Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Good post Kathy! I dont think one can ever decide what BtVS is, because it is everything. That is also a big reason why it never gets old, keeps giving us all the feelings in the spectrum
Callace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by =-Kathy-> (View Post)
I think you and sum1 are both right and both wrong, and that is the genius of BtVS.

It is both a parody and serious. When I think of parody I think of the original Buffy movie, Mel Brooks movies -- Space Balls, Blazing Saddles, etc. As far as serious works I think of the original Vampire movies from the '30's or the X files (although I haven't watched the X files enough to know if it took itself seriously the whole time or not) or any drama.

BtVS is serious horror. It is comedy ( and sometimes parodies other horror shows as well as itself -- I love the part in TR when Randy comes to the conclusion that he must be a noble vampire ). It is serious drama showing people dealing with issues of growing up, dealing with the struggle with good and evil, even within themselves, etc.

BtVS TV series was never intended to limit itself to parody. That's why it was even made because Joss was trying to tell the original story that was supposed to be the movie. The exec producers of that movie turned his script into a parody of itself.

So those who want parody I suggest you rent the movie.

I do agree though that toward the end of the series it did start to take itself a little too seriously. I would have liked a "little less ritual and a little more fun".
Good post Kathy
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
When I think of parody I think of the original Buffy movie, Mel Brooks movies -- Space Balls, Blazing Saddles, etc.
Then you're thinking too narrowly (no offense). Parody isn't just shout in your face type parody like that. Parody doesn't have to be such heavy handed parody to be parody.

Quote:
BtVS is serious horror.
Not really. It's been argued that it isn't really horror at all (there's a good essay on that). Certainly it doesn't take its horror all that seriously all the time.

Quote:
It is serious drama showing people dealing with issues of growing up, dealing with the struggle with good and evil, even within themselves, etc.
How serious its drama is varies. But in the later seasons it tried too hard to be "serious drama" and ended up making itself lame and pompous at times.

Quote:
BtVS TV series was never intended to limit itself to parody. That's why it was even made because Joss was trying to tell the original story that was supposed to be the movie. The exec producers of that movie turned his script into a parody of itself.
BTVS mightn't be JUST parody but it's certainly parody.

Quote:
So those who want parody I suggest you rent the movie.
Or watch BTVS.
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Not really. It's been argued that it isn't really horror at all (there's a good essay on that). Certainly it doesn't take its horror all that seriously all the time.
I'll admit that there wasn't that much serious horror in the show. The episodes that I judge as containing serious horror are Hush and Killed by Death.
=-Kathy-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 PM
New Fan

Speil

Quote:
Actually the hair and fingernails of corpses continue to grow. I think that is why traditionally vampires are usually depicted with long fingernails.
No they don't, (well not really)

The main reason for the apparent growing of hair and fingernails of corpses after death is caused by the extreme dehydration the body undergoes after dying... The skin is literally pulled back closer to the bone and looses it's elasticity.

Pathology: hair and nail growth after death

To explain the choke hold on dru in Becoming part II, maybe the lack of blood to her brain caused her to faint, not the lack of oxygen laced blood just the lack of fresh demonic blood, though this would mean that there is some sort of circulation system going on (which without a functional heart seems doubtful)

As for the bones of the master, Look again at ''Faith, Hope and Trick'' and you will notice that it takes Kakistos significantly longer to go through the dusting process than other younger vamps and notice too that it takes more than a ''mere stake'' to kill him...As the master is older maybe he's even more demon than vamp and thus the dusting process isn't able to dust him completely so he retains his skeleton?

As for the drowning of Spike by the first...Well I am at a loss to explain that.

And in Innocence season 3 how does Angel get smoke into his lungs? I mean Most of the ''smoke'' that is inhaled by people is exhaled...it is just the nicotine that crosses the lung blood barrier, all the suspended colloidal particles that make up smoke are either trapped by the lungs or exhaled, Therefore wouldn't Angel just get a nicotine ''buzz''? Though I have to say it looked damn cool.
Sweet J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you Sweet, for those explainations. they were good. (But Innocence is in S 2)

It generally makes no sense that vampires have no circulation, since they, from what we see, obviously do! they bruise, get drunk, have sex, and can be anaesthetised by injection. that means circulation. (in my mind, I have put in some sort of demonic energy, which keeps things flowing without heartbeat. that sort of makes sense with Drus illnes when we first see her too, the idea that staying close to the Hellmouth will make her better. must be a refreshing refill of such energy...)

Last edited by Callace; 02-05-2008 at 02:51 AM
Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'll admit that there wasn't that much serious horror in the show. The episodes that I judge as containing serious horror are Hush and Killed by Death.
Don't forget Same Time, Same Place - that was so scary!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet J (View Post)

And in Innocence season 3 how does Angel get smoke into his lungs? I mean Most of the ''smoke'' that is inhaled by people is exhaled...it is just the nicotine that crosses the lung blood barrier, all the suspended colloidal particles that make up smoke are either trapped by the lungs or exhaled, Therefore wouldn't Angel just get a nicotine ''buzz''? Though I have to say it looked damn cool.
I thought it was because he bit her in the throat...ripping it out. I always thought that.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe (View Post)
Don't forget Same Time, Same Place - that was so scary!
Yeah that one is scary. Also Listening to Fear.
=-Kathy-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m fkan (View Post)
I thought it was because he bit her in the throat...ripping it out. I always thought that.
That's what I thought
Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wouldnt that count as decapitation? Ripping her throat out...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by callace (View Post)
I think decapitation is when the skull is parted from the spinal cord. Isn't it?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The throat plays a central role in keeping skull and spinal cord together... that connection will be severly damaged if the throat is ripped away.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess it depends then if the ripping out of the throat breaks the spinal cord/skull connection. So it could be or could not be.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by callace (View Post)
Only if her head fell off, afterwards.

if the neck could still hold up the head...after the throat was gone...then...no.