Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisa C (View Post)
Taryn, did your daughter end up making brownies for you?
Yep! I had already made the mashed potatoes because I was taking potato salad to SIL's Saturday night and just made a double batch of potatoes while I was at it, but hubby and Dana did everything else, including yummy turtle brownies. It was a good day.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

What are turtle brownies? Just brownies in the shape of turtles, I'm guessing? 'Cause turtle-flavoured brownies wouldn't be too tasty, I'd imagine!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Addicted Fan

LOL!!! Have you never heard of turtle candies Louisa? It's a caramel, pecan, chocolate concoction that is yummmmmy. So turtle brownies are just brownies with caramel and pecans.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Master Fan

I've never had turtle brownies either, but they sound SO good. Just when you think you can't beat a brownie, you add caramel to 'em?

Is your husband a good cook, Taryn?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Is your husband a good cook, Taryn?
Yes, he is. There's a few dishes that he should probably just leave alone mostly because he's the experimental type and some things are just right the way they are, but 98% of the time his stuff is great. He used to win awards for his grilling, and I majorly suck on the grill so I'm happy to turn that over to him LOL.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Yes, he is. There's a few dishes that he should probably just leave alone mostly because he's the experimental type and some things are just right the way they are, but 98% of the time his stuff is great. He used to win awards for his grilling, and I majorly suck on the grill so I'm happy to turn that over to him LOL.
What are some of the dishes he should leave alone? Now you've piqued our interests, hee. Like, what does he do to the dishes that he probably shouldn't' be doing?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Oh, I don't know. Mostly experimenting with the spices or method of cooking for tried and true dishes I guess. Some flavors just do not go well together and he doesn't always have a knack for that, to be honest.

Also he tends to look at anything that grows in the garden as a vegetable, period, so sometimes his meals end up very starch heavy. Corn, black eyed peas, and potatoes all in the same meal for example - with no green veggies to balance it out. I like to serve a more balanced plate.

But hey, I'm truly just thankful that he is able and willing to cook sometimes, so I'm just nitpicking LOL.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Master Fan

Hee, yeah, you're lucky to have those as some of the problems with his cooking instead of having to watch the house burned down like some husbands would do.

Does he know your critiques of some of his dishes? Hee. What does he think about 'em?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 AM
Addicted Fan

Yeah he knows. Doesn't stop him from experimenting.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Yeah he knows. Doesn't stop him from experimenting.
Hee, good for him! What do the kids think of his experimental side?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Addicted Fan

The kids are...well, they're kids. LOL. They like things they are used to. BUT they've always been willing to at least try something new (unlike kids who flat out refuse to eat anything that's not a chicken nugget or a hot dog, kwim?) so sometimes they like what he fixes. Most of the time if it's too out there they politely ask if they can have a sandwich after they've tried a bite of everything LOL.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn
unlike kids who flat out refuse to eat anything that's not a chicken nugget or a hot dog, kwim?
Very much so. That was me. Especially the chicken nugget part. Yum!

Good for your kids trying the experiments before moving on to a sandwich. That says a lot.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Especially the chicken nugget part. Yum!
Do you have any idea what's in a chicken nugget, 'Tos? They can grind up any part of the chicken and put it in there. Use your imagination.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Addicted Fan

ROFL that's why I will only eat white meat only chicken tenders. Never have liked chicken nuggets.

We've raised our kids to know they *have to* have at least one bite of everything on their plate. It works out well for us.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Do you have any idea what's in a chicken nugget, 'Tos? They can grind up any part of the chicken and put it in there. Use your imagination.
No, I do not know, and I'd like to keep it that way, please. Let me have my delusions!!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread