Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Passionate Fan

I have just seen Oldboy... what a great movie, very disturbing, but fantastic
Old 03-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Fan

thats what my aunt said too, very disturbing. Lilith !

i'll get into finishing that, coz i stopped before. thing is, i am not in that depressing movie vibe so... in the meantime, poster for Old Boy...

however, i watched a korean movie called :

100 Days with Mr. Arrogant

a HS senior girl gets herself into trouble with an older college guy but kicking a soda can, having it land on his nose, and gets his lexus sportscar scratched. since she is only a student, she couldnt afford to pay the damage. hence, mr. arrogant (i never get his name as he is subtitled as p-r-i-c-k only) gives her an enslavement agreement for 100 days to pay off her debt.

there were some funny parts, but it was kind of off a bit. my copy wasnt good though, it was very clear but it kept on skipping towards the end. its a light comedy, and i think teens will appreciate it more...

and here's Beyond our ken :

Gillian Chung, Tao Hong and Daniel Wu star in this movie.

i liked this movie, kind of twisted and cool. i wouldnt say its a super favorite, but its not bad at all.

Synopsis and spoiler alert!

and this is a cool article regarding the hollywood remakes of asian films :

north jersey article

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ

Last edited by ***isy***; 03-05-2005 at 02:20 AM
Old 03-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
thats what my aunt said too, very disturbing. Lilith !
Well, it is
Oldboy is the kind of movie you won't forget anytime soon after seeing it
Old 03-05-2005, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Lilith - perhaps thats why i am holding back on watching it now, coz i just want light movies...

to know
me is to love me.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, I have to say I'm a sucker for angsty, depressing movies
So if your character is not close to these kind of films you better not watch it... it's pretty brutal and full of vivid torture scenes and some disgusting things...brrrr
I don't think I will see it again
Old 03-06-2005, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

i gotta find OldBoy.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Fan

lilith - its ok, i can take Old Boy. After watching Takeshi Miike movies, i believe nothing is quite impossible, storywise, anymore!

just happens i am not in an analytical/distubring movie mode. maybe soon, i kind of feel it coming.

Nobody Knows is being shown at Laemlles at Beverly Blvd...might watch it soon..

to know
me is to love me.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Master Fan

watched Lavender again last night and Lost and Found, finally. i still laugh at Eason being gay in the film and the way he pronounce his name, Chow-chow. and i really like the story of Lost and Found, except for the scene with lots of ducks. nways, Takeshi looks so young in the film coz of his hair.

i also watched Pls. Teach Me English tonight. so funny!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

quick post....late at night.....went video renting today....picked up a copy of 'ashes of time'....meant to look for 'fallen angels'...but forgot....also looked for 'oldboy' and 'swd'.....but i didn't have any luck with rentals...but as my mom use to say......the hunt is half the fun.........
Old 03-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Master Fan

ive seen Ashes of Time and Fallen Angels.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by je12_04
ive seen Ashes of Time and Fallen Angels.

i'm watching 'ashes.... on another computer, right now as i type.....not quite sure what to think of it yet.....and '....angels' i saw it in a theater a few years ago...just building up my library......

Last edited by mukooh; 03-08-2005 at 07:42 AM
Old 03-08-2005, 02:50 AM
Ultimate Fan

I haven't seen "Ashes of Time" yet. It was never released here. I'm hoping one day it will be released.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
just a little bump to the thread...haven't watched anything that really pertains to this thread in a while.....but i thought i'd contribute some movie posters that might be of interest to some.....

'the year of the yao'.....a documentary about a 7'6" chinese athelete playing professional basketball in the united states....

'smile'....a portion of this films proceeds go to operation smile........

a russian poster for 'itmfl'....taken from the extra disc......i like it alot because it looks almost art nouveau...
Thanks for the posters mukooh I am interested to watch Yao Ming's life. I think its fascinating. Smile seems a worthwhile watch as well. Plus you will be able to help at the same time.

I havent finished ITMFL but I hope to finish it soon. But so far so good!

I have a long list of movies to watch. I better start on them soon.

From the North Jersey article that Isy posted....

Quote:
"Personally, I think [remakes] are a good thing because it provides exposure for the original source material," says David Leong, news editor of Kung Fu Cult Cinema (kfccinema .com), a popular Asian film Web site. "But it's also a bad thing, because the remakes are rarely up to the standards of the originals. Some of the themes are denser in the original source, and they - Hollywood studios - tend to dumb them down. Character development is taken out or plot points are roughed over, and that's a sore point for a lot of fans who like Asian films."

Last edited by iluvpucca; 03-08-2005 at 03:52 PM
Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

have a question for the posters to this thread....are you post counts changing on this thread...something strange is going on....take a look at your posts and compare the post counts...mine aren't changing....or if they do...all of them change to the same number......
Old 03-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Master Fan

Mukooh, i haven't really noticed if my post number's changing. il take note of that from now on.

nways, i wanna see Smile. watched My Brother and He was Cool last night with my mom. MB's is one sad film and ul get to see a really bad ass Won Bin. he still looks younger than his age. HwC, on the other hand, reminded me of Meteor Garden, Taiwanese Series, in the first few minutes of the film. nways, i kinda liked SSH in that film. he fits the char. really well.