Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

All sorts of players being released.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Yes, and I guess I should ask... what do you guys think of the Peterson situation?

I am conflicted so I really don't have an opinion. I could make a case for both sides.

I do know this... Vikings fans don't want him back... at all. The majority of Viking fans want him off the team permanently. I think it's the culture within a culture bit. Since Minnesota is in the north, what he did to his child is viewed in a certain way. As a result, Viking fans don't want to forgive him. The vast majority, anyway. People understand that Peterson views things differently based on upbringing and his culture within a culture. But that doesn't change the northern culture concerning this. I was shocked when I studied several polls and analysis about this. I thought the Minnesota nice bit would come into play and he'd be given another chance. That is not the case. Now that doesn't mean that if he returns he'd be booed forever. But as of right now, Minnesota fans wouldn't lose any sleep if he was released today.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM
Master Fan

I think Peterson really hurt himself by not showing up to his NFL hearing. I get he didn't believe he had too, but at that point sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it anyway. Now instead of maybe coming back this year he has a undefined suspension that could go on into next season.

I'm not sure how I feel about him yet. On one hand, parents should be able to decline their children. BUT what he did clearly crossed the line. I don't care how he was disciplined as a child what he did to his kid was too much and he needs to realize that. Sometimes he sounds like he gets it but most of the time he doesn't seem remorseful at all and that worries me. I have no problem with him giving his kid a spanking, but beating him is a whole different story and I am still not sure Peterson understands the difference. It's sad on so many levels because clearly that's how he was raised and to think he was so used to it that it seems okay to do it to his kid is sad.

Don't get me wrong I am from the south. I got spankings with a belt and my grandparents even told me to go cut a switch. But those were always used over my clothes. Not directly on my skin and NEVER did they draw blood, NEVER. That's what worries me about Peterson....will he do this again? Or has he learned it was too much the last time?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I didn't even know what "cutting a switch" was until the Peterson case. I think that's why people in Minnesota just want him gone because they don't understand. Notice how your reaction is it's normal and it IS because of the culture within a culture. It's so foreign up here just like it's foreign for people down south to learn that northerners usually run to your Grandparents for a hug after you did something wrong while your parents yell or tell you to get to your room. lol I went into the woods one late afternoon after my mom told me not to go there. I did it. I came home and my mom and dad looked so ticked. I went to my Grandmother for a hug and then was told by my mom to get to my room where I stayed for about three hours. However, I overheard my Grandmother after about an hour telling my mom my dinner was getting cold and she should think about ending the punishment. I did have it easy come to think of it, but hey, I am a very responsible adult who is so scared of the law I never even get speeding tickets. I didn't need a form of Peterson's punishment to stay clear of turning into a criminal.

I am not sure Peterson truly gets it. Like you said, even though he's from the south, he still went way too far. Yes, not showing up for that meeting was lame. I bet the bottom line is he'll be suspended for the rest of the season (that will stand even after his inevitable appeal) and when he can finally play again, he will be finding a job elsewhere, quite possibly in the south where he'll receive more understanding and acceptance.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This fan post makes alot of sense...

Quote:
Klinsmann has systematically beat out all of the intangibles that people admire about the USMNT. The fight, the togetherness. Resorting to the old American stand-by of effort when Klinsmann promised a better way, then failing at that and blaming MLS? Bunkering in worse than we ever did during the Arena and Bradley eras? Not once in my entire life have I thought "they didn't do the best they could do" when watching this team, and you have to think key errors like not bringing Donovan and not starting Beckerman against Belgium (leading to probably the most statistically one-sided match of the entire World Cup knockout matches) were the manifestation of this coaching weakness. The players did all they could, the coaching has never been up to par. But call Klinsmann out? Well you're just a neaderthal American, and you just don't understand maaaaaan.

In an attempt to "Europeanize" US Soccer some people involved are ignoring what makes the US stand out in the first place. I'd rather have the fight than the talent, because the fight gives you a chance even with inferior talent. Talent without the fight, you have Portugal, England, underachievers, and the US has never been about underachieving.

Bradley or Arena would've done a better job with these guys, made better choices. Instead we're playing guys from the 2nd Bundesliga who aren't fit to play for the Nats, not even in a meaningless friendly. Plug in American players blindly from the 4 remaining MLS playoff teams and you'd have gotten a better effort and better result than what happened today.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those thoughts should be in a picture frame with gold surrounding the outer portion of it. This person gets it. Great thoughts and I truly believe the higher ups are finally understanding this as well. I've been saying that forever about trying to European-ize our American team and what a flop that will always be. We are American, we have our own style and always have. We are not weak, we are strong and fight to the finish. JK is trying to turn us into that weak, underachieving team like England and Portugal instead of playing to our strength which is fight until the very end with team chemistry that overtakes everything else. Miracle on ice is a prime example of Americans playing our style and winning. JK doesn't understand our culture in general (his accent should be perfect by now, for crying out loud) let alone our American soccer culture. It doesn't need "transformed" in the least. It needs promoted, building off our core existence instead. I wish Bob Bradley coached this team still. I would bet the farm we'd be a million times better.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I wish Bob Bradley coached this team still. I would bet the farm we'd be a million times better.
Totally agree! JK single handedly ruined the team and the legacy of so many of our veteran stars.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Totally agree! JK single handedly ruined the team and the legacy of so many of our veteran stars.
Just watch what he'll do to Clint. You can already see it happening.

He took our captain in Boca and made a complete fool out of him. He took Landon, the greatest American player, ever, and used and abused him with his son even getting in on the fun.

Clint's next. He's shown he doesn't know how to properly play Bradley either.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich1111 (View Post)
Just watch what he'll do to Clint. You can already see it happening.

He took our captain in Boca and made a complete fool out of him. He took Landon, the greatest American player, ever, and used and abused him with his son even getting in on the fun.

Clint's next. He's shown he doesn't know how to properly play Bradley either.
He's already doing it to Clint and he's doing it to Michael as well. It's worse for Michael who is younger and had many years left to help our team.
It's all very frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Vikings picked up Tate. I guess they're really planning on life without Peterson. Not that Tate is AP. But the two present backs have been fairly good. Why get Tate if that's the case and AP is coming back no later than next season? I think this is a sign that Peterson won't be with the purple in 2015.

Last edited by jediwands; 11-20-2014 at 05:57 PM
Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
He's already doing it to Clint and he's doing it to Michael as well. It's worse for Michael who is younger and had many years left to help our team.
It's all very frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time.
His fire will burn out sooner rather than later. These dictators don't last. It's like astrologically speaking... A Leo needs Air or Mutual Fire to keep that fire going. That fire goes near earth and it's smothered, it goes near water and it is put out.

Think of JK having to deal with the higher ups and many fans who are all Water and Earth signs. He's not going to be able to last much longer.

Mark my words... He will NOT be the head coach of this team at next World Cup.

Last edited by jediwands; 11-20-2014 at 06:00 PM
Old 11-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

Peterson now showing remorse....coincidently after he was suspended by the NFL and Goodell cited his lack of remorse as a reason why. Not saying he doesn't feel it, I just wish he had done it before.

Adrian Peterson, suspended Minnesota Vikings running back, apologizes for physical abuse of son - ESPN

And this is why I am in the profession I am. What a story. So inspirational.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11909407

Last edited by cowgirl08; 11-21-2014 at 12:26 PM
Old 11-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl08 (View Post)
Peterson now showing remorse....coincidently after he was suspended by the NFL and Goodell cited his lack of remorse as a reason why. Not saying he doesn't feel it, I just wish he had done it before.

Adrian Peterson, suspended Minnesota Vikings running back, apologizes for physical abuse of son - ESPN
I know it. I don't think you can truly feel sorry for something that you still don't think was wrong. I think his upbringing still circles around him and he needs to work through this in order to see the severity of his actions. There's that aspect for sure. So I think this not showing remorse is real and makes sense because he doesn't know how to properly act or feel when he still hasn't worked through why it was truly wrong.

I truly don't think he is remorseful yet in other words. Doesn't mean he's a bad person. It just means he needs to tackle this from top to bottom but before then, he's almost going to be like a robot, walking around doing and saying what is expected without emotion and even the emotion he shows will be forced.

Quote:
And this is why I am in the profession I am. What a story. So inspirational.

'E:60' - Catching Kayla - ESPN Video - ESPN
What an incredibly heartwarming story.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Master Fan

Yeah. Peterson will no doubt be back in the league somewhere again and rebuild his reputation through actions, not sure any words at this point will do the trick.

Watching Texas Tech on ESPN3 right now in Women's NCAA soccer tourney. Second round vs Auburn. Let's go girls!!! Tied 1-1 in second half.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Sweet. How'd the game turn out?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread