Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Elite Fan

Hey angry. You do make a good point there on how it depends which version of the anime you heard first. Say like Sailor Moon. In America, especially for kids, they grew up hearing the English version and have gotten used to it.

Though I did my rant on the voice acting for Crayon Shinchan, I applaud Cartoon Network for being smart enough to put Crayon Shinchan on Adult Swim instead of Toonami (Toonami hasn't been the same since Sailor Moon was pulled from the air. That and DBZ has overstayed its welcome). After all, Crayon Shinchan is a cartoon not intended for kids, even if the main character is a 5 year old who takes after his father.

So kudos to CN, you've finally done something right
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:25 AM
Elite Fan

I'm going to entertain you with some rants of why certain things were taken off from Yu-Gi-Oh or added/edited.

Here's some keywords in case I'm going to get people confused:
Cut: English version has cut this entirely
Edited: It's still there, just that 4Kids tinkered with it
Added: Ranges from lights to clothes.

All pics: Yu-Jyo.net

Keep in mind that these are not the real reasons but just my theories:

Theory: In hopes of preventing kids from diving more in to obesity by copying this move.

Theory: Bakura's just a dark magical creature and one must emphasize on that. I think...

Theory: It's a world where no one catches even the sniffles. Well, except for Bakura's constant habit of fainting that landed him in the hospital...

Theory: None of us was supposed to know this guy had any abs at all

Theory: Gene Simmons was afraid of the competition.

I'll add more later on but what do you guys think
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Elite Fan

Time to bring back an oldie but a goodie.

But it's because I watched this comparison of the original vs. the English version of Sailor Moon. Kudos to this person:

Side-by-Side Comparison 1, Dub and Original Sailormoon
Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think 90% of the anime is better with sub

The eyes are the windows to the soul;
if you look into them long enough, one's true self is revealed.
babyyangelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Elite Fan

Like with movies, I tend to like both. I only speak English, so I think I need to watch both to get a fuller understanding of what I'm watching.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Elite Fan

I think while that's true, depending on what series you're watching, much can be lost in the translation. But you get the gist of it.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:40 AM
New Fan

There are a few dubs I think work really well. Evangellion is one of them, if I remember correctly. The voices all fit well. Other shows like One Piece work MUUUUUCH better subtitled.
firstjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Elite Fan

In my personal opinion, anything that runs in to 4Kids Entertainment usually spells trouble. One Piece has had a lot cut out, and I believe one of the characters was actually black but changed to a white character. [Picture Link]

And looking back at those Yu-Gi-Oh pictures that I posted long time ago, I decided to revisit the site and watch the originals. All I can say, Yami no Marik is psychotic and funny at the same time. They toned it down a lot in the dub.

Recently, I just saw comments on said Yu-Gi-Oh clips on what would happen if Death Note happened to air in America and they would change the title to "Disappear Note" because there's the word "Death" in the original. Which leads to the censors having an issue with the word if they were to market the series to a younger audience.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

it always depends on the anime for me. Like InuYasha...i love the sub for the actual lines..but i prefer the voices of the english voice actors so much more (Like, for me, i HATE how the japanese voice actor for Inuyasha pretty much just screams the whole time)

Same thing with Dragonball Z...isn't Goku's voice actor a woman in japan? It just bugs me that you have this adult man and he sounds like a full-grown woman in the japanese original lol

EDIT: i found the link in the anti-dub thread and dug this thread up :-P

Last edited by WildAtHeart; 04-23-2010 at 11:54 PM
WildAtHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Elite Fan

I looked it up and you're right. Goku was voiced by a woman.

I guess it all depends on whether it suits the character. I remember in Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakura was voiced by a woman as well. Or sounds like.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I like dubs so that I can work on other projects while I watch/listen to the movies Plus I grew up watching My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service with the English dubs. But it does bug me when a movie has a perfectly good dub and they decide to redo it (like they did with My Neighbor Totoro).
funky_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
New Fan

I have to go with subs on this one.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This person writes a blog and uses DBZ was one of the many shows that make people decide dubbed or original Japanese Anime uncensored: Dragon Ball He writes /blogs about all things anime . not a fan site blogs and articles about anime
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Elite Fan

Hi Matt,

I think it's better if you just linked that at the Anime thread since this thread is just for a debate on whether Japanese anime is better in subtitled/original version or in its dubbed (more commonly English) version.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Well both but i like dubbed better so i dont have to look at the bottom for subs and miss the picture