Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Master Fan

At least one whining will stop after 7.13......
Old 01-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlynn
Married = good; single = pathetic.
Good to know I'm pathetic.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
You're being contradictory here. If Rory has no storyline, then how can she appear to be whiney or reach anyone's level of dopiness. She's basically just been there in the background doing reaction shots. What else has there been? (I know you might not know because you don't care about her or watch her scenes.)
Why is it contradictory ? How does whining call for a storyline ? Whining is a storyline for you ? Logan is not here, Logan is working all the time, Logan has a female co-worker, Logan goes to dinner with me and brings his co-workers, I don't know what to do with my life. Marty doesn't want me to tell my new friends we know each other. Logan please don't tell her. She doesn't do anything else, she is in the background like you said so therefore has no real storyline and it's boring in my books. I watch it and that's it. I don't get attached to it or care about it.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks caf for the thread.

When Christopher arrives and “the scene at the hospital is more than he can take”, I wonder if he walks out leaving the little unit together and Lorelai sees him as he goes. Either that or they discretely have another argument at the hospital and it’s more than she can take. By the end of 7:13, irreparable damage would have been done causing Lorelai to give up on the marriage in 7:14.

Last edited by 2ggObsessed; 01-19-2007 at 10:13 AM
Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlynn
HA!!! I remember people -- JJs as a matter of fact -- defending Rory on these points and chastising Logan for not mentioning Bobby or that they were going to be dining with co-workers, for not going along with Marty and Rory's lie, for finally moving out of Logan's richy-rich apt. and making it on her own! It wasn't whining then, but now it's whining? So, you now support Logan's point of view, and think Rory had not a leg to stand on?
I think Logan's actions in that episode stand independently of Rory's petulant reactions.

A couple of other instances of whiny Rory that come to my mind are,

1. Her reaction to Lorelai being married, punishing her by ignoring her calls, and then whining about not being there.

2. Whining to Lorelai about Logan ratting her out to Lucy. I didn't care for the way Logan handled that, but Rory's primary concern should've been that she screwed up with Lucy, not whining that Logan was a stupid bowl of soup.

Icon by tv_lindy
Old 01-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappuccino (View Post)
Why is it contradictory ? How does whining call for a storyline ? Whining is a storyline for you ? Logan is not here, Logan is working all the time, Logan has a female co-worker, Logan goes to dinner with me and brings his co-workers, I don't know what to do with my life. Marty doesn't want me to tell my new friends we know each other. Logan please don't tell her. She doesn't do anything else, she is in the background like you said so therefore has no real storyline and it's boring in my books. I watch it and that's it. I don't get attached to it or care about it.
That's the key to it. When it comes to Lorelai and Luke, many other people are attached to it. Right? When Luke complains about Kirk, or kids in his dinner; when Lorelai complains about her parents intentions towards her, or when she complained to Sookie about not being to be in contact with April. You understood, right? Because you cared. Or you laugh it off, because it's a minor part of the whole scheme of things. So can you understand that those who are attached to Rory and care about her consider her not as a whiner, but as a human. Because we care.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachypeep (View Post)
Thanks caf - too bad about the title, though. Hee.
Thanks for that. Classy as always.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly (View Post)
I think Logan's actions in that episode stand independently of Rory's petulant reactions.

A couple of other instances of whiny Rory that come to my mind are,

1. Her reaction to Lorelai being married, punishing her by ignoring her calls, and then whining about not being there.

2. Whining to Lorelai about Logan ratting her out to Lucy. I didn't care for the way Logan handled that, but Rory's primary concern should've been that she screwed up with Lucy, not whining that Logan was a stupid bowl of soup.
Oh, so now Rory shouldn't have been unhappy and/or voiced that unhappiness at not being asked to attend her parents wedding? What is the difference, then, between voicing a legitimate concern and whining? There seems to be none considering the examples I'm getting. If Rory's concerned about anything and voices it, she's whining. If she remained silent -- well, *then* she wouldn't be on the show at all -- but, leaving that aside, if she remained silent, there would be complaints about that!!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlynn (View Post)
Oh, so now Rory shouldn't have been unhappy and/or voiced that unhappiness at not being asked to attend her parents wedding? What is the difference, then, between voicing a legitimate concern and whining? There seems to be none considering the examples I'm getting. If Rory's concerned about anything and voices it, she's whining. If she remained silent -- well, *then* she wouldn't be on the show at all -- but, leaving that aside, if she remained silent, there would be complaints about that!!

There sure would. She would be blindly following Logan, be pod-Rory, and be too insecure to speak her mind, among other things.

Poor Rory can't win. No matter what she does, she's wrong.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahLovesLogan (View Post)
Thanks for that. Classy as always.
Oops - was it your suggestion? No malice intended! Hey, nobody voted for my title - classy bunch,indeed.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahLovesLogan (View Post)
Poor Rory can't win. No matter what she does, she's wrong.
Seems like the two Lorelais can't win whichever way you look at it. I guess that explains why they are like two peas in a pod.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachypeep (View Post)
Oops - was it your suggestion? No malice intended! Hey, nobody voted for my title - classy bunch,indeed.
Speaking of class, why is the only scene we have seen of Rory in class when Richard collapes? I guess there will be more when they introduce the TA. How fab
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

CAF!!!!!!!! I so cannot wait to start doing threads. Boy, is it going to be fun. Fun and a whole lot of COLOUR SCHEME CHANGES! It's going to be totally brutal. Totally. Very nice title Sarah. Yes, she is classy. She's classy like New York circa 1978!

Mizzlurk, GOOD JOB! Exactly. We care about Rory as a character. The rest of you fans of a couple that are the two whinest es on this entire show...do not. If you state that you do. Fine. Enjoy that descrepency. Because it makes about as much sense as stating that you like a character, then throwing them under the BUS. I love many a character on this show, and might even go as far as being a mark for them. However, please do not waste my time, telling me you care about Rory. When you see her as a whiner. But hey; hypocrisy is BIG FUN in this thread on occassion. Lots of big fun!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJSW (View Post)
CAF!!!!!!!! I so cannot wait to start doing threads. Boy, is it going to be fun. Fun and a whole lot of COLOUR SCHEME CHANGES! It's going to be totally brutal. Totally. Very nice title Sarah. Yes, she is classy. She's classy like New York circa 1978!
And you would know.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlynn (View Post)
Did I say that? There's nothing wrong with being disappointed and letting it show, but punishing someone and being whiny and petulant about it is something else completely. What was Rory's legitimate concern there? Certainly not that she was afraid her mom had rushed into the marriage without thinking it through -- I would've preferred that, and I said so at the time. Instead she doles out a guilt trip, gives her mom the silent treatment, and whines because she went off and got married without her. I keep hearing that Lorelai needs to grow up -- well to me, Rory acted more like an adult at 16 than she does now.

Apparently on this show love makes you regress, so maybe both Girls should end up single by the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJSW
Because it makes about as much sense as stating that you like a character, then throwing them under the BUS.
Didn't you throw Rory under the bus when the news about her intense crush on the TA came out?

And actually, it's because I care about Rory that I hate to see her being written as a whiner. Which, in my opinion, she has become. If I didn't care about her, it wouldn't bother me.

Icon by tv_lindy

Last edited by damselfly; 01-19-2007 at 10:43 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread