Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Elite Fan

I havent played both Kingdom Hearts but I've seen screenshots with Cloud and Sephi(roth)
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

Ash told me that they're the same person some-how...

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Jedisakora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't necessarily prefer dubs, but I think they should be an option. And anything that creates work for actors is a good thing IMO. But that's just me.

Also, I think it gets more people into anime. I watch subtitled foreign movies all the time, but I never did it with anything animated. But well dubbed animes on Adult Swim got me into the genre (ie Cowboy Bebop).

Now I can go either way. If the VA's are good and expressive, I don't have a problem with dubbing.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Master Fan

I guess Dubs are good that they lead you into the original sometimes. Its how i saw Sailor Moon and CardCaptor Sakura to begin with but sometimes i think they can turn you off from watching the original too.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Elite Fan

I suppose it depends on how it's dubbed and how dubbers handle it. Are they gonna cut off random stuff...etc.

Dubs are okay for the fact you don't have to read the subtitles. I don't mind reading the subtitles...it's just something you get used to.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Master Fan

I know. After watching 3 episodes in a row i sometimes forget i'm reading subtitles

Old 06-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Elite Fan

You just get used to it

Rarely does 4Kids cuts and dubs amuse me or isn't drastic. This one seems to be okay (quite frankly, it looks pretty cute in the English version)

But most often, 4Kids light fetishes and random cuts never fail to amuse me. One example is taking out letters from a computer keyboard.

Soon enough, not only will we have kids that have the potential to be illiterate but computer illiterate as well.

Last edited by Lain; 06-05-2006 at 01:06 AM
Old 06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Elite Fan

So, anyone else want to put their two cents on dubbing and subbing?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Master Fan

I didn't see those pics earlier. I don't see why they had to dub out the keyboard

Old 06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Elite Fan

I'll understand dubbing the zoo sign (the lions are actually cute ) but dubbing the keyboards is just dumb
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Total Fan

Since i'm so used to subtitles.. I think it's better but if it is dubbed it allows people instead of having to read to follow the chracters better or story-line definitely. It does sound kind of weird to me though at times because of the difference in the sounds of th original to the dubbed.

"What I need is the dandelion in the spring, only Peeta can give me that."-Peeta/Katniss
MBfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

You can't forger dialog, character personalities, and places.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBfan19
Since i'm so used to subtitles.. I think it's better but if it is dubbed it allows people instead of having to read to follow the chracters better or story-line definitely. It does sound kind of weird to me though at times because of the difference in the sounds of th original to the dubbed.
There are some anime series when the voice actors who dub it to the English/American version sound lifeless. I can understand if they have to slightly change the dialogue because our mouth movements aren't the same to the Japanese version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFan19
I think it's better but if it is dubbed it allows people instead of having to read to follow the chracters better or story-line definitely.
This is true. But sometimes the story line or the characters do change in dubbed versions. Sailor Moon (story-line wise when episodes were being omitted entirely), Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece...etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Elite Fan

I will only say this once. I hate it when VA's force themselves to try and sound like the original character...when dubbing that is I was a bit disappointed at Shinchan's dubbed voice. I know the seiyuu for Shinchan was a woman but this dubbed version, the VA is just attempting to sound manly with a hint of a woman's voice >.<
Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

For me, it usually depends on how I first heard the anime in question...For example I first heard Neon Genesis Evangelion in Japanese with english subtitles and when I saw the dubbed version I found myself constantly nitpicking Shinji and Rei's voices... Not that I'm dissing the voice actors..much props to them but sometimes I feel that they don't "get" the characters...For example in English Shinji sounds whiney when in the original Japanese version he sounds apathetic.

Sailor Moon I first heard dubbed and loved it until they changed the voice actors and the new actors tried to sound like the originals and it wasn't that good...Now I can only stand the Japanese version..

Cowboy Bebop I first heard dubbed and think its one of the finest dubbings ever...I heard the Japanese dub and didn't like it as much.

So for me, I usually prefer an anime depending on how I heard it first.

Connor: I think I'm losing my mind.
Avery: Dude, your'e starting to freak me out.
Connor: How do you think I feel?
-Angel Spotlight: Connor
angry little lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread