Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I think that most people connect with Summer more. It's like, she's the girl no one wants to admit that they want to be. She's popular, funny, bitchy, smart, and she has Adam/Seth chasing her (which is like every girl's dream [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). She seems fearless, and now they're delving into her character more, and we see that she's actually very insecure. Summer is just more of a mystery still, unlike Marissa, who has, IMO, been delved into too much, especially for only the first season. Anna's big problem was that she came back after three episodes that brought in a huge amount of Seth/Summer shippers, so naturally, most of them (myself included) are going to dislike her.

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited Spud14 ]
For when Glinda chose to remember her youth at all...she could recall far more clearly how she and Elphie had shared a bed on the road to the Emerald City. How brave that had made her feel, and how vulnerable too.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by fallingxforever:
<STRONG>I wonder how she's gonna leave? I'm gonna miss her. I suddenly know how it feels to be an Anna fan [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

</STRONG>
awww... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I think it'll be a lil different when Theresa leaves because she doesn't live too far from Newport. So there's a much larger possibility that she'll show up again. If they ever choose to delve into Ryan's background, Theresa will inevitably be there... or if they have him going to his old neighbourhood...
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spud14:
<STRONG>Well, I think that most people connect with Summer more. It's like, she's the girl no one wants to admit that they want to be. She's popular, funny, bitchy, smart, and she has Adam/Seth chasing her...</STRONG>
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I, personally don't connect with Summer at all. I have never yearned to be bitchy, or 'popular' (what does that even really mean?). I know that a lot of people relate to Summer and I get that, but I don't understand it. I'm not trying to bash Summer, I respect her character and find her amusing, I just don't relate to her tactics. I guess I'm just the odd one out as I never understood why so many people disliked Anna. Sure she stood in the way of Seth and Summer getting together, but in the end she played a big part in Summer realizing that she liked Seth. Plus Anna was never outwardly cruel like Summer was to Seth before she knew him. Eventhough I related more to Anna, I knew that she and Seth would never last, it's just common sense. I accepted the character for what she was: a catalyst for the Seth/Summer relationship. I think Summer has improved from the first episodes (anyone remember the oxy cotin is gnaryly comment [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ), but my biggest gripe is that she changed too quickly.

Everything on the show moves too fast, is tied up too neatly, too easily. If it keeps up at this pace all the central relationships will be exhausted by the time the second season is over.

Chelsea [img]smilies/bubble.gif[/img]

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited *_Sparkle_* ]
Old 03-27-2004, 04:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spud14:
<STRONG>Well, I think that most people connect with Summer more. It's like, she's the girl no one wants to admit that they want to be. She's popular, funny, bitchy, smart, and she has Adam/Seth chasing her (which is like every girl's dream [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). She seems fearless, and now they're delving into her character more, and we see that she's actually very insecure. Summer is just more of a mystery still, unlike Marissa, who has, IMO, been delved into too much, especially for only the first season. Anna's big problem was that she came back after three episodes that brought in a huge amount of Seth/Summer shippers, so naturally, most of them (myself included) are going to dislike her.

[ 03-26-2004: Message edited Spud14 ]</STRONG>
i agree with you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] very well put
but i can also relate to anna in some ways too

WOW, it's a flying car -seth

shawdie :b
Old 03-27-2004, 04:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think Summer has improved from the first episodes (anyone remember the oxy cotin is gnaryly comment ), but my biggest gripe is that she changed too quickly.
I kinda think Summer has changed but the thing is...It's always been there. Thats who she is and she hides behind that attitude she has. Seth is the person who has brought out the real person that Summer is [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I don't think it was to quickly because thats who Summer is. She hasn't CHANGED, CHANGED just has opened up to somebody [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Which we will prob see more of!!

"My heart is a museum filled with pictures of you."
♥ {Cory & Lea} ♥

haydensgirl: Jess
Old 03-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by lleykian:
<STRONG>Mischa is in my view the weakest and it sucks because she has had some of the BEST material to work with; considering all the drama Marissa goes through. However even as badly as she does, I still think of her on Once & Again and that indie film with Bug Hall and believe she is capable of more.</STRONG>
I don't think Mischa is the weakest, but I know she can do better. I have seen a good number of her films and loved her on Once & Again and she was wonderful in them. She was the reason I started watching the show in the first place and now she's pretty much the only reason I watch the show, well that and Adam Brody is wonderful. Anna was becoming my favorite character until they took her off the show. I will be watching Samaire's new show, though.

As for what Spud14 said, I don't really know how to react. I used to hang out with girls like Summer all of the time and I got sick of them. Maybe that's the reason I'm not a real big fan of summer. I like Rachel and I think Summer can be funny sometimes but that's about it. I thought she was alright in the beginning because she was that girl we were supposed to hate and she was amusing, but when she pretty much tried sabotaging Anna and Seth's relationship, I decided I did not like her anymore. Everything on the show does happen too fast, like *_Sparkle_* said. I knew they wouldn't keep Anna around, but she was the character I could relate to the most.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Banned

Not sure if this has been posted but don't forget this weekend ET on MTV. The times are:

Saturday March 27- 11:30
Sunday March 28- 11:00
Old 03-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I kinda think Summer has changed but the thing is...It's always been there. Thats who she is and she hides behind that attitude she has. Seth is the person who has brought out the real person that Summer is I don't think it was to quickly because thats who Summer is. She hasn't CHANGED, CHANGED just has opened up to somebody Which we will prob see more of!!
Right on Haydensgirl! I think that the reason that Summer fell for Seth is because well obviously he is cute and hilarious, but mostly because she can be who she really is around him and he brings out the best in her!

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited Jenuh84 ]

Seth: It's always been you Summer, it's always been you.

Leyton.......and Jayton!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Master Fan

Sparkle, thanks for that news about Navi. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] I'm happy for her, but I'll miss her.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
Old 03-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Fan

I don't know if I can relate to Summer either and I love the girl. The reason I love her is because she's complex. She's not simple. She's not all sweet and she's not all bitchy. She's got issues and that makes her and S/S more interesting to watch.

As for Anna, she never grabbed my attention. I thought she was good in The Debut and The Heights but afterward the triangle got rushed. Anna got no character development while Summer and Seth did.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Loyal Fan

ET on MTV had a preview for the Nana. Only R/M stuff, No Nana [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ryan finds Marissa in Chino & tries to get her to come home. Same stuff from the preview on Wednesday. Then Luke comes to Chino apologizing to Marissa but she goes all Rage Blackout-ish & slaps Luke in front of Ryan & Eddie with Theresa looking on telling him to "get out of here"
Old 03-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Rooney Babe:
<STRONG>I wish that Anna and Theresa aren't or already left because its a little disappointing to connect so well with a character and then have the character leave the show. I mean, if it were Rachel leaving, I'm sure there would be petitions flying EVERYWHERE to get her back on the show, even if it were her decision to leave. Am I right or am I wrong? lol.
</STRONG>
There's a reason Rachel's leaving would create more of a reaction than Samaire and/or Navi. Her character is a mainstay and main part of the story's official arc, including the young characters. Look I understand why persons who like these characters will be sad to see them leave but I think one needs to be realistic here. I am reminded of something Josh Schwartz said about them making the character of Anna leave. His feeling was that to keep her around would actually be a disservice to the character and to the S/S relationship and I think I understand what he means.

The reality is Anna was a character created for a sole purpose as was Theresa. Hell, Samaire herself has said in interviews that her character's only purpose was to bring Seth and Summer together. Sucks, but let's face it; from Anna's timely appearance in Seth's life, right down to the MANY things she coincidentally had in common with him? I mean honestly.

As a result they never developed Anna any other way but as wanting Seth and then her only connection in the show and plot, was through him. I mean without Seth, Summer could still maintain as a steady character through her relationship with Marissa. Hell, Seth and Summer barely had scenes together in the early episodes of the season and week by week she still developed more screen time.

They could have kept Anna around and do what with her? Try to develop her own story and life? Why, when they have to be creating drama for their main characters which also includes the parents. I mean let's face it, all she is Seth's ex-girlfriend. They could have her simply as friends with them but then she'd just be the girl who dated Seth and now hangs around. These writers have barely delved in Summer's life, do we really see them willing to create an arc for Anna? I guess persons would say she and Seth could have continued being friends but as Josh said, that would show a disrespect to the S/S pairing they were so interested in building. The reality is had Anna stuck around, she'd be a character we'd see once in awhile, serving no real purpose except for a few plot contrivances when needed.

Josh said he knew from the pilot how the season would end; but that it was a case of tying things together. Now seeing as Josh created Anna only for a few episodes, I can't see that she factored into his story for the finale.

Now as for persons hate of Anna that people don't get. I can really only speak for myself here and honestly I didn't hate Anna. I just found the character uninteresting and thus was indifferent to her. Her first appearance was so cliched and obvious it was almost laughable. Then she came back and it was just as predictable. I get that we were supposed to see Anna as spunky and cool or whatever but I never really did. She told Seth he needed confidence the first time she met him; ummm okay that's pretty basic stuff. She came back and went from "I'll help you get Summer" to "don't speak her name ever" and then coming onto him. The fact is Anna was no different to me than any girl trying to get the guy she wants.

The thing is I don't like when writers insult my intelligence or try to shove storylines and people down my throat. They were trying TOO hard to make Anna the one you were supposed to root for and for some odd reason, most people ended up not liking her. I have to be honest and say I was surprised by the Anna hate when I got here. I figured everyone would be eating up the "they're SO perfect for each other, she gets him like no other, she likes him but he's too busy pining over a girl who's ignored him for so long, etc. etc." I mean on the fox boards the Anna love was strong so I figured it'd be the same here. I was really surprised by how much persons loved S/S. The fact is for me anyway, the writers forced bid to have me like Anna and root for her as being perfect for Seth made me not. That may sound childish and silly but it's the best way I could describe it. Oh, that and I found their chemistry very lacking.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Master Fan

Yep, we know nothing about Anna other than as she relates to Seth and she's from Pittsburgh.

I, on the other hand, didn't think they wanted us to root for them... at least not after a while. After they started dressing alike and all that nonsense, I didn't get it.

Anyway, I've been wondering something. Does Anna somehow know Oliver? Because I remember her telling the gang at Oliver's party that she knew him (the person throwing the party). But other than that statement, there was no indication they knew eachother.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NaijaChiqa:
<STRONG>Yep, we know nothing about Anna other than as she relates to Seth and she's from Pittsburgh.

I, on the other hand, didn't think they wanted us to root for them... at least not after a while. After they started dressing alike and all that nonsense, I didn't get it.

Anyway, I've been wondering something. Does Anna somehow know Oliver? Because I remember her telling the gang at Oliver's party that she knew him (the person throwing the party). But other than that statement, there was no indication they knew eachother.</STRONG>
That's something a number of people have always wondered since the NYE's episode. I guess it's one of those things the writers have left ambiguous. At the time the only thing I could think of was that the freak was probably having a party in one of the rooms that wasn't his. I mean doesn't his parents supposedly own the hotels? Honestly though, who knows with that nut Oliver.

About the wanting persons to like Anna thing; they did until they realized the enormity of the S/S love. Remember the dressing alike thing didn't come until a good few months later of dragging out this triangle. Josh admits to visiting TWOP and he had to have picked up on how many persons were rooting for S/S and how many persons thought S/A were TOO similar. I honestly think the writers didn't sabotage the relationship so much as they used the general fan view of the pair and worked with that. Let's face it, long before the dressing alike, many persons already thought Seth and Anna were too similar, too boring, etc.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by lleykian:
<STRONG>

About the wanting persons to like Anna thing; they did until they realized the enormity of the S/S love. Remember the dressing alike thing didn't come until a good few months later of dragging out this triangle. Josh admits to visiting TWOP and he had to have picked up on how many persons were rooting for S/S and how many persons thought S/A were TOO similar. I honestly think the writers didn't sabotage the relationship so much as they used the general fan view of the pair and worked with that. Let's face it, long before the dressing alike, many persons already thought Seth and Anna were too similar, too boring, etc.</STRONG>

You might be right. But I just remember that they had their love triangle thing where Summer and Anna were suddenly bestfriends and Seth had difficulty choosing between them, then on New Year's eve, Anna went over to his place. Then they had the episode where Anna was trying to get Seth to tell Summer about them. Definitely, by this point, the writers were making us root for S/S. Then after that, they had Summer interfering etc... I definitely never saw a point where Seth and Anna were in a relationship that did not involve his thing for Summer.

In my opinion, the only episode that the writers really wanted us to root for Seth and Anna was at the Cotillon... but even then we knew at the back of our minds that Seth was going to end up with Summer.

Yeah, before everything happened, I suspected Oliver didn't even own that penthouse, but since we now know he did, I suspect it was something they just threw in to explain Anna's presence at the party or maybe it was the introduction to a storyline they did away with. Either way, I doubt we'll ever know.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread