Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm waiting for October. October 10th (Friday) is the Habs first game of the season, October 11th is the first Saturday game we're playing. It's not going to distract me all day, but it'll be enough.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Total Fan

Just watching Match of the Day and Shearer just used the phrase 'time and space' ... you can guess what my first thought was
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

my mom watches a show called Escape to the Country (aside: how the hell do the British have that kind of money?) and the host or one of the people looking at houses made a reference to the TARDIS.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Master Fan

Why, did the house look bigger on the inside or something?

And I really would love the answer to that question. How come every house-moving show (which I assume this is?) I watch has these insanely rich British people and I've never met a single one? Not even a really old guy with a bad heart or anything! It's a small country! You'd think once, but no. Seriously, I have no luck.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Total Fan

I think the same! And I live in the supposedly rich south of England. I honestly don't know how some people who are on these shows have so much disposable income because they're not that much older than I am and I have literally bugger all to my name
Old 08-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Master Fan

I live in the north- where we've all been told to abandon ship to Cambridge and Devon this week because we're beyond all hope of redemption so you can tell I'm buggered if you- in your glorious Southerner standing according to the reports- aren't well off!

But if you'd ever been to my town, you'd understand the reports. I once told somebody I was from here and they went "Really? Wow, you don't look like a drug addict." Trouble is, I couldn't tell whether they were joking or not.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Total Fan

Oh God, that's a terrible thing for someone to say to you!

I read those stories about Northerners all being doomed. It's such a load of bull. I have no idea who cooked all that up. I was born in a fairly well off area, it's where my parents still live and they're definitely comfortable money-wise. But I got bored and I moved out to Southampton which is a very diverse city when it comes to income I guess. The people of my city are a split between low income and high income. I live in an area that's right between the two. It's kind of strange.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Master Fan

Oh, no, I don't find it terrible at all. Which really says something about where I live. No, drugs are a pretty big thing where I live. Obviously, it's only a minority, but they get a lot of local press attention, making the problem seem a lot worse than it actually is.

My parents aren't well-off, but they've never been in debt and we live pretty comfortably, I'd say. I've never gone without, anyway. I do live in a "socially deprived"- Government code for "scruffy"- but I've never been particularly bothered. At least no-one will ever accuse me of being snobby. Well, unless being a grammar snob counts.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Total Fan

Being a grammar snob is fine, love. I just had to stop myself being one on another thread because I really hate it when other people do it too much
Old 08-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I'm terrible. I mean, we all make mistakes, but "ritin santances lyk dis wen ure nt txting" just makes me mad. The only excuse I'll accept for poor grammar/spelling is if it's not a person's mother tongue- but even then, if you're not fluent enough to be using capital letters and full stops, why are you posting in that language?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Total Fan

Fair point. People should post in the language they're most comfortable in. I know I often make daft mistakes when typing but that's OK

GAH I hate text speak, even in texts. I think that's why I use my message allowance up too quickly because I text everything in longhand!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, it's one where crazy rich people get sick of living in the city so they want to move to the "country".

Quote:
GAH I hate text speak, even in texts. I think that's why I use my message allowance up too quickly because I text everything in longhand!
I'd be doing the same too! If I had a cellphone.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't use textspeak for texts either, unless I reeeeaaally need the space and even then I hate doing it.

I just made a list of all the shows I'll be watching this fall, all in all it came down to 19 shows that's just insane. I'll probably have to drop a few.

ETA: oh and I didn't even include Being Human, Merlin and West 10 LDN in these! anyone know when those will be starting, by the way?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

I do it because it'd be weird not to. My friends would know I was strange rather than just thinking it.

Nineteen shows? That's a lot! The only shows I'm really interested in watching this season iare House and How I Met Your Mother. But I also really want to start watching things like Heroes, The Wire and maybe Torchwood. So maybe I'll get around to that one day, because I've been meaning to watch those shows for forever.

Also, I got a new laptop today. Yay! It's very pretty and super-fast. 4GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive- I'm so proud!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, that laptop sounds amazing! I've only had mine for about 10 months now and it's still good, but the new ones you get these days are already infinite amounts better, it goes so quickly have fun with it!

I've never watched The Wire but I'd definitely recommend Heroes, and of course Torchwood I've been on a bit of a Torchwood kick again lately, or more... I-Love-Gwen-So-Much-It-Hurts kick, actually
Closed Thread   Post New Thread