Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasha4god (View Post)
So happy for Spike Lee and Into the Spider-verse for winning Oscars in their respective categories.
Same!

Also really happy about Regina King winning! Mahershala Ali winning his second Oscar. Though I wish it was for a different movie.

I read on Twitter that Spike Lee talked about the oscarssowhite campaign, how it opened a lot of doors for POC. The creator of the campaign was invited to this year’s Oscars, she must have had a great time.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.

Last edited by Karma Police; 02-24-2019 at 11:57 PM
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

The highlight of Oscars night - Spike Lee jumping into Samuel L Jackson's arms.

Everything else? Meh.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodsmariano (View Post)
you got your wish
I am surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly85 (View Post)
Surprisingly, the show wasn't that bad and I wasn't bored to death for once. It also wasn't excruciatingly long, no host seems to work best.
I definitely agree
Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I did my normal after first 30 min change the channel till like 40 min left in the broadcast .
Best picture winner was a surprise, some wanted or had other movies as a sure bet . Black Panther was not one of them nor should it have been . Black Klansmen was good as was The Favorite . Never saw A Star is born but it got original song ..

Quote:
Also really happy about Regina King winning! Mahershala Ali winning his second Oscar. Though I wish it was for a different movie.
Regina long time favorite actress , don't want to hear about white washing the Oscars , Two african american actors won Oscars , A spanish director took home best director .
The winners ,I thought where very diverse ..
Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I loved so many of the winners yesterday but really felt the show was unprofessional and misorganized. Not having a host was just one of the things. The awkward camera in people's faces on the stage, the fact that the HUGE stage was dwarfed by the set design giving us 20% of the stage visible....and those first few speeches, minus Regina King, were just awkward. Those moments of silence shouldn't be allowed. People need to be briefed. I really hope they get their crap together for next year because this just didn't feel like it had the class it usually has.

Also, yay for Gaga!!
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenSirens (View Post)
I really felt the show was unprofessional and misorganized. Not having a host was just one of the things. The awkward camera in people's faces on the stage, the fact that the HUGE stage was dwarfed by the set design giving us 20% of the stage visible....and those first few speeches, minus Regina King, were just awkward. Those moments of silence shouldn't be allowed. People need to be briefed. I really hope they get their crap together for next year because this just didn't feel like it had the class it usually has.
Here, here It felt like they were trying to be clever by cancelling a host, as if they were proving a point after they shoved Kevin Hart to the side. Personally, I'm tired of seeing Tina Fey and Amy Poehler co-host these things... And there they were again last night, hogging the spotlight. I just don't find them funny.

Plus, every speech is just so heavy on the political tones with Spike Lee blatantly going into discussion about it... I like the guy but I'm tired of people sidelining their delight over winning and instead using these award shows as a platform for getting people to vote - there used to be a time where people just got on stage, thanked their families and movie directors, and graciously left.

That said, this made me giggle (under tags for swearing) -

Spoiler:
Skam Italia icon
Gwen

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 02-25-2019 at 08:04 AM
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

I was happy about most of the winners though there wasn't anything special about the show. I think Ellen should host it every year, it'd definitely be funny don't know why they went without a host this year, it was really missing something

JoJoF92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think there were both pros and cons to not having a host this year

pros being the show moving along a bit faster and cons being I guess a bit disorganized?

Ellen was the last Oscars host I actually really liked (all the hosts after her have been pretty meh)

yeah I'm with you Gwen although I feel like it was somewhat better this year and not as politically charged/preachy/using the show as a platform to speak as it has been the last 3 years

haha that's pretty funny Gwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elif_ZV (View Post)
I am surprised

I'm not too surprised though. Usually they like to pick more artistic films and not necessarily the most popular one/the one that made the most money at the box office at the Oscars for Best Picture plus I've noticed that they have a tendency to like shocking people sometimes with their winner choices (more unpredictable than the Golden Globes)

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 02-25-2019 at 12:57 PM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Winners have used the stage to bring up important issues for decades, it's not a new development. I have respect for those who dare to speak up, using their platform to do good.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved the performance from Queen and Gaga and Cooper. Malek winning was awesome but most other stuff I didn't care for.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 PM
Absolute Fan

I completely disagree about speeches not being for important issues. You earned an award with hard work and dedication. You should be able to speak as you wish.

Spike Lee never mentioned names or told viewers who to vote for only that we side with love not hate come the next voting season. His doing so didn't take away from his joy of winning it just made it more powerful.
Russian Doll ∫ Atypical ∫ Flash ∫ Legends of Tomorrow ∫ Schitt's Creek ∫ Sex Education ∫ Degrassi ∫ Good Trouble ∫ Jane the Virgin ∫ The Good Place ∫ You ∫ The Affair ∫ 13 Reasons Why ∫ Stranger Things ∫ Handmaid's Tale ∫ Trinkets
@ Tumblr | @ Web *Icon by Static Waves
lasha4god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I completely disagree about speeches not being for important issues. You earned an award with hard work and dedication. You should be able to speak as you wish.
It's so rude of them to play them off or turn off the mic, I hated that.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
Winners have used the stage to bring up important issues for decades, it's not a new development. I have respect for those who dare to speak up, using their platform to do good.

Nice

There is an ununderstandable hate for Bohemian Rhapsody on Twiter that saddens me
Old 02-27-2019, 05:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Is it related to Bryan Singer?

Old 02-27-2019, 05:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

no, the movie itself, and towards Rami, too