Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Master Fan

Good post, Anla.

I don't rank VLV as high as you (it isn't even close to being my favorite episode, I rank it below practically all of Season One and several Season Two episodes) - but I do like it. It was a good episode, and I think you touched on most of my favorite parts.

I also liked the A/I, but of course there was far too little of it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

The Candy was great.

My favorite part was valenti treating Tess like part of his family. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/abduct.gif[/img] [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Abducted Bookworm:
<STRONG>I also liked the A/I, but of course there was far too little of it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

The Candy was great.

My favorite part was valenti treating Tess like part of his family. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
I didn't mention the Alex/Isabel? Shame on me. Yeah, their talk at the dinner was wonderful. Alex played it just right, and you could see the spark of interest returning to the surface on Isabel's part (I think she was always interested in Alex, of course, but she allowed other things to interfere. Then she realized she didn't have to).

Michael's attitude in the first part of the episode annoyed me a bit. It would have annoyed me more if he hadn't made it perfectly clear, right from the start, that this was a trip for him to reestablish his friendship with Max, and the others agreed that they were going to give Michael and Max time alone to hang out. (I also suspect he didn't want the others around because he knew how close he was to a break-down.) So yeah, he was rude to Maria. But she was breaking the "rule" that she knew about when they started. So I was annoyed, but could understand. Michael realized it and tried to make up for it at the end. He always tries to fix his mistakes when possible.

I love Valenti. He is a great father figure to the whole group - love his lecturing them about how they're not allowed to skip school unless it's to save a planet, and the way that they all look down ashamed. And I particularly like seeing Tess as a member of the Valenti family.

Quote:
Originally posted by PoP NoT SoDa:
<STRONG>I also liked that Tess/Liz got to talk a little. I think if it wasn't for Max, they could be friends. Maybe. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I really was hopeful when we saw little moments that seemed to indicate Tess and Liz were learning to accept each other and could at least co-exist peacefully, like when they worked together against the Gandarium in the HC. In fact, in the scene where they were talking to Brody/Larek, Liz even agreed with something Tess said, and I nearly went into shock. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Of course, by the middle of season 2, I was really liking Tess and had high hopes for her and her place in the group. Didn't quite work out, though. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ 02-07-2004: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 02-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Dedicated Fan

I have to stick up for Michael on this one. He was having nightmares about being pursued, being left to face their enemies alone. He needed some time alone, or at least just he and Max, hanging out, having fun, getting away from the stress of hiding, worrying about himself and the others. So, what happens? The others invite themselves along. Then Maria gets mad because he won't drop everything and take care of her needs. She didn't need him to audition. She managed just fine without him. Well, other than not reading the entire flyer. She got up in front of that guy and auditioned like she was confident and did a great job. Then she was angry about that. I don't think Michael let her down at all. It was a good learning experience for her. Check the fine print!

Valenti's reading the riot act was one of my favorite scenes in all of Roswell. He was the perfect picture of a father catching his kids up to no good. Really though, it wasn't as bad as he made it out to be. I think his primary anger stemmed from the fear that something terrible had happened to them. Then he finds out that he's been worrying himself crazy while they're having a blast in Las Vegas.

The way he treated Tess at the end was revealing. I like the way we learn that Jim considers Tess part of his family while she's still looking at herself as an orphan. A real father would have treated her the same way.

I thought the episode pointed out a big difference in all their personalities.

Max and Liz both were claiming they were only there for Michael and Maria and couldn't really relax and have fun.

Tess was having a great time. I thought it was funny the way she dragged Kyle onto the dance floor. She was determined to enjoy herself.

Kyle and Alex both went at the gambling in different ways. Alex should have known better than to listen to Kyle's scheme. They both seemed a lot closer after being trapped together in that cave with the Gandarium.

Alex so often seems to be the one Maria and Liz turn to when they need help. So even though Alex wanted to have fun, too, he had no problem putting Maria first when she needed help with the audition, with the extra added incentive of three thousand dollars of course. But then he wasn't worn out from nightmares about being hunted keeping him awake at night so I still have to defend Michael's actions.

Isabel was so lonely, looking around at the happy couples, when her chance to be happy was right there in front of her, with Alex. I'm glad Alex said what he said to her to let her know she was so special to him.

Michael, too, was there for the fun and to get away from all the stress but being Michael, he went overboard and got both he and Max into trouble.

Maria jumped at the chance to do something with her music. I think that emphasized how critically important it was to her. It makes Behind The Music even more realistic as we see Maria longing for that kind of life, wanting to perform. Look how fantastic she was on the stage. When Michael dropped the surprise on her, she didn't even flinch. She had changed from being petrified to get up in front of an audience in Blind Date, to being eager and completely comfortable with an impromtu performance for strangers. And, wow! Can she sing! Majandra's singing added so much to Roswell.

As for a friendship between Tess and Liz, I think the way the show was going, there could have developed a great friendship between Tess, Liz, Maria and Isabel. Everything seemed to be going so well. I, too, loved the way they all worked together against the Gandarium. Tess and Liz actually hugged when Alex and Kyle got out of the cave. How much happier a show it would have been if they'd gone in that direction. Teenagers, working together to fight against the aliens and the government.

[ 02-07-2004: Message edited Algieba ]
Old 02-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Algieba:
<STRONG>I have to stick up for Michael on this one. He was having nightmares about being pursued, being left to face their enemies alone. He needed some time alone, or at least just he and Max, hanging out, having fun, getting away from the stress of hiding, worrying about himself and the others.</STRONG>
Yeah, like I said, I can understand why Michael was acting the way he was. He was rather rude and abrupt with Maria at the gambling tables. But he had been quite clear back in the penthouse when he explained the ground rules - he wanted time to spend with Max on this trip. The others all knew this, and made no complaints at the time.

I also find Michael's early comment in the episode to Max to be interesting, something along the lines of "I'm going to lose it, and it's not going to be pretty" if he doesn't get away from Roswell. I strongly suspect that part of the reason Michael didn't want the others around is that he did know how close he was to his breaking point, and didn't want them to witness it. He thought that getting back to his friendship with Max would help him (and it did, once the two of them managed to work things out). Their friendship was back on track for the rest of hte season.

I thought it was great how Tess told Kyle that they were dancing and dragged him out onto the dance floor. She was really trying to enjoy the trip. That was the side of Tess that I liked, the girl who really hadn't had much fun in her life and was trying to learn how to enjoy herself and have a good time with the rest of the group. She was so excited when she found out that Michael was arranging the trip for them all (well, at least she thought it was for them all - things really did get out of hand there very quickly).

Valenti must have been terrified when he learned that all the kids were missing at the same time. They should have told him where they were going (although I'm sure that he would have tried to stop them, which is why they didn't). The whole episode I'm thinking to myself "Valenti is going to be so mad when he finds them", because I had no doubt that he would, and there he was at the end. Loved it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-07-2004: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 02-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Algieba:
<STRONG>How much happier a show it would have been if they'd gone in that direction. Teenagers, working together to fight against the aliens and the government.

[ 02-07-2004: Message edited Algieba ]</STRONG>
Some great points. I agree that we have to take into account the stress Michael was feeling, in judging his actions.

It's great how Alex is the one his friends always turn to - VLV made it clear how much not only Isabel but also Liz and Maria need him.

Most of all, though, I like the point I quoted. VLV laid the basis for a happy and wonderful continuance of the show.

Just shows (even more) how completely unnecessary certain later developments were.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Moderator Manager

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] candies! i miss you all! [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]

okay, if there's one ep i'd [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] to watch over & over again, its "cry me your name" season 2. yeah, i know its a sad ep but every scene was just so important and memorable that i completely liked watching it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Still lurking around, reading everyone's great posts. I loved VLV, and I always thought a Tess/Liz friendship would have been nice. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Master Fan

Hey everyone! I haven't vitisited this thread in awhile. Just want to let you know I'm still an MM candy shipper! I get so nostalgic watching all t he candy scenes. I think my favorite one that still tops the list is when Michael first kissed Maria at the crashdown in "Riverdog." It was so funny after...

Michael: That was to calm you down.
Maria: Ok.

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And then they walk away from each other. I love that sexual frustration.

-Christy
Old 02-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Extreme Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] hey guys long itme no post!!!! hope u all having a great weekend!! [img]smilies/wiggle.gif[/img] just wanted to say i love everythign u guys have posted it was a good read... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
POP : those pics are fantastic!!!!! i [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] them!! ur soo talented!!!

and i agree with that whole
michael: that was to calm u down
maria: ok
then walking away it was soo funny i cry of laughter everytime i see that!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
anyways this was just a quick hello ill be back a lil later just have some work and cleaning to do
ciao ciao for now
Old 02-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>It's great how Alex is the one his friends always turn to </STRONG>
Alex was an amazing friend to all of them, human and alien. I've always loved how he was the first one into the balance circle, willing to take the chance to help Michael, even though he barely knew him (and Michael hadn't exactly been nice to Alex up until then), because it was the right thing to do. In many ways, Alex was the foundation of the group.

Quote:
Originally posted by Xi Men:
<STRONG>okay, if there's one ep i'd [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] to watch over & over again, its "cry me your name" season 2. yeah, i know its a sad ep but every scene was just so important and memorable that i completely liked watching it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
While I wish Alex hadn't died, I agree that CYN was a good episode. It's sad, but well written and well acted.

Quote:
Originally posted by RoswellDreamer5:
<STRONG>I think my favorite one that still tops the list is when Michael first kissed Maria at the crashdown in "Riverdog." It was so funny after...

Michael: That was to calm you down.
Maria: Ok.</STRONG>
Oh, that was a great scene. Michael was looking good in that episode. For some reason, I always liked the scene with him eating the chocolate cake. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] Of course, he and Maria flirting while Isabel is watching in shock was so funny. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited Anla ]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 02-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Extreme Fan

that was hell funny watching isabelshe looked so pained to be watching them flirt!!! as well as disgusted [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
michael and chocolate cake... [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] one word * fantasy* hehehe
Old 02-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Master Fan

A very good scene.

And then Isabel was trapped in the car with Michael and Maria flirting in Blood Brothers. I really felt badly for her (of course, I was also laughing hysterically at the looks she was giving them [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ).

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 02-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Anla:
<STRONG>

Oh, that was a great scene. Michael was looking good in that episode. For some reason, I always liked the scene with him eating the chocolate cake. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] Of course, he and Maria flirting while Isabel is watching in shock was so funny. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited Anla ]</STRONG>
ITA!! I loved that [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] and all the other M/M scene's in that epi.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Master Fan

Oh I hated CYN so much... well executed, but completely unenjoyable for the content. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]

Oh S1 Candy flirting! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I loved that. Poor Isabel!

Old 02-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by swedish fan:
<STRONG>ITA!! I loved that [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] and all the other M/M scene's in that epi.</STRONG>
Like earlier in the ep, when Michael was trying to non-chalantly get the others to let Maria come and help them go through the stuff from Atherton's, and Max and Isabel are just giving him those amused looks. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
<STRONG>Oh S1 Candy flirting! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I loved that. Poor Isabel!</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'm quite sure that's why she vanishes from the Crashdown in Riverdog. She just didn't want to have to watch Michael and Maria flirting anymore. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

icon by lunas_borednow
Closed Thread   Post New Thread