Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
France's beef is so outstanding
What is it that makes their beef so outstanding? It's got to be the way they cook it because I think that the US is noted for their get cattle and beef.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

It's the quality and how it's free of preservatives and all of that other stuff... AND the French prepare and cook food like an art... a very long, timely situation which is also why their bread is tremendous and probably the very best in the world... all natural ingredients and they still make everything the old-fashioned way without chemicals, machines doing the work, etc. It's all carefully made by hand with the best, all natural ingredients.

Even the McDonald's in France has better beef than our McDonald's! LOL. It's just very, very different.

Here's some discussion on this regarding how different France's meat is:

Quote:
Beef, French-style.
August 11, 2005 4:54 AM
Why does my steak taste so good?
Quote:
Hsoltz and I are on our honeymoon in Paris, and we've noticed that the steak here tastes different than it does in the US, even compared to USian restaurants that seem to offer fairly traditional French fare. The beef itself seems to have a slightly different consistency, with a different "crust" on it, and the taste is distinctly "beefier."

Has anyone else exprienced this? And, any idea how I would replicate this difference once we get back to NYC?
posted by bshort to food & drink
Answers:

Quote:
It's all down to the quality of the beef, I'm afraid. I've never had steak as good as the ones I've enjoyed in Portugal or France in the UK or US.
posted by viama at 5:02 AM
Quote:
It probably has to do with the fact the Portugal or France cattle are grass fed rather then grain fed. You can read a great New York Times Sunday Magazine piece on how American beef is raised on grain. It ain't about taste it's about making more money. Power Steer - NYTimes.com
posted by doug3505
Quote:
Quality of the beef would be my guess too. France has it in spades free of anything that is not purely organic.

When you get back to the US look for free range beef or game meats like buffalo, elk and antelope. Most of the people I know that hadn't tried game meat like buffalo steaks and burgers. I prefer antelope.
Quote:
The grain-fed vs. grass-fed is probably the major contributing factor.
Quote:
Third thing I can think of is that the French are likely to serve different cuts than the standard meat-processing cuts used in this country, and so you're getting a different piece of meat when you order "entrecote du boeuf"
posted by briank
Quote:
Also consider that it's not unusual for steak in Europe to be parly cooked in butter. I'm not sure what the style is in the US. I personally find that when I cook some fillet steak in butter, I've got the perfect steak.
posted by wackybrit
Quote:
Yeah, it's definitely that the beef is better--at least organic, probably grass fed, almost certainly fresher. It could also be that the chef is cooking the steak at incredibly high temperature in butter. If you do this with steak at home--slather in butter, put in an incredibly broiler--you can get a similar effect.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's really interesting....I never knew this. So, the secret is to...feed the Cattle grass and cook it in lots of butter. You can't go wrong with butter.

Hear that, Cowboys?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
That's really interesting....I never knew this. So, the secret is to...feed the Cattle grass and cook it in lots of butter. You can't go wrong with butter.

Hear that, Cowboys?

I still think it's also a matter of taste though... take cookies for example... I know that some European cookies are quite good yet I cannot warm up to the taste because I am used to American cookies and I prefer those. The cheese, bread, and meat in France is outstanding in taste to me... and of course the crepes. But like France is also known for their wine being top quality... I am not a huge wine drinker as you know but I absolutely love our very own California wine as I feel like it is up there with France's endless wines. I bet if you blindfolded me and gave me three French wines and threw in California wine and I was asked to reveal which wine was my favorite there's a good chance that even if I found all four tasty I would possibly go with California because I am used to that taste and I like it very much.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)

I still think it's also a matter of taste though... take cookies for example... I know that some European cookies are quite good yet I cannot warm up to the taste because I am used to American cookies and I prefer those.
That's how I am too. Hubby doesn't get why I don't want to at least try foods that are way beyond what I am used to (like sushi.....gross) but in my way of thinking, why should I? What's so damn important about being able to say you've at least tried something? We'll go out to eat somewhere that serves stuff he's never tried before (like pan seared tuna) and he'll order it just to say he's tried it. I'd far rather stick to something I know I'm going to like, than take a chance of wasting our money on something that I don't.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

Never knew any of that about French beef either!

And, yeah, I don't like going into restaurants just to order something new for the sake of it either. I would eat the same thing everyday if it meant I know I would like it, heh. There's a difference between broadening one's horizons, and just experimenting for no real reason at all. For me, I did need some more variety in what I ate, or else I'd be eating chicken strips and fries in restaurants all the time until the day I died, heh. Still love 'em, though.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I went to Whole Foods while in Florida and they had samples of cheese. I bought one of them that was so delicious. It's called: Cave Aged Guyere..
Is this a French cheese?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Master Fan

Love Gruyere. It's Swiss (although my mother always uses it when she makes French onion soup, heh).
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
Love Gruyere. It's Swiss (although my mother always uses it when she makes French onion soup, heh).
It is so good. It's a hard cheese and has a little crunch in it....I don't know what that is.Yes, it would taste great in soup or shaved in a salad.
I know Whole foods is expensive....but this cheese was $17 a pound.! Needless to say...I bought a tiny piece.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
It is so good. It's a hard cheese and has a little crunch in it....I don't know what that is.Yes, it would taste great in soup or shaved in a salad.
I know Whole foods is expensive....but this cheese was $17 a pound.! Needless to say...I bought a tiny piece.
You mean to say that you didn't by the Whole Food?

*walks away quietly*

Is it a strong tasting cheese?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
*walks away quietly*
*Follows noisily with a stick!!*

Quote:
Is it a strong tasting cheese?
It's not a mild tasting cheese....but it's not one of those strong smelly cheeses, either. It has a tasty "kick" to it. It reminds me a little of fresh Parmesan in its texture.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
*Follows noisily with a stick!!*
*runs away frightened*

Quote:
It's not a mild tasting cheese....but it's not one of those strong smelly cheeses, either. It has a tasty "kick" to it. It reminds me a little of fresh Parmesan in its texture.
Sounds good! I hate the really strong tastes, but, yeah, a nice kick is good.

What is everyone's favourite cheeses?

I've got to go with mozzarella, personally. Now I want some.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
What is everyone's favourite cheeses?
Mmmmm, cheese. I. Love. Cheese. Favorite - well, that depends on what I'm eating it on/with, of course.

Good, sharp cheddar - goes well with sliced apples and/or saltine crackers; melted on toast with a sprinkling of garlic; on chili or tacos or other Mexican style foods

Mozzarella - goes well on or with anything Italian; sometimes like to eat it by itself

Provolone - also goes well with Italian or to eat alone; love to use it to make a panini with roast beef, spinach, onions, and horseradish

Pepper Jack - my favorite for burgers and sandwiches; makes a nice addition to a crackers and sliced summer sausage platter

Swiss - is great on top of a burger with bacon and sauteed mushrooms and onions

Bleu - a teensy bit is good melted on a burger or steak; tossed in a salad or Greek style pita sandwich

Feta - same as Bleu

American (the real stuff, not fake cheese) - melts and blends with other ingredients the best so I use it for dips; nice on burgers for the classic American burger; makes the best grilled cheese

Colby or Colby/Jack blend - good alone or on a sandwich; good with sliced apples or Mexican if cheddar is a little too sharp for your tastes

Those are the cheeses we use fairly regularly around here. Yes, we love our cheese.

ETA - timely thread. My 5 yo just told me he was staaarrrrrving and needed to eat a piece of "Pwovowone" before getting on the bus.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Cheese:

As I said earlier...I have gained a love for Gruyere.

As far as Mozzarella is concerned....I love Fresh mozarella...I eat it with tomatoes, basil and drizzled with olive oil.

I love Pepper jack cheese....anything hot and spicy.

I discovered something this year about Feta Cheese. There are different versions from different countries. I want to tell you guys that FRENCH FETA is the best. It is tastier than the GREEK version. (I'll bet Alex and Michelle would agree. )

Try it and let me know what you think.

I love Brie....especially baked with brown sugar/pecans on top. Yum.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Addicted Fan

I would love to try some Brie one of these days, that's one I've never tried.

I forgot to mention two! Parmesan, and cream cheese. We use cream cheese in a TON of things.