Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Master Fan

Did you see Obama's speech tonight? Man, did he look angry and impassioned! Meow! This president has claws!

For Canada's part, our government passed our stimulus package just this week, with it not being through the Senate yet and...already there's talk that we'll need another one by June because the economic forecasts are getting more drastic.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Did you see Obama's speech tonight? Man, did he look angry and impassioned! Meow! This president has claws!
No, I was out and just got home. What did he say?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

He was hitting out against the critics of the bill who are saying this is a spending bill, and he said that it's supposed to be a spending bill, that's what stimulus is. He said this isn't a game, talked more about the consequences of not passing this bill, and saying that while he knows the bill is imperfect, enough is enough. That's all I remember, hee, but he was really hitting out against critics and Republicans and rallying Democrats, so...well, that bipartisanship sure lasted long, didn't it?

Here's an article if you wanted to read about it: At retreat, Obama goes on the offensive - Glenn Thrush and Patrick O'Connor - Politico.com
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This is also from Politico.com.

It sums up what President Obama had to do last night perfectly.

Quote:
By ROGER SIMON | 2/9/09 10:08 PM EST

Barack Obama has a tough act to pull off. He must simultaneously petrify people and also restore their confidence. He must scare us to death and calm our fears.

He must convince the nation that the times are so dire we must carry out his bold plans immediately, and then he must persuade us to be patient and give his plans time to work.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Master Fan

President Obama made his first trip to Canada today. It's been HUGE news all over today, with most of our news stations showing his trip and analyzing it all day. I go to an American station and it's not getting quite the same coverage, hee. He got a nice, warm reception with about 2,000 people at our Parliament Hill waiting to see him and one of our talking heads noticed that that was probably the smallest reception he's had in two years, showing how small our little country is.

Obama also messed up and called "Ottawa", "Iowa". Oops! But then he made up for it at the end of his press conference by emphatically saying that he "loves" Canada, which..well, is going to cause quite a stir to say the least. People love that kind of thing up here, and the reporters were all smiles talking about that line, and it'll make headlines tomorrow everywhere here. Not that he needs more support in Canada, as his approval ratings here are even higher than the approval ratings down there!

ETA: The reporters are still giggly and absolutely enthralled with this guy. It's pretty fun to watch. They just spent over five minutes talking about him going on an impromptu trip to have Beaver Tail (don't worry, it's a pastry not an actual beaver tail) before he leaves.

Last edited by 'Tos; 02-19-2009 at 02:09 PM
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Obama also messed up and called "Ottawa", "Iowa"
Don't get me wrong...I love Obama and am thrilled that he got elected.
But...If Bush had made an error like that...the press would be having a field day with it.
Mark my words...nothing will be made of this error.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Do any of you feel sorry for this guy?

JAILBIRD BERNIE ALREADY CRYING - New York Post
Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Do any of you feel sorry for this guy?

JAILBIRD BERNIE ALREADY CRYING - New York Post
In a word? No. Hee. 65 billion dollars. That's just insane. He should get the book thrown at him. Although I'm sure the sentences for white collar crimes, especially for one this major, aren't as severe as they could/should, but maybe that will change after what he did.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
In a word? No. Hee. 65 billion dollars. That's just insane. He should get the book thrown at him. Although I'm sure the sentences for white collar crimes, especially for one this major, aren't as severe as they could/should, but maybe that will change after what he did.
I think the book will be thrown at him. He will most likely die in jail.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I feel a need to vent a little. The world hated President Bush. The world supposedly loves President Obama. It seems that they love him until he asks them for something. The world claims that the fighting should be in Afganistan....not in Iraq (which I agree with).
So, when President Obama asked the world to help fight in Afganistan...he got outright refusals.
There are 5 countries fighting there now: US, Canada, England, Australia, Poland. Of course the Bulk of the troops are US troops....so the bulk of the casualties are US casualties. Frankly, I'm getting really tired of the US always carrying most of the responsibility and the bulk of the burden in these situations.

ETA: On the news tonight was shown a young Afghan girl being beaten because she spoke to a boy. It seems that all the progress that was made there has been reversed.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 04-06-2009 at 08:29 PM
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

Here's the wackiest thing about Afghanistan right now: there is a new law on the books that rape is legal in a marriage. A woman in Afghanistan cannot, legally, deny sex to her husband. This has been a HUGE issue up here, because what our soldiers have been fighting for, human rights. Is this awful law getting the same play down there? I haven't heard Obama talk about that at all, and it should be a major issue.

Quote:
I feel a need to vent a little. The world hated President Bush. The world supposedly loves President Obama. It seems that they love him until he asks them for something. The world claims that the fighting should be in Afganistan....not in Iraq (which I agree with).
So, when President Obama asked the world to help fight in Afganistan...he got outright refusals.
The world has essentially turned its back on Afghanistan. Collectively, most went to Iraq. Things have gotten so bad that the Taliban are actually being seen as saviors to some, while the government there is obviously not working for improving their country. It sucks. Hundreds of American troops have died fighting to improve the country, same with Canadian troops and British troops (and more, obviously), but their own government, who we have to be allied with, is reverting back to what Afghanistan was with laws like. It really does frustrate me.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Here's the wackiest thing about Afghanistan right now: there is a new law on the books that rape is legal in a marriage. A woman in Afghanistan cannot, legally, deny sex to her husband. This has been a HUGE issue up here, because what our soldiers have been fighting for, human rights. Is this awful law getting the same play down there? I haven't heard Obama talk about that at all, and it should be a major issue.
Yes, I have seen that reported on the news. It is just incredible. One Afghan man was interviewed and thought nothing of this new law....he just believed that this is how it should be....a man must be served by his woman...that is her duty and his right. Unbelievable!
I seems as if sex is huge factor in many of the believers of this religion.....a woman's duty to sexually gratify her husband.....dying (suicide bombing) in the name of your religion so that you can have sex with 7 virgins.....
Old 07-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I wanted to revive this thread and talk about Sarah Palin announcing she was resigning as Alaska's governor in the near future and what this might mean for her future or even American future. LOL.

The spec is she is doing this to make a serious run for the presidency (I cannot believe I just wrote this) and that is her main reason for doing so.

I personally feel it could be just that. I was reading some opinions on this after it was announced on a site and someone (a liberal) said Palin doing this and if it's true she is running for president in 2012 she just assured President Obama staying in office for 8 years.

I think I have to agree. As a liberal myself Sarah Palin is the best thing that happened to the democratic party in ages. The woman can shoot a basketball (I am very impressed over how good she was actually) and she is wise in some areas of politics but I could never see her qualified for the presidency now, or in the future. Hillary Clinton, she is not. So I believe if the republican party is going to go to battle with her as their potential leader they are barking up the wrong tree. It really is as good as giving the democrats eight full years.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jediwands; 07-05-2009 at 05:40 PM
Old 07-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My first thought is that I'm so glad that you reopened this thread, Michelle. You're the only one who can keep it active and your impute has been sorely missed.

My second thought is that I don't think that running for president is the reason that Sarah resigned as governor. I really believe that it has a lot to do with her personal life. I think that her life is overwhelming with a son with Down Syndrom, trying to help her teenaged daughter raise a baby, father of said baby mouthing off about her family in public, a talk show host (Letterman) mocking her daughter, etc.
I think that she really needs to focus on this stuff and being a governor is taking too much of her time and energy.
I really don't think that Sarah is thinking about running for president. I hope not!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks. I have always loved this thread and the interaction that goes on. Great fun because we also do not need to just discuss politics alone. We can discuss other cultures/countries, of course! There's many layers to this thread which is so much fun.

Yeah, that very well could be too. Btw I love Letterman comedically but I wasn't too fond of that bit and I'm glad he stepped it up and took responsibility for his joke that went way too far. It was unacceptable and he apologized, thankfully.

The thing I do have to wonder, though, is what would Palin have done had she gotten the VP job, you know? Didn't she consider that this might happen back then whenever she took the invite from McCain without hesitation?

A lot of people think if you believe in the theory that she is thinking of running since Alaska is so far away from Washington and in general it's just a state that is remote compared to all of the others minus Hawaii, she would know that she needed to spend tons of time away from Alaska, traveling really long distance so that was a factor in that she realized should she run for office, for any job located in DC she would have to stop the governor bit sooner rather than later especially when she got her hands dirty and really went for it. Back to the location issue... for example, Bush was governor in Texas while campaigning (I think, unless I just made that up but I remember when he was going against Gore in debates he was called Governor Bush so I assume LOL) but that wasn't a big deal considering Texas is centrally located here in the US, unlike Alaska, so Bush could handily run the state and focus on campaigning.

Yeah, it will be really interesting to see what develops here. It could be she's overwhelmed with all of her other responsibilities, it could be a possible run, or maybe she wants to do something else all together? Work more in television since she does have experience in this area. I hate to say this but people love her looks (especially a certain group of men) so imagine her getting a gig on Fox News or something like that, I think the ratings would be quite high, very much so. I would even watch it even if I only agree with 5% of what she says. LOL. Maybe it is entertainment, news, or something else she is going for? Maybe Senator? Who knows.

However, no matter what I think it is a calculated plan on her part in that while it might be she needs to breathe and step back I think I am with the theory that she knows what she wants to do politically next and it's not to continue on as governor in the future, well that is obvious of course by now. Heh. I believe there's a plan at hand but what that is has yet to be revealed. At the very least she is keeping doors open and as time moves along she will feel her way into what she wants to go with next.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread