Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Ashley (View Post)
I know this discussion is over but I agree with this. Had Rory been the daughter of a quirky townie, I'm not sure Luke would have paid her the same amount of attention, simply because he is Luke and is oblivious to children unless they are his own. Having said that, I think it's interesting that some people are using this as an argument against Luke- what exactly does that prove? It's not as if Luke knew from day one that he would end up with Lorelai- and it's certainly not as if he did all those things to impress Lorelai. The only role Lorelai had in Luke's affection for Rory was that she made Rory more visible to the ever-oblivious Luke. He took it from there.
No one was using it as an argument against Luke. The only people who seemed to think it was some horrible thing were the people arguing the point.
without alcohol.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkirk7 (View Post)
No one was using it as an argument against Luke. The only people who seemed to think it was some horrible thing were the people arguing the point.

I know- that's who I am directing it at!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Title Suggestion and vote:
"A Spoiler a Day Would Keep the Fighting Away"
Old 12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej5541 (View Post)
Love it!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Master Fan

Stealing my siggy there j/k

Twitter: nlm78
Old 12-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I know it's early but I'll vote for this one
Old 12-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I know- that's who I am directing it at!
I think you misunderstood her.

Quote:
Now that is the funniest post you've ever written. And not intentionally either.
Always happy to entertain.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I know this discussion is over but I agree with this. Had Rory been the daughter of a quirky townie, I'm not sure Luke would have paid her the same amount of attention, simply because he is Luke and is oblivious to children unless they are his own.
From "Forgiveness and Stuff":
Luke: LUKE: Did I mention you come here every damn day?
He was talking to lorelai of course, but it was also true of Rory. What other SH child ate daily at the diner? Also, what other child was quite so ... unchildish? Rory was written to be special and to stand out, from the start.

Quote:
Having said that, I think it's interesting that some people are using this as an argument against Luke
I don't even know if it would be an argument against Luke? Perhaps it would - using a child to get to its mother isn't very attractive.

But we have seen time and time again that Luke has a genuine interest in and closeness to Rory, separately from Lorelai. What's so hard to understand about that?

The main objection to that silly idea has been that it simply isn't true. It's not what the show has shown. Not at all.

Some posters don't always let the facts get in the way of their arguments, lol.

Quote:
The only role Lorelai had in Luke's affection for Rory was that she made Rory more visible to the ever-oblivious Luke. He took it from there.
Eh, thinking back to the first few seasons, Rory actually stood out somewhat in Stars Hollow, all by herself. I think she made herself visible (perhaps because she's one of the two leads in the show. Or was then. Where she's got to now, only the writers know.)

I guess if she and Lorelai reminesce about about Luke meant to them, at least it's another Rory scene. Oy.

Lorelai, about her dog: He's totally fine having his personal freedoms slowly stripped away,
as long as he's completely unaware that it's happening - just like a true American.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well we must have learnt that from the show runner, not worried about fact getting in the way of a bad SL in ep 7.07.

Luke does love Rory more than other "kids" in town, whether that was to get into Lorelai's pants does it matter, NO! He didn't do anything about it for 8 frakken years, until the time was right. Does he love her more now, well yes. He was as close to her mother as anyone can get and she was expecting Luke to be her step dad.

Yes he loves them both, he is in denial right now just as much as Lorelai is, something will happen to get them both out of the denial stage and back together.

Maybe someone should ask Ausiello if he has any spoilers on L&L getting back as a couple, 'cause right now the only things we know is C&L break up and L&L get closer but does that mean as a couple?

And how will all this affect Rory and just about everyone one the show?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf123 (View Post)

Is that directed at me?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Great title! Can you bring it forward again when we get to titles? Thanks.

Lorelai, about her dog: He's totally fine having his personal freedoms slowly stripped away,
as long as he's completely unaware that it's happening - just like a true American.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I don't even know if it would be an argument against Luke? Perhaps it would - using a child to get to its mother isn't very attractive.

But we have seen time and time again that Luke has a genuine interest in and closeness to Rory, separately from Lorelai. What's so hard to understand about that?

The main objection to that silly idea has been that it simply isn't true. It's not what the show has shown. Not at all.

And some don't let the actual posts get in the way of theirs. It's not a matter of "using" Rory to "get into Lorelai's pants" and it was never meant as a dis on Luke. Just a statement of fact that Luke's interest in Lorelai put Rory on his radar and led to his caring for her. It's not a bad thing. It's not an insult.
without alcohol.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
And some don't let the actual posts get in the way of theirs. It's not a matter of "using" Rory to "get into Lorelai's pants" and it was never meant as a dis on Luke. Just a statement of fact that Luke's interest in Lorelai put Rory on his radar and led to his caring for her. It's not a bad thing. It's not an insult.
I understand, and I agree. Sorry- I think I misunderstood; I thought people were viewing this as a Luke character flaw.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Just a statement of fact that Luke's interest in Lorelai put Rory on his radar and led to his caring for her.
Never saw that. Not sure how you can say it's a "fact" when in fact it's opinion. The show never presented it that way. Lol.

Luke and Rory actually connected more as a result of Rory's relationship with Jess. You don't think having a 17-year-old necking with your nephew upstairs puts her on your radar? Especially an old-fashioned overly concerned guy like Luke.

Quote:
It's not a bad thing. It's not an insult.
Not taking it as an insult. Simply pointing out it's wrong. Remember when we used to spec about characters' motivations? Made for some good discussions.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf
I don't even know if it would be an argument against Luke? Perhaps it would - using a child to get to its mother isn't very attractive
You didn't take it as an insult?

Sorry. I shouldn't use the word "fact" I guess. It just seems clear to me that Rory became important to Luke because of his connection with Lorelai. Not solely because of Lorelai. If she was bratty I would imagine he wouldn't have cared for her like he does. But the initial motivation to get to know a child came from his interest in Lorelai, to me.

Quote:
Luke and Rory actually connected more as a result of Rory's relationship with Jess. You don't think having a 17-year-old necking with your nephew upstairs puts her on your radar? Especially an old-fashioned overly concerned guy like Luke.
Except that she was already on his radar. We didn't see any great interest in Shane. He was worried about Rory dating Jess because he already cared about her.
without alcohol.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread