Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Tos, to answer your question about Franken I think Minnesotans are really without a huge opinion on him at the moment. They just want to wait and see how he behaves. Actually, Minnesotans despised Coleman's actions in that heated mess. Franken clearly won months ago and Norm kept going and going with the counting and Minnesotans saw him as dragging it out senselessly. People felt the election was over and he was wrong to keep it going whenever deep down he knew Minnesotans spoke and he lost, the democrat got in because this is a liberal state and it's just the way it is. LOL. The minute Coleman got so chummy with Bush was whenever he lost this election. I can't tell you how important that was with Minnesotans who are liberal to the core, you do NOT do that. LOL. So it could have been Franken or any other democrat, this was more about Coleman losing it than Franken winning it for Minnesotans. They wanted Norm out and a democrat in there. As far as how they feel about Franken they are taking a wait and see approach. Either way they'll like how he votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSUSA (View Post)
Thanks for that article, Mitch.

I knew she was back too, she was never leaving,

If she thinks she has a shot at the presidency she really is delusional, I have to say. LOL.

I love that her son is not a republican as well. YAY!

Yes, Palin has a plan right down to every detail I believe.
Yeah.

Alex found this and I had to bring it over. I know this guy obviously has a motive but I find it interesting anyway.

Levi Johnston: Sarah Palin Resigned Over Money | Levi Johnston, Sarah Palin : Just Jared
Quote:
Levi Johnston: Sarah Palin Resigned Over Money

Earlier this month, Sarah Palin announced her resignation as governor of Alaska. Now, her former future son-in law (and father of her grandson) Levi Johnston is speaking to Today about it:

On how Palin had discussed quitting before: “She was talkin’ about how [being governor] is a very stressful job. After the campaign and things, we had tons of offers, from everybody out there; just all kinds of ridiculous things. There had been talk about, ‘It’d be nice to just take the money and run.’”

On the rumors that Palin is getting a $7 million advance for her book: “I’ve heard anything from $7 million to $9 million. It’s up there.”

On Palin changing after she lost the last election: “[She wasn't] as outgoing. I didn’t see the spark in her eyes about being governor… The fame got to her head. Just being up there and running for vice president, it’s totally different than governor. There’s cameras every day, she had secrets service… You name it. Seeing how she acted when it was all gone, I think it definitely got to her head.”
Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for all the articles, Mitch.

Levi is not holding back his thoughts but you're right, Michelle, he does have an angle. For certain he does. I do think what he's saying is probably true even with that angle because lets face it, he was around them and he knows a lot. I don't know if it's too appropriate to be talking about it but that's another issue all together. The media will ask it's up to him to say if it's appropriate or not. Nevertheless, his words are fun to read no matter what because I like to dislike Palin so it goes along with this.

About Franken... I am so glad he got in, obviously. Hee.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Yeah, it seems like this Levi dude has a motive and probably, yeah, he is telling the truth for the most part but who knows, I don't know why he is yapping about it in the public like this. You hit it right when you said is this even appropriate? Like I was telling Alex today because he has a handsome face the American media will talk to him as long as he is willing to give an interview and that is the sad fact here. On the other hand he probably feels burned in some way since he claims he was treated inappropriately so he is ranting. I think all around it's really difficult to gather who is telling the truth, who is not, since the story is probably slightly altered on both sides. I do remember wondering how long those two would last romantically since it seemed so doomed. You felt this right away.

The one thing I forgot to add about the previous article was:

Quote:
McCain said he believes Palin will play a major role in politics, telling NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that "she has the ability to ignite our party and to galvanize us and get us going again and give us a strong positive message."
That said, McCain declined to endorse a Palin for President campaign.
"We've got a lot of good, strong, young, attractive, articulate spokespersons for our party and our principles," McCain said, citing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.
I found it interesting how McCain said he wasn't sure about backing Palin since there's other candidates and he mentioned Romney and Huckabee. Well why didn't he pick either for vice president back when everyone thought he would? So Sarah was a strategy and now that it's not a benefit or tactic for your own self gain you are backing off? Oh a bit of a rip and maybe too critical but for some reason I feel the need to stick up for Palin here and rip McCain. LOL.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I honestly think that Levi should really keep his mouth shut at this point....even if what he is saying is true....this is really disrespectful on his part.

As far as Sarah running for president....most of us hadn't heard about her until she was selected to run for vice president. At that time she really appeared to be too uninformed (polite for dumb) to be a good VP. How could we even consider nominating her for President?
Seriously, I'm sure democrats would love it if she ran....It would guarantee their victory.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I honestly think that Levi should really keep his mouth shut at this point....even if what he is saying is true....this is really disrespectful on his part.
You're right. Alex even told me today she was utterly shocked over his comments because you would never hear this in France, ever. Mixing politics with entertainment was something else she was shocked over, how he went on a talk show like this and talked politics and combined personal comments like that. Only in America. LOL. Though I told her I remember how the British media was relentless in their attacks of Prince Charles and Princess Diana and it's sort of similar to this in that you would see Diana basically make fun of Charles in public and the media ate it up, stuff like that.

Maybe this is another bond between the US and England?

Quote:
As far as Sarah running for president....most of us hadn't heard about her until she was selected to run for vice president. At that time she really appeared to be too uninformed (polite for dumb) to be a good VP. How could we even consider nominating her for President?
Seriously, I'm sure democrats would love it if she ran....It would guarantee their victory.

To be honest like I stated in a past post I feel that Palin has been so ripped inappropriately at times, I find myself sticking up for her a lot. Admittedly there is something about her that intrigues me and in the right position in office I think she could do a world of good.

Also, the main reason why McCain disturbs me somehow with his comment is that by picking Palin as your running mate you are also saying that Palin WAS good enough for President since that's the Vice President's main job in a way, you know? To be able to step into the position of President right away should the President not be able to do so either chronically or temporary. So McCain picking Palin last year should have meant he felt confident that she could be President and by him not picking Romney and Huckabee infers he thought Palin was better suited as a potential President. So now he is saying in a way that Huckabee and Romney are more preferred almost if that makes sense. He is kind of making himself look a bit bad but I think too much so maybe I need to shut up now.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-13-2009 at 06:02 PM
Old 07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
So McCain picking Palin last year should have meant he felt confident that she could be President and by him not picking Romney and Huckabee infers he thought Palin was better suited as a potential President. So now he is saying in a way that Huckabee and Romney are more preferred almost if that makes sense. He is kind of making himself look a bit bad but I think too much so maybe I need to shut up now.
I kind of think that McCain over estimated Palin....he thought that her looks and manner would win over the voters. After time went on....she kind of flubbed several interviews....that's when I believe that McCain and his managers regretted selecting her...but then it was too late.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I kind of think that McCain over estimated Palin....he thought that her looks and manner would win over the voters. After time went on....she kind of flubbed several interviews....that's when I believe that McCain and his managers regretted selecting her...but then it was too late.
I wholeheartedly agree. Absolutely. I think this probable reasoning is what makes McCain look even worse because you said it, that seems to be the reasoning as to why he picked her which shows he had an agenda to win, not so much to pick someone who was totally qualified and ready for the job. Of course McCain is not the only one guilty of this. Both sides are doing dirty things or things that are not totally noble or correct just to get the extra edge and the W.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)

Also, the main reason why McCain disturbs me somehow with his comment is that by picking Palin as your running mate you are also saying that Palin WAS good enough for President since that's the Vice President's main job in a way, you know? To be able to step into the position of President right away should the President not be able to do so either chronically or temporary. So McCain picking Palin last year should have meant he felt confident that she could be President and by him not picking Romney and Huckabee infers he thought Palin was better suited as a potential President. So now he is saying in a way that Huckabee and Romney are more preferred almost if that makes sense. He is kind of making himself look a bit bad but I think too much so maybe I need to shut up now.
It is a new law that you are never to think you ever need to shut up.

I completely agree with everything you said here, right down to every word. Only someone with such a great psych mind would see this because McCain doesn't even see it since he said it. It's very true he looks like he's admitting his reasoning for Palin was anything but for the best person as second in command for this country. Sure, he's not the only one doing this but I entirely see why it disturbs you that he made the comment.

What also disturbs me is the thought of Huckabee possibly running again. That dude scares me. Romney, even all ultra conservative would suck but he at least is less scary than Huckabee. I believe Obama would destroy either of them anyway having said that.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Tos, to answer your question about Franken I think Minnesotans are really without a huge opinion on him at the moment. They just want to wait and see how he behaves. Actually, Minnesotans despised Coleman's actions in that heated mess. Franken clearly won months ago and Norm kept going and going with the counting and Minnesotans saw him as dragging it out senselessly. People felt the election was over and he was wrong to keep it going whenever deep down he knew Minnesotans spoke and he lost, the democrat got in because this is a liberal state and it's just the way it is. LOL. The minute Coleman got so chummy with Bush was whenever he lost this election. I can't tell you how important that was with Minnesotans who are liberal to the core, you do NOT do that. LOL. So it could have been Franken or any other democrat, this was more about Coleman losing it than Franken winning it for Minnesotans. They wanted Norm out and a democrat in there. As far as how they feel about Franken they are taking a wait and see approach. Either way they'll like how he votes.
Thanks for the answer. I hope that he does a great job for the state. As you said, as long as he votes like most of the Dems, he'll be fine! And he can get as chummy with this president as he wants!

Enjoying all the Palin/McCain talk. I haven't really been following it so closely, so I'm just enjoying what ya'll are saying!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I have to say Huckabee scares me, too. Big time. See, I am a total liberal through and through but there are some Republicans that I think to myself sometimes, "He or She might not be so bad" and I really do mean it. But Huckabee is not one of them, man. I remember reading his beliefs and views and it was borderline terrifying to me, especially his social conservatism. He made Palin look socially liberal by comparison. I was thinking we were living back in the days where women couldn't vote whenever I heard what was coming out of his mouth. Yeah, I have to say I wouldn't like that pick in the least. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Thanks for the answer. I hope that he does a great job for the state. As you said, as long as he votes like most of the Dems, he'll be fine! And he can get as chummy with this president as he wants!
True, true. Obama is so loved here I can't even explain how much. Though Hillary was huge, too. Minnesotans would have been more than satisfied with either President Obama or Secretary of State Clinton and to have them both as such high officials is a dream in this state.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Master Fan

Is anyone following the Sotomayor hearings? There was nothing on earlier this afternoon, and I watched about three minutes of it and that was all I could stand. BORING. And that's from someone that likes politics. I guess there's only so much that even someone like me can stand! Hee. I watched the highlights on Campbell Brown's "Mash up" feature, and even that was a little yawn-worthy, hee. Is MSNBC and FOX News showing round the clock live coverage of this stuff like CNN is? Because I can't imagine many people are sticking with it?

The thing about Huckabee is that he is so outwardly...normal. If you were just talking to the man or hearing him talk about normal things, there would be nothing at all extreme about him. But get him on some issues...whoo boy. But that's the dangerous thing about him being one of the contenders: he does have a lot of that old-school, folksy charm and he is actually pretty subtle about some of his more extreme views when he wants to be.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 07-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Is anyone following the Sotomayor hearings?
I watched a bit yesterday and they are so boring. I try to get into it but I can't. Franken was actually on yesterday so I tuned in. Of course he made everyone, including her, laugh. LOL.

Quote:
s MSNBC and FOX News showing round the clock live coverage of this stuff like CNN is?
I'm not exactly sure about FOX because I avoid that channel but MSNBC has covered it a little bit. Not constantly but somewhat, yeah.

Quote:
The thing about Huckabee is that he is so outwardly...normal. If you were just talking to the man or hearing him talk about normal things, there would be nothing at all extreme about him. But get him on some issues...whoo boy. But that's the dangerous thing about him being one of the contenders: he does have a lot of that old-school, folksy charm and he is actually pretty subtle about some of his more extreme views when he wants to be.
Absolutely. That is what's so scary about him because he comes off as this nice, down to earth guy, and maybe he is a very nice guy, I don't know. However, beneath his exterior there are some very intense views and feelings on the issues which are quite extreme. I know someone who is a conservative (yes there are a few in Minnesota but only a few heh) and even he is not a supporter of Huckabee. FOX News has him set up on that show or at least the last I heard they did. He attempts to come across as this casual and even modern guy and it's weird because his beliefs are so not that.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Some sad news in the world of journalism. The second video clip in the article is especially interesting about Walter's history.

BBC NEWS | Americas | US TV news legend Cronkite dies
Old 07-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Master Fan

Sad news, but he lived a long and great life from what I understand. Even though I wasn't really watching during his time of broadcasting, he's the guy that everyone still talks about. He was there for all of the major events in US history. Vietnam, MLK and JFK's assassination and tons more. He was the voice of the news for so long.

Michelle, do you think Huckabee will have much of a chance even with his folky charm? He seemed pretty small time in the last primaries.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Oh yes, he was one of a kind. His loss will be felt. I hear Brian Williams talk about him today, Katie Couric, he was special.

This quote says it all:

Quote:
Mr Cronkite's opinion was so trusted by the US public that when he criticised the war in Vietnam, President Lyndon B Johnson is reported to have said: "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America.
That was huge and yes he was trusted by Americans. There has never been nor will there ever be anyone quite like him. He was fabulous.

Quote:
Michelle, do you think Huckabee will have much of a chance even with his folky charm? He seemed pretty small time in the last primaries.
Exactly. Nah you said it, he didn't make a large dent in the primaries, I am not concerned. I also think the republicans, if they even have a shot at defeating President Obama (unless something drastic takes place and I don't see how it could take place even with luck and a rare event) they will have to go with someone way less conservative than Huckabee, I mean not extremely less conservative but someone less than he is. I also think they will need to get a fresh, new face in there. I don't even think Romney has a chance, maybe as a VP candidate but I don't see him as being a heavy contender. I believe they need some restructuring in the party and that will include new faces. I just don't believe moderates would quite frankly vote for Huckabee. Lots of moderates are socially liberal and either more economically conservative or homeland security conservative and that's just a very raw statement because it varies but when you have a Huckabee who is so socially conservative and many moderates are more socially liberal or slide more towards the liberal side in that regard, eh, he will not appeal to a large chunk of moderates in this category. Palin certainly didn't.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-18-2009 at 07:38 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread