Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Master Fan

Colin Media #2: The camera loves Colin!

Discuss! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

If anyone has a good thread title, let me know.

[ 03-26-2003: Message edited Fehrocious ]
Old 03-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

Howabout 'Colin Media #2: The camera loves Colin!'

Just a suggestion... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 03:19 PM
Master Fan

Sounds good to me!
Old 03-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'll start it off with yet another article about Colin's latest news (piture from maryp's website)

Old 03-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks for posting that photo of the two. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And thanks Lena for startin up the new thread!
Old 03-27-2003, 01:45 PM
Master Fan

My pleasure. I got that copy of US Magazine in the mail a few days ago. They have Colin every week. :evil grin:
Old 03-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

He likes his mischief, but his acting is serious
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

A classic Oscar moment blipped by barely noticed this week. The well-lubricated lifestyle of Colin Farrell, the swift-rising and hard-drinking Irish actor who has a Velcro touch with the ladies, became a national joke.

The party boy, who introduced best-song nominees and fellow countrymen U2, was described by host Steve Martin as having talent, looks, charm and success. Then came the jab: "Next stop, rehab."

Farrell, to his credit, had a rejoinder at the ready: "I was going to say, 'Steve, you don't know how close to the truth you are,' but that would be a lie."

Yep, his rep is laughable. But when it comes to his career, Farrell is sitting as pretty as he appears on the screen.

Already this year, the Dublin-based heartthrob who has been "the next big thing" ever since his praised but little-seen performance as a cocky Texas soldier in 2000's Tigerland has tucked two No. 1 box office hits under his belt: CIA thriller The Recruit and superhero adventure Daredevil.

He held his own opposite a scenery-sucking Al Pacino as a hero in the first. He pulled the rug from under a dour Ben Affleck with his mad-leprechaun of a villain in the second. And the 26-year-old charmer with the triple-espresso-hued eyes and dangerous stubble is about one Hollywood action flick (or perhaps two) away from finally being big enough to fill his hype-stretched britches.

"Every guy wants to be him and every girl just goes gaga," Daredevil director Mark Steven Johnson says. "He's a total movie star."

Almost.

Phone Booth, opening next Friday and directed by Farrell's Tigerland mentor Joel Schumacher, could push him to the next level. It was delayed last fall when the film's plot cut too close to the real-life Washington, D.C.-area sniper attacks. But with Farrell's heat now on high, the date switch is a plus.

As Stu, a slimy two-bit Manhattan publicist forced to pay for his sins of spin by a moralistic gunman, Farrell unleashes a sweaty torrent of Bronx-accented emotions — all while stuck in a phone booth as his tormenter forces him to stay on the line. He describes his showbiz hustler in typical blunt fashion, in an expletive-lumpy brogue that sometimes sounds as if he's gargling with Irish oatmeal: "He's the kind of (jerk) I could turn into. But I'm not going to."

Kiefer Sutherland, who injects mellifluous menace into the unseen serial killer's voice, admires Farrell's guts in taking a challenge rejected by Mel Gibson and Will Smith. "If someone had sent me the script, I don't know if I would have taken it," he says. "What a bold move to take that on. This is such a courageous performance."

Schumacher expresses paternal pride: "I don't know too many actors who could stand in a phone booth for 10 days and do this performance. He's an amazing talent."

Next up is S.W.A.T., the summer cop thriller with Samuel L. Jackson that put $8 million in Farrell's pocket. "Mad, (expletive) mad" is his response to the vast wad of cash he has yet to spend or invest.

Then there's his stab at a Gladiator-bulky epic. In July, he joins filmmaker Oliver Stone on Alexander, a biopic about the young Macedonian king who conquered the world as well as lovers of both sexes. With second-unit shooting underway, the film is likely to reach theaters before Leonardo DiCaprio's rival Alexander movie.

All that stands between Farrell and superstardom, it seems, is ... himself.

While waiting for that one monster breakout, he has been amassing legendary status as a guy rarely seen without a beer in his hand, a Camel Light in his mouth and a babe on his arm. Says Schumacher, "He's like somebody on spring break all the time."

As early as last September, during the initial publicity go-round with Phone Booth, the crew of TV's Access Hollywood greeted Farrell with a trayful of Bloody Marys. At 11 in the morning.

In February, he showed up for The Recruit premiere with pop princess Britney Spears at his side. It was as if a lit Roman candle were tossed onto the red carpet. Schumacher suspects he was creating "mischief," though Farrell denies knowing he and his date would create such a stir. Of course, "As soon as I stepped out of the car I did. I am such a (expletive) idiot."

Colleagues are fond of Farrell. Pacino: "He likes to have a good time. But he also gives a good time." Recruit director Roger Donaldson: "He is incredibly charming and considerate and never parties at anyone else's expense."

While doing a play in Dublin, Susan Sarandon let teen daughter Eva hang with Farrell while he introduced her to the city's nightlife. That's a trusting, and liberal, mom.

Besides, Daredevil's Johnson says his 8-year-old son, Jack, loves when Farrell drops by. That's because the boy has a house rule: He gets a dollar whenever anyone curses. "Colin flipped him a twenty the last time and said, 'Let's just get it out of the way.' "

Still, Farrell's public acting-up threatens to overshadow his increasingly solid acting credentials. Interviews labeled "Have You Had Sex With Colin Farrell Yet?" devolve into barhopping jaunts or gynecological dissertations.

When it comes to relationships, he says, "I've been in love three times in my life. I would never fall in love with someone who was after me image. But if someone was into me image, and I'm (expletive) horny and I want a shag? Why not? I'm a young fellow who's enjoying life. Would I have casual sex? Yes."

It came as a shock to no one, then, when it was revealed a couple weeks ago that model Kim Bordenave is carrying his baby.

Yes, Farrell's disdain for political correctness refreshes. But being famous is not the same as being infamous. One earns you respect. The other gathers tawdry tabloid headlines and wink-wink rumors of dalliances with such comely consorts as Demi Moore and Kate Beckinsale. "Not true, not true," the randy rogue protests. "If I was having the sex I'm supposed to be having, I'd be a happy man."

He seems pretty happy.

Schumacher sticks up for his buddy. "They have to write about something. Russell Crowe punches people, Colin carouses. But he's just an ordinary pub lad."

Farrell tries to divorce himself from the Hollywood hooey by going home to Dublin between gigs. Yet, his escapades continue there. "It's (expletive) bananas when I get home," he says. "I have to get back to work to get a (expletive) rest."

Farrell found time for a quickie marriage, a four-month union to actress Amelia Warner. He has her nickname, "Millie," tattooed on his ring finger. "Carpe diem" is scrawled on a forearm. That almost perfectly describes the split in his personality — commitment or seize-the-day carelessness.

Schumacher concedes that Farrell's managers often hold their breaths before their client speaks. "Lots of people wish Colin would shut his mouth. He can't be controlled."

That might be changing. A phone chat last week revealed less of a playboy-of-the-Western-world attitude than six months ago. Pending paternity can do that.

He says about the baby that is due in six months and whose sex is still unknown, "I can't wait." But when asked whether he is ready for fatherhood, he replies, "I don't know about that."

But Farrell goes on the defensive about any questions concerning his relationship with the mother of his child, who was his companion at the Oscars: "I'm not getting into that," though he later told reporters at the Vanity Fair soiree that they aren't dating.

He also gets riled over critics who say his off-hours behavior makes him look like more of an Irish cliché than a green shillelagh. "It's true as a nation we are people who get very (expletive) drunk and enjoy it. Anyone who doesn't think that is true can (expletive) right off."

OK, he hasn't totally censored himself.

The kid may be a boozer, but he does have saving graces. For one, he values his profession. "I don't take myself seriously," he says. "I take the work seriously."

To the Irish, Schumacher says, acting is sacred. "They don't fool around. Acting to them means theater. It comes from a fantastic tradition of playwrights and theater."

Farrell also is tight with his family. "The only other person I know who's that close to his family is Tom Cruise," Donaldson says. "He makes sure they're part of his life."

His one splurge purchase was for his mother, Rita: a Mercedes convertible. She often travels with him along with older sis Claudine, who's on his payroll. But not as a chaperone, he insists. "We're mates," Farrell says. "I don't need her to keep my feet on the ground."

Farrell is taking a break from commercial fare to sharpen his skills. He's about to head to Toronto to do A Home at the End of the World, based on a novel by Michael Cunningham (The Hours). He calls the story of an unusual love triangle "flawless, really beautiful."

Pacino, a former "next big thing," has faith that Farrell is no flash. "He has much to do, and I hope he chooses wisely. He's got it, that kind of staying power. That command. That will take you far."

Or as a grateful Farrell says, "I'm in this position and it's wonderful. If I'm not going to (expletive) enjoy it, then give it to someone else."
Old 03-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Sizing up this daredevil

Evidence to the contrary, Colin Farrell says, "I adore women. I respect them. I have two sisters and a mother."

As anyone who caught his recent Playboy exposé knows, the Irish rascal also has a laundry list of liaisons from here to Connemara. How a pair of female sex columnists rate Farrell, both as sex symbol and rising star.

Amy Sohn, New York magazine writer, author of Run Catch Kiss

Pro: "He is the genuine article; a trouble-making, rabble-rousing, sex-loving, party-hearty Irishman. It's high time we had a celeb who cursed on TV, made out with Britney and Demi within the same week and took his mom as his date to a premiere. But let's remember that the guy's 26! We should cut him some slack. The four years' difference between him and Ben Affleck are significant. They are the four years it will take to get his image under control."

Con: "He was overhyped before he was a proven entity, which will only create more trouble for him in the long run. He will crash and burn in two years tops. Or be demoted to B or C list, but nonetheless not be a bankable star."

Anna Scheelin, Boston College student and writerfor The Heights, an independent student newspaper

Pro: "The consensus among women is that he's quite yummy. And despite the fact he doesn't seem to have anything fantastic to say, there's something about the accent that elicits this 'take me now'-like response from most women I know. As piece-of-meat men go, he's definitely grade A. As an actor, I'd say he's about average."

Con: "I'll give him credit for not letting the media dictate his behavior, but I won't give him credit for not moderating it himself. The foul language reflects poorly on him. It implies he doesn't know how to express himself without it. When it comes to booze and women, my sense is that he's just more obvious about that than most people, which is preferable to ushering a hooker in the back door."
Old 03-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Loyal Fan

I don't know if this info is useful to everyone, but Colin's Leno appearance is reairing tonight! It airs after Carson I believe (very very late at night)
Old 03-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Addicted Fan

Out of nowhere! An interview with Farrell on IMDB. Haven't read it yet...

ETA: It's a funny interview! Lots of cursing and lots of classic comments and some new and fresh ones. This guy's just too much.

Best line: "Will you just ***** right the ***** off?" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 03-28-2003: Message edited stardevi ]

the artist formerly known as [stardevi]
Old 03-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

Colin may be on the cover of Cosmo Girl if he gets enough votes... so VOTE NOW!

You can vote as many times as you want, too. Colin is in 2nd place at the moment... eep!!

[img]smilies/sail_boat.gif[/img] Claire

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited purple monkey dishwasher ]

You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!
Old 03-29-2003, 02:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by purple monkey dishwasher:
<STRONG>Colin may be on the cover of Cosmo Girl if he gets enough votes... so VOTE NOW!

You can vote as many times as you want, too. Colin is in 2nd place at the moment... eep!!

[ 03-29-2003: Message edited purple monkey dishwasher ]</STRONG>
I've voted like 300 times, but now Justin is in the lead again! Arggh....guess I'll have to vote another 300 times [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

C'mon, girls, you have to vote too - we want Colin to beat Timberlake!!!
Old 03-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yes, let's beat timberlake! Think of it this way... he used to go out with britney, and Colin had a fling with her, therefore Colin is smarter for not stayig with her longer, and should be on the cover, bot justin. Yea, that kinda makes sense.

Oh and I just learned that you can't vote as many times as you want, only 100 votes a day... and it seems I've reached my limit. Alrighty, have to do it again tomorrow. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You guys are so unhip it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!
Old 03-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Fan

I love that article about Colin's career. I just saw it on USATODAY. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Good Guys vs Bad Guys &lt;---- Take a guess at which Col is... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

the artist formerly known as [stardevi]