Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Master Fan

I didn't get a chance to respond last night because I had to leave but...

Quote:
So far, Jonah is nice, there's no but.
Jonah is nice and tends to fall in love hard. He's devoted to someone who isn't as devoted to him. He chooses not to see that. His career and morality are constantly at odds. His friend (Ella) and his fiance (Riley) are constantly at odds. He wants to please both of them along with everyone else but can't. He is a bit naive and way too trusting and gonna get burned.

To me that is a lot of layers for the first few episodes. His layers may not be something you are interested in and that's fine. But that doesn't mean they aren't there.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Total Fan

My only problem with Jonah is that I find him boring and that I don't think he fits in the Melrose Place world. This show is different than the one before but it is still trying to maintain a little bit of what made the first MP so popular and Jonah would probably be crushed and tossed away in an episode or two in the old one (and that woud have been part of the fun).
Old 09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Elite Fan

I'm just baffled that he's the centre of the triangle. The fact that he and Riley are such a tame, unexciting couple anyway and then Ella just wants to get in the middle of it doesn't add up. I get that she likes him but i honestly just don't buy that she has any serious feelings for him though.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jonah is just meh to me he's nice but I need more
Old 09-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

We just don't agree, I don't see those as layers. I see that as his storyline.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
We just don't agree, I don't see those as layers. I see that as his storyline.
What do you consider layers to be then?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Different aspects to his personality. If he had taken that job offered to him in the Pilot, he would have been a good guy, but one that is sometimes selish, and one that gives into temptation and we could see him trying to enjoy his big break and stuff, but he never could, because he'd know he didn't earn it, and he'd always be wondering what if, etc. That would have been a good storyline to show his layers - him battling with his happiness, good fortune, guilt, and his conscience - not to mention of how Riley's view of him would have changed, and how he'd deal with that. But instead, he just didn't do it because he doesn't want it that way, end of story. He's always doing the right thing, whereas by this point, most (if not all) the other character has been faced with a few moral dilemmas, and has chosen the wrong thing at least once, so we know there are other sides to them. Not saying that Jonah won't eventually do that, but at this point, he hasn't, so I don't see any layers to the dude.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Different aspects to his personality. If he had taken that job offered to him in the Pilot, he would have been a good guy, but one that is sometimes selish, and one that gives into temptation and we could see him trying to enjoy his big break and stuff, but he never could, because he'd know he didn't earn it, and he'd always be wondering what if, etc. That would have been a good storyline to show his layers - him battling with his happiness, good fortune, guilt, and his conscience - not to mention of how Riley's view of him would have changed, and how he'd deal with that. But instead, he just didn't do it because he doesn't want it that way, end of story.
But we did see him battling with those things. He serisously considered taking the job. And in the next episode he put work ahead of Riley and then later struggled with that. His job and his morals are going to be a constant battle through out the season. Sometimes he'll go with his job and sometimes his morals. Episode one he went with morals. Episode two he went with his job. If he ALWAYS went with his job than that wouldn't show layers either.

Quote:
He's always doing the right thing, whereas by this point, most (if not all) the other character has been faced with a few moral dilemmas, and has chosen the wrong thing at least once, so we know there are other sides to them.
Like I said above, in the last episode he was a jerk to Riley. He chose work over her. And his whole plot has been a moral dilemma.

Quote:
Not saying that Jonah won't eventually do that, but at this point, he hasn't, so I don't see any layers to the dude.
Like you said, it's still early. And TBH where is Violet's moral dilemma? Auggie? Yes they MAY have something going with their mystery plot but we don't know. At this point they have none. It they throw all of the layers to characters at us at once then it seams contrived and forced. We are slowly getting to see Jonah struggle with Hollywood, moral, and love. Those are layers. Again you don't have to like them or be interested in them. But they're present.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Elite Fan

Jonah just doesn't work for me. I prefer the two girls by themselves. I would take Jonah and Ella hooking up straight away though or whatever instead of dragging it out because I want Riley as far away from them both as possible.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 09-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Master Fan

I can totally respect that. You don't like him. Everyone has characters they just don't like. I don't like Violet. She hasn't done anything particularly terrible but I don't like her.

My whole point was that Jonah hasn't been developed way less than the other characters. Again it's episode two and we still don't know a lot about most of them. We don't know why Ella is the way she is. We don't know how Riley and Jonah relationship truly came to be. We don't know anything about Violet really. Auggie is a huge question mark. Etc.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

We saw him struggling with that decision? I saw the guy give him the offer, and then him explain to Riley that he didn't take it. He thought about it for like a car ride. And he was a jerk to Riley for two seconds during work, that's not really choosing his work over her, imo, just like helping Ella put in a camera that took an hour to do (that he did with Riley anyway), wasn't really picking the job over her. So far, I haven't really seen any struggle. I have no doubt that it's coming eventually, but it hasn't started yet in my eyes. And if it has, than that is weak as hell.

And I didn't say that a moral dilemma is what gives a character layers, that was an example of how they could have given Jonah some. But as for Auggie, all the stuff that happened with Sydney and him keeping what happened the night before a secret, and if he should come clean, burning whatever that was at the end of the Pilot, kissing Riley even though she's involved with his friend. His past with his dead girlfriend, and how that's effected him, if it was his fault, and the way he dates now. His struggles with his drinking, etc.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
We saw him struggling with that decision? I saw the guy give him the offer, and then him explain to Riley that he didn't take it. He thought about it for like a car ride. And he was a jerk to Riley for two seconds during work, that's not really choosing his work over her, imo, just like helping Ella put in a camera that took an hour to do (that he did with Riley anyway), wasn't really picking the job over her. So far, I haven't really seen any struggle. I have no doubt that it's coming eventually, but it hasn't started yet in my eyes. And if it has, than that is weak as hell.
Of course he sturggled. His dream job or his morals? Just because he didn't struggle for five hours doesn't me it wasn't huge. Struggling isn't always about time. And him choosing work and other things over Riley is slowly become more and more normal. It would be OOC for him to jump right into it in a huge way. If they didn't start of somewhat slowly then it would be annoyingly OOC. Again it's the SECOND episode.

You say Ella has all these layers but do we know that? She helped David and then reminded him of it multiple times. (And we aren't sure she didn't kill Sydney so she could be helping herself, though I doubt that) She had been nice to Jonah but she's also lied to him. Over all she puts her job and work before anything. The same way Jonah puts morals and love over everything. They both stuggle with things and have proven to choose their "true nature" in the end. They have the same depth of layers at this point, just oposite ones.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
My whole point was that Jonah hasn't been developed way less than the other characters. Again it's episode two and we still don't know a lot about most of them. We don't know why Ella is the way she is. We don't know how Riley and Jonah relationship truly came to be. We don't know anything about Violet really. Auggie is a huge question mark. Etc.
I don't think it's that he's being developed less, I just don't think his layers are as entertaining as the others. I feel that Riley is getting dragged down in her screentime since her entire storyline seems to be being a crappy fiance to him thus propping the Ella/Jonah relationship. I think ultimately he too will drag Ella down because already I don't like the way she behaves with him in regards to Riley. While I usually love the bitchy characters, I just think she comes off as childish or petty when talking about or with Riley.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I don't think it's that he's being developed less, I just don't think his layers are as entertaining as the others.
See THAT is what I was saying. Of course you have your opinion. THAT makes sense. You don't like him. You don't like his interaction with the other characters. He just isn't your cup of tea. I get that 100 percent. Like I said, I feel that way about Violet and Riley.

I was just pointing out (not to you really) that a reason to not like his wasn't because he didn't HAVE layers/development. A reason to not like him would be because you didn't LIKE his layers/development.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Master Fan

Hey guys I found this I dont know if you seen it yet or if is reliable but it is the ep summary for ep 6

Here is the synopsis for Melrose Place Episode 1.06 “Shoreline” courtesy of SpoilerTV.

RILEY IS OFFERED THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME — Anton V. (guest star Kevin Alejandro), a famous fashion designer, meets Riley (Jessica Lucas) and decides she must be the face of his new denim jean campaign, much to his publicist Ella’s (Katie Cassidy) horror. Jonah (Michael Rady) is excited about the offer as he’s run into financial issues but Riley turns down the gig. Wendi (guest star Kelly Carlson) sends Lauren (Stephanie Jacobsen) on a job on a yacht, but Lauren panics when she sees David (Shaun Sipos) board the boat. Violet (Ashlee Simpson-Wentz) feigns illness to orchestrate a meeting with Michael (Thomas Calabro) at the hospital as part of her plan to exact revenge for the way he treated Sydney (Laura Leighton). Roxann Dawson directed the episode written by Alex McNally (#105).

Melrose Place Spoilers – Episode 1.06 – Shoreline – Synopsis | Melrose Place Spoilers | Melrose Place Fansite