Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Elite Fan

I have to confess that I used to love Robin but after he confessed his love for Regina right there in front of his wife who lay there dying, I just cannot stand him. Is that the writers idea of romantic? Cause it was cold hearted (pun completely intended) and way worse than anything David did in season one while cursed. And Robin doesn't even have the excuse of a curse. If he absolutely had to say it at least don't do it right there where your wife lay dying. And brfore that Robin was one of my favorite characters.

ETA I actually think Emma will have a much harder time forgiving Regina than Hook. It is a direct parallel to Mary Margaret forgiving Regina easily for setting her up but not David for doubting her and lying to her. In both cases they would not feel betrayed by Regina so they could forgive her more easily.

Last edited by Austenphile; 10-27-2014 at 10:07 AM
Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Emma doesn't need Regina to be her friend.
But she wants to. She wants to be friends with Regina. I understand some of you don't want a friendship with them or don't understand Emma's reasons, but on the show she wants this friendship. So she fights for it. Because that's who Emma is. If something is important to her she fights for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austenphil
I have to confess that I used to love Robin but after he confessed his love for Regina right there in front of his wife who lay there dying, I just cannot stand him. Is that the writers idea of romantic? Cause it was cold hearted (pun completely intended) and way worse than anything David did in season one while cursed.
I couldn't disagree more. Especially what you said about it being worse than what David it. No. Sorry. But I could never agree with this.

I like Robin and Charming. They're my favs among the men. But cursed David had a real affair with Snow behind Kathryn's back, went on secret dates with her and then went home to Kathryn. He strung them along. Both. Not only for a few days or a week.

He has the curse as an excuse. I don't want to bash him. But I could never agree that Robin explaining Regina why he's afraid they cannot make TLK work to unfreeze Marian was worse than everything the cursed David did for months.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes. I have to say, if they even dare to show that Emma can't forgive Hook after she is begging Regina to be her friend then I don't know what to think.[/QUOTE]

Lily reminded me a bit of Hook for some reason. Yeah that would make me mad if that happend
Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Elite Fan

I agree that what cursed David did was bad but I think confessing your love for another woman while your wife lay dying is just as bad if not worse. I think it is worse but others can disagree.

Last edited by Austenphile; 10-27-2014 at 10:20 AM
Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Yeah, that scene was a bit odd... I would have preferred him to pull Regina off to the side and tell her that. I mean, he was basically trying to tell her why TLK didn't work but my god, what if she can still hear everything?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinutesToMidnight (View Post)
But she wants to. She wants to be friends with Regina. I understand some of you don't want a friendship with them or don't understand Emma's reasons, but on the show she wants this friendship. So she fights for it. Because that's who Emma is. If something is important to her she fights for it.
She does seem to want this friendship. Which is part of what I find problematic. I'm not sure why she wants to be friends with someone who constantly belittles her and puts her down. It says a lot, I think, about her past and her damaged history and I hope she can get some help for those issues. Maybe Archie is available? I still can't believe he doesn't have the biggest house in Storybrooke. With all the issues in that town, he must be making a killing.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll (View Post)
She does seem to want this friendship. Which is part of what I find problematic. I'm not sure why she wants to be friends with someone who constantly belittles her and puts her down. It says a lot, I think, about her past and her damaged history and I hope she can get some help for those issues. Maybe Archie is available? I still can't believe he doesn't have the biggest house in Storybrooke. With all the issues in that town, he must be making a killing.
He should but they have to recognize they need help first.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 10-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Absolute Fan

I think the optics of that Robin/Regina scene created the problem for me. Like T'Lynn said, if Robin had just pulled Regina off to a different room, it wouldn't have seemed quite as harsh. Seeing his wife lying there was... different.

"I don't need a congressional honor. I don't need Agent Thompson's approval or the President's. I know my value, anyone else's opinion doesn't really matter." - Agent Peggy Carter
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austenphile (View Post)
I agree that what cursed David did was bad but I think confessing your love for another woman [/b] while your wife lay dying [/b] is just as bad if not worse. I think it is worse but others can disagree.
I actually might be the only one, but i don't think in that situation what cursed David did was that bad at all The actions maybe...but in the end he and Snow were the truly married ones. I would have thought he did bad, if had marry Abigai lin the enchanted forest and then run away with Snow of something. He was married with Snow for real, and Abigail loved Frederik. So i've always thought the farest he was from Abigail and with Snow the better for all 4. I've always seen David actions, as a sort of inner unconscient fighting against the curse! He being near Abigail, because of faked memories from a curse, made me a lot more uncofortable I like OQ and root for them, but i've found it odd that happened, he could have told Regina in another place as well. The only i way i could explain was if, it was on purpose by the writers and Marian heard it somehow as T'Lynn said, and it will be used again when she wakes up

Last edited by Out of the Woods; 10-27-2014 at 10:36 AM
Old 10-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I agree that what cursed David did was bad but I think confessing your love for another woman while your wife lay dying is just as bad if not worse. I think it is worse but others can disagree.
I feel this way too I didn't like David's actions back then, but he was "cursed" (because of Regina btw...) and lost, he was confused about his feelings (and Robin isn't one bit right now which is also really confusing).

What Robin did was definitely cold or just silly maybe... Still, I mostly blame the writing for that. And if we are to believe that Marian is in some kind of coma then yes, I think she could have heard everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll (View Post)
I completely agree with this, it was absolutely heartbreaking to watch.
Thanks to Jade for the icon!!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of the Woods (View Post)
I actually might be the only one, but i don't think in that situation what cursed David did was that bad at all The actions maybe...but in the end he and Snow were the truly married ones. I would have thought he did bad, if had marry Abigai lin the enchanted forest and then run away with Snow of something. He was married with Snow for real, and Abigail loved Frederik. So i've always thought the farest he was from Abigail and with Snow the better for all 4. He being near Abigail, because of faked memories from a curse, made me a lot more uncofortable I like OQ and root for them, but i've found it odd that happened, he could have told Regina in another place as well. The only i way i could explain was if, it was on purpose by the writers and Marian heard it somehow and will be used again when she wakes up
Oh I agree with you about David. It was not as honorable as Charming and came across as bad but I have always thought it was their real personalities and the curse in conflict that caused all the back and forth. And like Robin he had no desire to hurt anyone which usually leads to everyone getting hurt. And although David is my favorite I like to admit when he makes wrong choices even if it was because of the curse (and I think he likes to take responsibility for them too which is what males him my favorite)

And if Robin had pulled Regina into another room I would have no problem with what he said. But at least he waited until the others left.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinutesToMidnight (View Post)
This is the crux of the problem. There is no rhyme or reason to why Emma would want this particular friendship.

Since the pilot, Regina has and continues to show contempt and barely checked disdain towards Emma. Regina belittles, bulllies and is frankly awful to Emma from the start and continues to do so. It has been Emma who has shown any semblance of charity or kindness towards Regina. As I said earlier, it makes sense for Snow White/Mary Margaret to want a familial relationship with Regina, but not Emma.

ETA (2nd bolded): Emma "fighting" for it suggest there was something there to fight for. There wasn't an initial friendship that went sour (a lá Lily), but one that was vicious enemies from the start. So there is nothing to fight for. Regina and Emma were never friends to begin with. That "fighting for a relationship" belongs with Snow and Regina.

***sorry to the other posters for going on about this point.

Last edited by CityGal; 10-27-2014 at 10:47 AM
Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

A few thoughts from me on this episode:

Emma has grown into the sort of person who fights for those she cares about, and for those she feels she can help with her love and/or friendship.

So - in the context of the series' plot arc, her extension of friendship to Regina (despite their history together, and Regina's unpleasant attitude toward her this time around), perfectly depicted Emma's sensitivity and compassion, as she knew that Regina needed someone to vent with (or at) because of emotional upset. Which is why she stayed calm when interacting with Regina - she was leading by example. Returning friendship to Regina's anger and sarcasm, as Emma believes her friendship will help Regina to heal and become a better person. This is very noble on Emma's part - but also completely sincere. That final scene between the two women, as Regina finally realizes that Emma is sincerely offering her friendship (and she then accepts it) was very moving. Wonderful acting from both Jen and Lana in this episode.

That said, Regina still needs to do some emotional growing up - but she's certainly far better than she's ever been in the past (except for that lapse with imprisoning Sidney in the mirror). She's starting to learn to actually curb and deal with her rage, rather than violently lashing out. Granted, she has a razor sharp tongue and still blame shifts, but these are human imperfections, and a decided improvement over the way she used to deal with her problems and insecurities.

Of course, I loved the tender Killian and Emma scenes in this episode - they were very well acted, and beautifully depicted the love, trust, and compassion these two characters have for each other. It was wonderful to see Emma able to be vulnerable with Killian, and to see him comfort her, and how she felt safe with him. These scenes were very real, and were a lovely depiction of true love, which is not just the grand gestures, but also the meaningful little things that make a relationship warm and loving.

And - regarding these recent plot developments: I would hope that after that childhood Emma flash back, and her understanding of, and reaching out in compassion and friendship to Regina - that the writers will have her be just as understanding, loving, and tender towards Killian, when he (as is inevitable) finally confesses what has occurred between him and Rumple. Any other reaction from Emma at this point to Killian, would not only be a regression on her part (and poor writing), but would also be completely out of character for the woman she has become - at least in my opinion.

I also loved the delightful scenes between David and Snow - nice to see these two being cute and romantic together. I hope we are given more such scenes in future.

As for Lily - I suspect we have not seen the last of this character. Somehow she will re-appear, and I also believe she will have a connection with the Snow Queen, or one of the other magical characters. That star tattoo on her arm was a major foreshadowing. And she claimed to be an orphan who was adopted. Where did she originally come from? Our world - or that of the Enchanted Forest? Or does she have some magical abilities that were being encouraged by the Snow Queen?

And - although I may be remembering this incorrectly - doesn't the Snow Queen also have a star tattoo on her arm? I sort of recall seeing a quick flash of this in one of her scenes. Anyone else recall seeing that?
Penny Dreadful "Demimonde of Shadows":http://archiveofourown.org/series/498457
Once Upon a Time Killian / Emma series: https://archiveofourown.org/series/69753

Last edited by earthspirits; 10-27-2014 at 11:03 AM
Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Oh I agree with you about David. It was not as honorable as Charming and came across as bad but I have always thought it was their real personalities and the curse in conflict that caused all the back and forth. And like Robin he had no desire to hurt anyone which usually leads to everyone getting hurt. And although he was my favorite I like to admit when he makes wrong choices even if it was because of the curse

And if Robin had pulled Regina into another room I would have no problem with what he said. But at least he waited until the others left.
Always though of David actions, like an inner Charming conscience fighting against the curse. I remember in season 1 i could never blame him once, but really the curse . Just really wanted the curse to get over, because Kathlyn and David made me so unconfortable, when he was truly married with Snow. So for me it will always be hard to say David actions were bad, because i always see them as sorta of an unconscious way to fight to be back for Snow

I absolutly agree on Robin too!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread