Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I never liked her tbh
Me either! She drove me crazy with her decisions.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondluverbrotha (View Post)
They did change a lot from the comics, maybe they should have stuck closer to the original storyline but then they would have less surprises.
No, the comics have some terrible stuff. Plus Carol wouldn't be Carol if they had
Old 05-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I can see why the left some stuff out. I think it is good they did not completely stick to every detail but they should maybe have been closer to the same story. I never actually read the comics but did read synopsis of them and the show had made really dramatic changes, that doesn't really matter to me so much as it does to some people that were fans of the comics and had attachments to certain characters.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah they haven’t completely followed the comics
Old 05-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Five Alpha (View Post)
No, the comics have some terrible stuff. Plus Carol wouldn't be Carol if they had
Who cares about Carol? All they did with Carol was give her a lot of Andrea's storyline from the comics. I tell people all the time that Carol was horrible in the comics. Giving Carol the storyline that belonged to Andrea doesn't make Carol better, it just makes her Andrea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondluverbrotha (View Post)
They did change a lot from the comics, maybe they should have stuck closer to the original storyline but then they would have less surprises.
Well, not really. I mean, Glenn died on the show the same way he died in the comics, so did the Governor. If the show is mostly for non-comic book fans then it'll all be new to them, so there's little reason to change things too much. And as far as Andrea is concerned, that was not only character defamation, that was the show reneging on Laurie Holden's contract which said she was supposed to be around until the series' end.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
That's only because Glen Mazzara ruined her character. In the comics it was actually Andrea who held off The Governor's soldiers with her sniper rifle during the assault on the prison. They gave that to Glenn and Maggie in the season 3 finale. Andrea was a popular character in the comics, but then Mazzara took over and he screwed around with the storyline. How do you kill off the female lead and Rick's leading lady in the comics before that storyline even gets started? She was never involved with the Governor in the comics.
Do you have any idea why he ruined Andrea?
Old 05-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Do you have any idea why he ruined Andrea?
I only know what I read in interviews with Robert Kirkman and Laurie Holden. Holden said she had signed an eight year contract with the show when Frank Darabont was the showrunner, and she and Andrew Lincoln were told about the Rick/Andrea storyline and that this would be the storyline they were doing on the show. But then Darabont was fired by AMC over budget disagreements and Glen Mazzara took over. Mazzara was told to have more indoor scenes and fewer zombies in season 2 due to budget cuts, which is why that season dragged so much and also affected the direction of the show. They were originally going to do a lot more in that season that they never got to do. Season 2 was supposed to begin with them escaping Atlanta(there's an old trailer for season 2 that showed what the original season 2 opening was supposed to be) and the part where they end up on that highway with the walker herd wasn't actually supposed to happen until the second or third episode of the season.

Season 2 was supposed to end with them getting to the prison and having being surrounded by walkers, which would end with a cliffhanger. There was also supposed to be a flashback episode which showed the fall of Atlanta and how that tank ended up getting in the middle of that street, but that all got scrapped. So the budget cuts for season 2 affected how they were going to lead into season 3. Mazzara used to work on The Shield and had a different take on things. He changed the story and had Andrea meet Michonne first and the two of them end up in Woodbury with the Governor. He was the one who came up with that stupid idea to have Andrea get involved with the Governor, and Robert Kirkman, probably due to inexperience at running a TV show and not having Frank Darabont around to help him, just went along with it, not realizing how it would affect Andrea's character. More than halfway through the season, Mazzara called up Laurie Holden in the middle of the night and told her that he was killing her character off, and regarding the Rick/Andrea storyline, he told her, "I can't write that."

Seriously? That's his damn job to write that, and he's saying he can't for some reason? Laurie Holden had just bought a house in Atlanta, assuming she was going to be there for the entire show's run, and now she found out she was being written off because of Mazzara's inability to figure out how to write something that Robert Kirkman had spent years writing. Kirkman himself admitted that he was on the fence about killing off Andrea, but by the time season 2 ended, Mazzara was fired from the show, right after Andrea had been killed. I chalk this up to people running the show who just didn't understand the material, and that's probably why the show has lost so many viewers over time.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I wonder if they are going to follow the comics with the Rick & Negan storyline?
Old 05-06-2018, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

which is what?
Old 05-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Negan is prisoner for like a year, until one day he gets free. Rick catches him, but offers him a partnership of kinds. They basically end up working together.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I'd love that
Old 05-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Who cares about Carol? All they did with Carol was give her a lot of Andrea's storyline from the comics. I tell people all the time that Carol was horrible in the comics. Giving Carol the storyline that belonged to Andrea doesn't make Carol better, it just makes her Andrea
Melissa has killed her storylines. I couldn't care less if they have her everyone else's stories lines. Melissa wouldn't have gotten to prove how amazing she is if they had followed the Carol storylines in the comic. So really who cares about Andrea when you have Melissa running circles around around the stuff they have given her.

And yeah it sucks cause laurie is an amazing actor, but it wasn't meant to be for her on this show.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I'd love that
Same!! Will see if they go down that road. May not since Maggie wants her revenge.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I'm looking forward to their interactions with him as a prisoner as well
Old 05-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Five Alpha (View Post)
Melissa has killed her storylines. I couldn't care less if they have her everyone else's stories lines. Melissa wouldn't have gotten to prove how amazing she is if they had followed the Carol storylines in the comic. So really who cares about Andrea when you have Melissa running circles around around the stuff they have given her.

And yeah it sucks cause laurie is an amazing actor, but it wasn't meant to be for her on this show.
Because Carol wasn't meant to be Rick's love interest and Andrea was. If I had to choose I'd choose to keep Andrea and ditch Carol, since that's the story that Robert Kirkman told in the comics, so that's what we should see on the screen. Melissa can kill it on another show.

And yes it was meant to be for Laurie on the show. I told you that Laurie signed an 8 year contract with the show and was supposed to be with the show until the end, and was also supposed to be given the Rick/Andrea storyline. If Frank Darabont had stayed with the show I guarantee you that's the story we would've seen. So killing off Andrea wasn't just a narrative mistake, it could also be considered a breach of contract, which would further justify Mazzara being fired from the show. I don't accept that Andrea's storyline with Rick and the entire show as a result was compromised because of one incompetent hack writer and showrunner like Glen Mazzara who didn't understand the material he was given and only ended up mismanaging the entire show into the ground. And if you look into the history of The Walking Dead you'll see that the showrunners have been in a constant battle with AMC over the direction of the show, and Scott Gimple being fired makes three main showrunners who have been kicked off the show.

So yes, I'm going to complain about this because bad writing and mismanagement should not be the reason that the Rick/Andrea storyline that Robert Kirkman wrote will be forever trapped on black and white, two dimensional sheets of paper and never get to see the light of day on screen. The day someone reboots The Walking Dead(which is highly unlikely), or does a film version that gets the story right and has Rick and Andrea together is the day I'll stop criticizing The Walking Dead. But as long as the TV show keeps earning the criticism with its constant mediocrity and incompetence(Kirkman, Hurd, and Nicoterro are now in a lawsuit against AMC) I'll keep pointing out the show's many mistakes, including the killing off of Andrea and the Rick/Andrea storyline.