Spoiler:
Old 09-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Elite Fan

More GoT spoilers ahead

Spoiler:

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Master Fan

I started reading The Odyssey. But I have no idea how to read poetry so it's taking me a while to get used to it. I also think I'm reading a bad translation (from what I read), but it's the free one on iBooks so...

And now more spoilers ahead
Spoiler:
Old 09-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I started reading The Odyssey. But I have no idea how to read poetry so it's taking me a while to get used to it. I also think I'm reading a bad translation (from what I read), but it's the free one on iBooks so...
They have several on the Project Gutenberg website in case you want to check if the translation is better.
Poetry is notoriously hard to translate. I found that the best translations I've seen (when I can't read in the original language) are done by poets themselves. Like Edna St. Vincent Millay's beautiful translations of Baudelaire's Fleurs du Mal or Henri Victor Hugo's French translations of Shakespeare that stays the reference to this day.
But yeah the Odyssey is a hard read. It's very classical poetry but not necessarily in the form we're used to seeing. Are you familiar with the stories at all? What made you start that one of all things?

Spoiler:

Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
They have several on the Project Gutenberg website in case you want to check if the translation is better.
Oh yeah, but iBooks take the free books from there, I already googled but couldn't find much about these translations. Oh yes, poetry is really hard to translate.

Quote:
But yeah the Odyssey is a hard read. It's very classical poetry but not necessarily in the form we're used to seeing. Are you familiar with the stories at all? What made you start that one of all things?
some of it, I'm more familiar with Iliad because I read an adapted version many years ago (and I would say it's a better known story). Well I've always wanted to read it then now the Greek and Roman myths class (from that site I showed you, coursera) I enrolled started and the first assignment is the Odyssey

Spoiler:
Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
some of it, I'm more familiar with Iliad because I read an adapted version many years ago (and I would say it's a better known story).
and it's also a more streamlined story. The Odyssey has a lot of sub-stories that make a whole. It's a different storytelling.

Quote:
Well I've always wanted to read it then now the Greek and Roman myths class (from that site I showed you, coursera) I enrolled started and the first assignment is the Odyssey
oooooh right! I enrolled in a Poetry class so I'll tell you what we're up to
It's really momentous as far as Greek mythology is concerned. I've always found myths and mythologies, and folktales, really fascinating. They often reflect the fears and hopes of the society that created them. If you compare the end of the world, for example, as it was written in all these different myths, that says a lot about the world they live in.

Spoiler:

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
oooooh right! I enrolled in a Poetry class so I'll tell you what we're up to
Ohh that's great! Unfortunately no time to enroll in every class

Quote:
It's really momentous as far as Greek mythology is concerned. I've always found myths and mythologies, and folktales, really fascinating. They often reflect the fears and hopes of the society that created them. If you compare the end of the world, for example, as it was written in all these different myths, that says a lot about the world they live in.
the story itself is interesting as is the background

[sp]
Quote:
It's funny because I remember reading a comment from Nikolaj about how men could be horrible but never be blamed and as soon as women faulted, they were cast out. Sad but true. Worse than that, it's the women who let everything slide for men but are quick to call other women bitches.
Yes! He's absolutely right. I keep seeing nonsense hate towards Cersei, Catelyn, Sansa, Dany... but I hardly ever see it towards the guys, they usually try to justify the guys. Like it's not okay for Catelyn to do something stupid to get her daughters back but it's totally okay for Robb to act with his dick because it's for "love"

Quote:
oh boy, the boards are going to be fun!
I already can see all the justifications they will come up with

Spoiler:
Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Ohh that's great! Unfortunately no time to enroll in every class
I know what you mean! I also wanted to enroll in the logics seminar but I had to choose.

Quote:
the story itself is interesting as is the background
so rich and complex, and interwoven with myths and legends, nobody knows if they started there or before

Since that part is non spoilerish... maybe others will want to join in.

Quote:
but I hardly ever see it towards the guys, they usually try to justify the guys. Like it's not okay for Catelyn to do something stupid to get her daughters back but it's totally okay for Robb to act with his dick because it's for "love"
Exactly! And then women wonder why so many women are treated like crap all over the world! For this! Exactly this! Men will always be excused by women! But with other women, they are unforgiving!

Quote:
I already can see all the justifications they will come up with
It's all Cersei's fault anyway

Spoiler:

Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Addicted Fan

I was trying to wait for Season 3 of GoT to end so I start reading book 4, but you girls are making things very difficult!!! I think I'm going to try and focus on shows more, or else, I won't resist to open that book!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I know what you mean! I also wanted to enroll in the logics seminar but I had to choose.
I enrolled on a bunch of classes and they were taking forever to start. Then the week they announced the strike was over one of them started, then the next week two others started. I had to choose one

Quote:
Exactly! And then women wonder why so many women are treated like crap all over the world! For this! Exactly this! Men will always be excused by women! But with other women, they are unforgiving!
Yes! That reminds me of
Quote:
GQ: I saw a video of Lena Headey talking about fans' reactions to her personally, and how basically people are like, "You're such a bitch."
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: [Laughs] I haven't had that. I was a little worried because of what happened, especially in episode one of the show where I push the kid out the window, that I was going to get a bit of anger, but no, I've been very lucky. People have been very friendly, smiling [laughs]. It's probably an old gender thing. It's okay for a guy to be a baddie, but a woman? No, we can't deal with that.
people That's why they changed (which really annoys me) somethings Catelyn and Cersei did. To make them more "likable" and in Cersei's case more "human". It was Catelyn's idea to send Jaime off to King's Landing, she knew fully well what she was doing, and then in the show they made it Petyr's idea???? She was the one who suggested the talk with Renly and Stannis, it wasn't her son sending her off on a mission. And there are so many other things about show!Cat that pisses me off. And with Cersei, making Joffrey's decision to kill Robert's bastards and not hers; "Sometimes I wonder if this is the price of our sins." what?? Cersei was never apologetic about her relationship with Jaime (not to mention I doubt she would say those things and cry in front of Tyrion out of all people). While they almost completely ruined Catelyn, at least show!Cersei is very close to book!Cersei, if only they didn't insist on trying to justify her actions. I don't see changes being made to make the guys more "likable" (I might be forgetting something because you know, my memory)

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
I was trying to wait for Season 3 of GoT to end so I start reading book 4, but you girls are making things very difficult!!! I think I'm going to try and focus on shows more, or else, I won't resist to open that book!
I know what you mean. I told myself I would read one book after each season ended but after devouring aGoT in a week and with months before S2 premiere I gave up. Then I realized that by the time it airs I won't remember most things so it won't be a problem
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Total Fan

OMG, I just realized I still haven't finished ADWD I have a 100 pages left or so, there was no point in taking it to Croatia and I started A Portrait of a Lady instead (I need to read more Henry James! I have Daisy Miller at home and the rest I'll get when I go back to uni)
But now I'm reading a really cool novel that my friend lent me. Some call it "Polish AGoT" and maybe there's sth in it, it's set in 13th c. Poland during the regional disintegration and mostly focuses on the politics of the many dukedoms. There are also some fantasy elements. And it's really well researched, fun fact: the author thanks one of my teachers from uni for consultation And I know the next book is on the way, I'll be dead if the author takes the books up to the second part of the 14th c. and beyond
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_darkside (View Post)
OMG, I just realized I still haven't finished ADWD I have a 100 pages left or so
finish it so we can discuss theories and stuff

Quote:
But now I'm reading a really cool novel that my friend lent me. Some call it "Polish AGoT" and maybe there's sth in it, it's set in 13th c. Poland during the regional disintegration and mostly focuses on the politics of the many dukedoms.
Oh that sounds interesting! Does it have a English translation?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
finish it so we can discuss theories and stuff
yes ma'm!
Quote:
Oh that sounds interesting! Does it have a English translation?
no, it was only published in June and I don't know if a translation is even planned but I'll let you know. I laughed how the English translation of the title would be similar to ASoIaF, because it's "A Crown of Snow and Blood" But I'm afraid it would be a little too confusing for outsiders, I'm sometimes confused who is who and I studied it there is just a ****-load of dukes and they all have maybe 3 different names
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga_darkside (View Post)
I laughed how the English translation of the title would be similar to ASoIaF, because it's "A Crown of Snow and Blood"
oh please let me know

Quote:
But I'm afraid it would be a little too confusing for outsiders, I'm sometimes confused who is who and I studied it there is just a ****-load of different dukes and they all have maybe 3 different names
oh I'm used with being confused with books. My bad memory doesn't help me memorize things so I usually have no idea what the hell is going on
Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
oh I'm used with being confused with books. My bad memory doesn't help me memorize things so I usually have no idea what the hell is going on
well ASoIaF still have way more characters and I'm sometimes tempted to use wiki but I don't want to get spoiled (it's enough I'm spoiled about the main character's fate, that's what sucks about history books ) and I was so proud of myself when I remembered correctly that one character dies in 1278 another problem with translating the book would be that there's no exposition, you're just thrown in the middle and at least we know the basics about what's going on from school but damn, I don't remember when was the last time I was that excited about a book