View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
As far as a career choice for Amy… that's a Toughie. She never showed interest in going into medicine like her dad .
I remember when she found out Hannah's dad was sick she did a bunch of medical research on the illness, even asking Jake about some things. I don't know if that was a sign she might be interested in the medical profession or not:

Quote:
[Cut to the Everwood Library – Dr. Hartman enters with a load of books in his arms. The Librarian is at her check out counter. Dr. Hartman walks up to the counter.]

DR. HARTMAN: Hi there.

LIBRARIAN: Sshh.

DR. HARTMAN: Hi. Doctor Jake Hartman. It’s nice to meet you.

LIBRARIAN: (going through the books) These are six weeks overdue.

DR. HARTMAN: Yeah. See, I never really went to the library back in LA, more of an amazon.com kinda guy, you know? But I thought I’d give it a shot here, it seemed Everwoody and all. Anyway, I’m-I’m obviously not so good with the book return concept. You should see my Blockbuster bill. Killer. Uh, do you take checks?

LIBRARIAN: No.

AMY: Doctor Jake?

[Dr. Hartman turns around to find Amy, looking through some books.]

AMY: (CONT'D) Can you possibly help me with something?

[Dr. Hartman walks over to Amy to talk.]

DR. HARTMAN: Sure thing. You’re Amy Abbott, right? You’re Edna’s granddaughter.

AMY: Umm, hmm.

DR. HARTMAN: I thought you looked familiar. She keeps like three pictures of you on her desk.

AMY: Yeah, she’s sweet. Umm, do you know what the basal ganglia does exactly?

DR. HARTMAN: Not a fan of small talk. Got it.

AMY: Well, I know it’s part of the brain that regulates voluntary movements and I know that the caudate nucleus is in the same part of the brain, only it’s in charge of like, organizing thoughts and awareness and stuff.

DR. HARTMAN: Yeah. Are you like pre-med or something?

AMY: Undeclared. I just don’t understand why they’re so close together, if they do such different things? It’s like selling toasters in the make-up department.

DR. HARTMAN: Well, the-the logic of brain architecture is a pretty hot debate among neuroanatomists. What are you looking at specifically?

AMY: Huntington’s disease.

DR. HARTMAN: Ooh. Huntington’s is like the cruise missile of neurodegeneration and it hits the worst spot possible.

AMY: But how do you treat it, ‘cause I haven’t seen anything here?

DR. HARTMAN: That’s because we don’t. We don’t know how yet. Maybe if Washington didn’t waste so much time arguing the moral ethics of stem cell research we’d have a cure by now, but as it stands, we got nothing. So basically if you have it, you’re gonna die. It might take a little while, but…

AMY: And how do you get it? Is it like a virus?

DR. HARTMAN: No, it’s genetic. One tweaked chromosome – the tiniest thing – you could possibly even imagine and you’re screwed for life.

AMY: Genetics. That means if one of your parents has it…

DR. HARTMAN: Then there’s a 50% chance you’re gonna have it too. Anywho, it’s super nice to meet you. I’m gonna go pay for my books and head back out. It’s pretty great outside, it’s all sunny and cold, you should try and enjoy it.

AMY: Yeah, thanks.
She said she was undeclared but this might have been a hint that she could be going into medicine eventually. Jake seemed pretty impressed with how easily she picked up on some of the research. Who knows.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote