Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Loyal Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Candies!!

Loving all th discussions. Really wish I could expand on it, but I'm tight of time and I need to study for my upcoming exams! Wish me luck!!!!!

Anyway, love all!

[img]smilies/cat.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Abducted Bookworm:
<STRONG> In S3 I suppose they realized they weren't capable of doing anything they were doing properly, so they decided to show the breakup - after all, it didn't suck that much more than everything else.

[img]smilies/abduct.gif[/img] [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]</STRONG>
LMAO! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ITA with ya there! But at least they kinda helped with the bad-ness of it all, by having them totally unable to stay away from each other! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 09:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

Oh and Good Luck Shobhna!! U'll do fine hun!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Master Fan

Good luck, Shobna!

Good point Eternal... nothing can keep M/M apart. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/abduct.gif[/img] [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Banned

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Brian and Leanne don't recognize each other.....But I do! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Hey girl!

Yeah, often I don't post in here, because you guys are too deep for me. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Extreme Fan

Good luck good luck good luck!!!! hope everything goes well for u [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] hey candies hows ya going?
i have read what all of u have said now and i have to agree with ya...i think i am going to put it down to the simple fact being um.. s3 sucked??? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ok i should not have said that i will just say ( and i mean no pun when i say this) the real season 3 was abducted by aliens and what we saw was just a fake!!!
il be around have a great day guys!! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
So, yeah. If the show had gone the route of emphasizing Maria's general unhappiness and not knowing what she wanted out of her life as the reason for breaking up with Michael, that I could have accepted. In fact, that's the explanation that I have chosen to go with
Maria seemed to have a general undercurrent of unhappiness in her relationship with Michael from the beginning. After Maria first learned that Michael was an alien, and then saw Michael looking inside the Crash Down window, she told Liz, “That guy creeps me out.”

Michael wasn’t exactly Maria’s dream guy. She loved him, but he failed to support her in her music for the most part. He wasn’t into her music, the way she would have liked for him to be. Michael loved the group Metallica. Maria’s music was different from Michael’s musical preference.

It’s true that Michael used his money to arrange an opportunity for Maria to perform in Las Vegas. However, Maria invited herself along on the trip. Maria wanted Michael to go with her to the audition she had arranged. But Michael wanted to gamble instead. Michael completely ignored her, when she asked him to join her and cheer her on in what could be her big break.

Later, Maria arranged for the formal dinner in Las Vegas, at which Michael subsequently arranged for Maria to sing. Michael knew enough about Maria’s music to know a song she would enjoy performing. He told the band ahead of time what song to play.

However, when Maria had performed for the Blind Date Contest, Michael wasn’t there. He instead went off on his own with Isabel to leave a symbol on the library lawn.

When Max held a meeting to discuss things in the UFO Center, Michael, again, was out of touch with the fact that Maria had arranged a music performance that she wanted Michael to attend. Michael instead wanted to watch the dirt bike finals. When Maria told Michael what she had wanted, Michael said, “Yeah. But I've heard you sing before. What's the big deal?”

Quote:
I've never understood why we got the whole thing about Michael stopping Maria from singing. Her unhappiness over Alex stopped her singing - his funeral was the last time she sang until Billy came back.
It wasn’t that Michael stopped Maria from singing. He didn’t. Maria stopped herself. She stopped singing, after Alex’ death and Michael never noticed. Billy, on the other hand, noticed. He knew how essential it was to a performer to continue with music. He understood what music meant to Maria in a way that Michael hadn’t.

When Max had tried to get back with Liz, he wanted to know what Maria thought. She said, “Ok. Here's what I think...give Liz up. Leave her alone. All this is leading nowhere. None of us belong with any of you. And I'm really sick of how much it's screwing us up. I mean, look at us. We're pathetic.”

Despite Maria’s advice to Max, Maria and Michael got back together. However, all along, Maria had problems accepting Michael for who he was. She didn’t realize that Michael was the way he was in many ways, because of the way he had been raised. Michael really hadn’t known that a shampoo with conditioner was a poor choice as a gift. He didn’t know that an electric toothbrush wasn’t a good gift choice either, until Isabel told him otherwise. Michael wanted to know what kind of gift to give Maria. Isabel advised him to give Maria a gift that was personal, thoughtful and something that Maria wouldn’t get for herself. Michael chose to refinish a bumper to replace the one on her car. Maria didn’t appreciate Michael’s gift, the way she appreciated the gift of diamond earrings that Isabel bought.

Michael took on an additional job, because of his overspending. Michael’s new job meant that Michael and Maria had even less time to spend together. Maria wanted Michael to be sure to clean the sheets. Such an ordinary responsibility in maintaining a relationship is time consuming. Maria used the sheets, so cleaning the sheets was her responsibility, too. However, it’s understandable that Maria might have felt that if she cleaned the sheets in her home, she didn’t want to have to clean them at Michael’s as well. A solution might have been for them to clean the sheets they used at Michael’s house together. Relationships require time to maintain.

People have demands on their time. Maria worked as well as attended school. Spending time in alien problems was time consuming, as well as emotionally difficult. Music requires hours of practice. It requires commitment. Maria wanted to give her music that commitment. She wanted more out of life than dealing with alien problems. Maria told Liz, “It is not a coincidence that my life started around the time Michael and I broke up. I mean, god, you don't know how liberating it is to be free from all this alien chaos. It's like suddenly my life is like a life.”

When Maria had performed at Cow Patties, again, Michael didn’t show up. Maria wanted more than being part of a couple with Michael. She wanted to give her music a chance, rather than get back together with Michael. She had loved Michael “more than you’ll ever know”, but she needed to give her music the attention she wanted to give it.

Maria had once told Billy, “Decide what you want in life and live it.” That’s what Maria decided to do in her life, when she broke up with Michael, in order to devote time to her music. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-05-2004: Message edited Citrus and Vine ]
Old 02-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hi Everybody. I'm enjoying all your posts. I think Michael and Maria had so many ups and downs but paraphrasing what Maria said to the fortune teller, a volatile relationship is an exciting one.

Citrus. Very good points. I can't help thinking about the memories that ran through Michael's head after Maria broke up with him. The dance at the prom was such a happy time in thier lives. It was also a time when Michael was very sensitive to Maria's wants. He went out of his way to try to learn to dance just because he knew how much it meant to her. He could be so sweet and caring when he realized what Maria needed. I agree that Michael didn't always know how to be a good boyfriend because of the way he grew up. But when he did figure it out, he was dynamite.

One of my favorite scenes was the moment Michael appeared at the prom in that dark outfit with his hair looking so elegant. He was made to look so scruffy that sometimes I forget how terribly handsome he is. The way he puts his arm around Maria as they walk onto the dance floor, the way they looked into each other's eyes and had such fun dancing together was in Michael's mind and memory as Maria walked away from him. He never saw it coming and when it did, he just couldn't figure it out. I felt so bad for him but I thought Maria needed to get away from him for a while to get back to concentrating on her own dreams, her music. I knew they'd get back together eventually.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Algieba:
<STRONG>Hi Everybody. I'm enjoying all your posts. I think Michael and Maria had so many ups and downs but paraphrasing what Maria said to the fortune teller, a volatile relationship is an exciting one.

Citrus. Very good points. I can't help thinking about the memories that ran through Michael's head after Maria broke up with him. The dance at the prom was such a happy time in thier lives. It was also a time when Michael was very sensitive to Maria's wants. He went out of his way to try to learn to dance just because he knew how much it meant to her. He could be so sweet and caring when he realized what Maria needed. I agree that Michael didn't always know how to be a good boyfriend because of the way he grew up. But when he did figure it out, he was dynamite.

One of my favorite scenes was the moment Michael appeared at the prom in that dark outfit with his hair looking so elegant. He was made to look so scruffy that sometimes I forget how terribly handsome he is. The way he puts his arm around Maria as they walk onto the dance floor, the way they looked into each other's eyes and had such fun dancing together was in Michael's mind and memory as Maria walked away from him. He never saw it coming and when it did, he just couldn't figure it out. I felt so bad for him but I thought Maria needed to get away from him for a while to get back to concentrating on her own dreams, her music. I knew they'd get back together eventually.</STRONG>
Reading your post made me want to watch my eppies. I miss them. I need that DVD.

Peace~Jordan
Old 02-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Extreme Fan

i second that ... im pining for that dvd right about now!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sHobhnA GuerIn CRAZY CANDY:
<STRONG>Loving all th discussions. Really wish I could expand on it, but I'm tight of time and I need to study for my upcoming exams! Wish me luck!!!!!</STRONG>
Good luck! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

With all their ups and downs in their relationships, the M&M break-up in S3 still feels rushed and forced and inconsistent to me (for the reasons already mentioned - don't worry, I won't make you read them again [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ). I don't feel that way about any of their other fights or problems. Their relationship in the first two seasons made sense to me. I didn't always like what they said or did (either of them - they both were capable of messing up and hurting the other), but it made sense based on their character's history and past experiences. And other than the time when Maria lied about the flashes (which she couldn't keep up for long), they were as honest with each other as they could be (that's the one thing I liked about BTM - if Maria was unhappy, then it's good that there was enough honesty in their relationship for her to tell him about it. Even if the reasons given make no sense. Okay, I did repeat myself that much. I'll stop now. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] )

Talking this much about S3 isn't happy Roswell for me. Time for me to move back to times when the show made sense to me, emotionally at least (even if there were still some plotholes, just not as many as came later). So, I'm going to think some more about the pilot. Not much Candy (although we do get the whole handprint at the Crash Festival thing [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ), but overall, an episode I truly enjoyed. And I didn't have the urge to yell or scold any of the characters. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 02-05-2004, 05:23 AM
Dedicated Fan

Anla.

I can think of some happy moments that I realy liked in Season 2. Three of my favorites were Michael's support of the DeLuca family after Alex's death, his intervention to save both Maria and Liz in Las Crusas, and his arrangement for Maria to sing in Las Vegas.

When Alex died, Michael became the one for both Maria and Amy to depend on. He stayed with them, "on the couch" (loved that remark), bolstered their spirits, did odds and ends of things they weren't up to and even talked with Amy about his relationship with Maria and not wanting to hurt Maria if he couldn't be with her permanently (the plunger incident).

When Michael found out the two girls were going to Las Crusas, he rightly suspected they were up to something that could get them hurt. He didn't wait for something bad to happen to Maria before he acted. He followed them to Las Crusas and saved both Maria and Liz's lives when that alien bomb went off.

In VLV, it wasn't just that he paid for the chance for Maria to sing. It was that he was sensitive enough to see how disappointed she was in her audition, thought of a way to get her a chance on stage and then did what was necessary to arrange it for her.

In Season 1, he overheard Maria's mom talking on the phone about losing her financial shirt if she didn't have a wrestler for the fight. Michael quietly stepped in and saved the day.

I hesitate to bring up Season 3, but what he did in Snapple was a risk to himself but helped a friend.

In all these things, Michael is sensitive to other's needs, figures out what needs to be done and then does it. He doesn't call any attention to himself, doesn't brag. He just does a "good thing" because he's a really good guy at heart. He can't stand around and watch something bad happen to anyone. He acts, he gets involved, he risks himself to help others. Sometimes his actions result in disaster and unintended consequences but the point is, he is trying to help, not just sit around and wait for disaster to come to them.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Total Fan

PoP NoT SoDa I stole those. I need to make my livejournal pretty. Do you make layouts?

Peace~Jordan
Old 02-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Loyal Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Candies!! Thanks for all teh good wishes! You guys are so sweet!!

Dana, love em!!! You rock girl!

[img]smilies/cat.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Algieba:
<STRONG>Anla.

I can think of some happy moments that I realy liked in Season 2.</STRONG>
Oh, I love Season 2 (well, I have some problems with the last few episodes, but not with the Candy, and overall, I liked the season). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It's Season 3 that I said wasn't happy for me.

You brought up some great moments from Season 2. Michael was absolutely wonderful with the DeLucas at the end of the season. Michael really is a protector/care-taker (and it was great to see him able to show this in a way other than fighting - probably alleviated some of his self-doubts left over from Destiny and its aftermath). He was so incredibly sweet and gentle with Maria in CYN, and the "absolutely promise" scene in BIY is one of my favorite Candy scenes. The two of them have developed such a strong honesty with each other, and Michael puts Maria's well-being ahead of becoming involved in the Max/Liz feud.

VLV is my all-time favorite Roswell episode. Not only because of the wonderful scene where Michael arranges for Maria to sing (the two exchange such wonderful looks up on the stage [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ), but because I enjoyed the chance to see the group go off together somewhere and have some fun. And there was the added side bonus of Max and Michael actually working out some of their issues and tension that had been developing over the past year or so.

Although my favorite VLV moment was Valenti's lecture to them towards the end. And his "Tess, don't make me come back in there!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

icon by lunas_borednow
Closed Thread   Post New Thread