Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2016, 12:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apt (View Post)
Well if people would have responded to my last two posts so
I didn't seem like a thread killer maybe the thread would still be active?

Thanks for bumping and opening again! Great thread, let's get it rolling again.
I just think that you summed up perfectly why people are on the two ends of the spectrum when it comes to Colin. Even in this forum we could say that we have two different groups. One that liked Colin and felt sorry for him (like me and Taryn) and others who saw him as jerk.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretk (View Post)
I just think that you summed up perfectly why people are on the two ends of the spectrum when it comes to Colin. Even in this forum we could say that we have two different groups. One that liked Colin and felt sorry for him (like me and Taryn) and others who saw him as jerk.
It's interesting that this question is very similar to our episode discussion question. I guess it's a good question! lol
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Yeah, I guess they didn't want to devote too much time to Colin's backstory, which is understandable since he wasn't the guy Amy was going to end up with for good. But it's frustrating for those of us who don't hate him and want to understand him better, we just didn't get enough info to go on.

And most of the info we did get was filtered through either Amy or Bright, and it stands to reason they may have glossed over some of his more negative qualities even in their own memories. That makes it even harder for us to get a true picture of him.

Damn you, Berlanti.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Here's a new one... not an opinion but certainly a controversial question:

Did Ephram/Amy do anything wrong when they semi-acted on their feelings while Colin was in a coma and temporarily recovering? Do you see this as a form of cheating on Amy's end given that she was essentially still with Colin while she has an immediate emotional/romantic connection with Ephram and they even kissed twice (Mine/Thanksgiving)?
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Here's a new one... not an opinion but certainly a controversial question:

Did Ephram/Amy do anything wrong when they semi-acted on their feelings while Colin was in a coma and temporarily recovering? Do you see this as a form of cheating on Amy's end given that she was essentially still with Colin while she has an immediate emotional/romantic connection with Ephram and they even kissed twice (Mine/Thanksgiving)?
Interesting question . From what I remember, Amy still considered Colin her boyfriend, so yes she was cheating on Colin, but the answer is not that simple. Was Amy saying Colin was her boyfriend out of some sense of guilt?

It is hard enough for a girl her age to stay focused on a living breathing boyfriend.

Ephram had no idea who Colin was, and thus did not feel as if was poaching someone else's girlfriend.

Amy was enjoying the attentions of a new boy as Colin was essentially out of the picture, she gave in as by this time memories of Colin were starting to fade, he was taking almost mythological status in her mind.

So answer has to be no; how could you cheat on someone who for all practical purposes did not exist.

I personally think the show would have been more interesting if they had kept Colin alive.
TL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)
Interesting question . From what I remember, Amy still considered Colin her boyfriend, so yes she was cheating on Colin, but the answer is not that simple. Was Amy saying Colin was her boyfriend out of some sense of guilt?

It is hard enough for a girl her age to stay focused on a living breathing boyfriend.

Ephram had no idea who Colin was, and thus did not feel as if was poaching someone else's girlfriend.

Amy was enjoying the attentions of a new boy as Colin was essentially out of the picture, she gave in as by this time memories of Colin were starting to fade, he was taking almost mythological status in her mind.

So answer has to be no; how could you cheat on someone who for all practical purposes did not exist.

I personally think the show would have been more interesting if they had kept Colin alive.
Tony, thanks for participating! I always love your intellectual thoughts.

You are right, it's not that simple. I love your description of Colin starting to fade, almost mythological status. That's so true! Great psychological interpretation. Such great stuff.

I also think given the state of Amy's relationship with Colin before the break up, this aspect played a part too. We saw in the flashback moments before the accident how unhappy Amy and Colin were. They were fighting, Amy was very unhappy and Colin basically couldn't have cared less about Amy and their romantic relationship. We found out later in present time through Laynie that her brother was planning on breaking up with Amy which certainly makes his treatment of Amy connect to him wanting out of the relationship. Their relationship wasn't solid. It was almost severed romantically and the only thing preventing it from becoming official was the accident.

Amy had to have known deep down they were not working out. She clinged to the fantasy after he got seriously injured but you could tell she wasn't living in fantasy-land right before the accident with the fighting and being so unhappy. She was miserable as Colin was basically blowing her off. Their relationship was not stable and ready for a break up. I think that played a part, especially since it felt so right for her being around Ephram. She was immediately drawn to Ephram, she had never felt such a strong emotional/romantic connection before.

So I agree with you that it wasn't truly cheating.

I think if Colin would have lived, their relationship still would have been headed for a break up regardless. It just would have taken longer to go there. I feel like the story wouldn't have been about Amy and Colin romantically. Colin probably would have been around as a good friend of Bright's and at least initially wouldn't like Ephram very much. I feel like Colin would have been okay with breaking up with Amy (since he wanted to anyway) but he still wouldn't have liked Ephram and Amy together because Amy was an ex and he might have felt like Ephram defeated him in a way. He seemed cocky enough to let this bother him. I am not sure. It would have been interesting to see how Colin would have fit in had he survived. Who knows, maybe Colin and Madison would have lived happily ever after together.

Last edited by jediwands; 07-16-2016 at 03:25 PM
Old 04-08-2017, 02:04 AM
Addicted Fan

It seems I am acquiring a taste for bumping older threads...

Now I don't want to put an end to previous discussions, seeing as what I have is a question more than a controversy and it probably doesn't warrant a discussion, but it's something I've been wondering about and this is the most recently active thread that seems appropriate for me to post this in... so I'll just...

I was interested in hearing some opinions on Amy declaring Women's Studies as her major (did I say that right?) - because I, for one, can't really relate. And by that I don't mean that I am against abortion and women's rights, absolutely not, it's just that the feminist movement seems a bit... out there to me, even extremist at times and I just hadn't really seen that coming for Amy prior to season 4. Her whole "power to the women" attitude in season four really threw me and, being ten years wiser now, it still does - it just came so out of the blue as if it was more about rebellion, claiming her independence from the men in her life, than about a sustained interest in the subject matter. And because of that I have difficulty imagining her actually majoring in Women's Studies - I always thought that phase would have ended had there been a season five... it's not the career I would have picked out for her.
Abomasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomasum (View Post)
It seems I am acquiring a taste for bumping older threads...
You are bumping Everwood thread so it's welcome .

Quote:
I was interested in hearing some opinions on Amy declaring Women's Studies as her major (did I say that right?) - because I, for one, can't really relate. And by that I don't mean that I am against abortion and women's rights, absolutely not, it's just that the feminist movement seems a bit... out there to me, even extremist at times and I just hadn't really seen that coming for Amy prior to season 4. Her whole "power to the women" attitude in season four really threw me and, being ten years wiser now, it still does - it just came so out of the blue as if it was more about rebellion, claiming her independence from the men in her life, than about a sustained interest in the subject matter. And because of that I have difficulty imagining her actually majoring in Women's Studies - I always thought that phase would have ended had there been a season five... it's not the career I would have picked out for her.
Well I do share your opinion. I actually did not enjoy this story line. I am OK with women fighting for their rights, but for me Amy took it to extreme.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm thinking that they threw in this storyline for Amy for the purpose of causing some controversy between her and Hannah. It was kind of out of the blue. As far as a career choice for Amy… that's a Toughie. She never showed interest in going into medicine like her dad . I'm thinking that she is more apt to go towards politics like her mom or law. She is so darn thorough with everything… Loves to investigate and find reasons and solutions. She'd make a great lawyer.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
You are bumping Everwood thread so it's welcome .
Well, that's good then. Everwood is what I'm here for, after all...

Quote:
Well I do share your opinion. I actually did not enjoy this story line. I am OK with women fighting for their rights, but for me Amy took it to extreme.
Oh, good! I thought I might be alone in this... she was extreme, wasn't she? I mean, I thought it might be a cultural thing, seeing as I was lucky enough to grow up in a world where there hasn't been a need for feminist rebellion since before I was even born... and I can see that that is different in the US... so it makes sense that I would have some difficulty relating to it, but at the same time, being a girl doesn't seem to have caused any problems in Amy's life either... so I would maintain that her being so extreme about it was a bit... uncalled-for... not to mention that her girl crush on her lecturer was super weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I'm thinking that they threw in this storyline for Amy for the purpose of causing some controversy between her and Hannah. It was kind of out of the blue. As far as a career choice for Amy… that's a Toughie. She never showed interest in going into medicine like her dad . I'm thinking that she is more apt to go towards politics like her mom or law. She is so darn thorough with everything… Loves to investigate and find reasons and solutions. She'd make a great lawyer.
That's an interesting point, actually, it does seem like it might have been thrown in solely for the purpose of causing friction between Amy and others (her father, too, I reckon)... and yet, if that was it, then why on earth did they have to have her say that it was going to be her major in Foreverwood? Conflicts were over with at that point, they could have abandoned the story there, but they chose not to... I just wish they would have left that one open...

I have been pondering career choices for Amy, too, and politics and law certainly came up for me as well... it would fit well with her immersing herself so much in everything that she does. I also would have loved to see her follow in Rose's footsteps, finding some admiration for her mother's achievements and building that relationship as she did in that one deleted scene...

But the show also brought up chemistry quite a few times... so I am wondering if that would have been something they were considering as well..
Abomasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomasum (View Post)
Well, that's good then. Everwood is what I'm here for, after all...
Exactly !

Quote:
Oh, good! I thought I might be alone in this... she was extreme, wasn't she? I mean, I thought it might be a cultural thing, seeing as I was lucky enough to grow up in a world where there hasn't been a need for feminist rebellion since before I was even born... and I can see that that is different in the US... so it makes sense that I would have some difficulty relating to it, but at the same time, being a girl doesn't seem to have caused any problems in Amy's life either... so I would maintain that her being so extreme about it was a bit... uncalled-for... not to mention that her girl crush on her lecturer was super weird.
The thing is I don't think that Amy was discriminated in any shape or form. It just came a little bit out of nowhere and created this huge discussion with Hannah where honestly both went too far. So they have different opinions, it's OK. I do like Betty's theory that they created this for the sake of having Hannah and Amy at odds.

Quote:
I have been pondering career choices for Amy, too, and politics and law certainly came up for me as well... it would fit well with her immersing herself so much in everything that she does. I also would have loved to see her follow in Rose's footsteps, finding some admiration for her mother's achievements and building that relationship as she did in that one deleted scene...
I do see Amy working something like that .

Quote:
But the show also brought up chemistry quite a few times... so I am wondering if that would have been something they were considering as well..
I think that in the States students do study all kind of subjects in the first two years in college. It changes once they choose major but I might be wrong. Betty and Michelle can say more about this.

In any case I was always with the impression that Amy studied chemistry because she had to, not because she chose it. And I also thought that she struggled with it.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
As far as a career choice for Amy… that's a Toughie. She never showed interest in going into medicine like her dad .
I remember when she found out Hannah's dad was sick she did a bunch of medical research on the illness, even asking Jake about some things. I don't know if that was a sign she might be interested in the medical profession or not:

Quote:
[Cut to the Everwood Library – Dr. Hartman enters with a load of books in his arms. The Librarian is at her check out counter. Dr. Hartman walks up to the counter.]

DR. HARTMAN: Hi there.

LIBRARIAN: Sshh.

DR. HARTMAN: Hi. Doctor Jake Hartman. It’s nice to meet you.

LIBRARIAN: (going through the books) These are six weeks overdue.

DR. HARTMAN: Yeah. See, I never really went to the library back in LA, more of an amazon.com kinda guy, you know? But I thought I’d give it a shot here, it seemed Everwoody and all. Anyway, I’m-I’m obviously not so good with the book return concept. You should see my Blockbuster bill. Killer. Uh, do you take checks?

LIBRARIAN: No.

AMY: Doctor Jake?

[Dr. Hartman turns around to find Amy, looking through some books.]

AMY: (CONT'D) Can you possibly help me with something?

[Dr. Hartman walks over to Amy to talk.]

DR. HARTMAN: Sure thing. You’re Amy Abbott, right? You’re Edna’s granddaughter.

AMY: Umm, hmm.

DR. HARTMAN: I thought you looked familiar. She keeps like three pictures of you on her desk.

AMY: Yeah, she’s sweet. Umm, do you know what the basal ganglia does exactly?

DR. HARTMAN: Not a fan of small talk. Got it.

AMY: Well, I know it’s part of the brain that regulates voluntary movements and I know that the caudate nucleus is in the same part of the brain, only it’s in charge of like, organizing thoughts and awareness and stuff.

DR. HARTMAN: Yeah. Are you like pre-med or something?

AMY: Undeclared. I just don’t understand why they’re so close together, if they do such different things? It’s like selling toasters in the make-up department.

DR. HARTMAN: Well, the-the logic of brain architecture is a pretty hot debate among neuroanatomists. What are you looking at specifically?

AMY: Huntington’s disease.

DR. HARTMAN: Ooh. Huntington’s is like the cruise missile of neurodegeneration and it hits the worst spot possible.

AMY: But how do you treat it, ‘cause I haven’t seen anything here?

DR. HARTMAN: That’s because we don’t. We don’t know how yet. Maybe if Washington didn’t waste so much time arguing the moral ethics of stem cell research we’d have a cure by now, but as it stands, we got nothing. So basically if you have it, you’re gonna die. It might take a little while, but…

AMY: And how do you get it? Is it like a virus?

DR. HARTMAN: No, it’s genetic. One tweaked chromosome – the tiniest thing – you could possibly even imagine and you’re screwed for life.

AMY: Genetics. That means if one of your parents has it…

DR. HARTMAN: Then there’s a 50% chance you’re gonna have it too. Anywho, it’s super nice to meet you. I’m gonna go pay for my books and head back out. It’s pretty great outside, it’s all sunny and cold, you should try and enjoy it.

AMY: Yeah, thanks.
She said she was undeclared but this might have been a hint that she could be going into medicine eventually. Jake seemed pretty impressed with how easily she picked up on some of the research. Who knows.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

The flu was kicking my a$$ last week so I missed a bunch of these threads!

Quote:
I think that in the States students do study all kind of subjects in the first two years in college. It changes once they choose major but I might be wrong. Betty and Michelle can say more about this.
It depends on what type of college you go to... if you go to a four year college for your undergraduate (Bachelors), then you do take many general education courses during those first two years, you are correct. You focus more on your major during those last two years but as early as year one many are still taking courses for the major/s you want to obtain.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I remember when she found out Hannah's dad was sick she did a bunch of medical research on the illness, even asking Jake about some things. I don't know if that was a sign she might be interested in the medical profession or not:

She said she was undeclared but this might have been a hint that she could be going into medicine eventually. Jake seemed pretty impressed with how easily she picked up on some of the research. Who knows.
Good finding Michelle! I had forgotten about this. You are right in this case she showed interest in medicine as well as her skills into doing research.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
The flu was kicking my a$$ last week so I missed a bunch of these threads!
No worries. We still have time to discuss those topics.

Quote:
It depends on what type of college you go to... if you go to a four year college for your undergraduate (Bachelors), then you do take many general education courses during those first two years, you are correct. You focus more on your major during those last two years but as early as year one many are still taking courses for the major/s you want to obtain.
Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense and it also fits in a way my theory. We saw only a glimpse of the first year of Amy's college life so we can't conclude based on this what would her major be. I don't think that she was that sure either. At least it wasn't discussed in the show.