Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
When Ephram said "Maybe...he was just having a hard time with the words. You know, sometimes people really want to say something, but, you just can't," I think he was talking about himself. He wanted to tell Amy that he loved her, but at that point, he couldn't, considering how obsessed she was with Colin. You really have to hand to to Ephram to offer empathy to a girl who was in love with someone else when he loved that girl with all his heart.
He definitely meant him. Amy telling Ephram... it’s not what you think was a sign Ephram/Amy were in the gray area. She meant he wouldn’t be jealous. There was a lot going on there. Amy called him but never asked him to meet her because like Nina said... she didn’t think she had the right. She didn’t want Ephram to see how upset she was. It was Ephram who arrived on his own knowing she needed that emotional connection.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I saw the whole accident scenario in a completely different light now that I got to see this episode again. Bright really was just going along with what Colin wanted and he knew he was in no shape to drive, but he just did what Colin pushed him to do. It was also key that Colin had brought the liquor that contributed to the accident. I remember Bright telling Harold that he had been driving when they had the accident but I forgot that they both told the Harts.
Absolutely. I remembered they told the Harts but forgot that Harold and Bright never mentioned the drinking. I wonder if the hospital ever checked to see if Colin had alcohol in his system. Bright was never checked out so maybe not. But what I liked about it was he didn’t really have to tell the Harts about the drinking since Mrs. Hart already knew it intuitively there was drinking involved.

Quote:
I think we saw where Colin got some of his arrogance from: his father. In both this episode and the previous episode, Mr. Hart came off as pretty arrogant to me, and what he said to Bright was downright cruel.
So true. He literally insinuated it should have been Bright in the coma, not Colin. I’m surprised Harold didn’t go off on him. Little did he know his son set everything up.

Quote:
This was the only episode where we got a good glimpse of pre-accident Colin, and to be honest, I don't think he was all that different from post-accident Colin once he got his memory back. I really liked Colin initially when he hadn't yet recovered his memory and he befriended Ephram, but as he did get his memory back, he became more and more arrogant, and we saw glimpses of that arrogance in this episode. Amy could well have been right that Colin was running away from her when him and Bright took off, and it seems like their relationship wouldn't have lasted much longer if that accident didn't happen.
I agree. I was looking back on past comments from other rewatches and posters. It’s amazing to me how many loved Colin and never saw or cared about what we’re discussing. It’s strange. I feel like I’m missing something.

I do think that’s precisely what Colin was doing. He wanted to get away so he didn’t have to face Amy’s bad mood and give a response to her ILY. He even tried manipulating it basically saying he meant to say it back but proceeded to still never say it. He was going to break up with her! He was playing with Amy’s heart so much. It still bothers me to this day Amy never found out about this.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-21-2021 at 06:04 PM
Old 02-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I thought that this was another emotionally powerful episode of this show as we saw, in a series of flashbacks, the circumstances that led to the accident that put Colin in a coma, and some surprising secrets were revealed that put everything that happened in an entirely different light.

The opening flashback showed an idyllic scene between Bright, Amy, and Colin as they swam and relaxed at a place called Buck’s Rock, and we got to see a glimpse of Colin Hart before his accident. Colin seemed a bit cocky, and he was caught off guard when Amy told him that she loved him, but he didn’t say it back, a fact that would haunt Amy as she put her necklace, which he had playfully taken away from her on that fateful day as he dared her to jump in the lake with him, in his hand as he was being prepared for surgery.

I liked seeing Andy explain the surgery that he would be performing on Colin to the Harts, but once again I found them both a little arrogant when Mrs. Hart asked Andy for some kind of guarantee, and Andy responded that he had performed over 2,600 surgeries and he never had one where he cared more about the outcome.

I loved meeting Brian, Andy’s second in command, as he brought gifts from New York, and I loved the conversation between them as Andy expressed his fears about performing the upcoming surgery on Colin, and I loved it when Brian said “Before you took me under your wing, Andy, I never believed that there were people put on this earth to fix God’s mistakes. That’s the kind of gift that doesn’t go away. Sleep easy Dr. Brown. You’re going to be great.”

I liked seeing Delia’s concern that Andy would be working at the hospital all the time again, and Andy assured her that it was only this one time, and I thought it was touching that Ephram made Andy a mix CD for his upcoming surgery.

I liked that Amy called Ephram from the hospital, showing that she was thinking of him, but Ephram sort of said the wrong things to her in his nervousness, much to his regret.

We saw in the flashback that the ever-pompous Harold was so concerned about appearances as the whole Abbott family was dressed up in Colonial outfits, and we saw that Amy and Colin had an argument about the fact that he didn’t say I love you back to her when she said those words to him, and he still wouldn’t say I love you at the 4th of July celebration, and she left him hurt and angry.

I liked the conversation between Nina and Ephram when she told him about Colin being a charmer and that Ephram would like him and he would like Ephram. I loved how Ephram told Nina about his feelings for Amy and how she encouraged Ephram to go to the hospital to be with Amy, and that he had to decide what kind of friend that he wanted to be to Amy. I liked it when Ephram said “You know, I forgot how good women are at this stuff,” showing how much he missed Julia’s advice, and also showing that Nina was capable of at least partially filling that void with the advice that she gave him.

We saw in the flashback scenes that Colin had brought a flask of whiskey to the 4th of July celebration and that they were both drinking, and we saw that they had both taken off in Colin’s father’s truck as a worried Amy looked on.

I liked the way that they juxtaposed the expertise that Andy and Brian displayed performing Colin’s very involved surgery with the flashback scene of Bright and Colin racing their friends in his father’s truck, and we saw that it was Bright that was driving when they had the accident, and that Colin had put Bright up to driving the truck right before they had the accident. I was so moved by Bright’s tearful confession to Harold that he was the one driving the truck when they had the accident, and that they were drinking, and Chris Pratt did an incredible job in that scene.

I thought that it was very brave of Bright to confess to the Harts that he was the one driving when they had their accident, but Mr. Hart was really cruel when he lashed out at Bright and when he said “That shouldn't be my son in there.” I was glad that Mrs. Hart showed caring and understanding toward Bright, unlike her husband, as she confessed to Bright that she thought that she knew that her son was drinking and that he took the car keys, thus helping to alleviate some of Bright’s anguish and feelings of guilt.

I loved it when Ephram showed up at the hospital, much to Amy’s delight, and I loved it when Amy told Ephram that he was a good friend.

I loved the scene between Ephram and Amy when she told him that when Colin woke up, she was going to tell him how sorry she was as she related the story about the fight that they had and I loved it when Ephram said that he used to blame himself for the accident that caused his mother’s death, but the truth was is that it was what it was, an accident, offering her the kind of comfort and empathy that she couldn’t get from anyone else. I loved it when Amy said that it was kind of amazing that of all the people she knew in her whole life, he was the only one that showed up.

I liked how Brian told him that he was better than he was before and “if you finish this sabbatical, come back home. We still need the guy that can fix God's mistakes”, but Andy replied that Everwood was his home now and that he was working on one of God’s bigger mistakes, namely the way he had treated Julia and their family.

I liked the final scene between Ephram and Andy, and the final idyllic flashback scene as Irv narrated and Colin, Bright and Amy relaxed at Buck’s Rock, before the fateful accident that changed all their lives.

Overall, I thought this was another excellent episode of this wonderful show.
Great review!

I think one of the biggest points to take away from this episode was a sort of test for Andy Brown... NYC, both professionally and even personally with the coffee and food was brought to Andy... after Andy performed “a miracle” would he have a taste for that glory as a world famous neurosurgeon again and be tempted to take the family back to NYC? Not even for a second. He passed the test. Everwood was his home, he confidently told his partner. It was a terrific demonstration of the real evolution of Andy.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Great review!
Thanks!

Quote:
I think one of the biggest points to take away from this episode was a sort of test for Andy Brown... NYC, both professionally and even personally with the coffee and food was brought to Andy... after Andy performed “a miracle” would he have a taste for that glory as a world famous neurosurgeon again and be tempted to take the family back to NYC? Not even for a second. He passed the test. Everwood was his home, he confidently told his partner. It was a terrific demonstration of the real evolution of Andy.
That's very true.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Here's my ranking of the episodes so far:

1. Pilot
2. The Great Doctor Brown
3. We Hold These Truths
4. Deer God
5. The Doctor Is In
6. The Kissing Bridge
7. Friendly Fire

I put We Hold These Truths up high because it was a pivotal episode that revealed how these characters got to where they were at that point.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 02-21-2021, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I saw in this episode that although Amy idolized Colin after he had his accident, she seemed frustrated with him before his accident, and if Colin really did love Amy, he would have said I love you right back to her as soon as she told him she loved him, so the fact that he didn't say those words spoke volumes and she knew it.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I’m not a huge fan of flashback episodes but this one was needed I think. We needed to know more about Colin. Unfortunately, he didn’t come off in a great light imo. They painted him to be pretty reckless, a bit of a bad influence, and also a bit inconsiderate of Amy’s feelings. It makes you wonder why she was so in love with him. But I do like that he wasn’t written to be this perfect guy and he had flaws too. OT but Emily’s body is so nice And that ending scene was sweet/sad.

I did like that we got to see bit more of Bright in this episode finally. And it was understandable why he was so hesitant to see Colin at the hospital and wait for him to wake up. You can tell how guilty he felt for the accident and the fact that he had been keeping this huge secret for so long adds to the guilt. Not sure why he decided to tell his father now. Good for Bright doing the right thing but ugh, such a complicated situation because revealing that truth now is not gonna go well for anyone. That had to be hard for his parents to hear. The mom was wrong though, I mean, it does change everything! IF Colin dies, it’s Bright’s fault. He was drinking and could go to jail for manslaughter.

Ephram worrying about Amy in the episode was so sweet. And It was adorable that he went to the hospital to see her and asked to share the twix AWWWWWW. I also loved him bringing lots of games to keep Amy entertained. Ephram making a cd for his father was also adorable. He had a great episode. + Amy saying Ephram was the only person that showed up was great.

I liked “uncle” Brian and felt he was a nice and genuine character. Wish we got to see more of him. His role in the episode felt a tad pointless.

Good job Andy doing well with the surgery. The scene with Ephram at the end was great.

Overall I’d rate the episode pretty high due to the importance of it. Probably a low 9. (Ill list my favorite episodes at the end of the season)

Best characters this episode: (not necessarily my favorite but just how important they were in the episode)
1. Ephram
2. Bright
3. Andy
4. Amy
5. Brian

Mrs. Hart actually had a great episode for her character too, her forgiveness was huge. And of course, we finally got to see some of Colin but I’ll wait to add him to any list until we really get to see him in the present.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I’m not a huge fan of flashback episodes but this one was needed I think. We needed to know more about Colin. Unfortunately, he didn’t come off in a great light imo. They painted him to be pretty reckless, a bit of a bad influence, and also a bit inconsiderate of Amy’s feelings. It makes you wonder why she was so in love with him. But I do like that he wasn’t written to be this perfect guy and he had flaws too.
I thought that the flashbacks really were necessary to allow us to "see" Colin and get to know him a little, and set the tone for the rest of the season after he "woke up" following his surgery.

Quote:
OT but Emily’s body is so nice
You won't get an argument out of me on that point!

Quote:
And that ending scene was sweet/sad.
Yes, the ending scene really was really bittersweet, one last moment of bliss for Bright, Colin and Amy before their lives changed forever.

Quote:
I did like that we got to see bit more of Bright in this episode finally. And it was understandable why he was so hesitant to see Colin at the hospital and wait for him to wake up. You can tell how guilty he felt for the accident and the fact that he had been keeping this huge secret for so long adds to the guilt. Not sure why he decided to tell his father now. Good for Bright doing the right thing but ugh, such a complicated situation because revealing that truth now is not gonna go well for anyone. That had to be hard for his parents to hear. The mom was wrong though, I mean, it does change everything! IF Colin dies, it’s Bright’s fault. He was drinking and could go to jail for manslaughter.
Yes, this was the first episode where Bright didn't come off as a stereotypical mean bully and a somewhat dim witted member of the Abbott family. I thought that Chris Pratt did an incredible job in this episode. I think that Colin's mother said that it didn't change anything because she didn't want Bright to feel bad. As far as drinking and driving go, it seemed like the authorities didn't check if Bright and Colin were drinking at the time of the accident, so I don't think that charges could be filed now unless Mr. Hart went to the authorities now.

Quote:
Ephram worrying about Amy in the episode was so sweet. And It was adorable that he went to the hospital to see her and asked to share the twix AWWWWWW. I also loved him bringing lots of games to keep Amy entertained. Ephram making a cd for his father was also adorable. He had a great episode. + Amy saying Ephram was the only person that showed up was great.
Yes, I really loved all the scenes between them.

Quote:
I liked “uncle” Brian and felt he was a nice and genuine character. Wish we got to see more of him. His role in the episode felt a tad pointless.
I really liked him too and I wish that we had seen him again.

Quote:
Good job Andy doing well with the surgery. The scene with Ephram at the end was great.
I really liked seeing Andy in his element, and we saw what a great surgeon he was.

Quote:
Overall I’d rate the episode pretty high due to the importance of it. Probably a low 9. (Ill list my favorite episodes at the end of the season)
I thought that it was a terrific episode.

Quote:
Best characters this episode: (not necessarily my favorite but just how important they were in the episode)
1. Ephram
2. Bright
3. Andy
4. Amy
5. Brian
I like your ranking.

Quote:
Mrs. Hart actually had a great episode for her character too, her forgiveness was huge. And of course, we finally got to see some of Colin but I’ll wait to add him to any list until we really get to see him in the present.
I was really impressed with Mrs' Hart's kindness and empathy for Bright's anguish and guilt in this episode, especially opposed to how her husband reacted to Bright's news.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Here's my ranking of the episodes so far:

1. Pilot
2. The Great Doctor Brown
3. We Hold These Truths
4. Deer God
5. The Doctor Is In
6. The Kissing Bridge
7. Friendly Fire

I put We Hold These Truths up high because it was a pivotal episode that revealed how these characters got to where they were at that point.
That is my exact ranking as well.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I saw in this episode that although Amy idolized Colin after he had his accident, she seemed frustrated with him before his accident, and if Colin really did love Amy, he would have said I love you right back to her as soon as she told him she loved him, so the fact that he didn't say those words spoke volumes and she knew it.
100%. We've talked about Amy idolizing Colin and thinking that he was perfect while ignoring his flaws. Really, those flashbacks indicated the opposite. She still held tight in thinking they were meant to be as far as the town thinking as much. She thought this was almost expected. But when she was actually interacting with Colin, she did not come across as clueless and forgiving. She was pissed and wanted a proper explanation from him. But like Nina said to Ephram, Colin was a charmer and we saw this very clearly in the flashbacks. He charmed his way out of the fight since she agreed to meet him for the fireworks. But she was still not happy or content, you could very clearly see this. When he got into the accident, all of Amy's down to earth thinking flew out the window because she obviously didn't want him to die. It kept her less grounded during this time period, she just wanted him to live. We know if Colin would have survived they wouldn't have lasted long because Amy had completely fallen for Ephram by this time period. In addition, hopefully Amy would have found out from Laynie (if Colin didn't remember) that Colin gave up on the relationship way before the accident.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I’m not a huge fan of flashback episodes but this one was needed I think. We needed to know more about Colin. Unfortunately, he didn’t come off in a great light imo. They painted him to be pretty reckless, a bit of a bad influence, and also a bit inconsiderate of Amy’s feelings. It makes you wonder why she was so in love with him. But I do like that he wasn’t written to be this perfect guy and he had flaws too.
You summed this up so perfectly. Completely agree.

Quote:
OT but Emily’s body is so nice
She really does have a nice body, she still does in the present. It's perfect. Always fit and not stick thin without muscle but toned and very healthy.

Quote:
And that ending scene was sweet/sad.
Very bittersweet.

Quote:
This is what always confused me. I wonder why law enforcement didn't get involved from the start. It should be automatic they immediately test both Colin and Bright for alcohol use. I don't think they did so this is probably how legally he would have gotten off. I don't know though... if he admitted he was the driving and had been drinking, would he still be prosecuted even if they don't have the conclusive evidence that he was drinking? They might have thrown it out because it's one thing for him to admit he had been drinking and quite another for the authorities to have exact evidence he was drunk. They would need that official alcohol number and they didn't have it. So maybe in the legal sense he wasn't drunk. I think we all know he was based on what we viewed. It wasn't just a beer, it was hard stuff and they had a lot before and after the play/festival thing. But it wasn't calculated so maybe that's how he wouldn't be prosecuted.

Quote:
I love them so much.

Quote:
He should have visited more. It was clear both Ephram and Delia loved him.

Quote:
I loved their ending scene.

Quote:
I agree with this rating.

Quote:
1. Ephram
2. Bright
3. Andy
4. Amy
5. Brian

I love your ranking. Ephram/Bright/Andy are clearly the stars of this episode.

I also have to give Harold credit for how he handled Bright's confession. We can rip Harold for being an annoying parent at times but he handled Bright's confession calmly, with tons of support and helped him get through telling the Harts. Well done, Harold.

I love how you can see very early on that Mrs. Hart isn't the problem when it comes to Colin's parents. Colin's dad is definitely a little too flawed.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
100%. We've talked about Amy idolizing Colin and thinking that he was perfect while ignoring his flaws. Really, those flashbacks indicated the opposite. She still held tight in thinking they were meant to be as far as the town thinking as much. She thought this was almost expected. But when she was actually interacting with Colin, she did not come across as clueless and forgiving. She was pissed and wanted a proper explanation from him. But like Nina said to Ephram, Colin was a charmer and we saw this very clearly in the flashbacks. He charmed his way out of the fight since she agreed to meet him for the fireworks. But she was still not happy or content, you could very clearly see this. When he got into the accident, all of Amy's down to earth thinking flew out the window because she obviously didn't want him to die. It kept her less grounded during this time period, she just wanted him to live. We know if Colin would have survived they wouldn't have lasted long because Amy had completely fallen for Ephram by this time period. In addition, hopefully Amy would have found out from Laynie (if Colin didn't remember) that Colin gave up on the relationship way before the accident.
Excellent points Michelle. We also saw that once Colin was fully back, Amy was really getting tired of his attitude, especially toward Ephram, before he collapsed and a second surgery was going to be required. It was just a matter of time before she broke up with him, but then he didn't survive that second operation, which sent her into an emotional tailspin and a deep depression.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

While writing up a DC post on our thread I just thought of this Everwood episode and Colin referencing Katie Holmes. Berlanti had to get that in there. LOL. I wanted to jump through the screen and tell Colin he had EVC which means you don’t think about Katie Holmes for even a second.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Excellent points Michelle. We also saw that once Colin was fully back, Amy was really getting tired of his attitude, especially toward Ephram, before he collapsed and a second surgery was going to be required. It was just a matter of time before she broke up with him, but then he didn't survive that second operation, which sent her into an emotional tailspin and a deep depression.
Precisely. I can’t wait to watch Vegetative State which highlights this so beautifully. She wanted to be with Ephram so much in this episode but it was Ephram who told her the timing wasn’t right. Amy and Colin wouldn’t have lasted 3 months (maybe less) had he officially survived.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
While writing up a DC post on our thread I just thought of this Everwood episode and Colin referencing Katie Holmes. Berlanti had to get that in there. LOL. I wanted to jump through the screen and tell Colin he had EVC which means you don’t think about Katie Holmes for even a second.
There's no comparison between the two, then, and most especially now.

Reply   Post New Thread