Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

FNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
Yay I'm so glad you finally woke up and came to your senses! :slap: Thats for taking so long! But yes better late than never *squee* its going to be fun watching you go on this epic ride, just like with Chuck but they are completely different shows so FNL hit you with a different wave of emotions. I know you are going to love it!
Yes, except for Tim/Lyla since right now I want to vomit? LOL.

I am loving the quality, the sports story, learning about southern culture and football since this is very foreign to me. The writing, directing, acting, is amazing. I still think overall Everwood is a better show but FNL is really, really close. I only say this because I loved every character of Everwood from the start, right away, even with all their faults whereas on FNL I want to pound a couple so far.

1.05 here I/we come.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

127 Hours
I just watched this movie and if you have not heard about it its a true story about the hiker who was trapped in a canyon. It goes through his thought process and shows how he survived...its just amazing. I've never been so into a movie there were seriously parts were my hands didn't leave the sides of my face and my mouth was hanging open for 10 minutes at a time. Honestly had I not been talking to Mitch on AIM while watching I doubt I would have left that position the whole movie. Its very intense and sooo inspiring left me with goosebumps. James Franco did an amazing job showing exactly what this man was feeling throughout the whole process. Its a little graphic in parts but its definately worth watching.

FNL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Yes, except for Tim/Lyla since right now I want to vomit? LOL.

I am loving the quality, the sports story, learning about southern culture and football since this is very foreign to me. The writing, directing, acting, is amazing. I still think overall Everwood is a better show but FNL is really, really close. I only say this because I loved every character of Everwood from the start, right away, even with all their faults whereas on FNL I want to pound a couple so far.

1.05 here I/we come.
Yeah what they did in the beginning was so wrong it really gave fans some characters to dislike....and thats all I am saying. LOL

Yes the quality is amazing I have a hard time comparing it to Everwood or even Chuck just because all three shows are so different. But I get what you are saying thats why I fell for FNL so hard it was the first show since Everwood that has that little something something.

Wait soooo you liked Madison? I think someones nose is growing!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

127 Hours

Quote:
I just watched this movie and if you have not heard about it its a true story about the hiker who was trapped in a canyon. It goes through his thought process and shows how he survived...its just amazing. I've never been so into a movie there were seriously parts were my hands didn't leave the sides of my face and my mouth was hanging open for 10 minutes at a time. Honestly had I not been talking to Mitch on AIM while watching I doubt I would have left that position the whole movie. Its very intense and sooo inspiring left me with goosebumps. James Franco did an amazing job showing exactly what this man was feeling throughout the whole process. Its a little graphic in parts but its definately worth watching.
Yes I can't help but distract you a bit with my insanity, right? LOL.

Where and when did this true story take place?

FNL/Chuck/Everwood

Quote:
Yeah what they did in the beginning was so wrong it really gave fans some characters to dislike....and thats all I am saying. LOL
Come on, say more, dude, you can do it.

Quote:
Yes the quality is amazing I have a hard time comparing it to Everwood or even Chuck just because all three shows are so different. But I get what you are saying thats why I fell for FNL so hard it was the first show since Everwood that has that little something something.
Yes, for sure.

There's a handful of characters on FNL I like a lot... but there's a handful I would love to take out as well. LOL. There's a wide gap for me at the moment, not much in between. I think that's actually the motive by the writers though. It's being set up a certain way deliberately.

The thing with Chuck is it's in another category separated from the other two because it's so refreshing and fun in every episode. Sometimes the other two drown you with the drama (even if Everwood was a master at getting in the comedy at the precise moment something dramatic was transpiring) but Chuck is always fun in some way, you are cracking up over something. There's this "chilling out" pill you take while watching the show. I love that aspect so much.

Quote:
Wait soooo you liked Madison? I think someones nose is growing!
Well, the thing is I don't really count her as a main or important character so I kind of forgot about her and even remembering now I've decided she doesn't count.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-06-2011 at 12:25 AM
Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I Its a little graphic in parts but its definately worth watching.
Is that the story of the guy who had to cut his own arm off?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came to a new series on Showtime. It was the fourth episode of a show called Episodes. It's a joint British/American effort and is pretty funny. I have Showtime on Demand, so I watched the first four episodes of Episodes. It's a half hour show.
Has anyone seen this show?

Watch Matt LeBlanc in the 'Episodes' Trailer
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Master Fan

127 Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
Is that the story of the guy who had to cut his own arm off?
Yes ma'am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Yes I can't help but distract you a bit with my insanity, right? LOL.
Story of my life.

Quote:
Where and when did this true story take place?
Its a true story about Aron Ralston a hiker who got pinned inside a canyon in Utah in 2003.

FNL/Chuck/Everwood

Quote:
Come on, say more, dude, you can do it.
I could do it yes but then you wouldn't have to suffer through it like the rest of us and where is the fun in that? Just like with Chuck its a ride that is better when you don't know what is coming....just think about your rewatch with Chuck, I know you knew small things but if you had known all the major twists and turns it wouldn't have been the same would it? FNL isn't the same type of ride but its still a fun show and it changes from season to season majorly by the last season it is almost a completely different show.

Quote:
There's a handful of characters on FNL I like a lot... but there's a handful I would love to take out as well. LOL. There's a wide gap for me at the moment, not much in between. I think that's actually the motive by the writers though. It's being set up a certain way deliberately.
Yes exactly if all the characters were as lovable as Matty then there wouldn't be a show. There has to be room for growth with characters thats what makes for great TV. Just try to give them the benefit of the doubt just like with a person in real life, not everyone gets on the right path from the start. With some it takes a few wake up calls to realize the path they are on isn't the correct one and eventually they change. What is happening with Lyla and Tim is wrong on many levels and I know you can't stand it...I was repulsed by it too but you can't crucify someone before its their time. Idk thats how I see it but it will be fun to see how you feel as the series goes on.

Quote:
The thing with Chuck is it's in another category separated from the other two because it's so refreshing and fun in every episode. Sometimes the other two drown you with the drama (even if Everwood was a master at getting in the comedy at the precise moment something dramatic was transpiring) but Chuck is always fun in some way, you are cracking up over something. There's this "chilling out" pill you take while watching the show. I love that aspect so much.
Agreed no matter how bad a day you have had you can turn the TV on at 7 o' clock Monday night for an episode of CHUCK and just forget everything but what is going on in Chuckverse. Just like you said its like you literally take a "chill pill." EW and FNL as you will come to find out both are more dramatic and soapy they are well made and done with great quality but its still that young drama type of show. With Chuck its more mature YES there is DEFINATELY drama in Chuck à la S3 and S4 but its with more serious situations....its drama but its drama that is different than that soap style drama.

Quote:
Well, the thing is I don't really count her as a main or important character so I kind of forgot about her and even remembering now I've decided she doesn't count.
Oooohhh no she didn't! You went there eh? I think we ALL know that without Madison EA never would have made it. Sure they might have gotten together but they both needed that season to grow into people who were ready for love. You can compare it to S3 of Chuck...S2 of Everwood was the same in that people hated seeing the love interests for the main couple but as hard as it may have been to watch it was necessary for them to get together and WORK in the future. S3 of Chuck was all about the growth of CS and S2 of Everwood was all about the growth of EA...hard to watch at times but necessary. Granted for me I LOOOVED my girl Madison so it was much easier for me to watch than say the plank of wood Shaw.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Elite Fan

Friday Night Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
Yes, except for Tim/Lyla since right now I want to vomit?
Yeah. In the behind the scenes feature on the season 1 DVDs, Minka Kelly said that when she read the scene where Lyla and Tim kissed she was like "Well, now everyone's going to hate me."

Quote:
I still think overall Everwood is a better show but FNL is really, really close. I only say this because I loved every character of Everwood from the start, right away, even with all their faults whereas on FNL I want to pound a couple so far.
I don't know. Personally, I'd put them on even footing at least, and FNL may be just a bit higher. Both series were excellent, and both series had storylines I could have done without, and both series had storylines that I out and out hated: Everwood had Andy cheating with the invalid's wife, and FNL had the storyline you haven't got to yet. The reason I say that FNL might be a bit higher is that they flow naturally. This is high school and characters that you like graduate and leave, and new characters come into the picture and become as interesting and beloved (almost) as the old ones. Plus, FNL has one of the most diverse extended casts of any TV show I've ever seen (as you'll see as you get into the series more).

Quote:
In the first season, right off the bat I liked Saracen, Street, Coach Taylor, Tammi Taylor, Lyla, Landry, and Julie. I didn't like Tyra, Riggins, Smash, Buddy Garrity, or Street's mom and dad. By the end of it, I'd changed my mind on everyone except Street's mom and dad. I never really liked them at all.

Quote:
What is happening with Lyla and Tim is wrong on many levels and I know you can't stand it...I was repulsed by it too but you can't crucify someone before its their time. Idk thats how I see it but it will be fun to see how you feel as the series goes on.
Maybe I'm a bad person or something, but I wasn't repulsed by it. I liked Lyla, so I was disappointed in her, but I wasn't as ready to burn her at the stake as everyone else was. I understood that it was wrong, and I didn't in any way support it, but I understood how she let it happen, even if she shouldn't have.

Quote:
Oooohhh no she didn't! You went there eh?
Obviously it takes more than Ellie Bartowski to take all the Madison hate out of her.

I am 3 episode into the third season on my own personal FNL rewatch, and the main thing I'm taking away from the show, aside from how awesome it is, is how much I miss Smash's mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came to a new series on Showtime. It was the fourth episode of a show called Episodes. It's a joint British/American effort and is pretty funny. I have Showtime on Demand, so I watched the first four episodes of Episodes. It's a half hour show.
Has anyone seen this show?
I've heard of it, and I've seen several ads for it on Showtime, but I've never watched it. I'm sure at some point I will, but I haven't made time for it yet. Right now the only Showtime television shows I watch are Shameless and Californication. And I'm slowly catching up on Dexter.

On a side note: Happy Chuck Day all!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

First things first...Happy Chuck Day!

Friday Night Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)

Yeah. In the behind the scenes feature on the season 1 DVDs, Minka Kelly said that when she read the scene where Lyla and Tim kissed she was like "Well, now everyone's going to hate me."
Yes! I remember that interview I was like yeah poor Minka but she IMO acted Lyla in a way that it made her likeable or atleast you felt for the girl.

Quote:
In the first season, right off the bat I liked Saracen, Street, Coach Taylor, Tammi Taylor, Lyla, Landry, and Julie. I didn't like Tyra, Riggins, Smash, Buddy Garrity, or Street's mom and dad. By the end of it, I'd changed my mind on everyone except Street's mom and dad. I never really liked them at all.
Yeah you pretty much hit my list as well. I know Tyra wasn't making the best of decisions in the beginning either but I just couldn't help but love her, she was my girl from the beginning all the way through...you mess with her I will cut you. I think a large part of that had to do with the actress who plays her she just really played the character well.

The ones that annoyed me early on were definately Lyla she was just so delusional but at the same time I felt almost guilty for liking her....again I blame the actress.

And yeah Riggins while he was yummy eye candy wasn't my favorite in the beginning but not to far in he became one of my favs, he is just so hilarious. Honestly reminds me a lot of my brother.

Quote:
Maybe I'm a bad person or something, but I wasn't repulsed by it. I liked Lyla, so I was disappointed in her, but I wasn't as ready to burn her at the stake as everyone else was. I understood that it was wrong, and I didn't in any way support it, but I understood how she let it happen, even if she shouldn't have.
Like I told Mitch you cant crucify them before its their time. Like you I knew it was wrong and didn't support it or enjoy watching it but at the same time I understood that both particularly Lyla were in a state of shock.

Its hard to talk about them back then knowing how all the characters grow and how some dont LOL but yeah.

Quote:
Obviously it takes more than Ellie Bartowski to take all the Madison hate out of her.
Haha right. *sigh* some people will never learn.

Quote:
I am 3 episode into the third season on my own personal FNL rewatch, and the main thing I'm taking away from the show, aside from how awesome it is, is how much I miss Smash's mom.
OMG I Know right Smash's mom is the best. Her first scene in S1 is hilarious when she walks in on Smash and Tyra I loooove her!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
OMG I Know right Smash's mom is the best. Her first scene in S1 is hilarious when she walks in on Smash and Tyra I loooove her!
I loved how when she went outside Tyra just assumed that Smash's mom was going to drive her, but she just says "You're okay to walk from here." Classic.

One character I never really liked, but just tolerated was Tyra's mom. Mindy turned out better than I expected, but Tyra's mom just never clicked for me.

Also, found a good article that is obviously spoilery if you are still in season 1 (this means you Michelle).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...-marriage.html
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Excellent article, Alan. I don't care if I was spoiled (a little)
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I was watching the clips that are posted online for the series finale, and I got spoiled for a major plotline in the finale, but it was one I've suspected all season, so it wasn't that bad.

On a side note, other Firefly fans here might enjoy this. I'd heard this thing about Han Solo in Firefly before, but here's an illustration of it.

geek with curves: Han Solo's in Firefly?!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Master Fan

Friday Night Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I loved how when she went outside Tyra just assumed that Smash's mom was going to drive her, but she just says "You're okay to walk from here." Classic.
BAHAHAHA YES! That's when I was like okay we need more of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
One character I never really liked, but just tolerated was Tyra's mom. Mindy turned out better than I expected, but Tyra's mom just never clicked for me.
Mindy really did grow so much didn't she? This season has been great for her. Yeah Tyra's mom is different she is that quintessential "trailer park" momma. She does have her moments to shine every once in awhile in there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Also, found a good article that is obviously spoilery if you are still in season 1 (this means you Michelle).
LOOOVED this article. The Taylors will live on as the best TV marriage ever in my eyes. Its fun reading about how the show is made, Ive know it was freestyle like that since the beginning but its always neat to hear about how the actors changed things up just like in that scene they talked about in here. I agree any producers out there dreaming up a new show should take note of how FNL was done. From the directing to the acting to how it revolved around relationships/emotions...its how TV should be.

A few of my favorite parts and these are spoiler free Mitch so feel free to read these...but STAY AWAY fromt he article as it does spoil a lot as it goes through the seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
"Everybody's best foot forward," which means the executive producer who had two children and built a life with his high school girlfriend isn't interested in creating false conflicts or high drama. His characters, like him, are trying their best.
Quote:
"I find that most people if they're acting mean, they're coming from a place of fear, so to me these people of Dillon, Texas, are people who are trying to make their lives better, and even when they make mistakes, they are trying so hard," Katims(Producer) said. "I think most people are trying very hard, and I find that compelling in life, and I find it compelling in my shows.
I think these two excepts pretty much sum up what we have been saying about giving these chracters )Tim/Lyla currently for you Mitch) a chance. Just like in life everyone makes mistakes but it doesn't mean they are terrible human beings, it doesn't mean they arn't trying. Yes what they may have done can be terrible but it doesn't necessarily make them bad people.

Quote:
Chandler and Britton are too. But when asked how they feel when viewers hail the Taylor partnership as the best representation of marriage on television, their brotherly-sisterly bandying begins, reminding us why we're going to miss them. (Chandler is starring in a J.J Abrams' flick, "Super 8." Britton said she hadn't booked a new job.)

Chandler: It's a lie. The best portrayal of a marriage on TV, after I've gone through this entire diatribe about marriage, is "All in the Family." When Edith goes "Archie!" — that was the best marriage ever.

Britton: I would have to disagree with you. I think [the reporter] means something different.

Chandler: That's the way marriage should be! That's the way mine is.

Britton: When people say to us it's the best portrayal of a marriage, I think they feel it's resonant with them. I don't think there are a ton of people who feel that marriage resonated, Kyle.

Chandler: It's the best marriage ever.

Britton: They feel guided by our marriage. Was that show entertaining to watch? Yes.

Chandler: You don't see my lounge chair in the Smithsonian, do you?

Britton: What's really flattering and astonishing is when people come up and say, "You make me want to be a better wife and a better mother." I think that's kind of astounding.

Chandler: No one has ever said that to me.

Britton: I certainly would hope not.
This just shows how these two actors really MADE Tami/Coach Taylor what they were. Their banter in real life is exactly what we see on screen......which is all a product of the freedom given to the actors in shooting the show.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

127 Hours

Shelby, how big was Treat Williams' role in the movie?

I'd like to see it one of these days. James Franco is such a weird actor, heh, but he's good.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Master Fan

Of yeah I meant to mention that Treat was in the film. The only person in this movie who has a big role is James Franco who plays Aron. With exception to a couple other hikers he meets for a breif time in the beginning its just him the whole time. Aron(played by Franco) has these flashbacks and then some are like flash forwards actually but Treat is in a couple of them as Arons dad.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the info, Shelby. I hope he played a good dad this time, heh. Poor guy seems to get typecast as a not so great dad.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Closed Thread   Post New Thread