Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't think so. The closest we've gotten is Katie's pain killer addiction. It would be slightly repetitive since they're both athletic achievers, but I'm just happy she's getting a story line.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

That's probably what I'm thinking of and she is similar to Katie in some ways but hey they have repeated the rape story lines and given them to the same type of characters so I wouldn't put it past degrassi to give Shay and Katie similar plots like pill addiction. I feel like Shay can be everything Katie should have been.Katie didn't get good character development and they made a lot of bad choices with her. But the idea of Katie is something I like and I think Shay can be that because we don't actually see to many Katie/Shay overachievers, I think Ashley was one in s1( and they gave her a pill moment too) but yeah that's really it. I think that's why I like her already, we are lacking that type of character.
87daysofTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh, I seriously I hope they do something much different with Shay than they did Katie. I had serious issues with her from 11.5 on, but that's for another thread. :p I do hope having a juicy story line will be good for Reiya. Sometimes being thrust into the spotlight causes an actor to rise to the occasion, but that's not always the case. Sometimes they need a bit more practice first. But I'm sure she'll do just fine.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Addicted Fan

I don't remember what drug they had Alli take when she was trying to graduate early but I know they did Ritalin with Jimmy way back in season 1. I'm looking forward to any Shay storyline as well as seeing her bond more with Frankie and Lola.
ihavealife2uknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm especially interested in Frankie and Lola. They just seem to be slightly closer. Or at least that's the impression I've gotten so far.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think that's just because they have been given more screen time. Shay was actually the one who more so had Frankie's back with the degrassi nudes thing. She defended her against Zoe and was really a good friend to her after Winston/Lola thing happened. I kinda feel like she is closer to Shay, but Lola is just getting more screen time because Winston kissed her and so she tied into that.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

It seems overachievers like Ashley, Katie, or Alli end up buckling under the pressure. Maybe it isn't the Degrassi formula to go that route but it made me uneasy the other day. Every student is going to have some problem and maybe being smart in a thorn in their side but I hope we see more characters who are good at school and that's "cool." They have their thing, they enjoy it and are cool with it. I think we had that with Clare. And she was a popular character so maybe Degrassi can get over their nerd phobia.

But like you guys I have no idea what this "cool" thing means. We have seen that Shay is confident when approaching guys so maybe it just builds up off of that.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Dedicated Fan

I don't agree that Katie, Ashely or even Allie were a case of nerd phobia I think Wesley, Toby and Connor are all prime examples of nerd phobia. And Hunter could easily fall into that and I think that's why they are making him more"evil" as Stefan put it but for lack of a better word really. I think Katie and Ashley really evolved in finding themselves. I think they defined themselves by what they were suppose to do and it was causing them to be unhappy and make mistakes. With Shay i could see it being more like Allie in the sense where she's smart and she's not ashamed of that. I think Shay could get story lines similar to Allie also but I hope like Allie who technically was a nerd to she could be given more fun rebellious story lines and still be the smart girl who wants to do well in school.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

You both make really good points. It is kind of predictable to give Shay that type of story line, but again, I'm just happy she's getting a story line, period. It's kind of fun not knowing what to expect. The writers could go anywhere with Shay and I'm not sure I could truly call it out of character.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

True we really don't know shay at all so they can do anything they want with her really.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

One aspect I'd like the writers to keep is Shay's confidence. When I think about Shay, that's the thing that sticks out.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Prediction: She's going to run for student council. Winston is going to run against her. There might a romance, maybe not, but they are going to end up close. I think that's why Andre has insight into Shay, he's been working with Reiya. I'll place a higher bet than Elle gambled in Queen of Hearts that those two get together.

We are going to need someone on student council and I can't see many of the upperclassmen being into it. Does that even happen? It can happen on Degrassi right? Haha.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Obsessed Fan

That's an interesting thought. I could somewhat see Shay in that position. Definitely more than Frankie and certainly more than Hunter or Lola. But I've heard speculation that TRISTAN will be the one running. Maybe it will be a three-way competition? I'm kind of predetermined to be anti Winston/Shay for reasons..
Old 10-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

I honestly could see that with Shay and Winston but I don't know about the romance aspect because Shay doesn't seem to care for him at all. but I could see why the writers would do it, it would create a lot of drama right from the start. Tristan would be good. A story line without a love interest, I am here for it!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

Sadly, a Shay/Winston pairing would be right up this show's alley. It's so typical for the female character who loudly proclaimed that the male character was "trouble" and "not to be trusted" to end up having a romantic relationship with the same guy. Besides, we were supposed to forgive Winston for the cheating on Frankie and feel sorry for him when Frankie did "way worse". But god, I just don't want it. :p