Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2021, 02:42 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Oh yeah, I never thought about that. I guess a part of why her and Dawson never worked was cause of her upbringing with her sister being off and on with Brodie. Then being pregnant, he wasn't there, he was kind of back, then vanished again. Same with losing her mom at a young age as well. As for the running thing, it was Pacey she ran from cause her love and feelings for Pacey were INTENSE. She said that herself when she told Pacey he made her feel alive for the first time, and even in the series finale when she said Pacey's love for her is so real she has kept running from it and never ready for it. Then said if she lets him let her go, she will think it's okay to keep running and it's not. I don't get what more proof people need after that lol.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:15 PM
Passionate Fan

Also knowing that her dad cheated on her mom. I hated the dream wedding in the series final because it still showed Dawson was still living in the past and you can tell Joey wasn’t affected by him in a romantic way. She was uncomfortable though out the whole series final with him and not in a good way. Your right she run away from Pacey and it was very clear in season six. I’m just glad she didn’t run back to Dawson.

Last edited by Dawson creek fan; 04-25-2021 at 03:39 PM
Dawson creek fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Every time they tried to put Dawson and Joey together romantically it felt forced. There is no denying they had a strong friendship vibe, but intimacy between the two of them just never worked and that showed on screen. I still find it funny that there are fans out there that don't see that lack of chemistry.

icon credit: crash landing
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM
Passionate Fan

I still don’t get how some people and even some new people watching it want these two be endgame. We never saw them in a long relationship and when we did they were fighting a lot. From rewatching the show I’m like who would want to go back and watch if your a DJo fan.

Season one all we saw was him going after Jen and not even thinking about Joey in that way.

Season two we saw them together for a few episodes when they were fighting or Joey looks unhappy with him. We saw her happy or putting more care into jack relationship then Dawson’s. Then she got back together with Dawson because everyone from jack to her dad saying there soulmates and I think she felt pressured to get back together with him. Broke up a few episodes later.

Season three saw Joey and Pacey falling in love and DJo not having that much scenes together

Season four saw Pacey and Joey relationship for a full season. DJo have scenes but nothing to talk about.

Season five I guess was supposed to be there season but they never got together.

Season six they had two episodes of them and they ending up fighting and they didn’t have very much scenes after that.

So I don’t know how some people want them endgame when there really wasn’t a season that was good for them
Old 08-04-2021, 06:22 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

^^^I agree. D/J were either always fighting or the backup plan for each other, along with being a very toxic couple. I've never seen many fans rewatching for D/J or wanting them together. That's usually reserved for Pacey and Joey, but at the end of the day they never anchored D/J well. They could never live up to the obnoxious "soulmate" title they made for themselves. Pacey was Joey's true soulmate and love of her life, they always stood the test of time more than D/J did.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Passionate Fan

I find it weird that they didn’t try to do a better job instead they did a really bad job on writing there relationship since they were supposed to be endgame. I do wonder if Kevin would of wrote them just as bad as the other writers did since he wrote for them in season two. When everyone started hating them.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Although I think Dawson gets a bad rap by a lot of fans, there certainly were moments where you just can't believe he could be so insulting to his friends. Both Pacey and Joey took a lot of criticism from him and I remember it all starting back in S2 when he got drunk on his birthday, he was so mean to Pacey. I remember him being mean to Jack as well for a time and he truly did think that he had some hold on Joey like she belonged to him which is totally frustrating since nobody belongs to someone.

icon credit: crash landing
JJH85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 PM
Master Fan

As someone who was only a kid when it was airing and so didn't see it, and only discovered it years later as a teenager - and discovered PJo first - I went into season 1 already not shipping Dawson/Joey.

But I don't think I went into it expecting to hate Dawson, and especially not at the level I do now.

But even looking back on season 1, it's crazy to me to think they were supposed to be a couple people rooted for to be together.

Joey was horrible to Jen from day 1, through no fault of Jen's, and it took well into season 2 for Joey to start to drop her hatred for Jen. Even when she "got the guy" she was nasty to Jen still.

Dawson was not only oblivious - which would be fine if that was all he was - but he was just a crappy person that made you wonder what Joey and Jen even saw in him in the first place.

I mean, he has this picture of how everyone should be, this fantasy, not reality of what they're like, even Joey.

He put Jen in a box, and when she didn't fit in that (sexist) box, he reacted horribly. When Pacey moved out of his box in season 2, Dawson reacted horribly. When Joey wasn't his "perfect, sweet angel Joey" Dawson reacted badly. He always did.

Everyone else was a screw up, but he never was, according to him, when he was the worst of them all.

And when Joey wanted Dawson, he didn't want her, and when he wanted her, she didn't want him.

And then for the rest of the series it was Dawson holding onto that idea of a soulmate with Joey than actually wanting to be with her, the reality of Joey, and Joey always just not wanting to be with him.

I mean, she might go back to her security blanket once or twice along the way, but I felt like once we get past season 1, that the reality did not live up to the fantasy for Joey, and she just never really wanted him that way again. For Joey, she wanted the reality, but Dawson always wanted the fantasy.

Joey might have come back to him again in season 2 in the hopes that the fantasy would come true once again, but once it broke, and then broke again in 3x01, Joey was just...done with Dawson, romantically.

But he was still important to her, still such a big part of her life, and he was what was safe and it's easy to go back to what is safe, especially when you're Joey who hasn't had a lot of safety and security for a long time in her life.

Then there's Pacey who is real and means passion and a life together and that's scary as all get out, but he's what she wants the most. What she really wants.

I mean, after they break up in season 4, who does she run back to? Dawson. Not because she really wants him. I mean, it's only a few weeks after they broke up. He's literally her rebound lol. But he's safe and familiar and secure, like always, when she just got her heart broken.

She doesn't ask Dawson to come back to Boston for her, he does that. Later in season 5 when Dawson wants to go back to Joey (when it's convenient for him), she doesn't want that and literally calls them each other's security blankets.

She doesn't get on the plane to be with Dawson for the summer, and when Dawson screws up, of course she drops him like a hot potato and then just moves onto Eddie like so quick lol.

She even says in the show that Dawson became her only one night stand. The "soulmates" of the show, were each other's only one night stands lol. They never get back together again after 6x02. They are content that way.

They are perfectly fine just being friends for the rest of their lives. It just takes a LONG time for them to realize that (on Dawson's part) and admit that (on Joey's part).
clarkson_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:46 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I agree with all this. In general, Dawson is just a MEAN spirited person, and gets really vicious when his ego is bruised. He even treated his parents like crap. I also hated what he said about Pacey when he got drunk on his birthday. Like I've said many times before, the way he talked down to Pacey and admitted he wanted him to keep failing at life so he can feel good about himself shows their "friendship" was jack s... and didn't exist. When push came to shove, Dawson always believed the worst in Pacey (just like when he easily assumed he stole the SAT test then used that to say horrible things to Pacey) He WANTED Pacey to be the villain and couldn't wait to paint him as that. I also hated how Joey and Jen fought over him in S1 and 2, this immature ahole was not worth it *pukes* I also agree Dawson always lived in a fantasy world and had a temper tantrum when reality hit. That also included his stake on Joey and their toxic, temporary back and forth. D/J may have originally started out as the ultimate couple but they quickly showed how abusive, toxic, and dependent they were on each other. There's no way in hell it would of been believable for D/J to end up together in the series finale, they couldn't even stay together that long in S2 when they tried to have an actual relationship. Then after that it was a cluster that could never get off the ground. Soulmates my ass. That belongs to Pacey, P/J easily had the better writing in their relationship than D/J.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:14 PM
Master Fan

Oh exactly. He was literally a Nice Guy. He pretended to be nice and when he didn't get his way or a girl didn't like him, he showed his true colors. He wanted to be seen as the hero of his own life when really he was the villain.

And totally agree about that party. I don't know how any of them stayed friends with him after that, idc that Dawson half heartedly apologized to Joey. He said horrible things to every one he supposedly cared about, and none of it it was ever true. He was just letting his actually feelings out and acting like he was right about it all.

What he said to Pacey...idk how Pacey didn't drop him as a friend right then and there (although I wonder if that was the moment their friendship snapped - after all in their 621 argument Dawson said that even before Joey they hadn't been true friends for quite some time, which is the TRUTH. But because of Dawson, not because of Pacey. But of course Dawson is too self centered to see that.)

But also what he said to Jen, basically **** shaming her. The horrible homophobic crap he said to Jack, how he mocked him, and the sexist, possessive crap he said to Joey.

And like they say, when you're drunk your inhibitions are lowered and the truth comes out....

Also while he was drunk, him just kissing Joey was gross, and her face just showing how much she doesn't want it...man he deserved her shoving him into that cake.

And yep, totally agree that Dawson is like one the most unworthy people to be the focus of a love triangle. No wonder the Jen/Dawson/Joey triangle wasn't that big of one and wasn't the defining one of the show, because two people fighting over Dawson just doesn't make sense lol.

And yep, they had like what...2 eps, max, into season 2 before their cracks started to show...no wait, not even that.

Because 2x02 is Pacey's birthday episode and that's the big Joey/Dawson fight over her diary (he was SUCH a bastard to both Pacey and Joey in that whole episode)

Like...I just don't get how we were supposed to root for them when not even 2 eps into them being together, Dawson violates Joey's privacy, then has no remorse for it and proceeds to care more about what she said then trying to make up for violating her privacy in such a way. He was SO self absorbed that I'm astonished if anyone thinks otherwise. Like it was probably to a narcissistic degree...I wouldn't be surprised if Dawson's character fits into what a narcissist is....

And yep, totally agree. Maybe that's part of what led to KW not having them end up together. (Not only because it just plain wasn't right, but he knew it wouldn't have been believable for them to be with each other for the rest of their lives, to end up together.) Dawson and Joey always worked as a fantasy, but never in reality. They liked talking more about their "great love" than actually living it, because their great love didn't actually exist.

PJo was better in every conceivable way.

Last edited by clarkson_fan; 08-06-2021 at 11:52 PM
Old 08-06-2021, 11:06 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I agree, alcohol is truth serum. He obviously meant everything he said about everyone. I forgot his ignorant homophobic comments about Jack and trying to kiss Joey was just as horrible as what he said to Pacey. His supposed "best friend." Like I said, he's just an ahole and I don't get how they stayed friends with his dumb ass either. I also hated when Dawson read Joey's diary cause yeah, he invaded HER privacy then tried to act like he was the victim. Dawson is a very self absorbed, narcissistic character for sure. He also invaded Joey's privacy when he tried to make that weird movie about their breakup. WTF is that? I remember I didn't like Dawson back when I watched the show but now that I'm older, I realize even more how self absorbed, toxic, and abusive he really is. Along with being a prick that thinks the world revolves around his selfish ass. He's truly the worst and it's even more fitting he ended the show by himself (If he ended up with Joey they would still be having a breakup every five seconds with him attacking, abusing, and emotionally blackmailing Joey the rest of their lives. Yuck) while Joey ended up with her true love Pacey.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Passionate Fan

Someone on Twitter brought up the DJo conversation in the series final saying when Joey was saying soulmates to Dawson that she say it out of pity. I always wonder if Joey really believed they were soulmates or she just said that to please Dawson.

I don’t know if it was Katie or the show telling us she doesn’t believe there romantic soulmates I might even say she doesn’t believe there soulmates at all and just best friends.

I honestly think she felt like she had to get back together because everyone said they would end up together or keep trying when she really didn’t want to.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Master Fan

Ya know, aside from the series finale, I don't remember when Joey says they're soulmates in the series, at all. It was always Dawson declaring them soulmates....

If you guys remember any instance before the series finale of Joey calling Dawson her soulmate, lemme know, because I am honestly...blanking.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:18 PM
Passionate Fan

She never said it in season one but I don’t think Dawson did ether until season two.

I don’t remember her saying it in season two, three or four. She might of said it season five but I know Pacey, jack and Audrey did in the fifth season. Nobody in season six said it until the series final with jack,Dawson and Joey saying it.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:51 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I never thought about it, but I don't recall Joey calling her and Dawson soulmates either. That was always in his big melodramatic head.
Reply   Post New Thread