Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think at this point Marvel Studios could release a movie about a superhuman turd in a toilet and it would make $100 million opening weekend. That doesn't change the fact that Mar-Vell's legacy was tossed aside for nothing. Annette Benning's character wasn't even originally supposed to be Mar-Vell, she was supposed to be an A.I. for the Kree, they just tossed in the Mar-Vell thing at the last minute in the script. This is why Kevin Feige is a total dickhead. They should've just left Mar-Vell out altogether if they were going to do that. Making Benning's character Mar-Vell is totally inconsequential because she didn't display any powers and got shot through the chest really quickly. She has little connection to Carol Danvers and there is little reason for Carol to adopt the name "Marvel" just for that. Carol being Mar-Vell's lover and him mentoring her as he's dying of cancer makes a lot more sense as a storyline, with him passing the torch on to her(along with the Nega Bands) when he dies. That has more of an emotional payoff and poignancy. The only reason they did this dick move was for PC nonsense.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

in the Avengers movie universe (MCU 199999, not Earth 616), Carol is here to stay. right now, she is totally
Spoiler:

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 03-12-2019, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

I never liked the way Marvel comics built up Carol to be their flagship female hero this century. They had much better female characters in the X-Men who they neglected just because of their stupid spat with Fox.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
in the Avengers movie universe (MCU 199999, not Earth 616), Carol is here to stay. right now, she is totally
Spoiler:
I don't pay money to see earth 1999999 whatever. If I want an alternate reality story I'll read What If? or Elseworlds. When I see these characters on screen I expect to see an accurate reflection of who they are on the printed page, or else there's no point in even adapting them to the screen. Not to mention that you're only setting the MCU up to be rebooted at some later date when the current continuity loses relevance and someone else comes along who wants to tell the story differently like what the XCU is doing with Dark Phoenix. I said it before with Hank and Janet and I'll say it again with Carol... these stories work for a reason, and changing them eliminates the entire point of the story.

You yourself said that the human element of Captain Marvel gets lost in favor of the superhero stuff, and that's the problem. Carol's relationship with Mar-Vell and his dying of cancer IS the human element. The story here was changed because Marvel wasn't interested in telling a story, they were interested in making a message movie that was more about their politics than storytelling. Overpowering Carol with that Binary crap(which is supposed to be Shi'ar) only exacerbates the sloppiness of this type of message movie making. And what was the point of making Mar-Vell a woman when Benning's character turns out to be totally inconsequential? Feige even admitted that Mar-Vell was originally going to be a man, and that gender twist was slapped on at the last minute, which is what happens when movies are made by committee.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-12-2019 at 09:18 AM
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Elite Fan

March 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Disney has set a March 20 closing date for the acquisition of 21st Century Fox.
The date was included in a release in which Disney indicated that the company has received the last major approval for the deal from regulators in Mexico.
Quote:
Disney said the acquisition is expected to become effective at 12:02 a.m. Eastern Time on March 20, 2019.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/disney-...on-1202574146/
Old 03-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks, dragonfire. But that just means that the end is near. Feige is gonna destroy the entire Marvel Universe and the comics won't ever recover.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Thanks, dragonfire. But that just means that the end is near. Feige is gonna destroy the entire Marvel Universe and the comics won't ever recover.

Marvel Entertainment Group (the comics) has been doing the social justice themes in the main and new titles for nearly 15 years now, since 2003 when the writers group changed out en masse over a creative differences strike which was tied into the hollywood writers strike of 2003/04 coincidentally. Marvel Studios (the MCU) has nothing to do with the comic writers group, the only thing MEG and MS have in common, is their financial parent, the mouse house. it's like EA (Electronic Aoles) to Dice or Bioware games. Feige has produced $18Billion Dollars for the mouse in 10 years, to a $5.3Billion outlay, damn good returns there!

the MEG comics were in disarray and financial distress all on their own, long before the success of Feige's MCU. millennials are notorious for not financially supporting their social/activist causes, much less shelling out $2.95 for a 30-page comic with so-so art and a crappy story. ugh. they steal them online through pirate sites, if they even read them at all. MEG is once again on the edge of either Chapter 13 restructuring or Chapter 11 bankruptcy/consolidation. the mouse cannot rescue the comics if no one actually buys them. i was done after the spidey clone crap, dc new 52 reset, and the numerous resets of marvel since 2004. my thousands of comics are from the mid-1970s to Death of Supes destruction of comics by speculators in 1992-95. the entire comics world has never recovered from the death of supes debacle and the reset of 70 years of continuity by dc, and the numerous resets of marvel. Knightfall were the last comics i ever bought from a shopowner-dealer-scalper-speculator. they're all the same. smh.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not interested in 21st century comics myself.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree, sum1.

Let's be clear, the Marvel CEO himself admitted that Marvel Comics sales were slumping between 2015 and 2018, and he himself said that fans "didn't want anymore diversity." Now that was pure nonsense. What fans didn't want was classic characters replaced by new characters no one cared about and were only there for "diversity" and optics. No one wanted Steve Rogers replaced by Sam Wilson, or Tony Stark replaced by Ri Ri Williams. And don't get me started on Miles Morales, a character only created because actor Donald Glover threw a social justice tantrum.

As far as the MCU goes, while Marvel Comics seems to be getting back to basics with Fresh Start, the MCU seems to still be going the political correctness route, mostly because it's Hollywood. What was the point of taking Mar-Vell completely out of Carol's story? Oh, we can't have a movie where power is transferred from a man to a woman. That wouldn't be right. Female empowerment can't be dependent on a man. Hello? Anyone ever heard of A Star Is Born? Not to mention that they're also keeping Adam Warlock out of the Thanos storyline to make Carol more central to Thanos' defeat, which didn't happen in the comics. Heaven forbid we give Adam his due either.

Politics ruins both storytelling and cinema, especially comic books. As Neil Simon wrote, "once you start to compromise your thoughts, you're a candidate for mediocrity."
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Adam Warlock is being kept in the Guardians side of the universe. he is hinted at in both GOTG and GOTG2, and his sarcophagus is seen cracked open in the end credit scene in one of the films. previous to James Gunn's firing, he said in an interview, that AW would be a central anti-hero of the GOTG world, and a foil/partner of sorts, to the coming of Nova.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I've heard that Marvel comics sales were bouncing back late last year.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I've heard that Marvel comics sales were bouncing back late last year.
They have, sum1, once Fresh Start began and Marvel brought back the heroes fans are looking for. Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, and even the Fantastic Four are back.

Adam Warlock has still been cut out of his rightful place in the Thanos storyline, for no reason other than Hollywood's PC bull. They need to keep their damn ideology out of these movies and stick to the source material. Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne, Mar-Vell, and Adam Warlock have all suffered due to Hollywood and Kevin Feige's incompetent bull. I dread thinking what they're gonna do with X-Men and Fantastic Four. Josh Trank and Bryan Singer did enough damage.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Josh Trank. He screwed up the FF so bad.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Trank should never have been given Fantastic Four in the first place. But I'm still afraid that the MCU is gonna try and pick up where he left off.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

James Gunn has been reinstated for GOTG Mixtape Volume 3!