Degrassi

Winston Chu/Andre Kim Appreciation: The (not so) Invisible Man

Winston Chu/Andre Kim Appreciation

Winston Chu on Twitter: @Winstawesome
Andre Kim on Twitter: @Andre_kim7

Image Credit: 1. 2.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

I hope he has a decent role. Asians on Degrassi this generation have always been neglected or forgotten (like Leia and Kendra).
shance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Passionate Fan

^ And Zane, who was basically just Riley's boyfriend.

I hope Winston gets some good storylines. I have a feeling that I'm gonna like him - he's already winning me over with that bow tie.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

The Bhandaris are Asian, although we might not immediately think of them as being so. Manny was as well, so they have had a few Asian characters that they've done good jobs with. But, yeah, they could do more. Without seeing the characters, I can't help but think that I might have liked seeing the two new male cast members switch roles.

I'm sure that will change once I see them, though.

As for Winston, his promo and write up is reminding me of Dave when he first came on the show. Of the three new characters, I'm most interested in him at this point (slightly more than Zoe).

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like him already.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
As for Winston, his promo and write up is reminding me of Dave when he first came on the show. Of the three new characters, I'm most interested in him at this point (slightly more than Zoe).
I can't help but see Yick Yu, especially with the whole locker thing...reminds me of when Yick got locked in the closet with Aurthur on the first day of school. He's the "sidekick" to Miles though right? That's way different.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Master Fan

I hope gets to be friends with Zig or Imogen that would be funny !
Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Winston's season 13 bio:
Grade 10 at Degrassi

Relationship Status: Single

Interests: 90s trivia, 30mm photography, comics, movies so bad they're good, the ladies

Activities: AV Club

About me: Trivia guru, sub-pop-culture genius, master of parties, good to the ladies. You may have not noticed me at Degrassi last year - I was the hot, quiet guy sitting in the corner. The strong silent type you were probably too intimidated to approach? Y'know, the buff muscle master who sat out of gym for legitimate medical reasons. Anyway my man, Miles, and I are gonna rule "da" school this year--so don't hate, date (me, that is).
Old 07-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Passionate Fan

wow.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

My prediction is that Winston is going to show more attitude this year because he is mimicking whatever Miles does. Maybe right down to the interest in the ladies? IDK. Either way I'm thinking that there will be some self discovery time devoted to him where he accepts who he really is. And I hope he does because I really like his interests!

I also wonder if Miles is going to take advantage of Winston in some way. Getting flashbacks to when Toby helped Jimmy hack the school's computer system to change his grades. I wonder how genuine the friendship with Miles will be.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Master Fan

Of the three new kids, he is the only one I am even slightly interested in. I can't wait to hear the story behind how he and Miles became friends.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'm curious too about how they become friends. I'm still very suspicious of Miles though. I can't help but think it is because he wants something from him - like doing his homework, since it seems like Winston might be the new nerd of the cast. But maybe Miles doesn't care about social status. Maybe Miles doesn't care about anything at all.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Master Fan

So they've been close since they were little kids. That explains that. Also seems like Winston's family comes from money too.

We didn't get much of him in Summertime but what we got was appealing enough.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I was pleasantly surprised that they had been friends for a while. Even with all the write-ups I was worried that this might turn out to be a case of Winston thinking they're friends but Miles barely knowing who he is. So, I was glad to see that wasn't the case.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Master Fan

^ Yeah from their bff promo it seemed that way too. But if the premiere made it clear that wasn't the case. If anything I wonder if Winston is the overly happy-go-lucky type for Miles's sake. It seemed to me he was trying to get Miles to cheer up. But his line to Maya about "fishing him out" also suggests he's Miles's clean up crew, getting him out of messes probably because he knows what will happen if he doesn't. That part of their dynamic interests me a lot especially because it puts their relationship on unequal footing. Even when they got on the bus Miles made it clear that Winston would not be there if Miles wasn't going.

In the promos and descriptions he's been described as the wingman. At first I was thinking this means he might want to get away from that title by being more independent from Miles aka being the man and not the invisible man. But after seeing the episode I think he probably just knows he's going to be a lot more in his peers'/teachers'/principle's eye now that Miles is around.
Reply   Post New Thread