Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

I know I shouldn't be surprised by Reiya's appearance since many of the actors either dress or style themselves differently than on the show, but I really am. She looks great. I barely recognized her.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I just need to keep looking forward.

I really like her for her drive and her seriousness but I do think she needs to let loose. I can't help but think that she will have an Ashley in 'I Want Candy' moment. Maybe it will happen with Winston - I could see her being the Spinner to Shay's Ashley. All through NC season 1 I was waiting for that moment where we see Winston noticing how cool Shay is.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah, Lola was gloating and it wasn´t fair to make Shay feel bad about her butt. Really not very perceptive. But seen with the knowledge that she has a crush on Tiny she was just happy that she seems to fit his preferences and didn´t realize that she was putting Shay down with it.
But Shay doesn´t sit right with me either. I just don´t like that she made a choice (which wasn´t affected by Lola at all) and then she is so down about it that Lola in the end (#10) feels like she has to apologize.

Tiny and Lola really don´t seem very deep but we´ve barely seen anything of them and I think they could be a really fun couple. But I also could see them deciding that they have more fun being just friends.

Yeah and Shay clearly should have a little more fun in her life.
Okun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

See, I have a problem with the "Lola has liked Tiny forever" story line because it came out of nowhere. I think it's in character for Lola to exaggerate, but they were both regulars for an entire season and yet we never saw even the slightest hint she knew he existed. In fact, we saw Lola somewhat expressing interest in other guys (Zig, Miles, Hunter), even if it was nothing serious. So I do find it weird.

I haven't watched #SorryNotSorry since January, but didn't Frankie reveal Shay still liked Tiny? I don't recall Shay doing anything to sabotage Lola/Tiny. All she did was avoid spending time with them alone, which I thought was understandable considering.

And that's a reason why I prefer Tiny/Shay. I like that while they have something in common, they're also fairly different and that kind of dynamic seems like it would be better in the long run. But just in general, any time I'm introduced to one ship as the "interloper couple" as opposed to having their own story line, I'm not going to enjoy it. First with Kenna at the expense of Klare, then Zori instead of Zaya and now this.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I haven't watched yet, but I'm guessing this has a few fun moments. Hopefully.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
JustMe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

They only started to spread hints about Lola being into Tiny in NC that´s true. But at least they did that.

Okay, now I went and rewatched that again and yes it´s Frankie who reveals that Shay´s still into Tiny. But then Shays says: "I liked him for forever, and he liked me back until you wiggled your big butt at him." Which is just not true. And later during the lockdown Lola feels like she has to apologize. Sorry, but I don´t like Shay´s behaviour in the triangle any better than I like Lola´s. I might have had some sympathy for her at the end of #4 when she realized that she can´t take back her decision about Tiny but afterwards it was gone very fast.
Lola at least didn´t blame her decision to keep quiet about her crush on Tiny at the beginning on other people.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh, I'm glad there was at least some foreshadowing. But I do feel a bit insulted that I'm meant to believe Lola had this big crush on Tiny all along. I guess it's a little hypocritical of me to not accept this but have little trouble believing Grace had a serious illness this entire time. In my opinion, though, it was more in character for Grace to hide her illness from her friends than it was that Lola hid her crush on Tiny. For one thing, there would be no reason to do that. For another, Lola has never been the type to hide her attraction to guys. So it's weird, IMO.

That's your opinion, then. The way the season was set up, I came out of it sympathizing more with Shay and I can't imagine that changing. See, this is why triangles on Degrasi suck. They bring out the worst in people and when things get even worse, you start to wonder why each girl (or guy) likes the person in the middle to this extent and why they're worth it. Shay and Lola are both fairly new characters. Neither of them was given much to do before season 15 and now look. They're in a triangle.

I should probably stop because I feel like this is turning into an argument and I'm not trying to argue.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don´t see an argument - only a discussion and that lives from different opinions. I already said in my first post here that I seem to be on a total different page than the rest of you and I was curious, why.

For me it seems that people sympathize with Shay because she is sad and crying and Lola doesn´t realize it. But to me Shay was whiny (in an annoying way - e.g. I saw Frankie´s sadness as something completely different) and blaming other people for her decision. Different perspective.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Obsessed Fan

Oh, I didn't see it as a fight or anything. But at the same time, it doesn't seem like we agree on anything when it comes to this topic and I didn't want to bug the mods or anything.

I think it helps that the writers have set up Shay as an underdog. She's insecure about her body. She is inexperienced when it comes to guys. We were introduced to Shay/Tiny before we were introduced to Tiny/Lola. So in my opinion, it's understandable why most people are sympathizing with Shay. Maybe if we'd seen things from Lola's perspective from the beginning and she hadn't behaved the way she did in the first episode, I'd have an easier time understanding her POV. But I don't and to me, their relationship is shallow and some of the stuff she says rubs me the wrong way.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Triangles can bring out the worst in people but I guess that´s what makes them interesting even if in the end it doesn´t even seem to be about the person in the middle anymore. Lola, Shay (and Frankie) seemed to have a communication problem in their friendship before Tiny showed interest in any of them. So the initial problem IMO is not their mutual crush on Tiny but communication with each other.

Beside the goodnight scene in #5 we don´t get anything of the Tola relationship from either Tiny´s or Lola´s POV. That´s why it seems shallow to me, too. I would like to see more of them to see if they´re really that shallow or not.

But between Lola and Shay, in the triangle it´s clearly Shay who rubs me the wrong way even if I don´t like everything that Lola does.

Last edited by Okun; 03-25-2016 at 09:54 AM
Old 03-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Obsessed Fan

My thing is that I've seen so many love triangles on several different tv shows and they ALWAYS bring out the worst in people, so to me, it's boring and beyond played out. I'd rather see a triangle where all three characters behave maturely. I realize they're teenagers, but that still doesn't mean I want to see any pettiness or worse, fighting, over some third party. I see what you mean about the communication in the friendship and I wish that was the story line instead of bringing Tiny into it.

There's nothing I can say to that. I disagree, even if I acknowledge Shay isn't perfect. The whole mess has made me dislike the Shay/Lola friendship and only enjoy Frankie/Shay and Frankie/Lola and I wish that wasn't the case.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Dedicated Fan

I guess we´re just not watching the same shows cause I´m at least not as tired of triangles as you are but in this case I also would prefer if it turns out that Tiny was just a tool to dig into their miscommunication and him loosing interest in both of them. But my first guess is that Shiny is somewhere out there and will come.
Spoiler:

And between Tiny and Lola - we just agree to disagree. We don´t have to like/dislike the same traits in tv characters.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

Maybe we aren't. I've watched several teen dramas and I suppose it's my own fault because love triangles are basically synonymous with teen dramas. Still, even if I hadn't watched many other shows featuring triangles, I still would have watched every season of Degrassi and tired of the 2-5 triangles per season stuff. I think triangles are a bit more bearable when the outcome is either hard to determine (Craig/Ashley/Manny, for example) and don't involve tearing apart best friends. Sadly, this Tiny/Shay/Lola thing seems to be neither of those things.

Spoiler:
Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

The great thing about this triangle is that Shay and Lola both behaved badly at some point. It was easy for me to jump back and forth with taking sides. I can imagine myself as either one of them...probably have been both at some point. I think at this point I'm more interested in what happens between Shay and Lola than what happens while either is dating Tiny. I just think the dynamic between their two personalities is interesting.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'd agree with that. Hopefully there's more scenes between just the two of them because sometimes I wonder why exactly they're friends when they seem very different and to lack much communication.