Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2017, 03:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Glad you still appreciate his art
Old 07-02-2017, 04:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

The whole comic medium has taken a nose dive in quality. I remember when I was trying to read Star Wars Dark Horse comics some years back. Some of them had some merit, but they tended to have this affectation and pomposity which Marvel comics from the old days didn't have. Now Marvel comics have it. Dark Horse had it earlier (back in the '90s), but now it seems to be universal in the field. Marvel comics back in the day didn't have a big idea of themselves.

So the general mentality of comics has gone downhill, taking the art quality with it. But even then a great artist can still shine, even if not s brightly as they did back when comics were good.

Last edited by sum1; 07-02-2017 at 05:47 AM
Old 07-02-2017, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I remember four Spider-Man titles in the 90's - The Amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man(which replaced the old Marvel Team-Up Spider-Man title), and the self-titled Spider-Man comic created by Todd McFarlane. I don't remember any others, sum1. As for X-Men, I remember Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, X-Force, and Jim Lee's X-Men title. Excalibur was the British team, and they also had New Mutants, but those were separate from X-Men. But I do remember that Marvel had a whole lot of titles that failed in the 90's, sum1. I actually bought the Midnight Sons comics that were spinoffs of Ghost Rider, but lost interest quickly. Now it may not have been the only reason, but it had to have been one of them. Marvel had really expanded their titles throughout the 80's to the point that by the 90's they had really oversaturated themselves, and I think a lot of readers turned away at that point. No one needed to buy that many titles, especially with comic prices constantly going up.

I actually loved the old Marvel Star Wars comics, sum1. They were a lot of fun, and I actually think they improved on a lot of stuff that Lucas did.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.
That's funny you say that because I think Disney/Marvel came out with Spider-Man comics books with those titles. Really now these days it isn't Marvel comics but more like Disney's Marvel comics. Same with Star Wars it's no longer Star Wars it's Disney Star Wars.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I remember four Spider-Man titles in the 90's - The Amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man(which replaced the old Marvel Team-Up Spider-Man title), and the self-titled Spider-Man comic created by Todd McFarlane. I don't remember any others, sum1.
Sensational Spider Man, Spider Man Unlimited, Untold Tales of Spider-Man, The Green Goblin, etc.

Quote:
As for X-Men, I remember Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, X-Force, and Jim Lee's X-Men title. Excalibur was the British team, and they also had New Mutants, but those were separate from X-Men.
Generation X, Cable, Deadpool, Wolverine, The X-Man, Maverick, etc. And "Jim Lee's X-Men title" didn't remain Jim Lee's for very long. New Mutants was replaced by X-Force. And most of those titles weren't so very separate from the X-Men. There were crossovers throughout most of them every year.

Quote:
But I do remember that Marvel had a whole lot of titles that failed in the 90's, sum1.
That was true of any decade. Back in the sixties, the original Hulk title was cancelled after a few issues.

Quote:
I actually bought the Midnight Sons comics that were spinoffs of Ghost Rider, but lost interest quickly. Now it may not have been the only reason, but it had to have been one of them. Marvel had really expanded their titles throughout the 80's to the point that by the 90's they had really oversaturated themselves, and I think a lot of readers turned away at that point. No one needed to buy that many titles, especially with comic prices constantly going up.
A lot of readers did buy "that many titles" -so many readers bought the whole X-Men lineup every month for years, for example. And if you mean buying the whole Marvel lineup, nobody was supposed to. People were expected to pick and choose what they liked, specialize in certain areas like Spider Man or X-Men or whatever.

Quote:
I actually loved the old Marvel Star Wars comics, sum1. They were a lot of fun, and I actually think they improved on a lot of stuff that Lucas did.
I liked them too. I wasn't talking about them, but rather about the Dark Horse ones, which were crap. The only good thing Dark horse ever did was reprint the old Conan Marvel comics, but they couldn't do that right either, recolouring them in a modern style and leaving the covers out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
That's funny you say that because I think Disney/Marvel came out with Spider-Man comics books with those titles.
Of course they did. They were imitating the old Marvel stuff, which is what's always done.

Quote:
Really now these days it isn't Marvel comics but more like Disney's Marvel comics. Same with Star Wars it's no longer Star Wars it's Disney Star Wars.
They've ruined Star Wars, but Marvel Comics was going wrong long before Disney got hold of it. Since about 1998, to be precise.

Last edited by sum1; 07-03-2017 at 05:34 AM
Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

So long 1998
Old 07-03-2017, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Not really. Only 19 years. Marvel's been going for 56 years.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow 50 plus years
Old 07-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Sensational Spider Man, Spider Man Unlimited, Untold Tales of Spider-Man, The Green Goblin, etc.

Generation X, Cable, Deadpool, Wolverine, The X-Man, Maverick, etc. And "Jim Lee's X-Men title" didn't remain Jim Lee's for very long. New Mutants was replaced by X-Force. And most of those titles weren't so very separate from the X-Men. There were crossovers throughout most of them every year.
I think some of those Spider-Man titles were replacements, sum1. I remember(because I was collecting them) that when the 90's began, there was Amazing, Spectacular, Web, and the self-titled Spider-Man comic. But the self-titled Spider-Man ended a few years after Todd McFarlane left to co-found Image Comics, and Web of Spider-Man also got cancelled. I remember Sensational, but that was later on in the late 90's and that also got cancelled. Spectacular got cancelled in the early 2000's if I'm not mistaken. There was even an "Avenging" Spider-Man, but that also didn't last long. Amazing is the only title left, so the titles began dropping like flies.

Well, I'll give you Generation X because I totally forgot about that, but I don't count the stand alone character titles like Deadpool, Wolverine, Cable, or X-Man because those are separate from the team dynamic titles. And I'm aware that the stand alone X-Men title didn't remain Lee's for long because he also left Marvel to co-found Image Comics along with McFarlane. But his stand alone title also got cancelled, and Uncanny was the only one left. I don't know if X-Factor is still around either. But what I do remember is that from the late 80's going into the 90's Marvel just started cranking out titles all over the place, and while initial interest may have driven production at the start, that interest waned and a lot of those titles got cancelled. Marvel was struggling in the 90's for a while. Sure, all those titles gave fans freedom to pick and choose, but with prices rising it just wasn't convenient to go out and buy four Spider titles or five X-titles anymore. You had to buy all of the titles to follow the crossover storylines, and to keep up on the continuity, and it just got to be a bit too much after a while, especially after the recession of 1991.

Hmmm.... now that Disney owns Star Wars, perhaps Marvel will get the rights to the comics back from Dark Horse?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Dark Horse?
Old 07-05-2017, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I think some of those Spider-Man titles were replacements, sum1. I remember(because I was collecting them) that when the 90's began, there was Amazing, Spectacular, Web, and the self-titled Spider-Man comic. But the self-titled Spider-Man ended a few years after Todd McFarlane left to co-found Image Comics,
The "Spider Man" comic kept going many years after McFarlane left (he left in 1991). That was the one Romita Jr drew and I followed (for JRJR's art). It didn't end until late '98 when all the current Spider Man titles were cancelled replaced with the new version of Amazing Spider Man and Peter Parker: Spider Man, which was the new version of "Spider Man" and was drawn by JRJR. That change was John Byrne's idea and he was writer and penciler of the new Amazing. Howard Mackie wrote "Spider Man" for years through the '90s, with JRJR pencilling, long after McFarlane left.

Quote:
and Web of Spider-Man also got cancelled. I remember Sensational, but that was later on in the late 90's and that also got cancelled. Spectacular got cancelled in the early 2000's if I'm not mistaken. There was even an "Avenging" Spider-Man, but that also didn't last long. Amazing is the only title left, so the titles began dropping like flies.
Amazing got restarted, back to # 1. Later it went back to its normal numbering sequence.

Quote:
Well, I'll give you Generation X because I totally forgot about that, but I don't count the stand alone character titles like Deadpool, Wolverine, Cable, or X-Man because those are separate from the team dynamic titles.
They were officially counted as X-books and were included in the X-crossovers.

Quote:
And I'm aware that the stand alone X-Men title didn't remain Lee's for long because he also left Marvel to co-found Image Comics along with McFarlane. But his stand alone title also got cancelled, and Uncanny was the only one left.
"X-Men" kept up right through the '90s and didn't get cancelled until 2001 and then it was brought back as New X-Men. X-Men 113 went right to New X-Men 114.

Quote:
I don't know if X-Factor is still around either.
X-Factor ended in 1998 and was brought back in 2010. I think it's been cancelled since then. Excalibur ended in 1998 too.

Quote:
Sure, all those titles gave fans freedom to pick and choose, but with prices rising it just wasn't convenient to go out and buy four Spider titles or five X-titles anymore. You had to buy all of the titles to follow the crossover storylines, and to keep up on the continuity, and it just got to be a bit too much after a while, especially after the recession of 1991.
I don't agree. Many people followed just the Spider Man titles or just the X-books. And buying crossovers was optional. I didn't, except for the X-crossovers, which just involved comics I was buying anyway.

Quote:
Hmmm.... now that Disney owns Star Wars, perhaps Marvel will get the rights to the comics back from Dark Horse?
They got the rights back and they've been producing new Star Wars Marvel comics for a while now. Not that they're any good.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by we are not alone (View Post)
Dark Horse?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Horse_Comics
Old 07-06-2017, 03:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks again for the link

So would Dark Horse but something like DC's Vertigo? secondary smaller branch

Still thinking of doing the cartoons been thinking for a bit but went back to Star Wars cartoons again
Old 07-06-2017, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Its greatly appreciated