Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Passion of the Christ has got me thinking..Will it be nominated under Best Picture as its an American production or Best Foreign film as the actors didn't recite in English?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LittleMilkJug
Passion of the Christ has got me thinking..Will it be nominated under Best Picture as its an American production or Best Foreign film as the actors didn't recite in English?
Probably my guess would be Best Picture, as it was filmed and released here as a major American picture, and also its director and lead actors are from this country.

But I'm not sure.
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:34 AM
Master Fan

Re: Who would you nominate for the Academy Awards?

Best Picture: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Best Actor In Lead Role: Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Best Actress In Lead Role: Uma Thurman, in Kill Bill Vol 2
Best Actor In Supporting Role: Tom Wilkinson, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Best Actress In Supporting Role: Mandy Moore, Saved

~Kim

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter

Last edited by k46; 10-29-2004 at 06:06 PM
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:57 AM
Master Fan

I think that Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind should get an Oscar, seriously. It was absolutely phenomenal. It was smart (without being grating), it had humor, its characterisation was amazing (and Jim Carrey should get an Oscar, it was the definitive performance of his career, and shows critics that he can act), and it made you think. After seeing a lot of crap in theatres, I think that for a show like this not to get nominated, and win, it'd be a travesty. Alright I'm biased cuz I didn't watch a lot of movies this year, but really it's good.

And for foreign film I'd nominate is Last Life In The Universe because it's another great film. It's another faucet of Asian cinema that isn't like Hero or other wuxiapian, or horror shows. You can't categorise it. It was cute, it's another thinking show, and it had wonderful cinematography I really hope that someone here has watched it (though I doubt it), it'd be so excellent to talk about this show with someone else at last. (Yes hardly anyone has watched it to date.)

I can't remember any other show that had such a lasting impact on me, but then again I didn't watch Troy or The Manchurian Candidate or Kill Bill, or any other show that has been mentioned so far.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:00 PM
Obsessed Fan

"wife, mother, criminal"

'vera drake' by the great english director and writer mike leigh....
imo it's the best performance by an actress, in a film, that's i've see this year.....hopefully imelda staunton will at least be nominated for this performance in the best actress category at this years academy awards........and go on to win that award......

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Addicted Fan

Eternal Sunshine all the way! LOVE that movie. SO much. I even liked Kirsten Dunst in it...a nearly impossible feat.

I would also nominate Peter Sarsgaard for his role in Garden State. As much as I love Zach Braff I wouldn't say he was Oscar-worthy. But for some reason I just thought Peter was great. I think Jeff Bridges was excellent in The Door in the Floor, too.

One thing I am positive of - I am SO thankful there will be no more LotR nominations. IMO the trilogy was highly, highly overrated and it made for an incredibly boring Oscar ceremony.

a little off topic...I really want to see Dig! I love the Dandy Warhols. The other band in it sounds interesting, too.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:34 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli
I really want to see Dig! I love the Dandy Warhols. The other band in it sounds interesting, too.

'dig!' is one of my favorite documentaries of the year.....surely deserving of an oscar in that category (see a prior post to this thread)....

after watching this film i was talking to some of my punker friends about this film.....they mentioned that anton newcombe, of the band the brian jonestown massacre, is from my home town, newport beach, california.....apparently they use to hang out with him at an old punk club called "the cukoo's nest" in costa mesa, california....sad to say that club no longer exists.....for lack of a better word anton is a bit of a psycho...brilliant musically, but prone to "nut-bagging"....
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 03:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by villette
Absolutely, no question. Jim Carrey was phenomenal; I bet it'll end up being the performance of his career. Even if it isn't completely appreciated now, it certainly will be many years down the road.

This movie is the film of the year. I've been steadfast with that opinion since I saw it in March, and I'll continue to stand by it until I'm proved otherwise.
I have to agree. I always thought that Jim Carrey is very good at exaggerating and not funny anyway. When I saw ESotSM I was blown away by how serious he could be. How different from what he usually is.
deeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Best Actor In Lead Role: Ethan Hawke in Before Sunset
Best Actress In Lead Role: Julie Delpy in Before Sunset

Honestly, AMAZING performances from both of them. Probably because both worked on the script a deal, they were so natural in their characters, with their mannerisms, hand gestures, way of talking, etc. It never felt like they were acting at all. I'm hoping one of them will be nominated, probably Julie Delpy because there is a lack of female contenders this year, although Ethan Hawke strongly deserves one as well.

--Summer

You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul. -Julie Jeanne Eleonore de Lespinasse
Summer Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:02 AM
Dedicated Fan

I agree with those that say Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should get nominated. It was a brilliant, phenomenal movie that deserves recognition by the Academy. However, I'm worried that it'll only get nominated for the screenplay. Don't get me wrong, that would be great, but it deserves more. I was very impressed with the performances. It's one of those movies where everyone in the cast stands out at one point.

I've been a fan of Jim Carrey's since Ace Venture, he's always been a comedic genius in my eyes, but this performance is his best (IMO). He captured the emotion, and the humor, to perfection.
jennyjo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Extreme Fan

Best Picture: The Passion of the Christ
Best Actor in a Lead Role: Jude Law, for any one of his movies out this year
Best Actress in a Lead Role: Natalie Portman in Garden State. She was simply captivating.
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Hugh Grant, Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: ?
Best Foreign Film: Jeux d'Enfants (Love Me If You Dare)
Old 11-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Elite Fan

I haven't seen all the "eligible" movies yet, so I don't know.

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

2019 Full Oscar Nominations (Video)

Old 01-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We already have a thread for the Oscar's. Merging this with that already existing thread.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I couldn't be happier with all the nominees. Spike Lee finally getting some love. Lady Gaga. Even A Quiet Place was nominated. Good times!
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread