{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by break the window (View Post)
Congratulations on the move!

I look forward to reading your thoughts
Thank you!
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Given the house move, I’m still not completely set up so I’m using my phone a lot over other devices.

As a result, I’m going to split your amazing review in separate posts because I fear I will lose content if something happens to my phone. LOL.

First part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
MY REVIEW!

Quote:
- Bucks Rock. Irv, in the beginning of the episode, says the place has some sort of higher power, like people go there to talk to God because of its Heavenly light? Is it me or is that where Bright went over the ledge in the car that put Colin in a Coma. If i wasn't, why show Buck's Rock anyway? So, after 4th of July, did no one visit Buck's rock, seemed really empty when Bright was there, all by himself, remembering the day of the accident all of his guilt for not saying anything.
Irv saying this points to the spiritual theme of the show.

You make such a great point I’m not sure anyone has ever noticed, the connection between Irv’s words and the accident. Such great thoughts, Patricia.

Quote:
- Amy asks Colin what he was thinking about when he had the weird look on his face. And why would it be a girl question. Does a guy never ask another guy what he's thinking about? Anyway, what was Colin thinking about. I'm sure it really wants what he told Amy it was. Colin told Bright he was going to break up with Amy, maybe Colin was thinking about what ways to tell her that he wanted out of the relationship. Or...do you think Colin really didn't want to break it off with Amy but knew her feelings were more intense than his were. He joked with Amy that he didn't think about her all hours of the day. Honestly, when they were weren't together, did Colin think about Amy at all? This episode kind of made me like pre-coma Colin a LITTTLE Bit. Still in the doghouse for giving Bright the flask and drinking before he even went to the festival.
Giving Bright the flask was not cool.

I truly believe Colin was 100% always breaking up with Amy and was never wavering. I don’t believe he’d risk telling Laynie in case it got out otherwise. The question is did Bright know and if he did why didn’t he tell Amy that Colin was planning on breaking up with her before the accident?

I often wonder how I’d feel about Colin if he wasn’t so connected to Amy and Bright. If he was just one of their high school friends but wasn’t Amy’s boyfriend or Bright’s best friend. I still don’t think I’d love him but maybe dislike him a bit less.

Quote:
- Colin took Amy's confirmation necklace and basically it was so she would go out on a limb (pun intended) and jump into the lake with Colin. That was a cute moment because Colin knew Amy would never jump into the lake off the limb unless she was forced to, so she was forced to because Colin knew how much she loved that necklace.
It certainly proves he knows Amy in that childhood we talk a lot while swimming kind of way.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Part 2

Quote:
- Amy tells Colin she loves him. How long has she been wanting to tell Colin that she loved him? I don't think her plan was to just blurt it out at the lake, but in more of a special moment; especially since it's the first person she's told that she isn't related to. He didn't say it back, okay, fine, you don't have to say it back. But he said NOTHING! He just swam away. It proves, once again, that Colin's feelings weren't where Amy's were. What could he say, not that I'm trying to totally defend Colin, but what could he say other than what she said and not offend her. Colin never loved Amy, or at least he was never in love with Amy as she was with him. Colin, since we didn't have a lot of time to spend with him, it's hard to figure out what he really cared about. The most we got from Colin were stories from the Everwoodians and post-coma Colin who was never like pre-coma Colin, from what we did get to see. Did he care about Amy in the beginning and her feelings just grew over time or he was just there for fun and never took it seriously and it was too late to break off something casual, especially when she's throwing out "I love You's" and he doesn't say anything. I'm starting to think that Amy's feelings for Colin were kind of Colin's responsibility too. Him not saying anything to Amy's "I love you" proved he didn't really love her, but he needed to say something. He needed to say how he felt. No matter if Colin said he wanted to end things that day or two months later, it still would've broken Amy's heart. Colin cared, yes, but Colin cared just enough to not really feel a whole lot. Maybe it was the small town where he knew he'd see Amy every day or that he was best friends with her brother which would complicate things more than ever. It doesn't matter when it has to be done. Colin thought Amy would tire of him and break it off herself, but she didn't. Colin underestimated Amy's resilience to keep holding on.

Excellent thoughts.

I think you make a great point. We saw in the flashbacks how disconnected he was… I really believe you are onto something and he truly thought she would get tired of his hot and cold behavior and would end up breaking up with him. I think he was waiting for the right moment to tell her but he was too much of a coward to ultimately go there. So he tried to put it on her, make her miserable enough to dump him so he wouldn’t have to. But he definitely wanted to and there’s no way they would’ve lasted much longer. For him to swim away like that shows immaturity and such a horribly cruel move on his end. It was awful. He needed to tell Amy. Amy told Ephram she had feelings for Colin in a big bird sort of way so it made sense she’d blurt it out like that when you think about it. It was “kid stuff” that was fantasy over reality and not really intellectually thought out properly.

Colin cared due to childhood and it was originally a crush that never advanced for him into authentic romantic love feelings. He wasn’t feeling it for whatever reason… too immature, just knew they were not meant to be that early on but he knew and should have respected her enough to tell her.

Quote:
- Andy is going over all the specifics to the brain surgery with The Harts. The surgery will last at least 8 hours. Did I miss something? When did Andy say he would do the surgery? Andy is flying in an assisting surgeon from New York.

- Colin's been in a coma for 4 months? How long have The Brown's been in Everwood? Colin was put into a coma at the accident in July and it's been 4 months. The Browns moved to Everwood in November...it seems like The Browns have been in Everwood a lot longer than 4 months? Maybe I'm putting too much credit into the timeline

- Andy has performed over 2,600 surgeries and was a practicing neurosurgeon for 15 years. Of course, doing the math, that averages 3 week per week. We are led to believe that Andy is in a surgery once per day, which is partially correct since every surgery we hope that Andy prepared for what he was walking into and didn't think he was THAT BIG of a GOD'S GIFT that he could just walk in blind and heal up the person on the table and walk out like it was nothing. If he did a surgery, let's say five days a week, it would be 3,600 which is where I think the number is closer to since he was never home! Okay, carry on
I love how you think (and beautifully overthink) about these things.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Part 3

Quote:
- So, Uncle Brian comes to visit, and Uncle Brian is the visiting surgeon. How long as Andy known Brian for his children to consider them Uncle Brian and is Brian the only surgeon colleague that close to Andy and his family. We're getting to know more and more about Andy's life in New York, especially with this episode. To bring food all the way from New York, give Delia a hat and knowing she loves hats and giving Ephram an album that he obviously really liked. How well did Andy get along with the other surgeons. Also, Ephram seemed to really like Brian and didn't scowl at him like he did to Andy and everyone else that he didn't want to be friendly with.
Really love how you think, friend. You question and think about things that most people don’t even consider.

You are right… it makes you wonder if there were other colleagues/surgeons Andy was close to. Plus, Ephram acted like he despised everything related to Andy’s career so he made an exception with Brian? Was Julia close friends with Brian, too?

Would have loved seeing more NYC “arriving” in Everwood throughout the series.

Quote:
- Harold as 2 university degrees and a Mensa degree. What is a Mensa degree and what are the two universities that Harold attended. We know one was where Andy did a surgical rotation at. And Harold is too cheap to pay someone from the store to install the Satellite Dish. Was it because it was 2003 that it was so cheap or that it as a small town and the owners like Harold and Rose...more Rose I would imagine.
Absolutely no clue what Mensa is either. LOL.

Rose apparently stuck around where Harold went to medical school and that’s really all we know in addition to where Andy did the surgical rotation at was connected to Harold as well.

Quote:
- Love how small this town is that Rose is minding the store for the Harts while Colin is in surgery. Didn't know that still happened after the 80s.
That’s true. LOL.

Quote:
- Bright isn't going to Colin's surgery and of course it upsets Amy because she thinks the entire town is supposed to be there for Colin's surgery. Amy thinks that Bright should be there as much as she is to support Colin. I wanted to shake her and tell her not everyone is obsessed with Colin as she is. Bright isn't that person to lay out all of his feelings and wants everyone to know what he's thinking. Bright could pretend what happened didn't happen when Colin was in the coma because what people think happened, didn't actually happen. Still with me? I don't know if Bright was afraid Colin would spill the beans and tell everyone what happened if he remembered, or that the truth couldn't be hidden anymore, and Bright was eating himself alive by not saying anything. How long could Bright keep up the charade and let people think Colin was driving. And, I want to know, if the police think Colin was driving from where he was thrown from the vehicle...what was left of that vehicle and why is Bright walking away, especially, like it never happened. This is what I don't understand, Bright was driving, in the driver's seat before and during the crash. How could the car flip them around so bad that police wouldn't question where Colin and Bright were and thought they were right to assume Colin was driving. How is Bright simply just OKAY or did I miss t where Bright was in the hospital too?
I think Amy thought the world should stop because Colin was the first person on the planet to have a brain injury.

Bright definitely was living in denial, felt guilt, and was scared knowing he was driving. Good question about how it flipped to the point of the police not questioning who was driving or even if any drinking was involved. Yes, it’s never really fully explained how Colin was so injured and Bright barely had a scratch.

Quote:
- 4th of July festival memories. Colin knows about Guns and the Kentucky Rifle? He's done some light reading. He wants Harold to think that he's this intelligent young man dating his daughter. Anyone else think that Colin simply knew the guns that were being used and looked up some information to impress Harold and the family? I want to believe he is a good kid deep down, but do "light reading" on guns and know what Curly Mape Kentucky Long Rifle is? Come on, no teenager is that committed. Amy is mat at Colin and brushes him off when he compliments her costume. Colin seems really confused as to why Amy is not speaking to him. Goes to show he doesn't know Amy at all when he just lets her walk away without even knowing what she's upset about. I'll say it....Ephram wouldn't let her walk away mad
Ephram WOULD NEVER do that to Amy. Ephram wasn’t perfect in S3 but he’d never pull this Colin stuff on Amy.

I always got to impression that Collin was almost like an Eddie Haskell on Leave It to Beaver… acted all good, kind and smart in front of the parents, kissing up like crazy but it was all an act.

Last edited by jediwands; 03-08-2023 at 07:16 PM
Old 03-08-2023, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Part 4

Quote:
- Andy is telling Brian about Colin's accident, all the medical terms of what the accident did to Colin's brain and the skull entirely. It's nice to see Andy talking his neuro medical terms. He still has the confidence of a neurosurgeon even if he doesn't believe it himself. He hasn't performed a sugery in a year and he talks like he just did one yesterday. It was fun to see that side of Andy without all the New York cockiness that came along with him in the pilot.
I love this so much, getting extra information and a glimpse of NYC Andy Brown.

Quote:
- Going to the end of the episode for a bit, when Brian asked Andy to come back to New York...do you think that was part of the motive he came out to Everwood? Some of the higher ups in New York found out that the Great Doctor Brown was performing a neurosurgery in Colorado and wondered what it would take to get him back. Let's say if...BIG IF...if Andy hadn't met Nina and after Ephram moved out of Everwood and Delia went off to college, would Andy go back to any form of neurosurgery? I know he liked being a country doctor and being a father, but what if it was just him. Andy loves medicine, especially the surgical kind. What do you think?
I do think it was kind of a plan for Brian, not a manipulative plan, but he certainly wanted him to return to New York City.

Good question. We know Andy gets back into neurosurgery later on in Colorado. It’s in his blood. Think it was always happening regardless.

Quote:
- Andy told Brian that he was scared and needed a familiar face and has performance hitters. Maybe he's out of miracles and that he's a different person. I think if The Harts bought Colin to New York for The Great Doctor Brown to operate on him, he'd be challenged at the odds and go for it. Andy wouldn't know Colin, he'd never have had the meeting with The Harts as he did his office in Everwood. It would've made it easy for Andy, harder on the Harts because he would've been a surgeon who didn't care. And what if the same complication happened in New York as it did in Colorado, would Andy have taken time the time to get the same fragment out since blood was pouring into where the fragment was. I just wonder how being in Everwood changed Andy not only as a father but as an operating surgeon as well.
Excellent thoughts.

Quote:
- Brian says Andy is a gifted surgeon and was put on earth to fix God's mistakes. I don't think, until this episode, I really didn't know how talented Andy was in operating on the brain. This confirms that Andy really did give up an extraordinary life to be a father to his children and fulfill a promise to his wife. Now it puts it into perspective of what Harold was going on about a big time doctor coming to their small town of Everwood...and since we now know that Harold was introduced to Doctor Brown beforehand.

Quote:
- Delia is assisting Andy getting ready at the bathroom sink This is adorable. How many times did Delia assist Andy in New York? We get a question out of Delia that I didn't think we'd get. Delia wondered if Andy would be at the hospital all day again like he was in New York. I didn't think Delia noticed Andy being gone as much as Ephram did. Now it's clear that she did know how much he was gone and she missed her dad. She just wasn't as vocal about it as Ephram....only because Ephram was so angry at Andy for everything in life. I think Delia feared on her own terms that Andy would be back to the workaholic he was in New York and wouldn't be around as much.
Very true and adorable how Delia was assisting Andy. I think Delia noticed way more than people gave her credit for, even in New York City. She wasn’t angry like Ephram, but she noticed everything.

Quote:
- Ephram made a huge breakfast for Andy and even served him cream cheese. Also, he made a mixtape. Questions. Did Ephram ever do this in New York for Andy...we know that is a no. Also, did Ephram make a mixtape for Andy because it was a big surgery and first surgery in New York or because it was Colin Hart...the person Amy's heart for? How did Ephram know to make him a mixtape. Now I'm wondering, when Brian gave Andy the mixtapes that Julia made for Andy's surgeries, was it really Ephram making them and Julia just delivering them? Any ounce of compassion Ephram had towards Andy was almost masked with anger. Brian even said Ephram can't hate Andy but so much if he makes the breakfast and a mixed CD out of the blue. Again, is it for Andy or is it for Amy?
Great, in depth thinking! I do believe Ephram played a bigger part in NYC with Andy’s career. I’m sure he did a lot of things behind the scenes. Julia probably took all the credit but Ephram was involved too and didn’t want his father to know.

Quote:
- Harold telling Bright that basically everything is going to be okay because Andy is an unbelievable surgeon and Bright said he's the "axis of evil," So, what other things does Harold have to say about the Great Doctor while the doctor himself is not around. Axis of evil, this is a new one. With Harold giving Andy so much credit of being an unbelievable surgeon, did Harold get to see Andy work? Has Harold read up on Andy and his wonderful gift of curing people to know that he is a gifted surgeon? After knowing Harold originally met Andy during a rotation at a different hospital, it's hard to know how much Harold really knows about The Great Doctor.
That’s very true. How did Harold know so much? Was it like father like daughter and at the same time Amy was researching Dr. Brown Harold was as well?

That was funny from Bright.

Quote:
- Amy calls Ephram on the payphone (the payphone...like an antique in these times) and says she wants to check in with normal. If she wanted to check in with normal, why not call Rose at the Hart's store and see how things were going or check in at home to see how Harold is doing with putting together the satellite dish. No, she called Ephram. Ephram isn't normal as in the sense he brings her back down to earth...he's the guy who helps keep her grounded and not get crazy in the first place. She is literally waiting for her, as she says, boyfriend to make it through brain surgery and calls the guy she wants to kiss and hold hands with and check into normal. Can we already smell a relationship happening or is it just the bad hospital food?

Amy calling Ephram was…

Quote:
- Amy remembering the day of the parade and her having to tell Colin they were fighting. If he knew Amy so well, he'd know they were fighting. And Amy is the longest relationship he's ever had? They couldn't have been dating for so long and only being like 15-year-olds so that tells you he doesn't spend so much time on the girls he's with and it almost makes sense that Colin would want to break up with Amy. Not just because she's more in love with him than he is with her, it's because he doesn't do relationships and he doesn't want to be in one anymore and just feels bad because Amy has real feelings. I don't think, up to that point, Colin had ever been in a relationship with a girl who had as strong feelings as Amy did. Colin was in uncharted territory; he really had no experience in breaking up with a girl who cared so much.
Indeed. No experience. No maturity. Really no caring he was not handling anything properly. He just didn’t know what to do.

In his slight defense, he might not have realized Amy would want to take it from childhood crush, dating to we are meant to be ILYs. It might have caught him off guard, and he assumed Amy would be OK existing in reciprocal crush territory… exclusive, but very non-serious together. When he realized Amy was way more serious about things he did not know how to handle it at all.

The fact that Colin was planning on breaking up with her also indicates he never bought the town fantasy that they were meant to be together as the golden couple. Which I find interesting.

Quote:
- Nina telling Ephram to go to the hospital is probably what saved Amy that day. Sure, Amy was thinking about Colin and ran to him once the surgery was over, but it's who she wanted to be with when the surgery was going on. Ephram is letting Amy toss him around like a bean bag and he has no idea where to look next. If Amy was honest with him about her feelings for him, Ephram would know she'd want him at the hospital and not having to realize it six hours later when he actually did show up. Amy's world brightened when Ephram showed up with snacks and board games. Something so simple to Ephram meant the world to Amy.
I love how Nina, Ephram’s future second mom was the one that got the ball rolling for Ephram to show up at the hospital too.

Last edited by jediwands; 03-08-2023 at 07:51 PM
Old 03-08-2023, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Part 5

Quote:
- Bright tells The Harts he remembers everything that happened and that he was the wrong driving. My question is, if Bright was driving and the police assumed it was Colin driving because of where Colin's body ended up, what the hell happened to that truck and how hard did they land on the ground. Furthermore, why doesn't Bright look like he's got a scratch on him. I know it's been months, but for Colin to not be driving and gets thrown and Bright...what...stayed in his seat when the car hit the ground? Unless Colin wasn't wearing his seatbelt and was thrown through the windshield? I don't think the specifics of how Colin was ejected from the vehicle was ever discussed that is just my theory. Bright didn't say anything because he knew Amy would kill him. It's not like Bright was going out there to intentionally hurt Colin or anyone else. Again, it's the whole protecting Amy scenario. Why is everyone protecting her? But then again, we see how Amy reacts to anyone saying Colin won't wake up, like she's already written the story, and, in her story, Colin will wake up and whatever anyone else says is not true and won 't happen. I feel for Bright. He wasn't trying to save himself, which I thought he was since he was drinking and probably driving without his license, He was protecting Amy....because she was so fragile? Goes to show that Amy put everything she was worth into Colin and didn't require anything back. I'm just glad she found her strength and Ephram helped her do that
Wonderful thoughts.

Question: Were you shocked the Hart’s took Bright’s confession as calmly and understanding as they did?

Quote:
- Amy is going to tell Colin how sorry she is that they had a big fight that day about her saying "I Love You" and how he didn't say it back. So, is this the reason why Amy wanted Colin to wake up, so she could apologize for them fighting and take back what she said?
Very good question!

I’m just annoyed Laynie or Ephram (or Bright if he knew) did not tell her Colin was going to break up with her. I am not even sure she enters the situational depression she does in S2 if she understands this reality.

Quote:
- I think, in the waiting room, Amy finally had some clarity. When Ephram tried to make Colin sound better and defend him, Amy finally said it....Colin never really loved her. Colin didn't want to just go for a joyride in his dad's truck, but he wanted to get away from Amy. That part MIGHT be true on some level, but I think Colin, as usual was just bored, and wanted to get out of town for a little while. Colin wasn't made for a small town like. Everwood. He was always onto something else, even girls. He was never settled or satisfied staying one place.
Precisely.

Quote:
- Ephram was sure Julia's accident was his fault. Have we ever determined where Julia was going when she was hit by the drunk driver? I know they were all supposed to meet for dinner and the kids weren't with her. Was Julia on her way to pick up Ephram and then pick up Delia, that would make sense he would blame himself. It would actually make a lot of sense of Ephram being more of a jerk than usual when they first moved to Everwood. It wasn't that Ephram hated the parent he was left with, but he thought the parent he loved more than anything in the world wasn't there, and it was his fault. What a burden to carry for any age, especially if it's a 15-year-old.

- At the end of the day, Ephram was the only one to show up. When the series started, Amy seemed to have every friend in the world. But when it came down to it, Ephram was the only one who cared. The sad thing is that Colin, the Everwood Golden Boy, was having cutting edge brain surgery and not one bothers to show up. Everwoodians have a certain way they show their loyalty. Everyone seemed to show up and tell Andy he failed when Colin died, but where are they when Andy is doing something right to help Colin wakeup. Misery loves company.

Quote:
- Brian asked Andy to return to New York after his "sabbatical," and Andy says this is his home. If Andy had already made it clear that he wasn't going back to New York, would Brian have come to help with Colin's surgery. Was the hospital in New York secretly holding Andy's spot for when he is doing being a regular, country doctor. Even if Paul Yates is performing double aneurysms.
Exactly.

I loved seeing Andy determined to make it work in Everwood. He knew this early on they made the correct decision to leave NYC. Of course, he was going there regardless, because of the promise he made to Julia.

Quote:
- I think Ephram let his guard down with Andy in this episode. I think Andy really proved he really was a miracle worker when going in to a patient who had been in a coma for months and try to essentially, wake himup. Ephram said he'd never paly scrabble with Andy, there was like a gleam in his eyes that he actually liked talking to Andy...maybe as more than a son, but a friend.

Quote:
I didn't get much...oomph, out of this episode like I have some of the others. I feel like, in some ways, this was a filler episode leading to the big moment when Colin Hart does in fact wake up and then we know where things go from there. I don't remember all of it, so the reviews will be interesting.
I feel like this was a big Ephram and Amy episode overall but as a rule you are right on that this felt like a transitional episode.

Quote:
I feel like Everwood is broken up into many parts.

1. Before Colin's accident.
2. When Colin is in a coma.
3. When Colin wakes up.
4. When Colin dies
5. After Colin is buried.

I guess we're now moving into Chapter 3
That’s so true, the breakdown.

EXCELLENT review, like always.

Last edited by jediwands; 03-08-2023 at 08:13 PM
Old 03-19-2023, 10:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Given the house move, I’m still not completely set up so I’m using my phone a lot over other devices.

As a result, I’m going to split your amazing review in separate posts because I fear I will lose content if something happens to my phone. LOL.
You are a trooper! Real life is really kicking the crap out of me right now, why it's taken so long to reply to your review. I still haven't watched 1.08 yet. I know it's going to be an intense review, so I want to make sure I'm going to be able to completely focus on it.

Quote:
I truly believe Colin was 100% always breaking up with Amy and was never wavering. I don’t believe he’d risk telling Laynie in case it got out otherwise. The question is did Bright know and if he did why didn’t he tell Amy that Colin was planning on breaking up with her before the accident?
It's hard to say really. Bright, although he wasn't as dumb as he acted and sounded, he wasn't all that in tune to what's going on either. I think it would've been a case of Bright not believing Colin and not taking him seriously because all Amy talked about was Colin this and Colin that. Bright wasn't one to meddle in relationships that were not his concern. So he probably just tuned out whenever Colin talked about Amy which probably wasn't a whole lot of times.

I think Colin telling Layne was a for Layne to do his bidding. For Laynie to pull Amy aside and tell her "Colin told me he's thinking about breaking up with you" and Amy would confront him and he'd admit to it and all the work was done. He wouldn't have to do anything. I feel like that was Colin's thing in Everwood, he didn't do much, but people put him into such a corner that they thought for him and he just went along with it.

Quote:
I often wonder how I’d feel about Colin if he wasn’t so connected to Amy and Bright. If he was just one of their high school friends but wasn’t Amy’s boyfriend or Bright’s best friend. I still don’t think I’d love him but maybe dislike him a bit less.
I really don't feel as though Colin was as connected as we were led to believe in Amy's stories about him or even the flashbacks we've seen him have with Bright. Colin was a coaster, he just coasted through everything and never wanted to take anything seriously. I'm just going by the flashbacks because the Colin that woke up from the coma was not the Colin who was Amy's boyfriend or Bright's best friend or Everwood's Number 1 son. Maybe, and we've talked about this before, maybe the post coma Colin was the real Colin and he didn't know to pretend because he had no memory of pretending. Colin, before the accident, never took anything seriously, like he was just living his life to the fullest and never really thought about what came next...hence, having the flask for Bright and then thinking it was okay to drive his dad's truck at the 4th of July Festival. Colin never thought anything would happen...or maybe he just didn't care

Part 2

Quote:
I think you make a great point. We saw in the flashbacks how disconnected he was… I really believe you are onto something, and he truly thought she would get tired of his hot and cold behavior and would end up breaking up with him. I think he was waiting for the right moment to tell her but he was too much of a coward to ultimately go there. So he tried to put it on her, make her miserable enough to dump him so he wouldn’t have to. But he definitely wanted to and there’s no way they would’ve lasted much longer. For him to swim away like that shows immaturity and such a horribly cruel move on his end. It was awful. He needed to tell Amy. Amy told Ephram she had feelings for Colin in a big bird sort of way so it made sense she’d blurt it out like that when you think about it. It was “kid stuff” that was fantasy over reality and not really intellectually thought out properly.
If Colin really knew Amy probably thought Colin knew her, he would never let this feeling of wanting to end things linger on so long. The more things went on, the more Amy fell in love with the idea of being in love with Colin. What if they did sleep together like it was planned. It would have RUINED Amy in a lot of ways that maybe she would not learn to recover from until many years on. We all know how special her first time was with Ephram in the log cabin, because Ephram took care of her in that moment. But Colin, to me, would be the guy to take things for the literal. Yes, they'd have sex, it would be...sex...nothing more. But Amy would want to romance, the emotional stuff, talking about how he liked "it" with her and so many adult things that Amy wouldn't want to talk to Laynie, her mom or certainly anyone else. Seriously, Amy would wake up and Colin would be gone. No note, no nothing. I don't want to call out Colin as being despondent, he's just not that guy to stick around for the happy ending of a two-hour romantic comedy. He wants to move on to the next thing and COAST to something else.

Imagine if Amy and Ephram are together and Amy's first experience was with Colin Hart who took all about thirty seconds to "do" everything and that was it. How would that impact her feelings towards intimacy with someone she really loved. Would she believe that Ephram would take care of her and want to be there for her? I don't think so.

Quote:
Colin cared due to childhood and it was originally a crush that never advanced for him into authentic romantic love feelings. He wasn’t feeling it for whatever reason… too immature, just knew they were not meant to be that early on but he knew and should have respected her enough to tell her.
I don't even think it was a crush, honestly. Amy, not to embarrass her, but I feel like it's a thing where she hung around Colin ALL THE TIME and then finally, he just gave in. I mean, Amy's just a girl at County High that wants to be with him romantically, I mean, didn't most of the girls want to be Colin Hart's girlfriend. I think Colin just "gave in" and thought "oh, this will be fun, and then it will be over" and it wasn't over and kept on going and I'm wondering at what point did Colin start to know that Amy loved him more than he loved her and not when she outwardly said it at the lake. I think when Colin told Laynie he wanted to break up, he started to distance himself and maybe Amy would get the hint. Amy doesn't get hints very well. She dives into something; someone and she just makes it all about this person, like a project and she can't let go. Ephram understood that and you know, that's one thing he loved about her. How invested she was into loving something with so much passion and heart.

Quote:
I love how you think (and beautifully overthink) about these things.
Thank you Sometimes I wish I wouldn't overthink it so much. I'd probably would have jumped on and replied sooner but I love to give your replies some thought and give that back to you ten fold and really sink my teeth into whatever it is we are discussing. I think Everwood/Berlanti deserves at least that much. Oh, if I could meet Berlanti one day. Probably give him a talking to about the character of Jake and his disruption of Nina/Andy. I KID...I KID

Part 3

Quote:
Really love how you think, friend.
Friend!

Quote:
You question and think about things that most people don’t even consider.
I just can't help but question things. It goes into how I write and how I read. I literally study everything I read. That's why, before my kindle, I had notebooks and highlighters like I was going to have a test on the book later. It's maddening But also endearing because this rewatch lets me revisit with these characters in a different way now that I know their journey and I'm not guessing what's going to happen so I can dive deep into what they're thinking knowing what their next move will be.

Quote:
You are right… it makes you wonder if there were other colleagues/surgeons Andy was close to. Plus, Ephram acted like he despised everything related to Andy’s career so he made an exception with Brian? Was Julia close friends with Brian, too?
We were led to believe that Andy was this nonstop workaholic surgeon that didn't have any time for colleagues much less friends. But I guess Andy never went home, the hospital became his home. I feel like there's a side to New York Andy we'll never know. We only saw Andy having a neuro consult before and after Julia's accident, but there was never a before. Andy is a really nice guy, with a sense of humor. But I get that Andy didn't really go to his humorous side to often. But meeting Brian changes all of that. Brian's a nice, down to earth guy...like the opposite of New York Andy.

Quote:
Absolutely no clue what Mensa is either. LOL.
Knowing Harold, it's something we probably do not want to know about. Google didn't provide much insight...in case you were interested

Quote:
Rose apparently stuck around where Harold went to medical school and that’s really all we know in addition to where Andy did the surgical rotation at was connected to Harold as well.
If Harold was at the same hospital doing rotations as Andy and was so enamored by him, and Rose, as you said, was with Harold during his time in medical school, then why is Rose just as surprised to meet Andy Brown as the rest of the town. Harold, although it's now, seems like the man to talk about all the happenings of work to his wife, wanting to impress her. Maybe since Andy had such a, I'll say it, negative impact on Harold studying medicine, that Harold didn't mention Andy at all. I just find it strange that it seems as though Rose doesn't know about Harold ever taking an interest in surgery instead of working at the same practice as Senior in a small town of Everwood. Did Harold not share most of his medical school training with Rose because he was too embarrassed he would never be as good as Andy? Maybe I'm circling the drain on this theory, but there's so much left unsaid about why Harold seems so disconnected as a country doctor when he grew up around it all his life and Andy seems to be the one to grow up in small town America with being a country doctor when hew as a hot shot Neurosurgeon in the big state of New York. Something just seems so off about those two psyches.

Quote:
I think Amy thought the world should stop because Colin was the first person on the planet to have a brain injury.
You would think that Colin had the first ever brain procedure and Andy was the only doctor int he world to study the brain. I love Amy and her commitment to a cause, but this one, sometimes, it's a little out there. Maybe even obsessed.

But as I write this, I think Amy is so focused on getting things back to where they were pre-July 4th that she thought if she worked hard enough, obsessed on it long enough that it would happen. Like studying for a big test. If she had all the information memorized, she'd ace the test. Honestly, Colin was never a test she was going to pass.

Quote:
Bright definitely was living in denial, felt guilt, and was scared knowing he was driving. Good question about how it flipped to the point of the police not questioning who was driving or even if any drinking was involved. Yes, it’s never really fully explained how Colin was so injured and Bright barely had a scratch.
It almost warrants the theory that no one really bothered or cared to investigate the crash because they air lifted Colin to the nearest hospital, cleaned up the crash and that was it. Outside of Amy, no one ever talks about that day. It's just Colin's in a coma...and he was driving...that was all. Police never bothered to investigate, anything. They just ... assumed.

Quote:
Ephram WOULD NEVER do that to Amy. Ephram wasn’t perfect in S3 but he’d never pull this Colin stuff on Amy.
I always got to impression that Collin was almost like an Eddie Haskell on Leave It to Beaver… acted all good, kind and smart in front of the parents, kissing up like crazy but it was all an act.
Colin was so Eddie Haskell, to the core. He kissed ass whenever he had the opportunity and Harold fell for it every time. Didn't take much for Harold's ego to be inflated. How much other "light reading" did Colin embark on. Can I make a suggestion...he should've wandered over to the relationships section...he could've learned a thing or two, or three, or four...or ten.

Part 4

Quote:
I do think it was kind of a plan for Brian, not a manipulative plan, but he certainly wanted him to return to New York City.
I think Brian had the idea that Andy would be miserable as a country doctor in Everwood and asking him back to New York wouldn't be a second thought. But Brian thought wrong. Andy was in Everwood, not just to be close to Julia, but to get close to his son. Staying in New York, Andy would've lost Ephram for sure. Everwood forced them to communicate and start to see each other as father/son and then as friends.

Quote:
Good question. We know Andy gets back into neurosurgery later on in Colorado. It’s in his blood. Think it was always happening regardless.
I so do not remember this. Another thing I'll have to discover on my rewatch. No recollection...at ALL

Quote:
Very true and adorable how Delia was assisting Andy. I think Delia noticed way more than people gave her credit for, even in New York City. She wasn’t angry like Ephram, but she noticed everything.
She noticed everything, but because of her age, she didn't know what it meant. She probably didn't know that Julia cheated on Andy. She just knew her parents fought a lot. But she felt Andy's absence, definitely. Thank God those two got their senses together to stop fighting and act like a family; not just for themselves, but for Delia.

Quote:
Great, in depth thinking! I do believe Ephram played a bigger part in NYC with Andy’s career. I’m sure he did a lot of things behind the scenes. Julia probably took all the credit but Ephram was involved too and didn’t want his father to know.
Ephram HAD to have done those mixtapes. Love Julia, but she doesn't strike me as the techy type. I think Ephram wanted to have a relationship with Andy but was afraid to because he would have to let someone into his world and that wasn't an easy task. Plus, Andy wasn't around enough for Ephram to be given the chance to get close to his father. Knowing that Ephram made mixtapes for Andy in New York, makes you rethink Ephram's viewing of his father.

Quote:
Amy calling Ephram was…
Ephram was her person...her other half and Amy hadn't realized it yet. Ephram made Amy whole

Quote:
Indeed. No experience. No maturity. Really no caring he was not handling anything properly. He just didn’t know what to do.

In his slight defense, he might not have realized Amy would want to take it from childhood crush, dating to we are meant to be ILYs. It might have caught him off guard, and he assumed Amy would be OK existing in reciprocal crush territory… exclusive, but very non-serious together. When he realized Amy was way more serious about things he did not know how to handle it at all.

The fact that Colin was planning on breaking up with her also indicates he never bought the town fantasy that they were meant to be together as the golden couple. Which I find interesting.
So with us realizing how young they were to get into such a serious relationship, I think it points to that Colin didn't know what to expect. He didn't know things would change once he kissed her, once they established, they were dating and only dating each other. I think Amy gave Colin a serious reality check when she proved her feelings for him, not just saying the "I Love You" but just the hand holding, wanting to always be around him. Surely, Colin had elementary school crushes and "girlfriends", but I gather that Amy was his first high school girlfriend. Yes, ever girl wanted to date Colin hart.... but have we thought about what was holding Colin back from dating any one of those girls. Was it ever discussed, seen in a flashback, of Colin dating another girl from County High or one who lived in Everwood. No, we didn't. So it's fair to say that Amy was more experienced than Colin and Amy thought was way more inexperienced then him. He had little to no idea what his next move was going to be and just played off of Amy's intuition...meaning...Amy having to tell him why she mas mad the entire July 4th Festival. Now with Colin not communicating with Amy....makes sense. Not forgiven, but makes sense.

Quote:
I love how Nina, Ephram’s future second mom was the one that got the ball rolling for Ephram to show up at the hospital too.
Yep, the great mom advice started early on. I'm thinking that's something Julia would have recommended Ephram do.

Part 5

Quote:
Question: Were you shocked the Hart’s took Bright’s confession as calmly and understanding as they did?
I expected Colin's mom to want to bring charges against Bright for the emotional distress on the family and for Colin being in a coma for so long. But was like Mrs. Hart was speaking FOR THE FAMILY and not as Colin's mom. She was so calm...TOO CALM about all of it. Do you think Mrs. Hart suspected Bright could've been driving that day and she resolute that it could've happened. She didn't seem so surprised when Bright was confessing. I expected Mrs. Hart's behavior to match Mr. Hart's behavior, but it was like the TWILIGHT ZONE and we're all hear that dodododododod music and the hypnotizing thing that came on the screen. Honestly, Alfred Hitchcock could come do an end scene closing sentence and I'd wouldn't think anything of it.

Quote:
I’m just annoyed Laynie or Ephram (or Bright if he knew) did not tell her Colin was going to break up with her. I am not even sure she enters the situational depression she does in S2 if she understands this reality.
I don't remember a lot of post-Colin coma stuff, so I'll probably revisit this thought if I remember it in the coming episodes and in Season 2

Quote:
I loved seeing Andy determined to make it work in Everwood. He knew this early on they made the correct decision to leave NYC. Of course, he was going there regardless, because of the promise he made to Julia.
I love that Andy just LEFT NEW YORK. Andy was such a student of knowledge and he constantly overanalyzed things before making a concrete decision. It's what most surgeons do, weigh all the outcomes to know how best to proceed. Andy just wanted to follow his wife and have it lead to something better.

Makes me think of a question, Michelle. Do you think, on some days, Andy (while in New York), wished he would have the Everwood lifestyle of being able to be home with his family at a decent hour. And he would be able to get to know his family instead of being at the hospital all the time. I believe, Andy did want that and moving to Everwood became another reason he left New York...to have the ideal doctor family lifestyle. But Andy was in so deep with surgeries and consults that he didn't want to fail anyone. See, there it is, didn't want to fail anyone...reason why he controlled a lot of things...see, there's that control theory again, like we talked about in the previous episode review.

Quote:
I feel like this was a big Ephram and Amy episode overall but as a rule you are right on that this felt like a transitional episode.
It is a standalone episode, I think. But as focused as Amy is on Colin waking up and the surgery going well, I think it had to show that Ephram was always going to be in Amy's life, no matter how long Colin was going be in it.

Quote:
EXCELLENT review, like always.
THANKS
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 03-21-2023, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^^^ Awe.

I’ll wait several days until responding. We’re both busy so this works.

Take your time on the next episode watch. As you know we are finishing up the series with only a few more to go so I can’t wait to dig in even deeper into your reviews and continue experiencing the series with our analysis and back and forth.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
^^^ Awe.

I’ll wait several days until responding. We’re both busy so this works.

Take your time on the next episode watch. As you know we are finishing up the series with only a few more to go so I can’t wait to dig in even deeper into your reviews and continue experiencing the series with our analysis and back and forth.
So once y’all finish the series, you start right back over?
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 03-21-2023, 05:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
So once y’all finish the series, you start right back over?
I might. LOL.

Or I’ll just start watching where you are.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I might. LOL.

Or I’ll just start watching where you are.
I’m not so far in so it will be like starting over 😂
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 03-22-2023, 02:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I’m not so far in so it will be like starting over 😂
This is true.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
You are a trooper! Real life is really kicking the crap out of me right now, why it's taken so long to reply to your review. I still haven't watched 1.08 yet. I know it's going to be an intense review, so I want to make sure I'm going to be able to completely focus on it.
I hear you about real life getting in the way. Take your time, and I will, too, because it is always quality over quantity… we both know this. I understand why 1.8 is going to be intense too.

Quote:
It's hard to say really. Bright, although he wasn't as dumb as he acted and sounded, he wasn't all that in tune to what's going on either. I think it would've been a case of Bright not believing Colin and not taking him seriously because all Amy talked about was Colin this and Colin that. Bright wasn't one to meddle in relationships that were not his concern. So he probably just tuned out whenever Colin talked about Amy which probably wasn't a whole lot of times.
That is a really good point. During this time period Bright was very immature as well. He played this plastic type of character even. He was basically around for Colin in many ways which was really weird but at the same time, like you said, he did not meddle and was kind of into his own superficial thing as well. My guess is even if Colin would have tried very seriously to tell Bright he was breaking up with Amy for good Bright might have still assumed it would be temporary. I think he believed in the strange town thing that Colin and Amy were just set up to end up together like Nina and her ex. At the time, Nina was still with Carl.

Quote:
I think Colin telling Layne was a for Layne to do his bidding. For Laynie to pull Amy aside and tell her "Colin told me he's thinking about breaking up with you" and Amy would confront him and he'd admit to it and all the work was done. He wouldn't have to do anything. I feel like that was Colin's thing in Everwood, he didn't do much, but people put him into such a corner that they thought for him and he just went along with it.
Such a great point. I bet that is PRECISELY why he told Laynie. It never appeared as if Colin and Laynie were super close. They did not hate each other but did not seem the type to have some strong, emotional sibling bond. Colin did have a motive to tell Laynie and I think you hit it square on... Colin had minions and unfortunately in this case, his sister was one of them.

Quote:
I really don't feel as though Colin was as connected as we were led to believe in Amy's stories about him or even the flashbacks we've seen him have with Bright. Colin was a coaster, he just coasted through everything and never wanted to take anything seriously. I'm just going by the flashbacks because the Colin that woke up from the coma was not the Colin who was Amy's boyfriend or Bright's best friend or Everwood's Number 1 son. Maybe, and we've talked about this before, maybe the post coma Colin was the real Colin and he didn't know to pretend because he had no memory of pretending. Colin, before the accident, never took anything seriously, like he was just living his life to the fullest and never really thought about what came next...hence, having the flask for Bright and then thinking it was okay to drive his dad's truck at the 4th of July Festival. Colin never thought anything would happen...or maybe he just didn't care

Quote:
Part 2

If Colin really knew Amy probably thought Colin knew her, he would never let this feeling of wanting to end things linger on so long. The more things went on, the more Amy fell in love with the idea of being in love with Colin. What if they did sleep together like it was planned. It would have RUINED Amy in a lot of ways that maybe she would not learn to recover from until many years on. We all know how special her first time was with Ephram in the log cabin, because Ephram took care of her in that moment. But Colin, to me, would be the guy to take things for the literal. Yes, they'd have sex, it would be...sex...nothing more. But Amy would want to romance, the emotional stuff, talking about how he liked "it" with her and so many adult things that Amy wouldn't want to talk to Laynie, her mom or certainly anyone else. Seriously, Amy would wake up and Colin would be gone. No note, no nothing. I don't want to call out Colin as being despondent, he's just not that guy to stick around for the happy ending of a two-hour romantic comedy. He wants to move on to the next thing and COAST to something else.
Another...

Quote:
Imagine if Amy and Ephram are together and Amy's first experience was with Colin Hart who took all about thirty seconds to "do" everything and that was it. How would that impact her feelings towards intimacy with someone she really loved. Would she believe that Ephram would take care of her and want to be there for her? I don't think so.
Brilliant analysis. I think Amy would have such a different (negative) view on sex if she would have gone there with Colin. You are so right. There is no reason to believe that Amy would have felt anything mutual and super romantic with Colin. It would have been a physical act mostly and she might have really been temporarily confused on what it can be like to truly be with someone in every way and how incredibly romantic it can be.

Bottom line is thankfully Colin did not take Amy's virginity!

This is bizarre to say but I think even Tommy would have been more caring should she have lost her virginity to him. Another nightmare but I think Tommy would have had least faked it in a mutual way.

Maybe not, I guess. The only reason why it might have been a better experience with Tommy is he certainly was not a virgin at the time of dating Amy so at least he would’ve known what he was doing a little bit. Also, since he faked romantic affection for her so much of the time while he was using and dealing drugs, he might have faked her first sexual experience with her where he acted like it was more mutual.

I guess we can say thankfully Colin or Tommy were not the ones Amy had a first experience with. I still think she would have viewed both experiences overall as primarily a physical act and could have negatively affected her first experience with Ephram.

I think it is beautiful Ephram was her only one.

Quote:
I don't even think it was a crush, honestly. Amy, not to embarrass her, but I feel like it's a thing where she hung around Colin ALL THE TIME and then finally, he just gave in. I mean, Amy's just a girl at County High that wants to be with him romantically, I mean, didn't most of the girls want to be Colin Hart's girlfriend. I think Colin just "gave in" and thought "oh, this will be fun, and then it will be over" and it wasn't over and kept on going and I'm wondering at what point did Colin start to know that Amy loved him more than he loved her and not when she outwardly said it at the lake. I think when Colin told Laynie he wanted to break up, he started to distance himself and maybe Amy would get the hint. Amy doesn't get hints very well. She dives into something; someone and she just makes it all about this person, like a project and she can't let go. Ephram understood that and you know, that's one thing he loved about her. How invested she was into loving something with so much passion and heart.
Yes, I agree and Amy telling Ephram later on it was fantasy and Big Bird-like makes it seem so far from reality, almost obsessive and eerie even.

Quote:
Thank you Sometimes I wish I wouldn't overthink it so much. I'd probably would have jumped on and replied sooner but I love to give your replies some thought and give that back to you ten fold and really sink my teeth into whatever it is we are discussing. I think Everwood/Berlanti deserves at least that much. Oh, if I could meet Berlanti one day. Probably give him a talking to about the character of Jake and his disruption of Nina/Andy. I KID...I KID
Berlanti would have been impressed and blown away.

Quote:
Part 3

Friend!

Quote:
I just can't help but question things. It goes into how I write and how I read. I literally study everything I read. That's why, before my kindle, I had notebooks and highlighters like I was going to have a test on the book later. It's maddening But also endearing because this rewatch lets me revisit with these characters in a different way now that I know their journey and I'm not guessing what's going to happen so I can dive deep into what they're thinking knowing what their next move will be.
That is so wonderful! I did the same thing with Harry Potter with the analysis, notebooks, and writing, it was like a research project but it was only because I liked the material.

You are the true writer, researcher, storyteller.

Quote:
We were led to believe that Andy was this nonstop workaholic surgeon that didn't have any time for colleagues much less friends. But I guess Andy never went home, the hospital became his home. I feel like there's a side to New York Andy we'll never know. We only saw Andy having a neuro consult before and after Julia's accident, but there was never a before. Andy is a really nice guy, with a sense of humor. But I get that Andy didn't really go to his humorous side to often. But meeting Brian changes all of that. Brian's a nice, down to earth guy...like the opposite of New York Andy.
100%.

I really wish S4 (since it seemed to parallel S1 quite a bit as the series inched closer to conclusion) would have revisited NYC Andy Brown more and filled in any missing blanks. I think it tried a little bit towards the end like when Andy’s father visited and of course we saw the evolution of father and son. But specific things about New York City would’ve been nice to kind of revisit and fill in some blanks during the final season of the series.

Quote:
Ditto.

Quote:
Knowing Harold, it's something we probably do not want to know about. Google didn't provide much insight...in case you were interested

Quote:
If Harold was at the same hospital doing rotations as Andy and was so enamored by him, and Rose, as you said, was with Harold during his time in medical school, then why is Rose just as surprised to meet Andy Brown as the rest of the town. Harold, although it's now, seems like the man to talk about all the happenings of work to his wife, wanting to impress her. Maybe since Andy had such a, I'll say it, negative impact on Harold studying medicine, that Harold didn't mention Andy at all. I just find it strange that it seems as though Rose doesn't know about Harold ever taking an interest in surgery instead of working at the same practice as Senior in a small town of Everwood. Did Harold not share most of his medical school training with Rose because he was too embarrassed he would never be as good as Andy? Maybe I'm circling the drain on this theory, but there's so much left unsaid about why Harold seems so disconnected as a country doctor when he grew up around it all his life and Andy seems to be the one to grow up in small town America with being a country doctor when hew as a hot shot Neurosurgeon in the big state of New York. Something just seems so off about those two psyches.

Quote:
You would think that Colin had the first ever brain procedure and Andy was the only doctor int he world to study the brain. I love Amy and her commitment to a cause, but this one, sometimes, it's a little out there. Maybe even obsessed.
Definitely obsessed.

Quote:
But as I write this, I think Amy is so focused on getting things back to where they were pre-July 4th that she thought if she worked hard enough, obsessed on it long enough that it would happen. Like studying for a big test. If she had all the information memorized, she'd ace the test. Honestly, Colin was never a test she was going to pass.
Never. Failed exam.

It is so very true. Amy literally adopted Colin Hart as her research project pre-accident and post-accident. She started getting rid of the research and obsession once she met Ephram slowly but surely. It still took time because around Vegetative State it turned into obligation which was just as tough to watch.

Quote:
It almost warrants the theory that no one really bothered or cared to investigate the crash because they air lifted Colin to the nearest hospital, cleaned up the crash and that was it. Outside of Amy, no one ever talks about that day. It's just Colin's in a coma...and he was driving...that was all. Police never bothered to investigate, anything. They just ... assumed.
Right? It was very strange. I wonder why this was the case. Especially since it was King Colin Hart. Why would they ever want to leave any stone unturned?

Quote:
Colin was so Eddie Haskell, to the core. He kissed ass whenever he had the opportunity and Harold fell for it every time. Didn't take much for Harold's ego to be inflated. How much other "light reading" did Colin embark on. Can I make a suggestion...he should've wandered over to the relationships section...he could've learned a thing or two, or three, or four...or ten.

Quote:
Part 4

I think Brian had the idea that Andy would be miserable as a country doctor in Everwood and asking him back to New York wouldn't be a second thought. But Brian thought wrong. Andy was in Everwood, not just to be close to Julia, but to get close to his son. Staying in New York, Andy would've lost Ephram for sure. Everwood forced them to communicate and start to see each other as father/son and then as friends.
Exactly right. You have to wonder if Brian fully understood that Andy and his children were broken and not very close at the time of his visit. If so, why would he even be promoting them to return to New York?

Quote:
I so do not remember this. Another thing I'll have to discover on my rewatch. No recollection...at ALL

Quote:
She noticed everything, but because of her age, she didn't know what it meant. She probably didn't know that Julia cheated on Andy. She just knew her parents fought a lot. But she felt Andy's absence, definitely. Thank God those two got their senses together to stop fighting and act like a family; not just for themselves, but for Delia.
100%.

Quote:
Ephram HAD to have done those mixtapes. Love Julia, but she doesn't strike me as the techy type. I think Ephram wanted to have a relationship with Andy but was afraid to because he would have to let someone into his world and that wasn't an easy task. Plus, Andy wasn't around enough for Ephram to be given the chance to get close to his father. Knowing that Ephram made mixtapes for Andy in New York, makes you rethink Ephram's viewing of his father.
That is so true. In addition, Ephram made the mixtape very naturally for Andy in Everwood. He is creative, he is empathic, but it seemed like he had prior experience.

Quote:
Ephram was her person...her other half and Amy hadn't realized it yet. Ephram made Amy whole

Quote:
So with us realizing how young they were to get into such a serious relationship, I think it points to that Colin didn't know what to expect. He didn't know things would change once he kissed her, once they established, they were dating and only dating each other. I think Amy gave Colin a serious reality check when she proved her feelings for him, not just saying the "I Love You" but just the hand holding, wanting to always be around him. Surely, Colin had elementary school crushes and "girlfriends", but I gather that Amy was his first high school girlfriend. Yes, ever girl wanted to date Colin hart.... but have we thought about what was holding Colin back from dating any one of those girls. Was it ever discussed, seen in a flashback, of Colin dating another girl from County High or one who lived in Everwood. No, we didn't. So it's fair to say that Amy was more experienced than Colin and Amy thought was way more inexperienced then him. He had little to no idea what his next move was going to be and just played off of Amy's intuition...meaning...Amy having to tell him why she mas mad the entire July 4th Festival. Now with Colin not communicating with Amy....makes sense. Not forgiven, but makes sense.
I agree. For as much as we do not like many aspects of Colin, he cannot be fully blamed here. He really was inexperienced and as we know the pressure that Amy Abbott can bring, especially so very early on, is overwhelming. LOL. Yes, Colin clearly insinuates Amy was his only girlfriend. It is also never insinuated he cheated on her in the least. I think he just felt like it was the next step, he found her cute, he liked her personally, and went there. Then realized he was too immature and not prepared for all the seriousness Amy brought to the table and he did not know how to handle it... and then went there handling it poorly as expected.

Quote:
Yep, the great mom advice started early on. I'm thinking that's something Julia would have recommended Ephram do.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Part 5

I expected Colin's mom to want to bring charges against Bright for the emotional distress on the family and for Colin being in a coma for so long. But was like Mrs. Hart was speaking FOR THE FAMILY and not as Colin's mom. She was so calm...TOO CALM about all of it. Do you think Mrs. Hart suspected Bright could've been driving that day and she resolute that it could've happened. She didn't seem so surprised when Bright was confessing. I expected Mrs. Hart's behavior to match Mr. Hart's behavior, but it was like the TWILIGHT ZONE and we're all hear that dodododododod music and the hypnotizing thing that came on the screen. Honestly, Alfred Hitchcock could come do an end scene closing sentence and I'd wouldn't think anything of it.
I completely agree. I am shocked she did not really go with full on rage after finding this out about Bright. It did not make any sense why she was so calm, it was not in character. She was super blunt with Amy basically close to yelling at her to get out of the hospital so why on earth wasn't she enraged, confused or at least questioning what really went on during the accident? She might have trusted and liked Bright but still... this is a completely different scenario involving her very terminally ill son.

Quote:
I don't remember a lot of post-Colin coma stuff, so I'll probably revisit this thought if I remember it in the coming episodes and in Season 2

Quote:
I love that Andy just LEFT NEW YORK. Andy was such a student of knowledge and he constantly overanalyzed things before making a concrete decision. It's what most surgeons do, weigh all the outcomes to know how best to proceed. Andy just wanted to follow his wife and have it lead to something better.
So well said.

Quote:
Makes me think of a question, Michelle. Do you think, on some days, Andy (while in New York), wished he would have the Everwood lifestyle of being able to be home with his family at a decent hour. And he would be able to get to know his family instead of being at the hospital all the time. I believe, Andy did want that and moving to Everwood became another reason he left New York...to have the ideal doctor family lifestyle. But Andy was in so deep with surgeries and consults that he didn't want to fail anyone. See, there it is, didn't want to fail anyone...reason why he controlled a lot of things...see, there's that control theory again, like we talked about in the previous episode review.
I think Andy wanted this as well... or he thought about this even subconsciously. It could have even been why he "pushed" Julia into the affair... something had to give, he had to change, or be forced into change. He wanted it but like you said, he did not want to let anyone down or be seen as a failure. He wanted the superhero title but was still... failing the city (and his family).

Quote:
It is a standalone episode, I think. But as focused as Amy is on Colin waking up and the surgery going well, I think it had to show that Ephram was always going to be in Amy's life, no matter how long Colin was going be in it.
100%.

Quote:
THANKS

Last edited by jediwands; 03-26-2023 at 08:26 AM
Old 03-26-2023, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle (View Post)
I hear you about real life getting in the way. Take your time, and I will, too, because it is always quality over quantity… we both know this.
Things, I hope are getting a bit better. March is a really exhausting and hard month to conquer...damn 31 days. I did something today that I've been meaning to do for a while, just had to get the courage to do it and now it's out of my hands and hopefully it works for the best. If not...not really sure what the future holds

Quote:
I understand why 1.8 is going to be intense too.
I feel like Everwood has a major shift when Colin wakes up from his coma. The entire series, thus far, has been will Colin ever wake up, will Colin ever get better, will Colin ever be Colin again. Now our questions may be answered, will he wake up and will he get better? I think, as I pointed out before that Everwood is built into sections around Colin that now we are in the next phase of Colin and how it affects everyone else. Colin isn't just a boy every fawned over in Everwood, he's kind of like the main character who is driving Amy's story which is of course connected to Ephram and also Bright's story because of him being guilt ridden for the one driving the truck. Andy operated on him, Harold and Rose are Amy's parents. Colin is the inner circle that is Everwood...up to this point.

Quote:
That is a really good point. During this time period Bright was very immature as well. He played this plastic type of character even. He was basically around for Colin in many ways which was really weird but at the same time, like you said, he did not meddle and was kind of into his own superficial thing as well. My guess is even if Colin would have tried very seriously to tell Bright he was breaking up with Amy for good Bright might have still assumed it would be temporary. I think he believed in the strange town thing that Colin and Amy were just set up to end up together like Nina and her ex. At the time, Nina was still with Carl.
I always wondered how Bright got to be, in the beginning, kind of aloof to all that was going on. Is it because his family was so intense about what was going on in their lives. It's nice to have comedic relief every now and then, but Bright seemed to never take anything seriously, that things were just going to work themselves out. Was that the way of Everwood? Amy was too intense for her own good most times and that's how she got involved so heavily into just about everything. Up until Hannah came into the picture, Bright didn't show any maturity and up until that point, he didn't care about much. So, what is Bright Abbott all about up until meeting Hannah because before then, all we got out of him was goofy answers and that he liked girls with big boobs. I just feel Bright had so much more to offer, even at a younger age and for some reason never showed it. Maybe that's why he and Colin fit together as friends so well. Colin didn't care about anything and Bright could go along and do the same. Almost like the gruesome twosome.

I'm not angered by it, but it just gets me that we don't know if ever got the real Colin Hart. Was post surgery Colin Hart the real Colin that only went on how he was really feeling and didn't play anyone like he did before? Or was the real Colin Hart the guy pre-Coma that just thought life was just a big adventure and he didn't care about the consequences.

AND....AND...(another one)...AND! If we had gotten post coma Colin the first time around, would Amy and the rest of the town had fell in love with him as hard as they did?

Quote:
Such a great point. I bet that is PRECISELY why he told Laynie. It never appeared as if Colin and Laynie were super close. They did not hate each other but did not seem the type to have some strong, emotional sibling bond. Colin did have a motive to tell Laynie and I think you hit it square on... Colin had minions and unfortunately in this case, his sister was one of them.
If this board hadn't gold me that Layne and Colin were brother and sister, it probably would've taken me multiple episodes to figure it out. They live on different planets like Laynie grew up in boarding school in England and Colin grew up in small town Everwood. They are just too polar opposite to be related. How Amy was friends with Laynie, not sure, other than Amy was mega obsessed with everything Colin that Laynie was just another way to be in Colin's world.

Quote:
Brilliant analysis. I think Amy would have such a different (negative) view on sex if she would have gone there with Colin. You are so right. There is no reason to believe that Amy would have felt anything mutual and super romantic with Colin. It would have been a physical act mostly and she might have really been temporarily confused on what it can be like to truly be with someone in every way and how incredibly romantic it can be.
It would've been physical and Amy would want to be closer to Colin and you know, Colin would've blown her off just like he did during the 4th of July event. He wouldn't have wanted to get into all the romantic stuff and just chalked it up to having sex for the first time. Would it have been Colin's first time too...not sure, my guess would not a big fat NO. Look at the long line of available girls that would jump at the chance to jump into bed with the great Colin Hart. I mean, how humiliated would Amy feel that she give her only virtuous act to Colin onto have it rubbed in her face. How long would it be before the entire town found out that Amy Abbott and Colin Hart had sex. How many girls at County High would judge Amy for having sex with Colin when there were much more "suitable" choices for him. The scenes practically write themselves the topic is so unavoidable. (hmmm...thinking )

Quote:
Bottom line is thankfully Colin did not take Amy's virginity!
He would've taken a lot more than her virginity, I'm sure.

Quote:
This is bizarre to say but I think even Tommy would have been more caring should she have lost her virginity to him. Another nightmare but I think Tommy would have had least faked it in a mutual way.
I hate to say that this is one time I wish I didn't agree with you Tommy was a great guy, but I think (as memory, I don't remember much about Tommy; episode to episode) the drugs is what did him in. He was obsessed with that lifestyle, the next hit, the next time he would feel good again. I think Tommy really cared about Amy, it's just his addition was so far gone that he couldn't let his heart feel for something that wasn't about the next drug in his system. Imagine if Amy's first time was with Tommy...either way, Amy loses (not sure if they even slept together...oh, on the journey of a rewatch I go )

Quote:
Berlanti would have been impressed and blown away.
If only Berlanti knew his Everwood created world still lived on in the same way it did in production.

Quote:
That is so wonderful! I did the same thing with Harry Potter with the analysis, notebooks, and writing, it was like a research project but it was only because I liked the material.
It's the same way I watch Everwood, I take notes on everything, sometimes things that don't matter so when I do my review, I can go back and write, in length, everything I wanted to talk about. Like 2 pages of notes per episode usually That's how I feel like I'm watching the episodes for the first time.

Quote:
I really wish S4 (since it seemed to parallel S1 quite a bit as the series inched closer to conclusion) would have revisited NYC Andy Brown more and filled in any missing blanks. I think it tried a little bit towards the end like when Andy’s father visited and of course we saw the evolution of father and son. But specific things about New York City would’ve been nice to kind of revisit and fill in some blanks during the final season of the series.
Do you think, if we had a Season 5, would Berlanti have done this...have Andy revisit his life in New York? I think if we had a Season 4, Andy would not have proposed to Nina...am I right?

Quote:
Right? It was very strange. I wonder why this was the case. Especially since it was King Colin Hart. Why would they ever want to leave any stone unturned?
Everwoodians are ones that are closed-minded. They see something, are told it's one way and never question it. You see this when Andy moves into town. They are all for Andy's free medical care and then when Andy starts talking to Julia around town, they go right back to Harold's practice. They go where they are told to go and do not think for themselves.

Also, everyone loved Colin, so losing him was like losing their own son. It was decided that Colin was driving, no one wanted to disrupt the family anymore and everyone let it go...like it never happened. If Amy hadn't pursued Colin being operated on by Andy and using Ephram to do that; Andy, Delia and Ephram would never know that Colin Hart existed.

Quote:
Exactly right. You have to wonder if Brian fully understood that Andy and his children were broken and not very close at the time of his visit. If so, why would he even be promoting them to return to New York?
I think Brian was going on the notion that Andy loved exactly what he was doing, the exact work schedule and everything involved. Andy knows how to charm people, look how happy he seemed to be when moving to Everwood when, really, he was as miserable as any man who just suddenly lost his wife. Brian was like everyone else, WHY. Why would the greatest neurosurgeon of this century just leave everything and be happy as a country doctor. Maybe Andy never wanted to be a hot shot neurosurgeon. Why did Andy pick neurosurgery, did we ever figure that out? Yes, the man is gifted as hell and would have been dynamic at any part of the medical field. Was it because the brain is the most challenging organ, and we all know Andy Brown doesn't walk away from a challenge. Whoever said it, Andy wasn't the best student, but he was dedicated. Andy proved when working on Colin he knows how to handle even the most advanced, challenged situations. I guess cardio wouldn't do it for him. If Andy had this dream of being a country doctor then why, oh why, did he set out to be a brain doctor in one of the busiest, biggest cities in the united states? Maybe, again, I'm overthinking, but Andy could've had it all if he was upstate, in a tiny town, being a country doctor. He wouldn't be as wealthy...but would he be as happy. Having the life Andy did, pre Everwood, he didn't seem happy...just driven. But...FOR WHAT and to what cost?

Quote:
That is so true. In addition, Ephram made the mixtape very naturally for Andy in Everwood. He is creative, he is empathic, but it seemed like he had prior experience.
Ephram is that quirky boy who you really think is just a normal guy and then BAM, you realize there's nothing normal about him and there will always be something extraordinary about him

I think this is the first time we get to see Ephram be nice to Andy and actually admire his father. I love that Andy knew exactly who made the mixtape. I wonder if Andy realized that it was probably a combined effort (Ephram more than Julia) who made the mixtapes.

Quote:
I agree. For as much as we do not like many aspects of Colin, he cannot be fully blamed here. He really was inexperienced and as we know the pressure that Amy Abbott can bring, especially so very early on, is overwhelming. LOL. Yes, Colin clearly insinuates Amy was his only girlfriend. It is also never insinuated he cheated on her in the least. I think he just felt like it was the next step, he found her cute, he liked her personally, and went there. Then realized he was too immature and not prepared for all the seriousness Amy brought to the table and he did not know how to handle it... and then went there handling it poorly as expected.
AGREED! Colin didn't want to break her heart, he didn't hate Amy by any means but he certainly didn't want to be in a romantic relationship with her. But the more time went on, the worse it got and the more Amy got attached.

Do you think that Amy finally let her guard down when meeting Ephram and not trying to control everything like she did when her and Colin were dating?

Quote:
I completely agree. I am shocked she did not really go with full on rage after finding this out about Bright. It did not make any sense why she was so calm, it was not in character. She was super blunt with Amy basically close to yelling at her to get out of the hospital so why on earth wasn't she enraged, confused or at least questioning what really went on during the accident? She might have trusted and liked Bright but still... this is a completely different scenario involving her very terminally ill son.
It's almost like she puts Amy in the driver's seat of the truck and Bright on the sidelines. It's still very strange how she blames someone who wasn't even there. Did Mrs. Hart think that Amy's relationship with Colin drove him to do wild, careless things? Makes my head hurt trying to see Mrs. Hart's side of things.

I think Andy wanted this as well... or he thought about this even subconsciously. It could have even been why he "pushed" Julia into the affair... something had to give, he had to change, or be forced into change. He wanted it but like you said, he did not want to let anyone down or be seen as a failure. He wanted the superhero title but was still... failing the city (and his family).

Do you think if Julia gave Andy an ultimatum that Andy would give up his lifestyle/career as a top neurosurgeon? All that Andy had put Julia through with never being there and always working, it's a wonder why she stayed as long as she did. What if Andy never found out about the affair and she had ended it. What then? She'd just hold this secret forever and hope her husband changes one day?
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Reply   Post New Thread