Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Elite Fan

We might get more backstory about the dark one's origins, explaining how Merlin fought the darkness and contained it. The first one was probably imprisoned in that vault where Neal resurrected Rumple.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by koodles (View Post)
So the Lancelot we met in S2 might have only been named after the original Lancelot. The events from Camelot with Arthur, Lancelot, Gweniviere might be involved in the events from very long ago that created the dark curse. We might only see these characters and Camelot in flashbacks and Merlin might be the only character who actually appears in present day.

I agree. I don't mind guest characters like Malificent who actually add a lot to the stories of the mains. But I detest guest characters like the Frozen crew who took center stage and pushed our mains to the background.

Hoping A&E don't do that to us again with guest characters from Camelot.
Wouldn't it be a wasted opportunity though? Many fans have wanted Camelot weaved into OUAT. A&E have been dropping hints for a few seasons so to have the group search for Merlin and not include any other key characters from Camelot, would seem wasteful. The new characters would only add story and forge new bonds primarily for the main characters. On the surface it seems to have a lot in common with current characters - another Royal kingdom, hints of known friendship with Snow and possibly Regina as EQ and perhaps it is the kingdom which sent the Jones brothers on their ill-fated mission. So it has the potential to tie a lot of the current cast to Camelot seamlessly with a lot of story to tell. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I certainly need to brush up on my Camelot lore during the hiatus, as the story might make reference to events or known relations that are unknown to me at the moment. Anyone have a favorite book or story version to recommend?

Last edited by CityGal; 05-24-2015 at 08:13 PM
Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know Mist of Avalon and a Wicked Day by mary Stewart
Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Wouldn't it be a wasted opportunity though? Many fans have wanted Camelot weaved into OUAT. A&E have been dropping hints for a few seasons so to have the group search for Merlin and not include any other key characters from Camelot, would seem wasteful. The new characters would only add story and forge new bonds primarily for the main characters. On the surface it seems to have a lot in common with current characters - another Royal kingdom, hints of known friendship with Snow and possibly Regina as EQ and perhaps it is the kingdom which sent the Jones brothers on their ill-fated mission. So it has the potential to tie a lot of the current cast to Camelot seamlessly with a lot of story to tell. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I certainly need to brush up on my Camelot lore during the hiatus, as the story might make reference to events or known relations that are unknown to me at the moment. Anyone have a favorite book or story version to recommend?
I would consider it a greater wasted opportunity if we ended up with another arc where the main characters were pushed into the background of the guest characters like they did with Frozen.

Like I said earlier it would be cool to meet these characters but maybe only in Merlin's flashbacks for a few episodes.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe A&E will have all or most of the flashbacks take place in Camelot next arc to tell the story of very long ago when the DO was created. It might be cool to see it as a gradual story and have the Camelot characters parallel the main characters in present day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I know Mist of Avalon and a Wicked Day by mary Stewart
I LOVE Mists of Avalon!

It's one of my all time favorite books.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I would consider it a greater wasted opportunity if we ended up with another arc where the main characters were pushed into the background of the guest characters like they did with Frozen.
I think Frozen may be an exception to the rule as it was such a hit that the writers begged A&E to ask for permission so they could be apart of the story. They indulged very expensive fanfic for the writers.

Quote:
Like I said earlier it would be cool to meet these characters but maybe only in Merlin's flashbacks for a few episodes.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe A&E will have all or most of the flashbacks take place in Camelot next arc to tell the story of very long ago when the DO was created. It might be cool to see it as a gradual story and have the Camelot characters parallel the main characters in present day.
Which is what they did in the Frozen story in 4A, Anna's flashback was a continuing tale which eventually met up with the current SB timeline. I wonder if the Merlin/Camelot quest will only last for the 5A arc. It's quite possible there is enough going on to last an entire season with the cast finding Merlin on the "B" side, if they want the DO curse to last the whole season.

This could be the season where much of the DO's origins will finally get revealed. And it would be a neat twist if it originated in Camelot - never would have seen that one coming for sure.

Ackkk...there is so much unknown. If only A&E did at least one interview to answer basic questions, it would help a lot.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Which is what they did in the Frozen story in 4A, Anna's flashback was a continuing tale which eventually met up with the current SB timeline. I wonder if the Merlin/Camelot quest will only last for the 5A arc. It's quite possible there is enough going on to last an entire season with the cast finding Merlin on the "B" side, if they want the DO curse to last the whole season.

This could be the season where much of the DO's origins will finally get revealed. And it would be a neat twist if it originated in Camelot - never would have seen that one coming for sure.

Ackkk...there is so much unknown. If only A&E did at least one interview to answer basic questions, it would help a lot.
Yeah but Elsa and Ingrid were also very present in Storybrooke. Elsa was practically the main character of 4A so all of that coupled with the Anna flashbacks just resulted in too much Frozen overall.

It might be cool if the events in present day were completely about the main characters and then the flashbacks take place in Camelot to tell the story of the DO.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah but Elsa and Ingrid were also very present in Storybrooke. Elsa was practically the main character of 4A so all of that coupled with the Anna flashbacks just resulted in too much Frozen overall.

It might be cool if the events in present day were completely about the main characters and then the flashbacks take place in Camelot to tell the story of the DO.
It would, but then it would have no connection to finding a solution in the present timeline? If it's in FB form then everyone would already have possessed the knowledge. This would create a situation where the solution to the DO's origin is in Storybrooke this whole time.

I would like to see Snow, Charming acting as a royal couple in relation to the Camelot court, and if Alan Dale could return to create some friction or resolution with Charming - all the better. I enjoy the sword fighting battles between parties, and if the Charmings along with Hook have to do battle against a Camelot court, eventually, to find Merlin than it should make it interesting. A fight to save Emma is what I want to see most.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
It would, but then it would have no connection to finding a solution in the present timeline? If it's in FB form then everyone would already have possessed the knowledge. This would create a situation where the solution to the DO's origin is in Storybrooke this whole time.
Maybe that's exactly it! Maybe it will turn out that the main characters already have the power to defeat the darkness once and for all. After all they've been through they are a pretty incredible team with A LOT of magic and magical knowledge.

The characters having the power to save the day all along is actually something pretty typical for this show if you think about how most of the seasons/arcs have ended.

The Apprentice said only Merlin could destroy the darkness, but I'm not so sure. Merlin already faced the darkness and the best he could do was tether it to an individual and have that darkness pass on from person to person for centuries causing horrifying destruction. If Merlin could have really destroyed the darkness I think he would have.

I think all the mains, especially Emma, are going to have a hand in destroying the darkness if that's how 5A ends.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Maybe that's exactly it! Maybe it will turn out that the main characters already have the power to defeat the darkness once and for all. After all they've been through they are a pretty incredible team with A LOT of magic and magical knowledge.

The characters having the power to save the day all along is actually something pretty typical for this show if you think about how most of the seasons/arcs have ended.

The Apprentice said only Merlin could destroy the darkness, but I'm not so sure. Merlin already faced the darkness and the best he could do was tether it to an individual and have that darkness pass on from person to person for centuries causing horrifying destruction. If Merlin could have really destroyed the darkness I think he would have.

I think all the mains, especially Emma, are going to have a hand in destroying the darkness if that's how 5A ends.
Agree that the story screams team solution from the mains and can't imagine it any less. The 100th episode of OUAT will either be 5.11 (winter finale) or 5.12 (spring premiere) so destroying the Dark One forever would be quite an epic feature for show's 100th episode.

For the show to place it's lead protagonist as the new Dark One and end after only 11 episodes seems too short. I could see it last for the entirety of season 5 at least as well as Rumpel's status - whatever that will be.

The story has amazing potential for so many of the characters, and hopefully the writers don't muck it up.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 AM
Master Fan

I agree, Emma's DO situation can easily last an entire season, hence finding Merlin only in 4B. I feel different for Rumple's situation. I see his "first state" to last one half and the other dealing with true Rumple having to face life without the DO.
Although that would imply a good mid-season finale for Rumbelle, which is apperanty not a favourite of the writers

RoseBennett
Old 05-25-2015, 05:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Personally I think it will last all of 5a don't know about 5b.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Czn't to find out.

Finally, new thread time
Old 05-25-2015, 05:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Lets use isaacs 40 year life expectancy title
Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, brb
Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero