View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 AM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen's Herald (View Post)
in the Avengers movie universe (MCU 199999, not Earth 616), Carol is here to stay. right now, she is totally
Spoiler:
I don't pay money to see earth 1999999 whatever. If I want an alternate reality story I'll read What If? or Elseworlds. When I see these characters on screen I expect to see an accurate reflection of who they are on the printed page, or else there's no point in even adapting them to the screen. Not to mention that you're only setting the MCU up to be rebooted at some later date when the current continuity loses relevance and someone else comes along who wants to tell the story differently like what the XCU is doing with Dark Phoenix. I said it before with Hank and Janet and I'll say it again with Carol... these stories work for a reason, and changing them eliminates the entire point of the story.

You yourself said that the human element of Captain Marvel gets lost in favor of the superhero stuff, and that's the problem. Carol's relationship with Mar-Vell and his dying of cancer IS the human element. The story here was changed because Marvel wasn't interested in telling a story, they were interested in making a message movie that was more about their politics than storytelling. Overpowering Carol with that Binary crap(which is supposed to be Shi'ar) only exacerbates the sloppiness of this type of message movie making. And what was the point of making Mar-Vell a woman when Benning's character turns out to be totally inconsequential? Feige even admitted that Mar-Vell was originally going to be a man, and that gender twist was slapped on at the last minute, which is what happens when movies are made by committee.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 03-12-2019 at 09:18 AM