Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Right? I never even realized until I just looked back that the stupid story technically started in S8 and didn’t officially conclude until the first couple episodes of S10. Absolutely ridiculous. The actors wanted no part of it which is what blows me away. I’m not saying the actors had the power to dictate the writing; but still, if anyone understands the characters, it would be the actors, and all six of them despised the storyline. Why go there? Ridiculous.
You could kinda see that on screen too, since Joey and Rachel had absolutely no romantic chemistry.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
That was probably the best way to approach it. I fell hard for Ross and Rachel right away, and never stopped. LOL. I thought Monica and Chandler was a nice surprise but didn’t ship really, I just went along for the ride. I had a soft spot for Joey and Phoebe.

So I was into it.
I thought the show was funny and cute. I liked R/R but I wasn't diehard. MC bored me tbh.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Precisely. I think most diehard book fans do not love the movies. I don’t really know how you could because they are completely different. Sam can jump in here because he knows exactly what I’m saying as he hates the movies as much as I do. I think that if you are very passionate as a book fan, there’s no way you can fully appreciate the movies. The only way would be if you make an effort to say they are completely different and the movies give maybe a slight glimpse of the world, but as a rule, they aren’t even close to the books. Like if you can separate that is one thing. But you really hit it… as a rule if you haven’t read the books and just watch the movies, most people enjoy the hell out of the movies.
So without boring you guys what is the biggest thing you hate about the movies? Is it changes in the story or the actors they chose for the characters?

Quote:
That makes complete sense. It’s kind of what we’re talking about with Harry Potter in a weird way… if you read the books it is difficult to fully love the movies. They are a different beast. If you have watched and loved the original Roswell, watching Roswell New Mexico for most has to be very frustrating. But I could see if you just watch Roswell New Mexico and know nothing about the original and the classic characters, you could enjoy the series without any knowledge. But then again, like you said, I think it’s more intense for Harry Potter just because the books are classics but you know what I mean using this loose parallel.
I think Sam has watched the Roswell New Mexico show but not the original. So he most probably would see us being weird with hating on the new show . I think a lot of fans that have watched only the new show love Michael/Alex. That is actually the biggest ship for the new show from what I have seen.

Yes you cannot compare Roswell fandom to Harry Potter books fandom in terms of people. I would say given how small Roswell show, it is a pleasant surprise that the show has such following so many years later. However yeah that small amount of people that loved the show are very much loving it to a point where the new show would not stand a chance.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:46 AM
Master Fan

About Friends I also was not big on the shipping. I watched it mostly for fun. Not that I have hated Ross/Rachel or Chandler/Monica. Just I was not very invested in them. I did not see Friends as a show where I follow the romantic story and get invested in it. I mostly saw it as a sitcom and treated it almost as a sitcom with standalone episodes and was there for the laugh.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I just wish they never played with Michael amd Maria in the new show. The minute they cast a black woman to be Maria, they decode she is disposable. That turned me off the whole show.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Yeah, if anything i feel like monica and chandler should have just been a quick fling and nothing serious.... where neither of them had genuine feelings. But i guess the fans really liked them, or maybe they would have been.
It was kind of initially set up that way too. But yes, I guess the fans liked them.

Quote:
I am okay with pining and angst, so it didnt bother me that rr didnt get the m/c storyline and stuff, but it could have been cute/funny had r/r been sneakling around the second time and had the engagement and all that stuff instead, for sure. But, even if m/c still had that, RR should have had their own more deeper plot going rather than random crushes on each other here and there for multiple seasons.
Yes, RR should have evolved and had the ongoing plot. Every season you saw they were still not over each other but feel they should have done much more to slowly evolve the story instead of generally forgot about it in those middle seasons and then revisit later on.

Quote:
Come to think of it, how funny would it have been had joey and phoebe hooked up the way monica and chandler had instead? but i guess they were always supposed to be the sort of goofy characters? idk.
I would have loved that. Of course Phoebe was pregnant then during London time so it would have to be later, haha. But that would have been awesome. A random hook up and aftermath would have been great.

Quote:
Yeah sure! Lets do that....
Okay! So basically 106 and 107 starting this coming Friday for a week. I am weirdly swamped at work the next couple of days so I will watch 106 and 107 Friday/Saturday, around that time.

Quote:
I did watch 106 already though. I will prob. watch 107 this weekend or early next week.

This ep was a bit of a bummer ep after this week. From what I remember, I am trying to get to ep 10 lol.

BF hanging out in the beginning was great. Ben getting so close to Felicity/almost kissing her, come on! You can't tell me he wasn't thinking about it with how he was looking at her lips???? Then the door moment? Like, sirrrrr back up.... lol. I def. think at this point Ben was thinking about Felicity as a bit more than a friend....

Felicity rewriting the paper was INSANE! Girl why! A few words or even a sentence, sure, but dang, not the whole paper! Poor Ben. With that said, I do think he slightly overreacted in the way he yelled at her in the hallway... He was pretty mean, but I think its understandable because hes thinking he could get expelled.

Couldnt they have gone straight to the teacher and just said that they wrote the paper together? I thought Ben had the right idea to try to learn the paper and then memorize what was written, but that's obviously too hard if he doesn't even understand some of the words or concepts.

Noel was sweet to try to get more info for Felicity. It was also sweet to go to Ben to try to help out. He's a good guy and its obvious he does care a lot about Felicity. But its a bit of a pattern here... Felicity pining for Ben and doing wacky things, Ben being wish washy, and Noel just chasing after Felicity lol...

Blair is sweet and persistent but idk, I'm not really feeling that relationship. They kinda skipped over the starting stages and I wanted to see them maybe as friends first getting to know each other before they immediately jump into this dating storyline.

Same with zach/julie... Zach is cute ish, but idk I am not really feeling the chemistry there. They dont seem to fit together imo.

Ben revealing he didnt write the paper was ughhhhh. Though, I suppose it was the right ting to do. Then Felicity did the right thing too coming in and admitting ehr role, but idk, they could have done this in a better way? I feel like it was unrealistic that they weren't at least suspended. I am glad they weren';t but it sucks Ben's original paper was a B paper, and now they both get F's. Don't really blame Ben for being upset with her still...

Also, I got asked out on a date by this guy that I met at the dealership when I took my car in... he is very nice and we click over text but i am feeling really anxious about going on a date and anything that might follow afterwards. Why am I like this???
Will respond when I watch!
Old 02-20-2024, 09:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Also, I got asked out on a date by this guy that I met at the dealership when I took my car in... he is very nice and we click over text but i am feeling really anxious about going on a date and anything that might follow afterwards. Why am I like this???
Just saw this. LOL.

Oh no. What does your gut tell you? Did you set up the date yet? I would say to take it very slowly and don't think too much about the future, just the present. Do it your way and how you feel comfortable.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
You could kinda see that on screen too, since Joey and Rachel had absolutely no romantic chemistry.
SO true. None. It was so completely obvious. I was astounded over the tiny portion of Joey/Rachel shippers. There were some, not many, but how? LOL. I will never understand.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I thought the show was funny and cute. I liked R/R but I wasn't diehard. MC bored me tbh.
They kind of bored me too. :/ Good way of describing it.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:08 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
So without boring you guys what is the biggest thing you hate about the movies? Is it changes in the story or the actors they chose for the characters?
Not accurate.

1. Many missing key moments.
2. Characters, most not even identifiable.
3. Completely destroyed the ships.
4. Ginny was entirely inaccurate.
5. Hermione getting Ron's lines.

It just was not accurate at all.

Quote:
I think Sam has watched the Roswell New Mexico show but not the original. So he most probably would see us being weird with hating on the new show . I think a lot of fans that have watched only the new show love Michael/Alex. That is actually the biggest ship for the new show from what I have seen.

Yes you cannot compare Roswell fandom to Harry Potter books fandom in terms of people. I would say given how small Roswell show, it is a pleasant surprise that the show has such following so many years later. However yeah that small amount of people that loved the show are very much loving it to a point where the new show would not stand a chance.
Oh yes!

Exactly. Not comparable.

How did Max and Liz conclude on Roswell New Mexico?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
About Friends I also was not big on the shipping. I watched it mostly for fun. Not that I have hated Ross/Rachel or Chandler/Monica. Just I was not very invested in them. I did not see Friends as a show where I follow the romantic story and get invested in it. I mostly saw it as a sitcom and treated it almost as a sitcom with standalone episodes and was there for the laugh.
I thought RR was set up as a meant to be pairing, even from the Pilot it was super obvious. But I can see how for many it was a sitcom and the romantic pairings were way secondary.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I just wish they never played with Michael amd Maria in the new show. The minute they cast a black woman to be Maria, they decode she is disposable. That turned me off the whole show.
Infuriating.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Legend:

He was one of my mom’s favorite actors. We watched all his movies together.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yes. I felt like they cast Maria to tick of a checklist and say - we need diversity and woman of color, let it be Maria. And that’s it. There was however zero interest or efforts to actually develop Maria as a character or incorporate her in the story. I mean no need to create something unique, just following the original show would give ideas.

In the end of the day the effect was reverse - instead of making us appreciate the diversity, we were just turned off on how much Maria was ignored.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Not accurate.

1. Many missing key moments.
2. Characters, most not even identifiable.
3. Completely destroyed the ships.
4. Ginny was entirely inaccurate.
5. Hermione getting Ron's lines.

It just was not accurate at all.
Weird creative choice. Why did they choose to deviate so much from the books?

Quote:
Oh yes!

Exactly. Not comparable.

How did Max and Liz conclude on Roswell New Mexico?
I have not watched after Season but per Internet this is how the show ends:

1. Michael and Alex get married
2. Isobel and Kyle start romance
3. Maria starts relationship with someone that I don’t think existed in the original show
4. Liz proposes to Max, he accepts but then he has to leave for his own dying planet to save it

So that’s the ending. In other words the show even could not get that it is not Michael and Alex the main paining, it is Max and Liz.

Roswell New Mexico is like an alternate universe non ca non fic and not a good one at that if you ask me.