Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 07-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't think that Amazing Spider-Man got restarted back to #1 until right after Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man ended its run, and Superior began just after the publication of Amazing Spider-Man #700, Dying Wish, the one where Doctor Octopus switched bodies with Peter and Octupus' body died just as Peter managed to download his mind back into his body with Octopus still in control. God, that storyline sucked. I got into a really heated argument with Dan Slott on YouTube about that. I don't know if he still has a YouTube account or channel. #700 was the last Amazing issue to be published. But after Superior Spider-Man ended, Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 began with issue #1.

Yeah, I know the individual character titles count as X-Books, but I was specifically referring to the team titles, not the individual characters. And the point I was making is that the titles still began dropping like flies near the end of the 90's. When I was growing up those titles lasted for decades, like Amazing and Spectacular, but in the 1990's titles would come and go. I remember when Web of Spider-Man came out, which was kind of okay, but it wasn't as unique as Marvel Team-Up, which it replaced. And the self-titles Spider-Man didn't even make it past a decade. Same with the X-Men self title. New X-Men I believe was mostly due to the movie coming out, which I hated. But my point was that I think they just had one too many titles and they mostly ended up getting cancelled. Oh, and is Uncanny X-Men still around?

Dark Horse Comics was one of the "alternative" comic titles outside of Marvel and DC, Sarah. They got the rights to Star Wars in the early 90's after Marvel lost the rights in the late 80's and ended their Star Wars title. But in the 80's Dark Horse was mostly known for its cinematic-based titles, like Aliens, The Terminator, Robocop, Predator, Aliens vs. Predator, Robocop vs. Terminator, etc.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I don't think that Amazing Spider-Man got restarted back to #1 until right after Dan Slott's Superior Spider-Man ended its run, and Superior began just after the publication of Amazing Spider-Man #700, Dying Wish,
Amazing Spider Man went back to #1 in 1999 after Amazing Spider Man 441. See here: The Amazing Spider-Man (1999) - Comic Book DB
Quote:
The Amazing Spider-Man (1999)
Search for 'The Amazing Spider-Man' on eBay

Publisher: Marvel

Publication Date: January 1999 - November 2003

Language: English

Awards:
2002 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards - Winner - Best Serialized Story: (#30-35 "Coming Home")

Title Continuity:
The Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #1 continues from The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #441
The Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #58 continues to The Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #500

Quote:
But after Superior Spider-Man ended, Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 began with issue #1.
That was Volume 3.

Quote:
Yeah, I know the individual character titles count as X-Books, but I was specifically referring to the team titles, not the individual characters. And the point I was making is that the titles still began dropping like flies near the end of the 90's. When I was growing up those titles lasted for decades, like Amazing and Spectacular, but in the 1990's titles would come and go. I remember when Web of Spider-Man came out, which was kind of okay, but it wasn't as unique as Marvel Team-Up, which it replaced. And the self-titles Spider-Man didn't even make it past a decade. Same with the X-Men self title. New X-Men I believe was mostly due to the movie coming out, which I hated. But my point was that I think they just had one too many titles and they mostly ended up getting cancelled.
The "X-Men" title lasted almost a decade and New X-Men was basically just a continuation of it under a different name. Titles have continued to get cancelled and started rapidly since the '90s. It wasn't just a '90s thing.

Quote:
Oh, and is Uncanny X-Men still around?
That title has stopped and restarted so many times that I don't know.

Quote:
Dark Horse Comics was one of the "alternative" comic titles outside of Marvel and DC, Sarah. They got the rights to Star Wars in the early 90's after Marvel lost the rights in the late 80's and ended their Star Wars title. But in the 80's Dark Horse was mostly known for its cinematic-based titles, like Aliens, The Terminator, Robocop, Predator, Aliens vs. Predator, Robocop vs. Terminator, etc.
They also did Sin City and Hellboy.

Last edited by sum1; 07-07-2017 at 02:45 AM
Old 07-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So much to though later cause trying to diffuse a headache
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Amazing Spider Man went back to #1 in 1999 after Amazing Spider Man 441. See here: The Amazing Spider-Man (1999) - Comic Book DB

That was Volume 3.
Ahem, well... technically that "back to #1" thing didn't last long. Yes, Amazing ended at issue #441 in 1999 and then went back to #1 which began Amazing Volume 2. But... Volume 2 didn't last long; only 58 issues from January 1999 to December 2003, when J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita, Jr. were writing. After 2003, Amazing went right back to Volume 1, and December 2003-January 2004 the story continued in Amazing Spider-Man #500, which added and absorbed the 58 issues of Volume 2, which is why Volume 1 continued with issue #500 instead of #442. Volume 1 officially ended in December 2012 with Amazing Spider-Man #700, Dying Wish, and then went to #1 in April 2014, although you are correct in that it was now Volume 3. Volume 3 ended in August 2015, and we're now in Volume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
The "X-Men" title lasted almost a decade and New X-Men was basically just a continuation of it under a different name. Titles have continued to get cancelled and started rapidly since the '90s. It wasn't just a '90s thing. That title has stopped and restarted so many times that I don't know.
Yeah, but my point is that X-Men still didn't last as long as "Uncanny" which had been in publication for as long as I've been alive. Like the self titled Spider-Man, it didn't outlast the 90's. I don't consider New X-Men to be the same comic considering it was yet another example of Marvel changing things around to align with Hollywood movie adaptations. New X-Men even had Xavier making apologetic excuses as to why everyone now dressed in Matrix-inspired outfits to correspond with the Fox movies, saying that the reason they used to dress like superheroes such as The Avengers and Fantastic Four is because he wanted to present the team in a way that "the public would understand and accept." Oh, please. No wonder New X-Men didn't last long.

But anyway, the point I was making is that titles had more longevity, but in the 90's they just started failing, like Marvel really didn't know what they were doing. Their bankruptcy was part of it.

Yeah, I knew about Sin City. I didn't think of it, though. The movie was good, but not a fan of the series.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll try to all this later
Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by we are not alone (View Post)
I'll try to all this later
Okay. Sorry, Sarah.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes when you guys get going sometimes can talk alot
Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Ahem, well... technically that "back to #1" thing didn't last long. Yes, Amazing ended at issue #441 in 1999 and then went back to #1 which began Amazing Volume 2. But... Volume 2 didn't last long; only 58 issues from January 1999 to December 2003,-
Nearly 5 years. That's a fairly long time by comic book standards. Many titles don't last that long.

Quote:
Volume 2 didn't last long; only 58 issues from January 1999 to December 2003, when J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita, Jr. were writing. After 2003, Amazing went right back to Volume 1, and December 2003-January 2004 the story continued in Amazing Spider-Man #500, which added and absorbed the 58 issues of Volume 2, which is why Volume 1 continued with issue #500 instead of #442.
Yeah, I know about that. 500 was in the middle of the Happy Birthday storyline. Classic example of JRJR's art in decline. Too cartoonish.

Quote:
Yeah, but my point is that X-Men still didn't last as long as "Uncanny" which had been in publication for as long as I've been alive. Like the self titled Spider-Man, it didn't outlast the 90's. I don't consider New X-Men to be the same comic considering it was yet another example of Marvel changing things around to align with Hollywood movie adaptations.
No matter what you consider it to be, the fact is that New X-Men WAS the continuation of X-Men, even down to the numbering. So yeah, the "X-Men" title DID survive the '90s. in fact, even before New X-Men started "X-Men" got past the '90s. The last issue of X-Men before New X-Men was 113, June 2001. Sure things changed with New X-Men, but change doesn't mean something's not a continuation of what went before.

Quote:
New X-Men even had Xavier making apologetic excuses as to why everyone now dressed in Matrix-inspired outfits to correspond with the Fox movies, saying that the reason they used to dress like superheroes such as The Avengers and Fantastic Four is because he wanted to present the team in a way that "the public would understand and accept." Oh, please. No wonder New X-Men didn't last long.
I've got to wonder what you were doing reading that. The X-Men titles had already turned to crap as far back as 1998 and seeing as the late '90s Marvel trends tended to just get worse in the 21st century, I can't see how New X-Men would have been any good. You'd have been better off spendng the money on the X-Men back-issues you missed, like the mid '80s ones.

Quote:
But anyway, the point I was making is that titles had more longevity, but in the 90's they just started failing, like Marvel really didn't know what they were doing. Their bankruptcy was part of it.
The point is it wasn't just a '90s phenomenon. It's gone on ever since. It's normal in the comics industry now.

Quote:
Yeah, I knew about Sin City. I didn't think of it, though. The movie was good, but not a fan of the series.
Did you see the 2nd one, with Eva Green?

Last edited by sum1; 07-09-2017 at 11:36 AM
Old 07-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Speaking Sin City I've only seen original -- need to see the 2nd
Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, nearly five years since a comic book comes out once a month, so 58 issues is 58 months. But again, they just ended up going right back to volume 1 and absorbing those volume 2 issues to volume 1. I remember volume 2 now. It had that weird new font lettering in the title, where the "Spider-Man" looked all jagged, like spider legs or something. They obviously thought that might've looked a bit too angry because they went back to the classic curved title.

Yeah, but New X-Men just didn't feel the same. It felt like it was both catering to the Fox movies and attempting to course change from the 80's and 90's, and you know what I mean by that. As for what I was doing reading that... I was curious as to how the movies would affect the characters and I was rather disappointed. I was hoping that the comics would compensate for the horrible treatment Cyclops got in the films, but they only made things worse.

And I didn't miss the X-Men entirely in the 80's, I was just more into X-Factor, that's all. It was Marvel getting the old band back together, the five original X-Men in their own separate title. I loved it while it lasted, but then when the 80's ended they integrated the five back into the X-Men and handed X-Factor to new characters. And as I said, I only collected comics from the 70's, 80's, and into the 90's, but by 1993 I could no longer afford to buy them and I had to stop. I read sporadically what I could from time to time. But my father's bankruptcy and my family being scattered really put a dent in what I used to be able to do. And it just seemed like the 90's is when Marvel really ran into a rut more so than the previous decades when they were king of the comics industry.

This was the comic that really did it for me. Amazing Spider-Man #252, when Peter first got the black and white outfit. I had been away from comics for a couple of years once the 80's began due to my parents' divorce and things got a bit ugly. I was really depressed and this comic came out at just the right time in May of 1984. It got me back into collecting comics and I was addicted to all kinds of comics from that moment until the end of the decade.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

That black and white costume is nostalgic for me. Pity it turned out to be an evil alien symbiote. Never liked Venom and Carnage.

The original X-Men team isn't really my thing. I like them, but I don't find them terribly interesting. They're a bit too normal. X-Factor with them was a little bland for me. The second X-Factor team didn't interest me much either, but Peter David's writing made up for that. And there was a time when Jae Lee was working on the book, which was great. I hated it when Jan Duursema took over the art.

Btw, my sympathy over your family troubles, even though they're obviously long in the past.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

More and more to read
Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Reading is good for the soul.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes