Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I hate to say this but people love her looks (especially a certain group of men) so imagine her getting a gig on Fox News or something like that, I think the ratings would be quite high, very much so. I would even watch it even if I only agree with 5% of what she says. LOL.
There are an over abundance of blond reporters on Fox News. They could definitely use a brunette.

When Sarah was running for Vice President, she had family responsibilities. Her daughter was, however, engaged to her baby's dad. I don't believe that Sarah thought that they would break up. Now her daughter and baby are her responsibility.

About being free to run for President, I don't know. Do people start doing that this early?
Wouldn't someone have a better chance of becoming a candidate if they actively hold a political office?

I read recently that Sarah was receiving some kind of flack from the public in regard to her Down baby. I honestly believe that she's tired of her family being under public scrutiny and she needs a break. This is just my gut feeling.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 07-05-2009 at 07:51 PM
Old 07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Master Fan

I hope that you're right Betty and that she does take a break. Steps out of the limelight, and just focuses on her family. A lot of the media craziness is, of course, the media's fault, but Palin does put herself out there in interviews and with statements and creating her own drama. The media may not leave her alone, but I hope she'll step back and leave them alone.

I also think she'll probably try a run for the presidency, but there's no way that the GOP will go with her. She's split an already extremely divided and rebuilding party and that's great for the Dems, but there's no way the GOP is stupid enough to push her as the face of the party in 2012. She will never be taken seriously at this point, fair or not, and they know this. They know they have to get new faces out there, and combat a man that knows the issues like Obama with another person that knows the issues. Now, whether they have a chance when they're rebuilding to such an extent, who knows, but Obama had impossible to live-up-to hype, and he's not been perfect either.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 07-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
About being free to run for President, I don't know. Do people start doing that this early?
Not this early but around 2 years before you get the word out you are sort of interested. It's kind of a slow process. If she feels this is a possibility or some other job that takes her away from Alaska very permanently she might just want Alaska "taken care of" now well in advance.

Quote:
Wouldn't someone have a better chance of becoming a candidate if they actively hold a political office?
Well, she was running from VP as a governor that people thought she had no worthy experience as a result anyway. Especially given the fact that she is governor in a state that in many ways, is forgotten. One of my friends, she is super close to a British girl and I was with them fairly recently... anyway we got to talking and the topic of politics came up to which that lead to Palin and Alaska. The Brit goes, "I keep forgetting that Alaska is a part of the US, I feel like it's almost an Island or something, I feel so stupid." I go, "Don't feel stupid, I'm American and I feel the same way."

Back to the governor of Alaska bit... so it's like how much more can she do to pimp her resume as governor whenever people weren't too impressed in the first place? People thought if she was a senator that's a different story because senators are actively working in Washington, they are way more a part of the entire US as far as knowing, understanding, fighting for policies as a country, as a world.

Quote:
but Palin does put herself out there in interviews and with statements and creating her own drama. The media may not leave her alone, but I hope she'll step back and leave them alone.
Sure, it works both ways. Absolutely. I think she uses the media just as much as they want to pay attention to her. Catch 22. If she wants removed for real she will make herself scarce, it can be done, especially in Alaska.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

Outstanding topic, Michelle Great thoughts as usual.

I strongly believe she resigned because she wants a place in Washington, whether that be as president or in some form. I totally agree Mitch that she is calculated with this plan and she knows what she wants to do next, she is going for it. I hate FOX News but if she went on there she'd certainly be refreshing given those blondes are nothing to look at. That's sounds horrible, I know, and it's mostly because I cannot listen to any of them for more than two seconds. Men or women, on there. I rather hang upside down for 24 hrs before listening to anything Hanity has to say.

I do believe Palin has a plan politically and it is not on a localized level which is why she resigned. I also agree Tos the republican party won't accept her but if they should they are really delusional, they will not win with her. Ever. They are in so much trouble as far as what the country has been enduring due to 8 years of Bush, how many moderates turned to Obama, how they lost the election BIG TIME with a McCain who isn't even considered that conservative per se. They need tons of help getting their party back together. Tons.

That messy situation with her daughter and ex was so predictable, man. they were doomed before they even got started and you just knew it. There were the rumors of Sarah's husband, forget his name, oh Todd, paid Levi I think his name is, or tried to pay him off to give up all rights to his daughter and her son, it was all a messy situation. Though the dude looked stupid going out and yapping away about their personal situation so that Levi was lame himself. It was all a mess and just ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Time will tell what Sarah Palin's true motives are. Here is a cute Blog article about the resignation. Sorry it's from FOX news.

Quote:
FOX News Blogs » Team Washington
July 6th, 2009 8:24 AM Eastern
The Lighter Side: Sarah Palin Resigns Saying “It’s not you. It’s me.”
by guestcontributor

leighann-lord-r-w-photo-cre
By Leighann Lord, Political Comedian

As the country waits impatiently with arms crossed, and eye brows arched for South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford to resign over his marital infidelity and abandonment of his state, we were blindsided by Sarah Palin’s sudden resignation. “She what? Did she cheat on The First Dude? No? Then WTF?

I, like most of America, was caught unawares when John McCain picked Palin from relative political obscurity to be his vice presidential running mate. “Who? The Governor of Where?” And off we went to Wikipedia to get up to speed. I don’t know Sarah Palin personally. Perhaps if we sat down and chatted over a cup of coffee, it’s possible I might come to like her on a personal level. Politically, she’s way too socially conservative for me.

That said, I still dig Sarah in the same way that I dig Alan Keyes. I love that in the middle of the American media spin factory, they speak their minds. On some issues they even make sense, but not enough to earn my vote. They do however add to the diversity of thought and opinion that is necessary. My inner idealist believes we can agree to disagree. We can all speak our peace, come to some kind of mutual understanding and respect, and proceed on common ground with common goals. I’m also a Harry Potter fan, so I’m hopeful at heart. Sadly, my belief in magic is sometimes easier than my belief in my fellow muggles.

Still, I am floored that Sarah resigned. I never pegged her as a quitter. She impressed me as a fighter and in the best possible sense, a tough broad. She loves Alaska, and that’s why she’s leaving office? It sounds like her constituents just got dumped. The “It’s not you, it’s me” line, never feels good now matter how sincerely it’s said.

In theory, it’s sweet that Palin consulted her kids on whether or not she should continue as Governor but the legal voting age is 18 for a reason. Unless they’re putting food on the family table, I don’t really see how their vote counts.

This decision seems a particularly feminine one. I doubt a male politician – short of being caught visiting a call girl – would willingly resign because he felt he could no longer do his job effectively or because he wanted to save tax payer money.

I’m also not sure how resigning, positions her for a run at national office. The first question will surely be, “You quit your last job. How do we know you’ll keep this one?” It’s mildly refreshing, however, that she said she doesn’t need a title to effect change. Usually we have to pry a title from a politician’s cold dead hand. I think we all half expected former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich to barricade himself in the governor’s mansion post impeachment.

At the end of the month, Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell will assume the Governorship. I hope Alaskans have better luck with their newly promoted lieutenant than we New Yorkers have had with ours.

**Leighann Lord is a writer and stand-up comedian who has appeared on Comedy Central and HBO, and can be seen regularly in the FoxNews.com Strategy Room. Plus, click HERE to check out her website! **
Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Interesting article.. thanks for that, Betty.

I read this part and nodded big time:

Quote:
she’s way too socially conservative for me
Oh yes, I can relate there.

I do love how Palin speaks her mind, she is not scared of saying how she feels and I respect her for it.

As far as the whys behind her resignation, I still think Sarah is way too motivated to not have a plan here. What it is we just don't know yet.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was just watching "The View"....one of the luxuries I afford myself when I'm not working. I love their banter and arguing. I also love Whoopi Goldberb.

Anyway...they were going back and forth about Sarah Palin...and what I got from the discussion is that Sarah resigned early because she felt that she was costing the Alaskan taxpayers a lot of money. Apparently, there is some kind of tax investigation regarding Sarah (I don't totally understand it) and this investigation was very costly for the state.
So, maybe someone else understands that better?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I was just watching "The View"....one of the luxuries I afford myself when I'm not working. I love their banter and arguing. I also love Whoopi Goldberb.
LOL. Me too. Whoopi's outstanding. They really go at it on there. Sometimes it gets quite heated. Heh.

Quote:
Anyway...they were going back and forth about Sarah Palin...and what I got from the discussion is that Sarah resigned early because she felt that she was costing the Alaskan taxpayers a lot of money. Apparently, there is some kind of tax investigation regarding Sarah (I don't totally understand it) and this investigation was very costly for the state.
So, maybe someone else understands that better?
Really? I've never heard of this until now. Interesting. I'd love to find an article on it but I'm computer lame so not sure if I could come up with it on my own. LOL. I would love to read and try to interpret though should someone bring something over on it.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Really? I've never heard of this until now. Interesting. I'd love to find an article on it but I'm computer lame so not sure if I could come up with it on my own. LOL. I would love to read and try to interpret though should someone bring something over on it.

I don't know if this article is any help. It does mention some type of investigation that is a burden to the taxpayers.

Growing Criticism at Home Took Toll on Palin - WSJ.com
Old 07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the article, Betty.

Yeah, I'm still not sure about the investigation as to what she might have been accused of per se.

I read this, though, and even if I don't agree with her about 95% of the time when it comes to politics my heart sort of ached for her if some of this stuff is true. I got a sick feeling in my stomach hearing the talk about her son with his disability. Ok, if anyone remotely has made fun of her son with Down's Syndrome, that is downright sickening and those people should be ashamed of themselves. That irks me big time. There is playing dirty like both the democrats and republicans know how to do but this is dirty to a degree that is heartless, cold, completely evil. I cannot believe this possibly took place. I am sickened.

I have no clue if the part in the article that said it's possible there is something else that has yet to be exposed to which Palin is preparing for is true or not. Sometimes that does happen. People step down with the knowledge that they know they are about to go down or at the very least, something huge is coming up that could devastate their reputation so they do something about it before the you know what hits the fan. No clue if that is the case here.

However, as a woman I am quite disturbed in that while I understand it is fair game to attack the background of politicians, especially ones that could become President or Vice President of the United States I can't help but wonder if Palin was pounced on extra hard because she is a woman and that is the part where my feminism might be coming out a bit here. I think the gender inequality issue might slightly have been in play. Heck, Secretary of State Clinton has even insinuated before that both her and Palin endured some of this in the past after Palin brough this up. Hillary's remarks and silence by not denying it indicated she agreed with Palin without actually outright agreeing if that makes sense.

I do wonder if she has endured this huge backlash because of her gender. I know it's not all of it though. And it was fair game to go there but there is some extra type of boxing match going on here that seems to have me believe there is way more to the extra drama that has taken place since she accepted the Vice Presidential nomination. I hate bringing up her looks again but I think that was also a factor in that people loved to have a love/hate relationship with her. They were intrigued by her for maybe superficial reasons but at the same time they wanted to see her fall as well.

I am just babbling so I will stop now. I don't know if much of what I said makes any sense. LOL.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Dedicated Fan

Mitch, you always make sense.

I will touch on the Palin subject again but I wanted to say that you were right on, Mitch, about Al Franken winning in Minnesota! He was officially sworn in today and I remember how you said since Norm Coleman gave the Minnesotans hockey it was a touchy subject given the hockey love in Minnesota but you still thought Franken would pull it out since hockey love and all this state is liberal to the core. You were right on as Franken was sworn in which is beyond impressive. Not only does this rock but he was a VERY important vote now if you look at the numbers. Thank you, Minnesota.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

LOL. Yeah, it's cool he got in. Coleman held it up forever in the courts which people did not appreciate in the least. I think the clincher for Minnesotans was whenever Coleman stood so strongly by Bush in general. He was one of his strongest soldiers defending him constantly. Minnesotans thought, "Thanks for hockey, Senator Coleman, but this is just too much, we are liberals at heart, we need a change since we don't appreciate you so close to Bush." And that's what turned it away from the hockey and straight into politics alone. Thus, voting in the democrat, Franken.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Master Fan

Speaking about Franken, what do people think of him? Like..would they have preferred a better Democratic candidate? Hee. I mean, I'm sure he'll be fine and his satire was often political, but with how ugly the contest got by both men, what do people think of him?

ETA: You want to know how hilariously low-key Canadian politics is? One of the top stories of the day, at least for national politics, was about whether the Prime Minister took communion at a funeral, or whether he put the wafer in his pocket. Seriously. That's what makes for a major story up here. "PM ate communion wafer: spokesman" was one headline. Sometimes Canada is a weird, weird place to live in.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by 'Tos; 07-08-2009 at 11:55 PM
Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Oh man I knew Palin had a plan.

AOL

Quote:
Palin Says She May Stump Democrats Republican Governor Says She's Not Leaving Politics
WASHINGTON (July 12) – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she's not only staying involved in national politics, but she plans to jump back into the national scrum when she leaves office at the end of the month.
The former Republican vice presidential nominee said she plans to write a book, campaign for political candidates from coast to coast — even Democrats who share her views on limited government, national defense and energy independence — and build a right-of-center coalition.
"I will go around the country on behalf of candidates who believe in the right things, regardless of their party label or affiliation," she said during an interview published Sunday in The Washington Times.

Palin shocked critics and allies alike when she announced on July 3 that she would leave the governor's office while in the middle of her first term. The governor chose not to seek re-election and suggested it was unfair to hold onto the office as a lame duck. Instead, she will step down July 26 and pursue a national profile. She has not said whether she is building toward a presidential campaign for 2012.

Republican Women Federated of Simi Valley announced Palin was scheduled to speak to the group's private gala on Aug. 8 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California. The event — reporters will not be allowed to attend — will take place in an airplane hangar that houses a retired presidential aircraft Air Force One and will stir more questions about he curious resignation.

Palin defended the decision because "pragmatically, Alaska would be better off" if her state weren't spending time on ethical complaints against her. She also said the plan to resign had been in the works for months.
Her 2008 running mate disputed suggestions the telegenic and plainspoken soon-to-be-former-official was a quitter.
"Oh, I don't think she quit," said Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee in 2008 who plucked Palin out of near-obscurity and made her a household name. "I think she changed her priorities."
For now, though, Palin isn't detailing those priorities.
"I'm not ruling out anything. It is the way I have lived my life from the youngest age," she said in the Washington Times interview. "Let me peek out there and see if there's an open door somewhere. And if there's even a little crack of light, I'll hope to plow through it."

The self-described hockey mom plans to write a memoir but declined to discuss any potential deal for her to become a television commentator.
"I can't talk about any of those things while I'm still governor," she said.
Yet she's already reminding audiences of her bipartisan and family-oriented appeal.
"People are so tired of the partisan stuff even my own son is not a Republican," Palin said.
Like his father, 20-year-old Track Palin is registered as "nonpartisan" in Alaska, she said.

McCain said he believes Palin will play a major role in politics, telling NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday that "she has the ability to ignite our party and to galvanize us and get us going again and give us a strong positive message."
That said, McCain declined to endorse a Palin for President campaign.
"We've got a lot of good, strong, young, attractive, articulate spokespersons for our party and our principles," McCain said, citing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee.

I had a hunch she was itching to go more national and it seems to be the case. I love how her son is not a republican, I have to say, that TOTALLY rocks. LOL. I actually like the hints she makes that she wants to work with the democrats even if it's stipulated a bit she will work with those who are for limited government. Notice she does not deny a possible run for President, either.

We have not seen the last of her and in a way even if I don't agree with her politics in general, I am kind of glad because who knows what she can do? Maybe she will try to reach out to both sides? Maybe her son can help her with this?

Last edited by jediwands; 07-13-2009 at 07:10 AM
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for that article, Mitch.

I knew she was back too, she was never leaving,

If she thinks she has a shot at the presidency she really is delusional, I have to say. LOL.

I love that her son is not a republican as well. YAY!

Yes, Palin has a plan right down to every detail I believe.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread