've been becoming a little less active on weekends. I'm moving so these next few months are going to be me moving furniture out of my house and all that jazz.

Icon | Hannah
Visit A&M
Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^Are you excited for the move?

Chris, thanks for explaining it.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Elite Fan

Yes and no. I'm not sure if I'll like the change.

Icon | Hannah
Visit A&M
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just have to laugh, cause I'm reading how positive and excited with a good attitude Cece has about changes to her work! I NEED some of you, Cece!!! I just have to laugh here. The details are in spoilers. In a nutshell, I basically inner freaked out immediately walking into my workspace this morning. Whats new at this location, eh??

Spoiler:

Its almost laughable that each time I come in, there is something changed that feels like it makes things worst for me. Yes in the end, it will be a good change, but my job is day to day, I need things to work well day to day.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're sweet, Lizzy.

With some changes, it is just inevitable and will happen whether we like it or not. Also with most changes, there are both positive things about it and less desirable things about the change. So for me, I try to make the positive outweigh the negative. In some cases, that takes more work to find optimism when the change leans towards the unwanted change. A change in curriculum is a huge change, for sure. I haven't told you all about the other big change to my program, where they are restructuring the classes to now place similar students together. That means all my students this year will be in different places next year (depending on what class I will get, which we don't even know at this moment). Right now, my class has a lot of mixed cognitive levels and communication abilities (from nonverbal to clearly speaking). And a lot of behaviors, from less severe to more severe behaviors. So I'll be lucky to get a few of my students again next year, while most will be at a different campus. There's also a small possibility I might have to move campuses with my paraprofessional (aide). I'm not going to let all that stress me though. Because I have more important things to think about right now and they are my students this year and finishing this school year strong! Speaking of stress, everyone says I deal with stress so well. My aide has told me how the previous teacher before me gets before each ARD meeting and in certain busier months and she's surprised how calm and collected I am on a daily basis. Because she told me when stress is contagious, so it always made her nervous to see her freaking out. And it's true!

I didn't get home until 8 PM tonight. I had to go to a training after work.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess one of my only senses of security and reliability is knowing what to expect and having things in order, when everything is out of order and changes were made without being asked about my opinions throws me off the mark. I left work feeling shaky after my day of not knowing where things were to answer patrons questions of where books were, cause they were all placed on shelves with no order to them as far as I could tell.

What a day for me, time for anti-anxiety med googling!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, definitely. Change is outside of our comfort zone. I wouldn't like my things reorganized and and moved either, which sounds like it is happening in your case. Our school librarian is the only librarian and is on our campus full-time. I wouldn't like my classroom changed entirely and not be able to find anything. How would they expect you to effectively do your job if you spend most of the time trying to find what you need to do it successfully?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing the sun (View Post)
stress is contagious, so it always made her nervous to see her freaking out. And it's true!
Very true, and so are negaivity or positivity for that matter. It's not always easier, but if you can focus on the positive, it surely helps.

Leanne - to me, a library is supposed to be organized, otherwise how will people be able to find what they want? Perhaps you could leave a friendly note asking about the changes?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Everything you guys are saying is absolutely true.

In terms of positivity, stress, negativity being contagious, I think that's why it's very important who you surround yourself with. Obviously it's easier said than done especially in the work place.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I used to work with a gal who was always extremely negative, but I got along with her. Once she left, I realized how much her negativity brought me down.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

I easily get along with people, as I generally can understand (or sympathize with) both sides so never get into arguments or disagreements.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread