Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Total Fan

Hi! I just wanted to come by and post about last night's finale.
I have loved Everwood since I saw the first episode, the writing is great and it's overall a kick ass show. Though, I wasn't loving the finale. Yes the Bright/Ephram, Ephram/Amy, Bright/Delia, Dr./Dr, stuff was great and I loved every minute of it but I did not like the Dr. Brown/Madison stuff. I was really angry of what Dr. Brown said to Madison, even though he was really trying to protect Ephram. Madison in no way should go through this alone, and not have Ephram there to support her. I know that Dr. Brown was going to give her money, support and anything she needed but that doesn't cut it. If she does have the baby (which I highly doubt she will) Ephram should be there every step of the way. Even tho Ephram is not a man, Madison and Ephram need to face their consequences. I just don't think it would be right to not let Ephram know, their whole convo didn't sit right with me at all. I'm almost positive that Madison eathier decides to get an abortion, or she miscarriages.
Sorry for that little rant, lol. I just needed to get all my thoughts out on the finale.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Loyal Fan

I can't believe Dr. Brown asking Madison to just keep the baby quiet to herself. How selfish is that? I mean, I'm sorry, but it was both of their fault, and Madison has to be the one stuck with the consquences while Emphrah is out there living his life? Hell no, I was totally mad when he even asked about the baby and what she was going to do with it!

If Emphrah thought he was old enough to sleep with a girl, then he's old enough to be father. I'm just really sad for Madison, and sad that Emphrah and Amy won't get to be together, if Madison is really pregnant.

i support naley and bjl always and forever.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

i know emphrah was probably spelled by mistake, but doesn't that sound funny.

Emphrah....sounds interesting..... It sure makes me giggle!

twinkie*princess, your scenerio sounds good too!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Master Fan

I am so sick of the pregnancy story line.

Granted it's just on The OC. But I can see OTH pulling this.

With couples that aren't even together anymore.

Maybe if they were together I'd be a bit more into it.

But no.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Master Fan

I have been thinking of why Madison has been made with child by the writers. And then it hit me, the show is called Everwood not Everwood and New York. I beleive that Amy and Ephram are juniors, so next year they will be graduating. Ephram big dream is to go to school at Julliard which is a couple of states away. Besides the show is going into its 3rd season, pregancy are best introduce in the 3rd season up. They need to keep the characters around and stop them from leaving for college. They did it with that 70's show; how Eric had to stay home and help his family out after Red's heart attack. Yeah they wouldn't have such a big storyline and not have Ephram find out. Because this baby storyline can bring back so much darma and angst that keeps the show going.

Here what I think happens...

* Madison decides to keep the baby, Andy supports her with all the money needs.

* Someone finds out that Madison is pregnant but its not Amy-probably like Edna or Harold or maybe even Delia.

* Ephram and Amy have graduated and everyone gather to celebrate.

* The phone rings and Ephram picks up, its Madison calling to tell Andy she is in labor.

*Ephram exploxes at Andy for keeping this secret from him, Ephram decides to stay in Everwood so he can be a part of his child's life.

OR

* Ephram finds out that Andy is sending checks to an unknown address.

* So he goes to find out what going on and finds Madison either pregnant or she already had the baby.

* Ephram knows what its like not to have an active father in his life and doesn't want that for his kid. So he decides to give up Julliard and help raise the baby.

I see the writers reason behind all of this, it has so many story options for this show to deliever. Like Ephram being mad at Andy again for keep such a big secret from him. The whole Amy and Ephram relationship will be affected. Delia will be an aunt and we might get some cute moments with her. The Ephram and Madison storyline with their child. Lots and lots of options, besides it not like the baby will be the focus of every show just the ones it needed in.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:29 PM
Supreme Fan

I think it's wrong for Dr.Brown to keep the whole baby situation away from Empram... it's just a matter of time before he finds out, and when he finds out that his dad knows... there will be huge drama.

My Thoughts
Old 05-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

OK - Now for the after-work post.

Madison - Andy - Secret. Bah-humbug. I was holding out hope this wasn't going to happen. Damn that hope. Grrrr. {hee} Not only are pregnancies running amok on TV, Everwood already trod this ground last season. True, the issue only indirectly touched any main characters... but still. There's a whole WORLD of ideas out there that can be dramatic without being melodramatic. {sigh} Dare I hope they won't turn this into melodrama? We see where hope got me last time (LOL).

Rather than 'hope', I'll simply cast a meaningless vote for Madison to have the baby and give it up for adoption. I don't want her to have an abortion... please, let's not completely rehash Kate, OK? I don't want Madison keeping the baby and getting child support from Andy. I think Madison is more of her own person than that. I also don't want Madison to keep the baby and try to muddle through on her own. She's 21 years old - still trying to figure out her place in the world. So, that leaves Plan D.

Andy - Right or wrong? One of the nice, intelligent things about this show is that it likes to present complex issues and NOT oversimplify it into some neat and tidy right/wrong, black/white fiction. Madison was legally an adult whereas Ephram was not. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed that she brought this to any member of the Brown family to start with. She's a big girl. I bet she could get to Denver to see a doctor for a pregnancy test. Why go to Andy before she's certain? Why go to Andy period?

On the other hand... how does Andy think he gets to have his cake and eat it too? He says that the pregnancy is neither Madison's fault nor Ephram's. They're *both* just kids. And yet I am hoping that he's treating Madison like a grown-up here. If Ephram had gotten one of his high school classmates pregnant, would he still think the girl should deal with it alone while Ephram should remain none the wiser? Leaving Madison to face the consequences alone is only reasonable if she bears the greater responsibility. I'm OK with that assessment but Andy doesn't seem to be.

One thing that's easy to forget when judging Andy's decision is that *we* know Andy is living in a TV show - Andy, presumably, does not (giggle). We know there's an overwhelming liklihood that Ephram will learn about this 'someday'... about a 90% chance he'll learn about it in less than a year's time... about a 95% chance he'll learn about it before the series finale (whenever that is). But from Andy's standpoint, the odds probably don't seem quite that high. Remember, for all that he tries to tell Madison how it's gonna be... he can't really prevent her from telling Ephram if she chooses to. On the other hand, she was a 'trusted' part of the extended family in a way, and he probably has good reason to believe that, if he convinces her not to tell Ephram, she's not going to go back on that 'promise'. Andy's gambling, but from his standpoint the odds seem more in his favor than they do from our living room couches.

That said, Andy is not a complete dunce. He has an idea of what he's risking if Ephram ever finds out. But just like he would sacrifice happiness with Linda for his children's sake, I imagine he's willing to sacrifice his relationship with Ephram in order to protect him. Think of the story of King Solomon and the baby with two women claiming to be the child's mother. The real mother would rather give up her child than have him cut in half. The show has more than once suggested that Ephram was destined for greatness. What happens to that destiny if Ephram decides to be a 16 year old daddy? Then again, as was stated, Ephram should have thought of that himself before he decided to have sex. And how can Andy be sure Ephram *would* choose the baby over his alternate future? He didn't choose Amy over Julliard did he?

Actually, that gives me some hope that, while Ephram is away, Andy will change his mind about the "must never know" plan, and will try to tell his son when he returns. But unless Andy talks Madison into waiting 8 weeks to make her decision, he's gambling that Ephram can participate in the decision making when he returns. An "Andy decides to tell Ephram when he returns" scenario means a high probability that Madison aborts while Ephram is in NYC... thereby denying Ephram participation in the decision making. But, although I said I'd like Madison not to abort, I *do* hope Andy takes this tack. There's still a chance to abort after 8 weeks and I'm very OK with Ephram being able to enjoy the Juliard experience before dealing with the Madison situation. It reminds me a little of something my parents did for me once... but I've already gone on too long and there's way more in this episode to discuss. So I'll spare you the personal anecdote.

Let me cap off this storyine discussion by saying - I really wish they had let Madison just disappear from the show without melodrama.

Ephram - Bright. Yeah, he did use the word 'soulmate' too many times. Once or twice I could buy... but seriously dude?! On the other hand the writers were tyring hard to turn it into a dilemma for Ephram whether to stay or go. They took the easy way out on that score with Bright. It's not that I think the sentiment was out of character for him either... but being so obvious AND repetitious about it, yes. I'd see Bright more saying something like, "OK, I'm only gonna say this once, so listen up dude..." But the overall sentiment does fit him. Although he has matured a lot this year, he's not just magically a mature young adult now. I can see Bright as having somewhat stereotyped and immature ideas like 'there are girls make out with and virginal soulmates you take home to mama'. (grin).

But even if their talk was a little too 'too'... Bright's last line made it worth it for me. "... Or am I enlightening you?" CP nailed that line which needs a "special delivery" to be funny.

Ephram - Amy. I was OK with her asking Ephram to stay even though it was selfish. I think that's part of why the bagel shoppe story was included in this episode. Harold claimed to have a dream... and he indulged it... even if it seemed nuts and maybe self-indulgant. In a way, I think he was Amy's inspiration.

Amy and Ephram were cute.

I missed the unliklihood (mentioned above) of Amy getting the seat next to Ephram on the same plane. However, I did find it unrealistic that Harold and Rose just gave in to her sudden whim to go to NYC on her own... even if she is staying with her grandparents. She *is* staying with her grandparents (Nonny?) isn't she?

I'm glad Ephram chose NYC... but I hope Andy sees that Ephram's making that choice means he has enough of a head on his shoulders to handle the situation with Madison.

Delia - Bright. Yeah, ever since the appendicitis episode I get psyched with any tidbit I get of those two. Bright's gonna be missing his sis for 10 days. He and Delia are both gonna be missing Ephram for 8 weeks. I wonder if we will get one of those stereotyped: 'young girl embarasses herself by revealing her crush on the older boy' scenarios? Are ther any old timers here? Anyone at all? Does the name/word "Dren" mean anything to anyone else (hee)?

Harold - Andy. Although this storyline was, hands down and going away, my fave... my wrists are aching and I did address this somewhat above. I swear I love Harold more with every passing month (LOL}. He is so adorable when he shows concern. Loved him and Andy in the bagel shop. I could have waited pretty patiently for the start of the next season were it not for the Drs' joint practice. This should be delish'!!!

I disagree with the notion that Harold forgave Andy pretty quick *after* Andy offered up the insurance. They had the whole bagel shop scene including Harold seriously trying to help Andy with his dream *before* Andy mentioned the insurance at the end of it. But on a related note: My gosh! Harold just gets over being mad at Andy for prescribing birth control for his daughter... now he's helping his daughter travel to NYC so she can be closer to Andy's son, her wanna-be boyfriend? Harold's hard to figure sometimes {grin}.

~Aquillea
Old 05-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Absolute Fan

My Two Cents

Okay....

I loved the episode, GREAT CLIFFHANGER.

Madison/Andy - I agree with Andy 90%.

Madison was the adult in the situation. A situation that is known as rape of a minor, when an adult has sex with a 16 year old, but ah, Everwood, must not have those laws.. Anywho... I agree that Andy was protecting his son, a vulnerable son at that. One that had a crush on his sister's babysiter, not uncommon, except most babysiter's don't actually go for the underage relationship. I mean I can see if he were 18 and she was 23, not 16 and 21. I think Andy had an amazing point about Ephrams chldhood and Andy did warn her about how Vulnerable Ephram was, but she clearly did not listen, I mean you can't help who you care about right, but can control your actions.. I think Andy was right about not telling Ephram, and letting him go to New-York, but I have to say that when he returns, that they should have the talk about it. I mean is Ephram is big enough to have sex with a woman at 16, he should be responsible for his actions as well. He should know, I know it is Madison's decison, she should make one, then discuss it with Ephram and andy should let her. I don't think they need to let her get an abortion though, I mean that would look bad on Andy, wanting his grandchild aborted. I do however, see maybe a miscarriage, or an adoption probably. I would love to see Nina adopt the child, that way Ephram can be in the child's life without having to give up his childhood and worry about financial arrangements for the child at 16.
Congrats Kasey Kahne #9
2005 Chevy American Revolution 400 Nextel Cup Champion

Welcome To The O.C. Bitch
Old 05-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Houston
About Andy's dreams, I am not sure what it was supposed to mean. Any guesses?

Aquillea bascially covered it in her post. But Andy was having this dream about his family and it looked like the perfect family and everything was better off the way it was. But at the end of it you can see that the idea that he had in his head about how "perfect" things were was really all a lie. Even though Julia is gone he at least saved his relationship with his kids. Because he really had nothing before.

Alright I don't like that Madison is pregnant. Its so typical and I don't know what they are going to do with that next season. I'm happy that Ephram and Amy finally got together But of course that will get all messed up with the baby news.
I liked the scene of Bright and Delia so cute
Old 05-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

I loved this episode..... great clifhanger....

But i do think that ephram deserves to know the truth, because if he is old enough to have sex then he should be old enough to take responsiblity for it. because by having andy keep this from him is only going to blow up in his face.
Marissa: Thank You
Old 05-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Caddie
...it looked like the perfect family
Actually... well, I should shut up now ...but another thing just hit me as I read this. I don't know if Harold caught it or not... because he asked Andy to interpret the dream, then he seemingly commented on *Andy's* interpretation.

Andy thinks the important part of his dream is how wonderful it feels seeing his whole family laughing around the table. I'm at work again so I can't come up with an exact quote, but Andy says something to the effect:

"And I just stand there... watching them. And I'm so happy."

It's important that we do more than see this... because when we see it, the scene does come off as happy... just as Andy says. But it's important from the analysis standpoint (although, as I said, I missed it) for us to hear Andy say "I just stand there... watching them."

He is already subconsciously acknowledging to himself that he isn't a part of that happy family... he's standing outside of it. He could have dreamed he was at the table. He could have dreamed that Julia baked Ephram a cake to celebrate while he and Delia made the frosting then decorated it. He could have dreamed himself *participating* in that 'picture perfect' family... but he didn't. He dreamed about observing the happy family. Somewhere inside he knew he didn't fit into that picture... he just needed the conversation with Harold to bring that awareness to the surface.

~Aquillea

Last edited by Aquillea; 05-12-2004 at 09:44 AM
Old 05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Passionate Fan

Can't really add anything new. Just two comments.

1) I really really hate how all these shows seem to do season finales where some character has to give up some wonderful once in a lifetime opportunity so they can stay with some selfish love interest who wants them to throw away their future just because they cant stand having them away for two months. Blech!

Good for Ephram for going to New York. Good for Amy for going with him if she really wants to be with him so badly.

2) Dr. Brown did the right thing. The right thing for his son. Keeping the pregnancy away from him will let him continue to pursue his dreams, go to college and prevent it from shattering his life before he can start to build it.

Now when (as opposed to if since it is inevitable that it gets revealed one of these sweeps) Ephram finds out he will be angry. So angry he might never forgive his father. Especially if he finds out he has some hidden family and some hidden child he never got the chance to know.

That said it is still in the best interest of furthering Ephram's future. So while Ephram turning his back on Madison would be wrong, Dr. Brown hiding it from his son would be the correct (and selfish) decision. He's risking his whole relationship with his son (and perhaps his grandchild) but in the grander scheme of things it is for the best. A best Ephram will be furious about and quite understandably not appreciate one bit.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 05-12-2004, 11:54 AM
New Fan

aquillea! great post-- i totally agree with your assessment of the dream-- what a great analysis! and i totally agree with what you said with the madison/ephram situation-- why the heck did madison go to him? it didn't make any sense to me. I would make hella sure i was pregnant before scaring anyone else.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Addicted Fan

My thoughts:
Didn't like the Madison pregnancy line, they played it as a minor part of the ep so it seemed so i'm wondering what's up with that.

As for the Andy/Harold scenes: Loved them. I really want to see more of what's gonna come out of that.

Amy/Ephram: Ephram was smart in not letting her get in the way of his future, and Amy was smart not waiting for them, this plot made me a very happy maria.

The dream sequences: I thought that was absolutey brilliant. It just answered a lot of the what ifs as well as showed just how important Everwood has been to Andy, and the Browns in general. I just, it just amazed me that was a great choice on the writer's part, and they didn't even have to kill anyone off!

-maria
Old 05-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

Ok, I personally did not like this episode, and also I do not like the direction the show is going in. I think this episode had so much potential, and I thought with the Madison clip that they would surprise us, but it was fairly obvious. I blame lazy writing, because all year the show was up to par, and it just didn't measure up to the series. The first "bad" episode, imo.