Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2003, 12:41 PM
LJC
Part-Time Fan

I think that it's a combination of the Timeslot of Death (having WW, Angel, and j20 all on simultaneously) combined with HUGE gaps in Nielsen data (for example, it skips college students not living at home, VCRs, TiVo, and obviously BitTorrent), and the show being slow to build.

Two things will solidly help the show:

1) letters and postcards (NOT emails or petitions, but specifically letters and postcards). Basically, 1 letter is worth 10, is usually the ratio I'd heard quoted in the industry. Because they assume that for every fan who takes the time to write a letter and stick it in the mail, there are 9 more just like them out there. Petitions and emails don't count precisely because they're too easy. It's letters that make a difference.

2) new fans being hooked this winter while j20's "competition" is in reruns. Chances are, if the numbers go up this spring during the new eps, that would be why--especially if enough WW and Angel folks bail due to the [imo] dramatic drop in quality on both shows, whereas it looks like j20 is only getting better with each ep...

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited LJC ]
LJC
Part-Time Fan

I think that it's a combination of the Timeslot of Death (having WW, Angel, and j20 all on simultaneously) combined with HUGE gaps in Nielsen data (for example, it skips college students not living at home, VCRs, TiVo, and obviously BitTorrent), and the show being slow to build.

1) letters and postcards (NOT emails or petitions, but specifically letters and postcards). Basically, 1 letter is worth 10, is usually the ratio I'd heard quoted in the industry. Because they assume that for every fan who takes the time to write a letter and stick it in the mail, there are 9 more just like them out there. Petitions and emails don't count precisely because they're too easy. It's letters that make a difference.

2) new fans being hooked this winter while j20's "competition" is in reruns. Chances are, if the numbers go up this spring during the new eps, that would be why--especially if enough WW and Angel folks bail due to the [imo] dramatic drop in quality on both shows, whereas it looks like j20 is only getting better with each ep...

LJC
Part-Time Fan

Old 12-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think that I am actually going to take the time sometimes and write UPN a letter telling them how I feel. I am one that will watch Enterprise at 8pm and then on my local channel tape Jake 2.0 and Angel. I just wish that I could help more. Thanxs for the info LJC
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum Legend

I think that I am actually going to take the time sometimes and write UPN a letter telling them how I feel. I am one that will watch Enterprise at 8pm and then on my local channel tape Jake 2.0 and Angel. I just wish that I could help more. Thanxs for the info LJC
Fan Forum Legend

Fan Forum Legend

Old 12-04-2003, 03:28 PM
LJC
Part-Time Fan

I have a whole new appreciation for "Cater Waiter", now that we know the characters better. Also? I had totally skipped the Lou & Kyle scenes first time around, and actually watching them, suddenly the plot makes sense to me. It's funny how that happens.

I still wonder what fall-out Jake had to deal with, from Sarah after he stood her up at the Lincoln Memorial. Props to Sarah for actually at least starting to look at Jake differently--even if she mocks him the whole time. Poor guy. He has too been working out! We can tell because we oogle his shirtless scenes and are very sensitive to any change in the Jake buffness factor!

Love Jake being all giddy about his "date", and Diane's first stirrings of jealousy. That whole scene is just so my fave. And not just for shippy reasons--but because Chris seems to comfortable in the character, and makes it feel totally real. I remember cringing all the way through the Jake and Sarah scenes because I have an embarrassment squick, and they just made me squirm. But I love how comfortable Jake is with Diane. That relationship one of the best ways that the audience has gotten to know the real Jake. And we start to see a similar friendship being built with Kyle in this ep, which I think is why in "The Good, The Bad, and the Geeky" the whole "You. Go away. Now" just works so well--because prior to this ep, Jake was all eager-puppy with Kyle, trying to please and impress him. While after this ep, he's more himself with Kyle--he can be honest with him.

And wow--has Jake come a long way as a field agent, or what? He was so nervous on his first mission, and he's learned so much since then. And I also love that we can see also how much Lou has evolved. She's so Mom when she was all trying to get Jake outta there. Yet she's, like, Evil Mom too, with her mention her fantabulous exploitation of Kyle's relationship with Mei Ling. I LOVE that she does that consistently -- use whatever advantage she has to hand, regardless of how ruthless it must be. Because someone has to make those choices, and she's embraced the fact that she's that person.

The whole unit has come so far since this ep, in terms of working together and trusting one another. Seeing it now, after "The Spy Who..." is actually a really neat juxtaposition.
LJC
Part-Time Fan

I have a whole new appreciation for "Cater Waiter", now that we know the characters better. Also? I had totally skipped the Lou & Kyle scenes first time around, and actually watching them, suddenly the plot makes sense to me. It's funny how that happens.

I still wonder what fall-out Jake had to deal with, from Sarah after he stood her up at the Lincoln Memorial. Props to Sarah for actually at least starting to look at Jake differently--even if she mocks him the whole time. Poor guy. He has too been working out! We can tell because we oogle his shirtless scenes and are very sensitive to any change in the Jake buffness factor!

Love Jake being all giddy about his "date", and Diane's first stirrings of jealousy. That whole scene is just so my fave. And not just for shippy reasons--but because Chris seems to comfortable in the character, and makes it feel totally real. I remember cringing all the way through the Jake and Sarah scenes because I have an embarrassment squick, and they just made me squirm. But I love how comfortable Jake is with Diane. That relationship one of the best ways that the audience has gotten to know the real Jake. And we start to see a similar friendship being built with Kyle in this ep, which I think is why in "The Good, The Bad, and the Geeky" the whole "You. Go away. Now" just works so well--because prior to this ep, Jake was all eager-puppy with Kyle, trying to please and impress him. While after this ep, he's more himself with Kyle--he can be honest with him.

And wow--has Jake come a long way as a field agent, or what? He was so nervous on his first mission, and he's learned so much since then. And I also love that we can see also how much Lou has evolved. She's so Mom when she was all trying to get Jake outta there. Yet she's, like, Evil Mom too, with her mention her fantabulous exploitation of Kyle's relationship with Mei Ling. I LOVE that she does that consistently -- use whatever advantage she has to hand, regardless of how ruthless it must be. Because someone has to make those choices, and she's embraced the fact that she's that person.

The whole unit has come so far since this ep, in terms of working together and trusting one another. Seeing it now, after "The Spy Who..." is actually a really neat juxtaposition.
LJC
Part-Time Fan

LJC
Part-Time Fan

Old 12-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I missed this eppy again this time around also. So this is the second time I have missed this eppy. Damn hockey
Old 12-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I missed this eppy again this time around also. So this is the second time I have missed this eppy. Damn hockey
Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 AM
LJC
Part-Time Fan

From The Vancouver Sun:

The cast and crew of UPN's Jake 2.0 are challenging fans, casts and crews of other Vancouver shows to raise money for the United Way between now and Dec. 15. "We got our 'back half' , and we want to spread the love," says Vancouver actress Keegan Connor Tracy, who plays research scientist Diane Hughes on the show. "Jake is the ultimate human upgrade, so this is the ultimate Christmas upgrade, I think it's good karma," she adds.

Fans can give as well -- check out The Ultimate Christmas Upgrade.

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited LJC ]
Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 AM
LJC
Part-Time Fan

From The Vancouver Sun:

The cast and crew of UPN's Jake 2.0 are challenging fans, casts and crews of other Vancouver shows to raise money for the United Way between now and Dec. 15. "We got our 'back half' , and we want to spread the love," says Vancouver actress Keegan Connor Tracy, who plays research scientist Diane Hughes on the show. "Jake is the ultimate human upgrade, so this is the ultimate Christmas upgrade, I think it's good karma," she adds.

Fans can give as well -- check out The Ultimate Christmas Upgrade.

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited LJC ]