Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)

BTVS isn't meant to be realistic. It's meant to be over the top parody.

I understand that it isn't supposed to be realistic....but what is it supposed to be a parody of?

I don't think that statement is accurate.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m fkan (View Post)
I understand that it isn't supposed to be realistic....but what is it supposed to be a parody of?

I don't think that statement is accurate.
Of couse it is. Just look at how the show started out. I don't understand how you could not see it. Over the top parody is fundamental to the show's nature. As for what it's supposed to be parodying, it parodies lots of stuff -teen stuff, horror, all sorts of fictional conventions and more.
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by callace (View Post)
"being a vampire sucks" That is the conclusion Harmony comes to, after having tried it for only a few months
Well, see? She wasn't that dumb! =P

Lazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Of couse it is. Just look at how the show started out. I don't understand how you could not see it. Over the top parody is fundamental to the show's nature. As for what it's supposed to be parodying, it parodies lots of stuff -teen stuff, horror, all sorts of fictional conventions and more.

Well, that's your opinion, I guess.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What I think is so great about the show is that it really doesnt parodize anything, It shows things more real than most other shows. but in an alternate universe, where myth and magic are real too
Callace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Well, that's your opinion, I guess.
Duh, everything posted here is somebody's opinion.
Quote:
What I think is so great about the show is that it really doesnt parodize anything, It shows things more real than most other shows. but in an alternate universe, where myth and magic are real too
It parodies things to hell and back. What did you think the Mayor and The Master are? They're parody. As is so much else in the show. Like the teen talk the characters go in for. And much of the show's approach to vampires. And, like I said, so much else. And I really don't see how the show shows things more real than other shows.

Last edited by sum1; 01-31-2008 at 08:21 AM
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

the monsters are monsters. they are also metaphores, but hardly parodies. and the teen talk is pretty much given up after high school.

what I meant was that they have such respect for feelings, and the fact that things that happens impact people, and has later consequences. how they deal with power, and love, and angst and pretty much everything else is simply brillinat, as statements about real life
Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
the monsters are monsters. they are also metaphores, but hardly parodies. and the teen talk is pretty much given up after high school.
The high school years are a significant part of the show's run. And many of the monsters are parodies. As are the two big bads I listed and multiple other characters. I really can't understand how you can say they're "hardly parodies".

Quote:
what I meant was that they have such respect for feelings, and the fact that things that happens impact people, and has later consequences. how they deal with power, and love, and angst and pretty much everything else is simply brillinat, as statements about real life
Hey there have been a lot of shows that deal with these things well. BTVS doesn't have a monopoly on that. And it's dealt with some of these things poorly at times. The show isn't perfect.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Its far from perfect, (this thread illustrates that) but it is among the best I have come across.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sure, I'll agree with that, but it got very screwed up by the end.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

IMO it was mostly screwed up in the beginning, and then got better and better. but then you already knew that we disagree on that
Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Duh, everything posted here is somebody's opinion.
It parodies things to hell and back. What did you think the Mayor and The Master are? They're parody. As is so much else in the show. Like the teen talk the characters go in for. And much of the show's approach to vampires. And, like I said, so much else. And I really don't see how the show shows things more real than other shows.
Yes, but you post your meandering thoughts as if they were facts. They aren't.

I still don't see what they mayor is a parody of. I don't see what the Master is a parody of.

par·o·dy
–noun 1. a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing: his hilarious parody of Hamlet's soliloquy.
2. the genre of literary composition represented by such imitations.
3. a burlesque imitation of a musical composition.
4. any humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation, as of a person, event, etc.
5. the use in the 16th century of borrowed material in a musical setting of the Mass (parody Mass).
6. a poor or feeble imitation or semblance; travesty: His acting is a parody of his past greatness.
–verb (used with object) 7. to imitate (a composition, author, etc.) for purposes of ridicule or satire.
8. to imitate poorly or feebly; travesty.

what are they imitating?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Yes, but you post your meandering thoughts as if they were facts. They aren't.
It sounds to me like you're being a bit uptight about somebody having a bit of confidence in their views. I'm not doing anything a lot of other people don't do.

Quote:
I still don't see what they mayor is a parody of. I don't see what the Master is a parody of.

par·o·dy
–noun 1. a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing: his hilarious parody of Hamlet's soliloquy.
2. the genre of literary composition represented by such imitations.
3. a burlesque imitation of a musical composition.
4. any humorous, satirical, or burlesque imitation, as of a person, event, etc.
5. the use in the 16th century of borrowed material in a musical setting of the Mass (parody Mass).
6. a poor or feeble imitation or semblance; travesty: His acting is a parody of his past greatness.
–verb (used with object) 7. to imitate (a composition, author, etc.) for purposes of ridicule or satire.
8. to imitate poorly or feebly; travesty.

what are they imitating?
Vampires, politicians, stereotypical villains. Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
IMO it was mostly screwed up in the beginning, and then got better and better. but then you already knew that we disagree on that
I don't see how it was screwed up in the beginning but it got conspicuously screwed up later on. It was true to itself in the early seasons but it lost sight of itself in the later years and there was so much nonsense later on -the AR, the drastic change in style, so much of season 7, etc.

Last edited by sum1; 02-01-2008 at 04:17 AM
Old 02-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:

Vampires, politicians, stereotypical villains. Isn't it obvious?
I still don't agree. I don't think that because you think so...that it's obvious.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

[b]par·o·dy
–noun 1. a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing
I think you and sum1 are both right and both wrong, and that is the genius of BtVS.

It is both a parody and serious. When I think of parody I think of the original Buffy movie, Mel Brooks movies -- Space Balls, Blazing Saddles, etc. As far as serious works I think of the original Vampire movies from the '30's or the X files (although I haven't watched the X files enough to know if it took itself seriously the whole time or not) or any drama.

BtVS is serious horror. It is comedy ( and sometimes parodies other horror shows as well as itself -- I love the part in TR when Randy comes to the conclusion that he must be a noble vampire ). It is serious drama showing people dealing with issues of growing up, dealing with the struggle with good and evil, even within themselves, etc.

BtVS TV series was never intended to limit itself to parody. That's why it was even made because Joss was trying to tell the original story that was supposed to be the movie. The exec producers of that movie turned his script into a parody of itself.

So those who want parody I suggest you rent the movie.

I do agree though that toward the end of the series it did start to take itself a little too seriously. I would have liked a "little less ritual and a little more fun".

Last edited by =-Kathy->; 02-01-2008 at 08:09 AM
=-Kathy-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread