Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Tos, I'm so with you on the cocky smile, I hated it. I can see it in my mind right now, it's that visible because it was the one thing I took out of that scene. It's like Ephram was saying "Ok I technically forgave you but I'm giving this smile to prove that I still have this hanging over your head, dad, and I like it that way. "

It was just weird how Greg put in that smile and he's too good of an actor for it to be a mistake which I almost wish we could blame it on that.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I was conflicted with this scene to be honest. I get what you guys are talking about regarding Ephram's cocky smile. I remember seeing that and thinking "Then why the hell are you stating you feel like you forgave him a long time ago?" It was weird, indeed.

For that matter I was always conflicted over how I felt the fall out went down between Andy/Ephram. At times I thought Ephram was punishing Andy too much and other times I felt like Andy really didn't fully comprehend how much he hurt Ephram.

Although I do think their scenes during the camping trip at the beginning of season 4 were outstanding as the dialogue between them was very important to the "new beginning" for this father/son pairing.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverPotter (View Post)
Tos, I'm so with you on the cocky smile, I hated it. I can see it in my mind right now, it's that visible because it was the one thing I took out of that scene. It's like Ephram was saying "Ok I technically forgave you but I'm giving this smile to prove that I still have this hanging over your head, dad, and I like it that way. "

It was just weird how Greg put in that smile and he's too good of an actor for it to be a mistake which I almost wish we could blame it on that.
I was thinking it must be the direction. I just can't imagine Greg deciding to do it. Of course, Perry Lang is a fantastic director, so I don't know what happened there either. It's always bugged me. I think it must be something intentional in there as a reason for Andy to look away and put his head down in guilt/pain, but the speech is enough, easily.

Quote:
Although I do think their scenes during the camping trip at the beginning of season 4 were outstanding as the dialogue between them was very important to the "new beginning" for this father/son pairing.
Ooh, someone transcribe those sometime, please! I have no idea where I put those episodes. *pouts*
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Master Fan

Gum stealin'!!! 408, So Long, Farewell...:

Harold: "So do you realize, that at this very moment, we could've been spiraling down towards earth praying to God that our parachutes would open?"
Andy: "Here we are shopping. Not exactly the same level of excitement is it?"
Harold: "Hmm, perhaps not, but I for one am thrilled that we came to our senses. Although the idea of enthusing a bit of danger into the ennui that is our daily routine does still titillate."
Andy: "Oh, I'm sure we'll think of something."[Looks at a row of gum and whispers] "Do you remember number three on the list?"
Harold [Looking around nervously]: "Yo-yo-you're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting. Are you suggesting?"
Andy: "The heist."
Harold: "The heist."
Andy: "The big one."
Harold: "The big one."
Andy: "Yeah." [Picks up a pack of gum]
Harold [Taking the gum]: "Oh, sweet Betsy. Juicy Fruit."
Andy: "Hmmhmm. Well?"
[Harold shakes his head]
Andy: "Come on, Harold. Don't let me down. This is the heist of a lifetime." [Motions towards the door]
[Harold puts the gum in his jacket pocket and walks towards the door]
[Andy gets a big honkin' smile on his face]
[Harold walks into the counter, gets himself together and smiles at the cashier]
Andy: "Go. Go. Go! Go! Go! GO!"
[Harold runs out the door]
Andy: "Just put that gum on my tab, will ya?"
---

OH GOD! Yeah, it totally doesn't work in quotes or the way I did it, but that scene is genius! Harold gets this look when he realizes what Andy is thinking like he's about to commit the worst deed of his life. He looks like a scared little boy. And you just KNOW this is his first time doing this, and he's so scared! And Andy, this huge smile on his face when Harold isn't looking, building this up to Harold as the biggest crime ever. Tom Amandes and Treat Williams NEED a spin-off! I demand it!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Agreed.

I think that scene between Andy/Harold is priceless, one of the main reasons being that it emphasizes both of their classic personalities. As a result it's just so much fun to watch. Another thing about that scene is the topic at hand and how we're still so very entertained. They are bantering over something so insignificant and yet we're embracing their interaction like it's going out of business. The point is they're so engaging it doesn't matter what they're doing or saying, we're automatically interested. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:02 PM
buffyannAlex

Agreed with youo both and about a Andy/Harold spin off !!!!
Those two are simply amazing together and those scenes are absolutely priceless !!!!!! *goes to rewatch some scenes*

Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Master Fan

321 Oh the Places You'll Go

Amy[in grad robe]: Hey.
Harold: You look radiant.
Amy: Thanks. But, um, I'm supposed to be there two hours early so we should probably get going.
Harold: Yup. Absolutely. Let's hop to it.
Amy: Is mom..
Harold: She's sleeping. Sweetheart, she just felt so tired all of a sudden. Urged her to take a nap and...I just don't think we should wake her.
Amy: No, of course not.
Harold: So Bright's going to stay here in case she wakes up and needs anything. But you and I, we can still..[beings to cry]
Amy: Dad.
Harold: I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.
[Amy hugs him]
Harold: Sorry. Sorry sweetie.

----

Not really the greatest dialogue or quotes, but Harold trying to keep strong for Amy, and then just breaking is so heartbreaking that I often think of this scene for Harold moments.

And of course, this leads to one of my favourite moments of the whole series, which is Amy doing the graduation at home for her Mom. Oh, that kills me. Probably the proudest I've ever been for a fictional character.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 AM
buffyannAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
And of course, this leads to one of my favourite moments of the whole series, which is Amy doing the graduation at home for her Mom. Oh, that kills me. Probably the proudest I've ever been for a fictional character.
I know what you mean.
This whole music montage at the end of the episode with the graduation at home and Andy sitting at the graduation alone were really great moments of this episode
I loved this whole ending. The episode was one of the most heartbreaking of the series, IMO.

And you're right on about this scene. It's not so much the words he uses. They're so insignificant in a way that makes the whole scene even more raw and touching, if that makes sense. He's trying to hold it together in that moment that was suppose to be an incredible family moment and then, it's all about tragedy. It's wonderfully dramatic. and of course, Tom plays it perfectly.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Part-Time Fan

that scene leads me to tears every single damn time.

i always loved Harrold/Amy relationship and that scene is probably the best ever. what should have been a glorious day (especially for the poor Amy) was shadowed by tragedy. and dear god, these actors get to me every time as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Héla
i always loved Harrold/Amy relationship and that scene is probably the best ever. what should have been a glorious day (especially for the poor Amy) was shadowed by tragedy.
Yep and this was a constant with Amy. So many accomplishments of hers were consistently encompassed by tragedy. I think this theme was one that made her into the strong and independent person she turned out to be so there was a huge payoff as a result.

I love Harold/Amy just as much as Andy/Ephram. Both father/child pairings were spectacular.

Tom/Emily had so much chemistry on the screen! Like the scene you posted, Tos, such drama and heartbreak then observe the scene whenever Harold/Amy are having tea together and Harold's trying to talk Amy out of having sex when instead, it backfires and she's more sure of wanting to be with Ephram all from Harold's words, which frustrates Harold completely.

The point is Tom/Emily could do both intense drama and comedy together and they surely made Harold/Amy so special to watch as a result.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
And you're right on about this scene. It's not so much the words he uses. They're so insignificant in a way that makes the whole scene even more raw and touching, if that makes sense. He's trying to hold it together in that moment that was suppose to be an incredible family moment and then, it's all about tragedy. It's wonderfully dramatic. and of course, Tom plays it perfectly.
Oh, he so does. And what I like, as you said, it's not so much about the words. Because for this scene, there are no words. In real life, we don't always have beautifully written dialogue, and we're at our weakest moments, when we're at our breaking points and when we're watching a loved one go through something like this, we never have the words. Of course, on a show you can't always have that, but this scene is totally about not knowing what to say or not being able to say anything, but just breaking down. It's so real.

Quote:
i always loved Harrold/Amy relationship and that scene is probably the best ever. what should have been a glorious day (especially for the poor Amy) was shadowed by tragedy. and dear god, these actors get to me every time as well.
I think that's really interesting about it being one of the best Harold/Amy scenes, because we see all these scenes where they, again, have the words and have meaningful and memorable talks, but yeah, the tragedy around this and the acting, and the reality, it really does put it up there.

Quote:
Yep and this was a constant with Amy. So many accomplishments of hers were consistently encompassed by tragedy. I think this theme was one that made her into the strong and independent person she turned out to be so there was a huge payoff as a result.
And at this point, you really see the strong and mature Amy. She takes a tragedy, and she turns it into something almost beautiful when she does the mini-graduation. Unlike what she had done with some of the other tragedies, it shows that growth and maturity to be able to turn it around even for just a moment.

----

Just a little one from 422 Foreverwood

[Andy and Delia light the second last candle at Delia's Bat Mitzvah]
Delia: Dad, could you stay up here with me for a second?
[Andy nods]
Delia: My Mom and I used to talk about what this day would be like. I always thought the three of us would be up here together. But I feel like she's watching us right now. I hope she knows that she's still a part of us, everyday. And she always will be. Mom, this candle's for you.
[Delia and Andy light the last candle]
Old 06-20-2007, 01:36 AM
buffyannAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwood Mascott (View Post)
Of course, on a show you can't always have that, but this scene is totally about not knowing what to say or not being able to say anything, but just breaking down. It's so real.
Exaaaaaaaactly. This is what I hate with TV sometimes when you have people giving gigantic monologues about how life sucks but you feel nothing because, it's just...too much and unreal. The reality is much more harsh. When someone you love die, you don't necesseraly give this speech about how this is the worst pain of your life but you know you have to move on. No, you're just being human and being like Edna "don't go". It's simple AND real. and yes, this is TV and we like that people are smart and giving wonderful speeches but sometimes, it's not necessary. the acting itself is enough.

Quote:
Unlike what she had done with some of the other tragedies, it shows that growth and maturity to be able to turn it around even for just a moment.
Very well said and true. This experience made her grow, for sure. And she's acting very differently than from season 1 and the whole Colin thing. which porves that.

Quote:
Just a little one from 422 Foreverwood
funny I rewatched this scene yesterday and almost forgot how nice and beautiful it was. Vivien has really grown as an actress too.

Thanks for posting.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
In real life, we don't always have beautifully written dialogue, and we're at our weakest moments, when we're at our breaking points and when we're watching a loved one go through something like this, we never have the words. Of course, on a show you can't always have that, but this scene is totally about not knowing what to say or not being able to say anything, but just breaking down. It's so real.
Definitely. And that's what this show classically exhibited throughout, realness. People can relate to this show because it never seemed scripted or problems weren't tied up in a nice, perfect, beautiful bow that screamed fake and unrealistic. Things were kept so real and natural, thus, so many felt a sense of comfort tuning in because it wasn't as if at times you were even watching a show, it's like you were brought straight to these "moments" and they felt so familiar and moving.

The power of Everwood was like no other.

Quote:
And at this point, you really see the strong and mature Amy. She takes a tragedy, and she turns it into something almost beautiful when she does the mini-graduation. Unlike what she had done with some of the other tragedies, it shows that growth and maturity to be able to turn it around even for just a moment.
Absolutely true, you see her growth in excess.

Matter of fact, in a way, Amy and Bright did 180s if you compare the Colin tragedy and their mothers illness.

During the Colin saga, Amy was the one without a sense of maturity while Bright (outside of breaking down about the car accident in itself which was a normal reaction) handled things a lot better overall than Amy did.

Fast forward to Rose having cancer and Amy tackled it with a new sense of maturity while it was Bright having more visible problems with it.

And I love that Delia/Andy quote about Julia. That was so very sweet. Staying with the growth theme, look at how far Delia had come since season 1 regarding her mothers death? Miles.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Master Fan

Bumping this up mostly to see if anyone has anymore great quotes. I'll be adding a few more again, so it's also a reminder for me to do it.

And just a reply to something Alex said (great thoughts too, Michelle ) that is springing something from my head.

Quote:
Exaaaaaaaactly. This is what I hate with TV sometimes when you have people giving gigantic monologues about how life sucks but you feel nothing because, it's just...too much and unreal. The reality is much more harsh. When someone you love die, you don't necesseraly give this speech about how this is the worst pain of your life but you know you have to move on. No, you're just being human and being like Edna "don't go". It's simple AND real. and yes, this is TV and we like that people are smart and giving wonderful speeches but sometimes, it's not necessary. the acting itself is enough.
Well said, Alex . Obviously the long speech is a television convention that pretty much can't be avoided, especially in a show like this, but Everwood picked the right spots to say "no" to that convention and to instead go with simplicity and realism. And that's kind of what made these moments even more impactful. It's rare to see them on television and although it was not as rare to see them on Everwood, it felt special and added an extra kick to a scene for them to know when to not go with a monologue.

Even when it was tempting. I'm sure these writers could have written a wonderful speech by Harold here about Rose, or a great scene between Amy and Harold with wonderful dialogue that is such a signature of the series, but they knew to restrain themselves and hand it pretty much over to the actors.

Treat talked about this on the commentaries, that the writers let the actors play with what they wrote and change it or eliminate it for the sake of the scene, even if its something the writers really cherished that was eliminated.

Alright, next time, I'll have a quote to post.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 AM
buffyannAlex

Last edited by jediwands; 04-14-2021 at 09:47 AM

Closed Thread   Post New Thread