Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
I am just curious, though. I know which roles Jessica has won as well as the ones for which she has been seriously considered (damn that bland Emily Van Camp for getting the Captain America role, even if I never planned to see that movie unless Jessica was in it). But what do we know about which roles Michelle has or has not gotten? I know she filmed the paint-by-numbers Liam Neeson action film about an air marshall (when did HE become so one-note?). But do we know what other offers she had? Whether they offered enough money to lure her away from DA? (I take it she is making about $1.5 or $2 million for this season, which doesn't seem like much considering the success of the show.) Was it a case of not getting good enough offers to lure her away, or of just making a judgment call to stick with it for two more years?
That’s a good question, and of course, I don’t know anything. But I surmise that MD’s offers are not near JBF’s for two easy reasons: we haven’t heard news of her being in the running for big roles and she’s still on DA.

I’m pretty sure if MD were up for a major movie role opposite Colin Ferrill her agent (and after all she is the agency’s big star J) or certainly her rabid fans would have let us know. Also if she had such offers, IMO she would also leave DA in spite of her character owning the show. Would have been riding shotgun in Chekov’s car with Matthew.

Unfair as it is at the tender age of 31, MD has way less career window left than JBF does. She’s also way more prone to typecasting. I saw her recently in the new Anna Karenina where she had a small role as guess what – a bitchy aristo. She played the part exactly like, well, Mary. I believe she also did a stage version of Uncle Vanya.

Those are very respectable, classic roles, and there would be no shame in MD having a career of such parts. Maybe that’s preferable to having your 15 minutes of Hollywood fame. But I just don’t see MD getting the kind of varied parts JBF is getting, and if she got one, I believe she would jump at it. Any of them would.

I know some of bitter MD fans say its all about the sensuality gap, and that JBF's appeal is only that and not acting ability. But casting agents are obviously seeing something more in her; even her two indies Lullabye and Driven are top shelf indies with impressive casts and directors. Also her reviews in the projects she has already done are uniformly positive, in some cases raves (Albatross, Black Mirror) . In fact, the most ambivalent acting reviews she's ever gotten have been for DA.
phillips32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
And I think in S4 her "difficult" relationship with her baby will make her less sympathetic. Doubtless the story makes sense: PPD is no joke and given the situation is more understandable. Her stans will defend her every action. But after three years of hot-and-cold from her, especially her S3 bitchy and entitled behavior, the average viewer might be weary of it. Doubtless in the end she will soften and regain general sympathy, but the formula has worn thin and I do believe all but the rabid Mary stans will not care all that much. Enough to say "great performance" but not enough to get all that invested.

I mean, Tom Branson lost his wife in a worse way (IMO) and we never saw him struggle at all with loving his child. If anything he came across as a positively ideal and totally sympathetic father figure. And he was alone, with little support and no safety net, whereas Mary will have a houseful of people at her beck and call, totally focused on her happiness as always.
I'm hoping this is one of those oversold spoilers DA is now famous for, because I'd have a really hard time with a PPD story. It seems too modern, like the breast cancer scare. Of course PPD was around then, but was barely acknowledged and when it was, the new Mom was told to take aspirin and go lie down. And how would anyone separate it from grief over the sudden death of her husband?

A "difficult relationship" with her baby also sound clanky to me for exactly the reason HB said. If anyone is going to have trouble accepting a child it should have been Tom. If he bonded lovingly with his child, Mary sure as hell should be able to; after all little Prince Georgie had nothing to do with his Father's death. She'd cling to him, not reject him. I'd buy overprotective and controlling way before I'd buy distant.

I'd rather see Mary getting involved in running the estate.

Actually, I do see Matthew's death as a needed reset for Mary. M&M had all the appeal of soggy toast, maybe because of DS lack of interest in his role. I hope the new guy will at least challenge her like Sir Richard did. Doesn't have to be nasty and conniving like Sir Ric, just have a pair and keep them out of Mary's grasp.
phillips32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips32 (View Post)
Also if she had such offers, IMO she would also leave DA in spite of her character owning the show. Would have been riding shotgun in Chekov’s car with Matthew.
And then DA would have ended, because there's no way Fellowes would continue with this show without Mary.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips32 (View Post)
That’s a good question, and of course, I don’t know anything. But I surmise that MD’s offers are not near JBF’s for two easy reasons: we haven’t heard news of her being in the running for big roles and she’s still on DA.

I’m pretty sure if MD were up for a major movie role opposite Colin Ferrill her agent (and after all she is the agency’s big star J) or certainly her rabid fans would have let us know. Also if she had such offers, IMO she would also leave DA in spite of her character owning the show. Would have been riding shotgun in Chekov’s car with Matthew.

Unfair as it is at the tender age of 31, MD has way less career window left than JBF does. She’s also way more prone to typecasting. I saw her recently in the new Anna Karenina where she had a small role as guess what – a bitchy aristo. She played the part exactly like, well, Mary. I believe she also did a stage version of Uncle Vanya.

Those are very respectable, classic roles, and there would be no shame in MD having a career of such parts. Maybe that’s preferable to having your 15 minutes of Hollywood fame. But I just don’t see MD getting the kind of varied parts JBF is getting, and if she got one, I believe she would jump at it. Any of them would.

I know some of bitter MD fans say its all about the sensuality gap, and that JBF's appeal is only that and not acting ability. But casting agents are obviously seeing something more in her; even her two indies Lullabye and Driven are top shelf indies with impressive casts and directors. Also her reviews in the projects she has already done are uniformly positive, in some cases raves (Albatross, Black Mirror) . In fact, the most ambivalent acting reviews she's ever gotten have been for DA.
The ambivalent reviews IMO had everything to do with the writing and little to do with her.

She knew she was not on Fellowes' list of priorities. The sparse and repetitive scenes she had to endure in S2 and S3 attested to that. She DID get a good death scene but hey, that's like the gold watch. There is only so much you can do with that material, and on some level she might have already checked out just like Dan did.

And directing might have played its role as well.

As for "sensuality" tipping the scales, so what if it does? It is every bit as important as "classic beauty" (which she has also) and that is at least half of Michelle's appeal anyway. That and being tall and skinny.

DA tends to get its best reviews (at least from fans) for acting. A lot of people stick with it purely for love of certain characters/actors and production value. Those who claim it is brilliantly written seem to be relying on S1 and Maggie Smith's dialogue.

As someone said (I don't remember who), Fellowes has been pouring water over the same tea leaves for too long now. I can't blame any of them for wanting a new drink.
HarshBench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
The ambivalent reviews IMO had everything to do with the writing and little to do with her.

She knew she was not on Fellowes' list of priorities. The sparse and repetitive scenes she had to endure in S2 and S3 attested to that. She DID get a good death scene but hey, that's like the gold watch. There is only so much you can do with that material, and on some level she might have already checked out just like Dan did.
IMO JBF was giving her best and was involved in her role till the end, unlike Dan. Dan actually contributed to making Matthew look quite pathetic in S3. What we actually saw in S3 from him was non-acting. I swear if there were equivalents of Golden Raspberries in TV world, he would surely get a nomination, if not a win . IMO it's simply the more and more critical atmosphere around DA that contributes to negative opinions even the ones concerning the actors.

Because of DS, M/M also lost their chemistry, whereas S/T preserved their incredible chemistry till the very end.

Frankly, when I look at Matthew I think that he actually regressed - he's never been a particularly interesting character, but IMO in the end he regressed to a randy sap who was complying with Mary's every wish (though JF turned him into such because of his impending demise). Sybil at least clearly matured throughout 3 series. The problem with her in S3 was not that her scenes were bad, but that there wasn't enough of them and a lot of things that should have been shown - weren't shown. And of course her death practically destroyed, wasted and undermined eveything what was before, but we've all already elaborated on this here multiple times since 3x05.

Last edited by Patano; 03-11-2013 at 04:41 PM
Patano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patano (View Post)
IMO JBF was giving her best and was involved in her role till the end, unlike Dan. Dan actually contributed to making Matthew look quite pathetic in S3. What we actually saw in S3 from him was non-acting. I swear if there were equivalents of Golden Raspberries in TV world, he would surely get a nomination, if not a win . IMO it's simply the more and more critical atmosphere around DA that contributes to negative opinions even the ones concerning the actors.

Because of DS, M/M also lost their chemistry, whereas S/T preserved their incredible chemistry till the very end.

Frankly, when I look at Matthew I think that he actually regressed - he's never been a particularly interesting character, but IMO in the end he regressed to a randy sap who was complying with Mary's every wish (though JF turned him into such because of his impending demise). Sybil at least clearly matured throughout 3 series. The problem with her in S3 was not that her scenes were bad, it was that there wasn't enough of them and a lot of things that should have been shown - weren't shown. And of course her death practically destroyed, wasted and undermined eveything what was before, but we've all already elaborated on this here multiple times since 3x05.

Oh God, Matthew had grown insufferable by the end. Sybil came across as more subdued, but mature and strong-minded in her own quiet way.

But Matthew was just plain irritating. The creepy sex talk, the honorable talk of refusing the money followed by total capitulation based on flimsy evidence (those stupid letters), the way he heaped love talk and validation on Mary at the end of every tedious dull day of bossiness and bitchery.

The only things I liked about him were his challenging Robert and supporting Tom and Edith.
HarshBench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Master Fan

A group of Downton fans have come together to support Allen Leech in his effort to run the London Marathon on April 21st for CentrepointUK Click here to Donate.

Please, all Allen fans: Help Allen to support this good cause and donate money for it.

Even 1£ can make a difference! 1£ is not much money, it should be possible for all of us to afford it, wouldn’t it?

And no matter where you are in the world, you can donate per credit card or paypal.

Help Allen in donating for his cause, it would be so great if we could get every Allen fan out there to donate at least 1£ to his good cause. Let’s make him proud of his fans!

And please all, help spreading the word.

Follow @alsfangirlspwr on twitter #alsfangirls

Reblogg Tumblr: Every Fangirl Can Make A Difference

Or Like on Facebook

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
ScarletCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Juat came here to post the link to my Xmas fic's finale: All Those Christmases Chapter 7: Family, a downton abbey fanfic | FanFiction

I plan soon to start working on Season 3 rewrite - maybe someone will be interested.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Elite Fan

this should be updated on the board guide. i had such a hard time finding this thread, you guys move fast.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

baileycat posted this and I thought people on this board may like a revival as we are getting closer to the new series.

How do people feel about Tom's new proposed love interest for s4?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Master Fan

I for one have no interest in Tom's new love interest. Sorry.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletCourt (View Post)
I for one have no interest in Tom's new love interest. Sorry.
I'm curious as to how JF has written it, or as somebody said on a previous thread, Tom will have all the same sort of SLs.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Master Fan

Whatever the story lines are, I doubt that I will like it. After how Tom's grief wasn't really dealt with until a year later in story in the C/S, I'm sorry, but I don't trust that the stories being told going forward will be good enough.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 AM
Loyal Fan

I have no interest in S4 at all. If not for the love interest, I would take an interest in Tom and Sybbie, but as such - I don't care at all. The fact that JF needs to throw a new love interest here (still so early) proves to me that he does not know what to do with Tom anymore. It's just lazy writing.
My whole opinion on the matter is here and here.

I prefer to stay in AU land. My AU fics (including my rewrite of S3 in progress) may be found under the link in my signature. That's all from me.

Last edited by Patano; 08-09-2013 at 05:12 AM
Patano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

The new promo pic, what struck me is that Tom is in Sybil's usual place (bar last year's pic) and on the family side.