Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM
Extreme Fan

once again! wicked
av credit-paintedxlie
Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

I saw the film over the weekend and I believe the script, while not outstanding, at least saves what is more or less a mediocre action film in my opinion.

Some will find this view ironic because of the stink the die-hard X-Men fans have been making on the internet over who wrote and worked on the script (One of the "Catwoman" writers and another not-so-great comic book adaptation writers), let alone who they chose to direct it, Brett Ratner.

The film is good for what it is, but I fall into the camp who state it is the weakest of all the three X-Man films, and I think this is because of Bret Rattner and how he directs as well as the parts of the script which were unbalanced like the Logan/Jean pairing; Cyclops being killed; Rouge becoming human, etc.

I thought all of the actors did well with what they were given, so no complaints there.

However, my biggest criticism of the film is everything goes by way too fast for both the audience and the characters to really take it all in and this is the fault of Ratner because he is a midcard, Michael Bay wannabe director and makes no bones about it.... Whereas Bryan Singer and other comic book movie directors like Chris Nolan (Batman Begins) realize no matter how outrageous the characters and situations are in comic book films as long as you ground the characters in real human emotions and treat them as real, fleshed out characters people are willing to overlook the fact that someone can leap a tall building in a single bound, or dress up as a bat and fight crime at night.

I feel Ratner really doesn't get this... Nor, does he even hide the fact he doesn't.

Hence, why I said the script actually saves this film from being just another bad comic book movie, but Ratner still insists on going the Michael Bay route by trying to hide his misunderstanding of the characters in CGI action sequences and over-the-top effects when subtley would have served some scenes better in my opinion.

X-Men III is not a bad film, overall, and is good for the summer box office season. But I hope they make a fourth one with a better director and writers because this did not feel like the right note to end the series on for good. It wrapped things up, but it all felt very rushed which transltaes into not a memorable or fitting ending for a series of this magnitude and history.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

(Double Post)

FF seems to have a lot of glitches lately...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
I saw the film over the weekend and I believe the script, while not outstanding, at least saves what is more or less a mediocre action film in my opinion.

Some will find this view ironic because of the stink the die-hard X-Men fans have been making on the internet over who wrote and worked on the script (One of the "Catwoman" writers and another not-so-great comic book adaptation writers), let alone who they chose to direct it, Brett Ratner.

The film is good for what it is, but I fall into the camp who state it is the weakest of all the three X-Man films, and I think this is because of Bret Rattner and how he directs as well as the parts of the script which were unbalanced like the Logan/Jean pairing; Cyclops being killed; Rouge becoming human, etc.

I thought all of the actors did well with what they were given, so no complaints there.

However, my biggest criticism of the film is everything goes by way too fast for both the audience and the characters to really take it all in and this is the fault of Ratner because he is a midcard, Michael Bay wannabe director and makes no bones about it.... Whereas Bryan Singer and other comic book movie directors like Chris Nolan (Batman Begins) realize no matter how outrageous the characters and situations are in comic book films as long as you ground the characters in real human emotions and treat them as real, fleshed out characters people are willing to overlook the fact that someone can leap a tall building in a single bound, or dress up as a bat and fight crime at night.

I feel Ratner really doesn't get this... Nor, does he even hide the fact he doesn't.

Hence, why I said the script actually saves this film from being just another bad comic book movie, but Ratner still insists on going the Michael Bay route by trying to hide his misunderstanding of the characters in CGI action sequences and over-the-top effects when subtley would have served some scenes better in my opinion.

X-Men III is not a bad film, overall, and is good for the summer box office season. But I hope they make a fourth one with a better director and writers because this did not feel like the right note to end the series on for good. It wrapped things up, but it all felt very rushed which transltaes into not a memorable or fitting ending for a series of this magnitude and history.
I totally believe what you are saying and I couldn't agree more.

I just bought a magazine who has this huge X-men special. I'll read it soon, 'cause I think it'll be very interesting.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

I am going to jump right into your little discussion here.

I have to say that I actaully loved this movie. I love all three of them. Sure - X1 and X2 are better - no dicussion there. But this completely rocked. Sure, I would still think it rocked if you just placed a poster with the cast on it infront of me. Anyways, sure, the movie was rushed and I didn't like that (nor did I like the comment Iceman said to Pyro about staying in school but I think it is because I love Pyro and I hate so see him get beaten - even though I love Iceman very much as well). But some moments totally kicked ass *cough*all the scenes with pyro and/or magento*cough*

I liked the whole Dark Phoenix thing as well, if you take out the whole Wolverine/Jean thing. I found the whole emotional things Wolverine went through this movie, was sooo out of character. But I can live with it I love the X-Men movies too much to bad-mouth the new movie
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

i went to see it a 2nd time and stil lthink its the best of the 3.i think because the audience is more involved than the first 2..first 2 movies i remember it was pretty much quiet during them. but this 1 had ppl laughing at the right parts and going "wow" at the right parts. And I liked the plot better. the Cure thing was much better than the plots in the first 2
Old 05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Loyal Fan

Dingbat

can I ask for a Jean/Logan or Pheonix/Wolverine one! please!

Blair Waldorf - - Nate & Serena - - Kristen Stewart - Taylor Lautner - Michelle Dockery
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat
Colossus

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
whether the film was good or not...X3 popped huge at the box office with $107 million in the 3day weekend. that's good for Marvel...might open a possibility for a forth one.
If the numbers aren't enough to convince them...I don't know what is.

Quote:
You know what would make me the happiest girl on the planet right now? If we got an X-Men Board. But that's just me ^^
Actually, I think we used to have one. Could be wrong, though.

Join the John Mayer campaign!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty
There won't be another one in this series. They said this is the last one. (Thus why it's called "The Last Stand") That doesn't mean there won't be any more X-Men movies period, but as far as writer, director and cast they aren't continuing these.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieN
Dingbat

can I ask for a Jean/Logan or Pheonix/Wolverine one! please!
Um...sure. I suppose so. I'm glad you like my walls enough to ask I'm flattered. Give me a week or two tho. I still have 3 more solo characters, then a Fire vs. Ice one. I'll see what I can do
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Um...sure. I suppose so. I'm glad you like my walls enough to ask I'm flattered. Give me a week or two tho. I still have 3 more solo characters, then a Fire vs. Ice one. I'll see what I can do
You are making a Fire vs. Ice wall? OMG. Can't wait for it! *keeps fingers crossed that you will have done it soon*
Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by **SuperGirl**
Actually, I think we used to have one. Could be wrong, though.
There was an X-Men board. After X-2 came out. It was closed due to low traffic. I'd love to have it back, but it would just die again after the hype and excitement over the X-3 ended. That's pretty much what happened with the X-Men board the first time. There's still the comics and other things, but not enough people are into that to keep the board running.

JMO only though.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Extreme Fan

Well I just saw the film today... I thought it was great but there we're also a few things I didn't like about it... I won't go into too much detain incase anyone hasn't seen it yet.

The whole thing seemed to be moving way too fast, and also lack of screentime for certain characters.... Angel for one how long was he in the film 7 minutes??? I didn't expect him to be in the whole film but come on, three small sceens. I can understand why James Marsden wasn't in the film much with filming Superman returns and all. Rogue had a few small scenes... I wasn't realy pleased with the final result for her character....

But I suppose if you put all three films together each character gets pleanty of screentime...

I like that even after everything that happened Angel still swooped in to save his dad. The beginning scene with little Warren was just heartbreaking.

I loved the Danger Room scene that was great, and the sentinal was a nice extra

Logan was fantastic as always I never have a bad word to say as far as this guy goes, and Hugh Jackman is amazing he is wolverine nobody could play this part like him.

I thought Kitty was great I enjoyed her character more then I thought I would, her scenes during the final battle were great, I couldn't stop laughing when she called Juggernaut a D*** head Vinni Jones did a great job I think he was right for the part.

Pyro was great and I loved the fight between him and Iceman, and Iceman covered his body in ice, I was sat through X2 thinking is he going to do it yet?

Old 05-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Awesome wallpapers and I can wait for thr Fire vs Ice one
My LJ
Old 05-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
There was an X-Men board. After X-2 came out. It was closed due to low traffic. I'd love to have it back, but it would just die again after the hype and excitement over the X-3 ended. That's pretty much what happened with the X-Men board the first time. There's still the comics and other things, but not enough people are into that to keep the board running.

JMO only though.
Ah, okay...I thought so. It's been a while. I remember seeing the board, but never posted on it. Which is probably my problem. Too much lurking.

Dingbat - Did you make your icon, or find it somewhere?

Join the John Mayer campaign!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread