Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Master Fan

Isy, i just noticed ur av! aba!! nways, thanks for Initial D article. i hope to find a copy of that film here.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Elite Fan

Je, if you found a copy, tell me ha

av
Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Fan

je - i thought you wouldn't notice the av.

anyways, back to topic, i want to see A Bittersweet Life :

plot synopsis from yesasia.com:

From Kim Jee Woon, the director of such hits as The Quiet Family, The Foul King, and A Tale of Two Sisters, comes the stylish, ultraviolent gangster flick, A Bittersweet Life! Lee Byung Hun (Joint Security Area) stars as Sun Woo, a unique character with a curious lifestyle – he's not only a valued gang member and the proprietor of a hotel bar, but also the right-hand man to the powerful gang leader, Mr. Kang (Kim Yeong Chul). When Kang suspects that his beautiful young mistress Hee Soo (Sin Min Ah, from Volcano High) might be messing around with another man, he enlists Sun Woo's help to resolve the matter, commanding him to follow her around to see what information he can dig up. Sun Woo's orders are explicit: if he catches Hee Soo cheating, he is to execute her – no ifs ands or buts about it. However, when Sun Woo spies Hee Soo with her boyfriend, he makes a stunning decision, one that will have major consequences for all involved!

Although the hit film Crying Fist barely edged it out for the top spot at the box office, A Bittersweet Life is a success in its own right, hailed by critics as a dazzling neo-noir thriller, chocked full of breathtaking cinematography, intriguing characters, and an ample dosage of violence just for good measure. In addition, Lee Byung Hun is earning critical raves for his performance as Sun Woo, a super-cool hitman with motivations all his own. But in the end, will Sun Woo make it out alive? Find out in A Bittersweet Life, a film that highlights the shadowy underbelly of Korean society, a place where the streets are dark with something more than night.

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 07-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

found this today......i like this poster.....it's very nice, very simple and very beautiful.........

Old 07-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Fan

what a pretty poster!!!! i can't wait for that, although the talk here is that it may not do well coz americans aren't that accepting of a mixed, diverse cast. but whatever, i hope they exceed the critics/people's expectations, esp. since the book was well written....

to know
me is to love me.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:09 PM
Elite Fan

oh, i like that poster! it is so simple i wanna watch it

isy, a bitterweet life sounds interesting

av
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
je - i thought you wouldn't notice the av.

anyways, back to topic, i want to see A Bittersweet Life :

plot synopsis from yesasia.com:

From Kim Jee Woon, the director of such hits as The Quiet Family, The Foul King, and A Tale of Two Sisters, comes the stylish, ultraviolent gangster flick, A Bittersweet Life! Lee Byung Hun (Joint Security Area) stars as Sun Woo, a unique character with a curious lifestyle – he's not only a valued gang member and the proprietor of a hotel bar, but also the right-hand man to the powerful gang leader, Mr. Kang (Kim Yeong Chul). When Kang suspects that his beautiful young mistress Hee Soo (Sin Min Ah, from Volcano High) might be messing around with another man, he enlists Sun Woo's help to resolve the matter, commanding him to follow her around to see what information he can dig up. Sun Woo's orders are explicit: if he catches Hee Soo cheating, he is to execute her – no ifs ands or buts about it. However, when Sun Woo spies Hee Soo with her boyfriend, he makes a stunning decision, one that will have major consequences for all involved!

Although the hit film Crying Fist barely edged it out for the top spot at the box office, A Bittersweet Life is a success in its own right, hailed by critics as a dazzling neo-noir thriller, chocked full of breathtaking cinematography, intriguing characters, and an ample dosage of violence just for good measure. In addition, Lee Byung Hun is earning critical raves for his performance as Sun Woo, a super-cool hitman with motivations all his own. But in the end, will Sun Woo make it out alive? Find out in A Bittersweet Life, a film that highlights the shadowy underbelly of Korean society, a place where the streets are dark with something more than night.

I'll be checking this out. This looks really good actually. I really like the sound of that. Thanks for the info.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

a quick pass through the thread....i haven't seen anything in a theater that pertains to this thread....this is sort of kind of related to this thread.....a film about india...a miramax film.....one of the films the weinstein brothers had made during their tenure with that company...and one of the films being cleared from the shelves with their departure....

'the warrior'...

Set during an unspecified ancient time in the seldom-captured picturesque locales of India's northwestern desertland and the western Himalayas, Asif Kapadia's feature debut, "The Warrior," which sat on Miramax's overstocked shelves for close to four years, is a minimalist but strikingly beautiful tale of renounced violence told with uncommon precision and depth.

it starts friday at university 6 in irvine....at the 7:40 pm showing of the film on saturday night the producer of the film will be there to introduce the film and answer questions after it's over...
Old 07-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Fan

jthorton17 - you're welcome. my search for a copy of that film is futile though. still working on it...

mukooh - cool! i like that the producer will be there.... i missed that when kim ki duk came here for 3-iron - which i haven't seen still, but am trying to do in the next days or so...

to know
me is to love me.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Addicted Fan

filmcritic.com gave "Sigaw" aka The Echo 3.5 stars out of 5. I havent watched this film since I am not a big fan of horror films but some of you may be interested. Here is the review of the film. Caution there may be spoilers.

Sigaw

official website of Sigaw

Sigaw will be shown in the Screamfest International Film Festival in Los Angeles in October.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Elite Fan

Hi!

New thread approaching. I would appreciate somebody starting a new one.

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

wong kar wai article from the los angeles times....today's date 7-22-05.....
Old 07-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

speaking of wong kar wai.....

Two Weeks Only!
Starts Friday, August 5 at the Nuart Theatre

The story of Chow Mo Wan from In the Mood for Love continues. A few years after his ephemeral affair with Su Lizhen (Maggie Cheung), Chow (Tony Leung Chiu Wai) is now an out of work journalist and pulp fiction writer living in a cheap hotel. Bruised and battered by love, he pursues a playboy lifestyle of zero commitment and one-night stands. In the meantime, Chow works on a science fiction novel about a mysterious hi-tech train that transports people to the year 2046 to reclaim their lost memories. Ziyi Zhang, Faye Wong and Gong Li co-star. Winner of 5 Hong Kong Film Awards. Written and directed by Wong Kar Wai.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Elite Fan

Could somebody please start a new thread?

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Fan

NEW THREAD!!!

to know
me is to love me.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread